BGSU Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGSU Offseason Thread

The BG Coaches Caravan rolled through Columbus this evening, had the chance to talk to coach Bergeron 1-on-1 for nearly 20 min. Highlights below:

Good season, kids felt good. Program is ahead of schedule. Seniors haven’t internalized how close they were to the NCAA’s and that they won’t get another crack at it. They know they left the program better than they found it. We’re losing leadership and minutes with the departing seniors, but not a big hit in scoring (which is good). He made an interesting comment; this year’s underclassmen know the program only on its upward trajectory, they don’t remember the lean years like the seniors do. The team now has workout shirts with .0002 printed on them. The kids liked the outdoor game in Toledo (except for the lousy weather) and they continue to work the relationship up there. I took this to mean there will be future outdoor games.

Overall, recruiting continues to improve. Now able to get conversations with more top echelon recruits, but not wasting time on kids who only want to play for York or in MN. We are better able to pick and choose who we invest our recruiting time in. Incoming freshman class is as good as the current (previous?) Freshman class.

Facilities are in good shape, getting good hockey alumni support. Morrow, Bylsma, Ellet, Blake, McPhee, Hills and Wilson (RPI) were some of the names he dropped as alumni who have stopped by.

Need to hang on to assistant coaches. It’s OK to lose one to a head coaching position, can’t afford to lose one to another assistant coaching spot (does Ty need a raise?). Sensing BG is once again becoming a destination for recruits and coaches like it was before.

He is pleased with the fan support. He feels the support on campus and with the alumni. Fire marshal told the AD to stop selling tickets to the OSU game. He twice mentioned the current president and AD are fully behind the program and the president has been attending games.

He likes where we’re positioned for realignment (should that come). He mentioned ASU could go to the B1G but they’d need another team as a 7 team league won’t work. He seemed to think WCHA was behind Nacho on the list as we would expect travel cashola and Nacho teams self-fund their travel.

Speaking of self-funding travel, I asked him what he’s hearing at his alma mater, Miami State. “They’re towing the company line; everything’s great, couldn’t be better.” He then went on to say Miami State’s travel budget in the CCHA days was $100k but now it’s up to $250k (they fly everywhere except WMU). Not sure how that plays out given attendance at the Noggin isn’t any better than it used to be so there’s no revenue offset from attendance. We, of course, bus everywhere except AK. Apparently the last trip to Bemidji was 20 hours. Blech.

AD said COA would cost $800k across all sports and that we’re going to be playing. Make those Falcon Club donations count.

In short, the program is in good shape, recruiting continues to improve, funds are available, support is improving, things continue to look up for us.

Re: BGSU Offseason Thread

Thanks for the recap. Is it possible for you (or I could do it) to copy this and paste it into a post on www.Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com in the hockey forum? We have a few fans who check out this board but we have more who only go there and I'm sure that they would like to read this.
    Last edited by BGFan; 05-13-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
      Thanks for the recap. Is it possible for you (or I could do it) to copy this and pasted it into a post on www.Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com in the hockey forum? We have a few fans who check out this board but we have more who only go there and I'm sure that they would like to read this.
      Have at it!

Comment

Carelton Place and BGSU recruit Stephen Baylis have advanced to the RBC Cup final for the second straight year. Baylis had a goal in regulation and is the team captain. They play Portage, the host team, in the Final tomorrow.
        I think Baylis is coming to BG this Fall, but I think I heard Bergeron say he might not be eligible right away in the fall due to some NCAA clearing house issues..........

Comment

so if Baylis has eligibility issues and with Coulter opting for Hopkins and LAX, who are we likely to see in the Fall and beyond? recent updates?

2015-2016?
          Ferrari (D)
          McDonald (D)
          Pohlkamp (D)
          Bednard, S. (F)
          Craggs, L. (F)
          McKeown (F)
          Schilling (F)
          Baylis (F)

2016-2017 or 2017-2018?
          Bednard, R. (G)
          Ernst (D)
          Musser (D)
          Craggs, S. (F)
          Houle (F)
          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
            Carelton Place and BGSU recruit Stephen Baylis have advanced to the RBC Cup final for the second straight year. Baylis had a goal in regulation and is the team captain. They play Portage, the host team, in the Final tomorrow.
            I think Baylis is coming to BG this Fall, but I think I heard Bergeron say he might not be eligible right away in the fall due to some NCAA clearing house issues..........
            I don't know how serious the issue is, but if he can't get through the clearinghouse now, he might not ever be eligible.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

According to overtheboards.net this is how our classes are slotted right now.

BOWLING GREEN
              2016 or 2017 Matthew Ferrari-LD 2/3/2015 Toronto Jr.Canadiens (OJHL) 6' 175 12/13/97
              2016 or 2017 Sam Craggs-LW 3/20/2014 Team Illinois U18 6'1 184 2/11/97
              2016 or 2017 Jordan Ernst-LD 11/14/2014 Chicago Mission U18 6' /97
              2016 Ryan Bednard-G 10/8/2014 Johnstown (NAHL) 6' 4 185 3/31/97
              2016 Lukas Craggs-LW 3/20/2014 Youngstown (USHL) 5'10 165 5/16/96
              2016 Michael Houle-RW 9/4/2013 Green Bay (USHL) 6'2 155 6/22/96

2015 or 2016 Chris Pohlkamp-RD 11/17/2014 Sioux Falls (USHL) 5'10 195 7/6/95

2015 Stephen Baylis-LW 9/27/2014 Carleton Place (CJHL) 6' 186 8/1/94
              2015 Shane Bednard-RW 2/7/2014 Bloomington (USHL) 5'11 165 11/22/94
              2015 Joe McKeown-LW 1/10/2014 Wellington (OJHL) 6'1 180 9/20/94
              2015 John Schilling-C 7/26/13 Chicago (USHL) 6'0 175 1/18/95
              2015 Connor McDonald-RD 9/3/2012 Chicago (USHL) 6'2 170 10/24/95

As far as Baylis, it sounded like a similar credit hour situation to Braden Pears last year. Pears was eligible after the Fall semester. Bergeron was vague in the interview, but it sounded like an appeal of Baylis is already ongoing.
              Hopefully he can play at some point. Baylis and McKeown are the two guys that it looks like can help the offense right away.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                According to overtheboards.net this is how our classes are slotted right now.

As far as Baylis, it sounded like a similar credit hour situation to Braden Pears last year. Pears was eligible after the Fall semester. Bergeron was vague in the interview, but it sounded like an appeal of Baylis is already ongoing.
                Hopefully he can play at some point. Baylis and McKeown are the two guys that it looks like can help the offense right away.
                hope you're right about Baylis.

not sure how up-to-date Heisenberg's info is...he doesn't have Musser listed, and he's signed an NLI.

Comment

Congrats to the Hamburglar!

Andrew Hammond ‏@andrewhammond30 27 minutes ago
                  Fire up the grills! Excited to be coming back to @Senators for 3 more years! 🍔🍔🍔

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 18 minutes ago
                  The average annual value of Hammond’s extension is $1.35M ($1.2M, $1.35M, $1.5M) 🍔🍔🍔

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                    Congrats to the Hamburglar!

Andrew Hammond ‏@andrewhammond30 27 minutes ago
                    Fire up the grills! Excited to be coming back to @Senators for 3 more years! 🍔🍔🍔

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 18 minutes ago
                    The average annual value of Hammond’s extension is $1.35M ($1.2M, $1.35M, $1.5M) 🍔🍔🍔
                    This is good to hear. Now they need a #30 Sens jersey to hang in the player's lounge.

Comment

Scooter Jess wins the Glenn Sharp Award for Nat'l Equipment Mgr of the Yr!

The Glenn Sharp Award
                      Glenn Sharp was known as the “Father” of our organization. Glenn was a long time Equipment manager at Bowling Green. Glenn and a handful of other equipment managers first met in June of 1973 in Atlanta Georgia to get the ball rolling. Glenn and his wife Helen started the AEMA office in 1974. Glenn went on to be the first Elected President of the organization in 1979. Glenn then went on to be the Associate Executive Director in 1983 and held that position until his death on October 1, 2000. Glenn was the first recipient of the Glenn Sharp award that we proudly name after him today.
                      Last edited by blackswampboy; 06-07-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

BGSU Athletics ‏@BGathletics 6 minutes ago
                        BGSU Hockey Coach Chris Bergeron Signs Five-Year Contract Extension

http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2015/6/8...608151939.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                          BGSU Athletics ‏@BGathletics 6 minutes ago
                          BGSU Hockey Coach Chris Bergeron Signs Five-Year Contract Extension

http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2015/6/8...608151939.aspx
                          Certainly welcomed news. SBN has a nice comment at the end of their release.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wcha...erons-contract

"The Falcons show no signs of slowing down either. They return 13 of their top 15 scorers from last season as well as all three of their goalies and should be among the favorites in the WCHA next season."

Comment

RIP, Greg Parks (1967-2015).

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/06/fo...s-passes-away/

Comment

He arrived just after I graduated, but I remember him from a couple games I saw post-graduation. Sad news.

Comment

Working...
                              X