PDA

View Full Version : How was your experience in Boston?

Pages : [1] 2 3

maineiac
04-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Out of towners, how was your experience in Boston? How was the city, venue, traffic, public transportation, accomodations, and anything else you would like to comment on? Just not the weather. We know too well about that!

The Rube
04-12-2015, 09:56 PM
From what I heard from my friends (about 12-15 traveled out there), they had a blast. I fully expect some fun stories to be told around the ol' campfire. I kind of regret not going.

Siouxfaninseattle
04-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm afraid that if you ask for comments, the weather has to be included - it sucked! Until today anyway. Wednesday night it was 36 with rain, sleet and wind. It got better though, yesterday was sunny but 40 mph winds. Today was great - high 60s and sunny - same for tomorrow (I leave on Tuesday). Other stuff - hockey :(, but at least the games were good. Our seats were in the 6th row in the balcony, and I was disappointed - you couldn't see the action if it was by the near boards. Food is very good - we ate at a couple of places suggested and they were great. Bars by the arena were fun. Funny story from the pre-game Sioux party - the Omaha party was in the same bar as the Sioux party. We were standing near the stairs (there are 4 floors) when a bunch of Omaha people got there. One lady saw the sign that said "Omaha 4th floor" and asked where our party was. I said "floors one, two and three". She looked at the floor and started climbing the stairs. :DTransit worked well - easy to get around. Biggest drawback to Boston is prices - yikes! But that's what we were told to expect. All in all, I would call it a good trip.

The Rube
04-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Biggest drawback to Boston is prices - yikes! But that's what we were told to expect. All in all, I would call it a good trip.

For reference: what does an average burger cost in a sports bar; and/or a macro brew cost?

FireKnight
04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
The prices weren't all that bad but I stayed out of downtown, opting for some sports bars and pubs outside the North Station area. The public transportation is great.

Otherwise, the City did very little to support the event. IMO, they were outdone by Philly, Denver, and definitely Tampa. The pregame in a small parking lot was just a joke.

brassbonanza
04-12-2015, 10:47 PM
For reference: what does an average burger cost in a sports bar; and/or a macro brew cost?

Burger will run ~8-10 depending on the place, macro brew would likely run in the $5 ballpark, again, depending on the place.

The Rube
04-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Burger will run ~8-10 depending on the place, macro brew would likely run in the $5 ballpark, again, depending on the place.

That's cheaper than I thought, actually. A touch on the pricey side, but not terrible, considering the region.

brassbonanza
04-12-2015, 10:51 PM
That's cheaper than I thought, actually. A touch on the pricey side, but not terrible, considering the region.

I mean, it could easily get higher for sure, but around the Garden area, you should be able to find a simple cheeseburger/fries and a Bud Light at that price without much difficulty.

The Rube
04-12-2015, 10:55 PM
I mean, it could easily get higher for sure, but around the Garden area, you should be able to find a simple cheeseburger/fries and a Bud Light at that price without much difficulty.

I was looking for a common denominator, truth be told. I wouldn't order a macro. ;) Micros/foreign are usually all over the board, depending on where you are. And a burger is standard fare at a sports place. :)

I was asking for future reference. One day I'll make it out east.

FireKnight
04-12-2015, 10:55 PM

The place that I liked the most was a little Irish pub in Cambridge near my hotel. $8.25 for a bacon cheddar cheeseburger that was easily a 1/3 lb. burger, probably closer to a half, with fries. The beers, $4 for a Harpoon pint.

Siouxfaninseattle
04-12-2015, 10:57 PM
I guess I found the high priced places. We had two tap beers and a glass of wine at an "upscale" bar near our hotel. The tab was $26. We had a couple of beers at Union Oyster House and it was $13.38. We ate at a sports bar a couple of streets off the main drag and the lunch tab was $28 (no alcohol). The Fours (right by the Gahden) had a great lunch special - burger and fries or soup for $9. Beers were reasonable - about $5.

The Rube
04-12-2015, 10:58 PM
The place that I liked the most was a little Irish pub in Cambridge near my hotel. $8.25 for a bacon cheddar cheeseburger that was easily a 1/3 lb. burger, probably closer to a half, with fries. The beers, $4 for a Harpoon pint.

NOW we're talking! :D

The Rube
04-12-2015, 11:00 PM
I guess I found the high priced places. We had two tap beers and a glass of wine at an "upscale" bar near our hotel. The tab was $26. We had a couple of beers at Union Oyster House and it was $13.38. We ate at a sports bar a couple of streets off the main drag and the lunch tab was $28 (no alcohol). The Fours (right by the Gahden) had a great lunch special - burger and fries or soup for $9. Beers were reasonable - about $5.

Again, not terrible. My avg bill at Old Chicago in Mpls (suburb location to be exact) on an NFL Sunday is about $40, and that's two apps and 3-4 pints of beer (specials on food are in effect).

Patman
04-12-2015, 11:08 PM
NOW we're talking! :D

man, that'd be such a great happy place... I can't think of having that kind of luck in any large city

The Rube
04-12-2015, 11:11 PM
man, that'd be such a great happy place... I can't think of having that kind of luck in any large city

Those prices are closer to Mpls pricing. We ain't exactly a small town....

Patman
04-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Those prices are closer to Mpls pricing. We ain't exactly a small town....

Just going on personal experience... I can't think of the last time I paid $4 for a craft draft in a large city.

FireKnight
04-12-2015, 11:14 PM

I went for a beer or two near the Garden both nights and found the prices to be higher, but I'm more comfortable in an old Irish pub. I went in Saturday afternoon and there were more people there interested in some English grass hockey match than the Yanks/Sox game. I was happy though. I went into the pub on Friday night and they gave me a drink on the house simply because I was wearing my fire department jacket. :D

The Rube
04-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Just going on personal experience... I can't think of the last time I paid $4 for a craft draft in a large city.

I hear ya. Obviously local craft would be cheaper (for here, that would be Summit, Schells, Surly for the most well-known).

The Rube
04-12-2015, 11:15 PM
I went for a beer or two near the Garden both nights and found the prices to be higher, but I'm more comfortable in an old Irish pub. I went in Saturday afternoon and there were more people there interested in some English grass hockey match than the Yanks/Sox game. I was happy though. I went into the pub on Friday night and they gave me a drink on the house simply because I was wearing my fire department jacket. :D

A good neighborhood pub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> regular bar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hotspot.

brassbonanza
04-12-2015, 11:17 PM

Well, of course you found the high priced stuff, you had beer at the Union Oyster House. :P