Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

There is no way you can blame 11 wins Teslak seasons on Teslak. He had little to no help.
    Last edited by stuckinwi; 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM.
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I believe that amount is prior to the extension going in effect. I would presume next year's salary report will show it.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Neither Amadio nor Durno played for Russell. Engelhardt, Wilson, Murphy, Conner were all recruited by Sertich but did play for Russell.

Looking through things to give my other thoughts.
        Thanks for the correction on Amadio and Durno...they finished in the spring of 2003 and Jamie came in the summer. If we drop them, I'd add Teslak and maybe Scott or Jordan Baker. In evaluating what's meant by "best players" I'm thinking of both their college and pro careers and not just based on stats but on contribution. The Russell years were mostly a long, joyless haul with a few bright spots and to be frank, I tuned out for much of it after having actively followed the team since the 70s. It's interesting to see who the standouts were because there were relatively few. A surprising number of players from that era ended up not completing four years because they were cut, left the team or moved down to DIII/CIS programs. A larger number never played professionally after leaving Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
          As was Jake Jackson.

Matt Roy and Reid Sturos are at the Los Angeles Kings' development camp.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/07/06...ter-and-notes/
          Does anyone know if Heinonen has attended / is attending any NHL camps? He had a very nice season despite being in and out the first couple of series and a short period out with an injury. I would think Mel would have hooked him up similar to what he has done for Sturos the last couple of years.

Comment

In the paraphrased words of a former player from the early 2000s era - We gave scholarships to anyone back then. There were plenty of guys on the roster that were not at the playing level of D-I hockey.
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              i just don't think you go to Michigan with your eyes on the nhl, it's more of a destination job then western.
              I know Blashill was at Western but not long and off to the AHL.
              Blashill completed one season at Western and had signed a contract extension with a nice raise. Then, very unexpectedly, Mike Babcock called and offered the assistant's job in Detroit. He spent one season behind the Detroit bench before going to Grand Rapids.

Whatever Muckalt's goals or on whatever path his career takes him, I am pretty sure we will see him again at a higher level, be it NCAA Head Coach or NHL or AHL assistant in the future. He's a good hockey man. Great to see him have this opportunity in the USHL.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                In the paraphrased words of a former player from the early 2000s era - We gave scholarships to anyone back then. There were plenty of guys on the roster that were not at the playing level of D-I hockey.
                Ryan J
                Just curious, was Jordan Foote the only NHL drafted player in that era or are there others that I can't recall?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Just curious, was Jordan Foote the only NHL drafted player in that era or are there others that I can't recall?
                  I believe he and Bryan Perez were the only ones drafted under Sertich or Russell. Well of the players that actually made it to Houghton (Zabotel).

Phil Axtell made central scouting.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Dane Birks is the only husky attending Penguins camp this year.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The Mel Pearson radio show will be taped tomorrow for Monday broadcast. Email any questions to Dirk prior to 10:00 a.m. tomorrow
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Anyone have the Jamie Russell "DEFENSE!" graphic handy? Need it for another forum...
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Comment

I guess you would have to clarify if the list is regarding best college players or players who have had great overall careers. Scott has certainly turned into an above average professional player, but 19 pts in 4 seasons (even for a D-man) is hardly a stand-out college career.

While I was looking up his stats, I was surprised to realize that he averages less than 2 PIMs per game in the NHL. For all the folks that love to rail on Scott as a dirty player, those kind of stats don't back it up. He gets attention because his PIMs usually come 5 at a time and when he does hit someone, the other player often ends up in a heap on the ice. I call it "Rec League Refing"... Ohhhh, that looked bad, I better call something. In reality, the play tripped himself and fell awkwardly with an opposing player nearby.

Mike Milbury's epic rant on John Scott
                            https://youtu.be/aPhC3N8pG4w
                            How much can you respect someone's opinion who is most famous for climbing into the stands as a player and attacking a fan with a shoe? Mike's only goal is to be the US based Don Cherry. My opinion, don't have your head down when there is a 6'7" player in the area. I've seen far worse hits get far less attention.

welcome to Wayne Gretzky hockey, Mike.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

While I was looking up his stats, I was surprised to realize that he averages less than 2 PIMs per game in the NHL. For all the folks that love to rail on Scott as a dirty player, those kind of stats don't back it up. He gets attention because his PIMs usually come 5 at a time and when he does hit someone, the other player often ends up in a heap on the ice. I call it "Rec League Refing"... Ohhhh, that looked bad, I better call something. In reality, the play tripped himself and fell awkwardly with an opposing player nearby.
                              1. 2 PIMs/Gm is a very high number. Only 11 players played at least 20 games with 2 PIMs/game last year, Scott included, and Scott had the fewest fights per game of that group.

2. He only averages 7:08 of ice time per game in his career. He's spending nearly as much time in the box as he does on the ice.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                                Does anyone know if Heinonen has attended / is attending any NHL camps? He had a very nice season despite being in and out the first couple of series and a short period out with an injury. I would think Mel would have hooked him up similar to what he has done for Sturos the last couple of years.
                                The official release on Huskies attending camps.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20150708u1jv8f

Eight Huskies Participating in NHL Camps

HOUGHTON, Mich. — Jamie Phillips, one of eight Michigan Tech hockey players taking part in NHL Development camps, was featured in the Winnipeg Sun recently. The Huskies goaltender is one of five NHL draft picks on the 2015-16 roster.

The story on Phillips is here.

Michigan Tech's NHL Draft Picks
                                Dane Birks, F (Pittsburgh, 2013, 6th round—164th)
                                Jake Jackson, F (San Jose, 2013, 7th round—201st)
                                Jamie Phillips (Winnipeg, 2012, 7th round—190th)
                                Matt Roy, D (Los Angeles, 2015, 7th round—194th)
                                Cliff Watson, D (San Jose, 2012, 6th round —168th)

Huskies at NHL Development Camps
                                Dane Birks (Pittsburgh)
                                Jake Jackson (San Jose)
                                Tanner Kero (Chicago)
                                Jamie Phillips (Winnipeg)
                                Blake Pietila (New Jersey)
                                Matt Roy (Los Angeles)
                                Reid Sturos (Los Angeles)
                                Cliff Watson (San Jose)

Comment

Working...
                                X