Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    There are two separate rules. One for the junior leagues and one for the US colleges.

I think that all of the junior leagues say that you can't play if you turn 21 during the calendar year when the season starts. You can turn 21 during the season, but it must be after the new year starts. So this season being 2014-15, the oldest players are born early in 1994.

The NCAA takes away a year of eligibility if a player plays juniors after their 21st birthday without being enrolled in college and taking some minimum about of courses. So players this year who were born early in 1994 enroll in a local community college and take courses. They use up one of their five years that the NCAA allows for using their four years of eligibility since that clock starts clicking when they enroll in any college, but they don't use up a year of eligibility. The net effect is that the player can't redshirt.

Congrats on your season!

That is correct Gordy Defiel turned 21 his last season in juniors so he came to Lssu with just three years of eligibility.
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Tanner not in the Hobey Hat Trick, can't say that I expected him to be part of it and it was nice just to see him in the final 10.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

From the season recap of In the Crease, it doesn't sound like Jamie is going anywhere next year.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          From the season recap of In the Crease, it doesn't sound like Jamie is going anywhere next year.
          Thank God, with Williams leaving and Motte graduating it just makes Jamie firmly the #1 goalie in the WCHA.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
            Thank God, with Williams leaving and Motte graduating it just makes Jamie firmly the #1 goalie in the WCHA.
            (counting the moments before GFM posts about Guerrero or an NMU fan about Dahlström)

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Just saw that MTU retweeted Mel Pearson... Mel tweeted a photo of Tony O and Tanner Kero in Chicago. Together.

Whatever good will your team was gaining from me during this season will immediately be reduced back to zero if Kero signs with the Blackhawks/Icehogs. Ugh.
              well its official, he signed with Chicago...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                That sucks. I hope he doesn't win another game for the next year or two...until he gets traded or moves as a FA.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I suspected that was coming. Tony has kept his distance from Tech hockey for quite some time, so it didn't seem like this was just a random photo-op. Maybe we'll see more of Tony with that new bridge to the Blackhawks organization.

Comment

I am actually surprised that it took almost a week to hear about a signing.
                    Maybe this is good news for our underclassmen - no news is good news.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I am actually surprised that it took almost a week to hear about a signing.
                      Maybe this is good news for our underclassmen - no news is good news.
                      Ryan J
                      sounds like he had multiple suitors and had narrowed it down to 2...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Just like to▼congratulate MTU'sHuskies,,their coach and their loyal fans on a great season.
                        Should be Tech's turn to win the MacNaughton next year.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                          Just like to▼congratulate MTU'sHuskies,,their coach and their loyal fans on a great season.
                          Should be Tech's turn to win the MacNaughton next year.
                          Well said sir, you clearly have all the wisdom, charm, and good looks.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

sounds like he had multiple suitors and had narrowed it down to 2...
                            It's possible that Tanner was waiting for the Hobey Hat Trick to be announced. Seems like quite a coincidence that this would happen the same day that he found out that he wasn't in the last phase - knowing how much college hockey meant to him, I wouldn't have been surprised if he wanted to attend the ceremony and if he had already signed he wouldn't have been able to do that.

Best of luck to Tanner as a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              It's possible that Tanner was waiting for the Hobey Hat Trick to be announced... if he had already signed he wouldn't have been able to do that.
                              Is that an NCAA rule, or are you just thinking he would be busy playing and not able to get away? Not that it matters now, but just curious for future Huskies that win the award.
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Is that an NCAA rule, or are you just thinking he would be busy playing and not able to get away? Not that it matters now, but just curious for future Huskies that win the award.
                                Ryan J
                                I don't think its an NCAA rule, just pretty sure its difficult to get away from pro team once you sign.

Comment

Working...
                                X