PDA

View Full Version : Union College: 2015-2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

lugnut92
03-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Dear Union Hockey Forum participants. I know many of you followed the posts of wholin1 over the years (less so in recent months). Sadly, he passed away on Monday night after a courageous battle with cancer. His devotion to Union Hockey and to his college (Class of '72) and the joy he took from both was contagious and inspiring. He will be missed but not forgotten. I know how much he enjoyed engaging with all of you and I think we'll all agree he stayed positive at all times. Godspeed to our loyal Union Hockey friend. A huge loss for us.

Wow. My condolences to his family and friends. He was definitely a huge part of the community here and he will be missed.

UFan
03-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Dear Union Hockey Forum participants. I know many of you followed the posts of wholin1 over the years (less so in recent months). Sadly, he passed away on Monday night after a courageous battle with cancer. His devotion to Union Hockey and to his college (Class of '72) and the joy he took from both was contagious and inspiring. He will be missed but not forgotten. I know how much he enjoyed engaging with all of you and I think we'll all agree he stayed positive at all times. Godspeed to our loyal Union Hockey friend. A huge loss for us.

RIP wholin1. My condolences to all who knew him.

AspyDad
03-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Eternal rest grant unto Wholin1, O Lord. And let the perpetual light shine upon him. And may the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Did not know him but the ultimate Gentlemen on this thread. Union fans, I am sorry for your loss.

Ralph Baer
03-16-2016, 03:59 PM
My condolences also to the memory of wholin1's rational posts.

sk8tronthepond
03-16-2016, 04:19 PM
My condolences also.

BTW, Aspy, I am virtually certain that he was Jewish (from following his posts), so this may not have been the most appropriate prayer.

It's the thought that counts! My condolences to the Union Hockey family.

MarkEagleUSA
03-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Condolences to the wholin1 family, and the Union fans that knew him.

I had the pleasure of meeting him back in 2010 during the quarterfinal series (yes, the 5-OT game). A true gentleman here on the forum and in person as well. I've missed his level-headed posts for some time and wondered what had happened.

jstadts
03-16-2016, 09:14 PM
very sorry to ear about wholin1. Always had very insightful interactions on here. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

fr. joe
03-16-2016, 11:16 PM
So sorry to hear the news about Wholin1's death. Prayers and remembrances to his family.

Ralph Baer
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
It's the thought that counts! My condolences to the Union Hockey family.

I changed my post.

aweise
03-17-2016, 04:07 PM
My condolences to wholin1 and family, as well. I always thought he was one of the most knowledgeable posters here and enjoyed reading his thoughts.

RIP, buddy.

jericho
03-17-2016, 09:25 PM
If someone could post an obituary, I would love to read it. I didn't know him personally, so I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.

Ralph Baer
03-17-2016, 10:28 PM
If someone could post an obituary, I would love to read it. I didn't know him personally, so I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion-albany/obituary.aspx?n=william-fox-bill&pid=178067723&fhid=27355

vicb
03-18-2016, 06:19 AM
My condolences also.

Looking for picks from the following contestants:

engineerhockeyfan
fr.Joe
jstadts
sshablak
StayPuftMMcu
TchrBill
DisplacedCornellian

You have until 4PM today to get your picks in.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?115131-ECAC-Pick-The-Playoffs-2016&p=6297991#post6297991

jericho
03-18-2016, 09:38 AM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion-albany/obituary.aspx?n=william-fox-bill&pid=178067723&fhid=27355

Thanks. You know, he does look vaguely familiar. I actually did think I met him on my cruise to the Bahamas a few years ago. I was talking to a big Union hockey fan from Rensselaer County and he was super excited about the NC. Weird.

vicb
03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
About 3 hours left to get your picks in:

jstadts
StayPuftMMcu
DisplacedCornellian

You have until 4PM today.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...91#post6297991

ADK11
03-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Very sad to hear about Bill (Wholin1) and my best thoughts & condolences to his friends & family. Union Hockey has lost a great friend & supporter, and his contributions both to the program and this board are sorely missed. Is nice to see the other kind words from some of our rival posters, especially the ones from across the River. Makes you realize what is important in life..

LTsatch
03-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Sorry for the loss to the Union community, I am sure he was glad to see Union win it all in '14.

Miami Ice
03-20-2016, 01:41 PM
With Tampa hosting the FF again and two seasons removed from its Lake Placid success and the national championship in Philadelphia, the Union faithful can not help but be a bit wistful this Sunday. Will 2017 witness a resurgent campaign? The competition in the ECAC continues to accelerate. The recruiting wars intensify. The Penn States and Arizona States of the world, with mega budgets, not to mention the usual suspects, would seem to make a reappearance on the big stage more improbable. Who knows? Not many years ago, the odds makers would have laughed at the prospect of Union going the distance. In any event, there is still an afterglow and an indelible pride.

Goaliefan
03-20-2016, 02:28 PM
:D
With Tampa hosting the FF again and two seasons removed from its Lake Placid success and the national championship in Philadelphia, the Union faithful can not help but be a bit wistful this Sunday. Will 2017 witness a resurgent campaign? The competition in the ECAC continues to accelerate. The recruiting wars intensify. The Penn States and Arizona States of the world, with mega budgets, not to mention the usual suspects, would seem to make a reappearance on the big stage more improbable. Who knows? Not many years ago, the odds makers would have laughed at the prospect of Union going the distance. In any event, there is still an afterglow and an indelible pride.
Wistful - for sure. But having followed Union since they went Division i in '91, never in a million years would I have ever imagined being able to use "Union" in the same sentence as "National Champions." But it never gets old. All I have to do is watch the game highlights on YouTube and I'm back in Phillie!:D

ADK11
03-21-2016, 09:24 AM
A couple of pieces of good news.. a twitter "rumor" from a College Hockey News scribe says Bennett is not in the running for the UMass position. I'm assuming this is Rick's decision and would say its a good one. The competition in HE is ridiculous with BC, BU, Leaman at Providence, UML a consistent top 15, etc. Chances of failure at Amherst are pretty high.

Also, congrats to Vecks being named to 3rd team All-ECAC. He had a tough start to the season but came on strong in league play. Very deserved especially after getting kinda hosed last year with no recognition despite a 50-point season. I'm hoping he has one more big season left!