PDA

View Full Version : Union College: 2015-2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Dutchman
11-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Anyone has thoughts on the game ?

Two years ago, when we had a lead in the closing 3-5 minutes of a game, both Bodie and Ghost were on the ice. That, as we know translated into having two first string All-Americans defensemen protecting a lead. They were both capable of skating the puck out of the zone, when opponents were cheating up and crashing the net. They were especially good at "sealing the deal" with EN goals. I really like the fact that we are back to forechecking big time. We have the speed to do that.

There were several plays where we were able to send the puck into the crease, but no one was home, or if they were, they were not able to handle the puck. Ciampini was alwasy hanging around the crease picking up the garbage.

I know we are losing but I really like this team. I thing another good recruiting year and we will be back to contending for some hardware.

ADK11
11-16-2015, 11:00 AM
I think we are seeing what happens when you have a relatively talented but mostly young, inexperienced team. There have been 11-13 frosh/sophs in the lineup every night, including 3 sophs on defense. I mention this because soph d-men are often worse before they get better Ė its part of the natural learning process at the position. DeSimone made a couple bad decisions against UNH and Light had a brain fart in the 3rd period Friday. For the younger players itís a matter of both mental & physical stamina later in games. The Michigan and Yale games were prime examples of this. Maierís major penalty on Saturday seemed to cook Unions legs and the ice tilted toward Alex thereafter - the end result was really not that much of a shock. Its been a while since Iíve seen this with a Union team, but there was certainly some of it early in Leamanís tenure. It was glossed over in more recent years because the overall talent/experience level on the team (Bodie, Ghost, Carr..) allowed the team to pull out a point or two even with a bad mistake/period or two.

However, the good side is that this team has shown it has the talent to more than compete with anybody and can dominate for stretches. The first 2 periods against Michigan were two of the best periods Iíve seen Union play in a couple years. And with the exception of a couple games, Alex has been good to very good in goal Ė and deserved much better this past weekend (still not sure why he didn't start against SLU two weekends ago). As for the rest of the season, really need the upperclassmen and more experienced players to step up and make big plays that give the team breathing room late in games. I would also expect some of the frosh to start to ďget itĒ more in the second half of the season and cut down on the mistakes. Unfortunately being 10 points down in league play with series still to come against Quinny, Harvard & Cornell probably isnít going to lead to improved results or even playoff home ice, but hopefully the team continues to improve and pull a surprise or two in the post-season.

I will also say I do have some concerns about the makeup/structure of the team as it stands Ė but Iíll wait until the end of the season to offer any opinions on that..

rdf8585
11-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Jeremy Welsh will make his debut with the St. Louis Blues tonight: http://bit.ly/1QpQvpr

Vaportrail
11-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Union outplayed Brown, and were competitive vs. Yale (a premier upperclassman-laden team). Union is very young - note that only two seniors play regularly (Wilkins and Gingras). Freshman and Sophomore classes are strong, and because they're getting a lot of ice time, they're gaining college experience quickly. Dutchmen will be entertaining to watch and should eventually begin winning close games this year. Future years look bright.

Union players look leg-weary at times to me (especially late in games). I know Bennett teams focus on conditioning - and I wonder if they could be overtraining during the week. I'd like to see Ken Schott ask that question of Bennett. :)

LTsatch
11-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Was honored to see Ghost score his first NHL goal in person just now. Congrats to him and to the Union fans!

rdf8585
11-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Was honored to see Ghost score his first NHL goal in person just now. Congrats to him and to the Union fans!

It was a beaut: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2015020269-74-h

rdf8585
11-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Colin Stevens picks up pro win #1: http://bit.ly/1Sc3mte

Dutchman
11-22-2015, 10:47 AM
The Merrimack game is this Saturday at 4:00 pm. I am going. I will be decked out in all my Union regalia. Are there any organized alumni effort for this one? Any bus from the school? We had a great turnout last year at BU at Agganis. Lots of Boston area alumni. I am hoping for the same.

Miami Ice
11-26-2015, 06:43 AM
As disconcerting as Union's painful losses thus far and their ignominious status in the ECAC cellar are, it helpful to remember they knocked off BU and Michigan in two impressive victories. The personnel is there. The best coaches in the country are there. The convenient excuse of youth may or may not be valid. In any event the season has a long way to go. The Dutchmen have much to look forward to.

Miami Ice
11-28-2015, 07:19 PM
One could hear the collective sigh of relief all the way to south Fla. when the Dutchmen scored their third goal. Is the monkey off their back? Only time will tell. A convincing victory (shutout) over a highly ranked team is a big positive after the iffy start to the season.
There is no rest for the weary with Harvard up next. They are good, manhandling ND and RPI in very impressive fashion. Their first line may be the best in the country.
The ECAC looks to be more competitive than ever with even Brown making some noise and Princeton poking their heads up.
Wonder what happened to Colgate. That was a rough show on the Emerald Isle.

rdf8585
11-29-2015, 03:25 AM
Pretty impressive win by Union. The game wasn't in doubt most of the way. After two gut-wrenching losses before the exam break, and then two weeks off, I can't say I expected Union to go into Lawler and come away with a win. But perhaps getting away for a couple weeks is what this team needed to regroup. 8th-ranked Harvard will be a huge test on Friday.

Dutchman
11-29-2015, 05:17 AM
A good turnout of the faithful at Merrimack (Andover, MA) for a Thanksgiving weekend.
- Sak gets the win for us.
- Leveraged team speed. Looks like Bennett put our fastest skaters on the ice.
- Forechecking creating turnovers !!! Our speed is letting us be aggressive in forechecking.
- Upperclassmen stepping up, especially on defense. Eli, Pontarelli, Wilkins, Vecchione,
- We got all the bounces
- I would have liked to see better passing from our two junior defensemen. Passing the puck to Merrimack's forwards going the other way was not very helpful. :(

Dutchman
11-29-2015, 12:06 PM
8th-ranked Harvard will be a huge test on Friday.
Fridays are not our best day ....
Harvard is scoring 3.88, giving up 1.24
Union is scoring 2.54, giving up 2.54
I won't go through all the stats ... too depressing.

rdf8585
11-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Daniel Carr promoted to Montreal: https://t.co/QBasM6FYjj

UFan
11-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Fridays are not our best day ....
Harvard is scoring 3.88, giving up 1.24
Union is scoring 2.54, giving up 2.54
I won't go through all the stats ... too depressing.

sigh...

Let's get some points in the league !!!!!! Go Union !!!!!!

Goaliefan
11-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Maybe Harvard will underestimate us? It's happened to the best of teams.

rdf8585
11-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Maybe Harvard will underestimate us? It's happened to the best of teams.

For what it's worth, Union has actually done better against teams ranked at the time they played them. Against those teams, Union is 3-2-1. Against all others, the Dutchmen are 1-4-2.

Ralph Baer
11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sounding like Oakville(OJHL) &#39;97 F Josh Kosack has committed to Union. 21-17-38 in 27 games, fourth in league scoring.</p>&mdash; Chris Dilks (@ChrisDilks) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisDilks/status/671423723358973952">November 30, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADK11
11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sounding like Oakville(OJHL) '97 F Josh Kosack has committed to Union. 21-17-38 in 27 games, fourth in league scoring.</p>ó Chris Dilks (@ChrisDilks) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisDilks/status/671423723358973952">November 30, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>Its more than a rumor.. looks like a nice get. U now has the (tied for) leading scorer and 4th leading scorer in OJHL.
http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_362222

A good win this past Saturday against a team that had been playing very well. Time will tell how good Mack really is, as their league schedule gets tougher (next weekend they get a visit from Nate). Very happy that Sak finally got a shutout, he's come close a couple times this season and is nice to see him rewarded. IMO he's been better than last season and except for a couple clunkers has given U a chance every time he's played.

Harvard is very very talented and my expectations are low.. but hopefully the boys move their feet and don't get in a track meet with them. Dartmouth is a big game and one that U needs to get points.

Dutchman
11-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Time will tell how good Mack really is They got off to a good start last year but lost 10 of their final 13. They returned everyone this year. Also, they are extremely hard to beat at Lawler. They were 9-4-2 at Lawler last year. I see them a HE top 5 with BC, UML, PC, & BU.
We will see them again at the Dartmouth tournament. What worries me about Harvard is their defense. I did not think they could come up with a replacement superstar goalie to replace Micalyck. They didn't come up with one ... they came up with two. :(