PDA

View Full Version : Union College: 2015-2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

UFan
10-31-2015, 09:09 AM
The best team won last night. They killed us in the first period when nobody on our team was playing : no offense, no D and no goalie. They had speed and good passing.
Second period wasn't much better, I just feel bad for Kupsky. The SH is beautiful. Third period, last 5 minutes were the best 5 minutes of the game for us (with or without the goal). Lichtenwald was useless last night, glad he won't be playing tonight. 2 of his terrible passes lead to 2 goals. He is just big, that's it. For me, we have better players, including freshmen, that can easily take his place, and at least put out a decent effort.
We need to learn to pass. That's what it comes down to. We also need to learn to shoot when there is nobody there to block your shot. Blocked shots mean poor shots to begin with. And just as predicted by Rick in the pre-game interview : you can score on Kasdorf when he is screened.
One more thought, why do we have 2 Ds at the BLUE LINE on a 5 on 3 ? I fail to understand why they are not much closer to the net. When you shoot from that far out, there is a lot of time for the goalie to see the puck. The defense is all bunched up around the net, so our guys could be 10 feet closer to the net and still have a lot of passing/shooting space. Provided they could actually pass the puck.
A lot of what I saw really surprised me. 11 shots on goal in 2 periods ?? Most of our team seemed to understand what to do during our first few games, and yesterday they just forgot all of it...
Hope they get their act together tonight, it can be tough to play in the RPI warehouse.

PS : don't bother posting on the Union vs RPI thread, most of the RPI fans are just immature idiots who have no interest in talking about hockey with anyone who doesn't share their perspective.

Dutchman
10-31-2015, 11:43 AM
We need to learn to pass.

We seemed to be doing well in that category before yesterday ... just thinking about BU. The lines seemed to be scrambled before the RPI game. I was wondering if the lines were not used to playing with each other, added to the terrible passing. Credit to RPI, they were not giving us much time and space. I feel bad for Kupsky. To stop shot blocking, fake the shot, get the defender to commit and them move to an open lane.

We made a total of 68 shot attempts
RPI made a total of 49 shot attempts

We had 29 of our shots blocked by RPI
RPI had 6 of their shots blocked by us

We shot wide of the net 16 times.
RPI shot wide of the net 11 times.

Ralph Baer
10-31-2015, 02:32 PM
PS : don't bother posting on the Union vs RPI thread, most of the RPI fans are just immature idiots who have no interest in talking about hockey with anyone who doesn't share their perspective. Thanks for the laugh. I start these weekly threads precisely to have interraction with fans of the teams which RPI plays. I thought that last week's Michigan thread was one of the best in recent years in that regard. Also believe me, the RPI contingent on USCHO argues more among itself than with fans of other teams including Union.

Dutchman
10-31-2015, 06:37 PM
The lineup for today

Theo Di Pauli von Treuheim/Brendan Taylor/Tyler Hynes
Matt Wilkins/Spencer Foo/Cole Maier
Roman Ammirato/Ryan Scarfo/Michael Pontarelli
Sebastian Vidmar/Eli Lichtenwald/Mark Dufor

First game for Senior Di Pauli. (Did he get a Rhodes Scholarship of something?) One of the smallest and toughest and definately the smartest kid on the team (4.0 premed?).
Lots of confidence in Freshmen Brendan Taylor, to center the first line.
That last line is 6'3", 6'6" and 6'3" and Dufor looks very good.

We will be ready to rumble ;)

Dutchman
11-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Don't think we will be seeing Union Ranked (USCHO Top 20) again anytime soon. A tough trip to the north country coming up.

UFan
11-01-2015, 08:40 AM
The best team won again.

Passing passing passing passing...
6 shots on goal in 1st period...
Sigh....
Sounds like a broken record yet ?

GO UNION !!!!! LEARN TO PASS AND KICK SOME BEHINDS !!!!!! please :p
At least, it's better than friday night.
And again, the best team won.

Dutchman
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
In years past our D-men could skate it up and out of our zone when the passing lanes were blocked and we could not chip it along the boards. Tailor has the speed to do that. Creates a lot of pressure.

Dutchman
11-01-2015, 04:18 PM
As bad as things are right now ... they could be worse. Football lost 52-14 against Hobart. The Hobart QB was 15 for 20 and 305 yards. That makes us 0-8 Giving up 562 points has got to be some kind of record. I bet Hobart played their 3rd string most of the game.

rdf8585
11-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Union will do something this weekend that it hasn't done yet this season:

http://bit.ly/1kb3Wgc

Dutchman
11-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Some Thoughts:
Very glad Vecchione is back. We have not won in Cheel in quite some time.
Saw Harvard-Yale - cheered for Harvard but more impressed with Yale.
Lions made some great saves in the first period Harvard onslaught where Harvard outshot 18-8.
The Harvard Freshmen goalie was also very impressive.
Yale plays outstanding position hockey. Their players are constantly looking around to check their coverage. They never seem out of place. Did not see any "blown" coverage. They are precise and spent time setting things up. Their D does not get into the offense until late in the game. One of the best regular season hockey games I have ever seen.

UFan
11-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, our team looked young (again) last night.
Defense never skates the puck up ice (likes bad passes better; Forwards are also pretty good at that)
Forwards don't defend very well (too far down the ice)

There isn't much missing, just a few games where the lines click as they should, to get the confidence up.

GO Union !!!
And please behave on the ice.

Dutchman
11-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Foo was outstanding. He reminded me of Bodie. Refused to accept defeat as an outcome. I welcome the return of the Forecheck. DeSimone was moved to foreward. Cruice and Dufour and Eli came to play. 60 minute effort. Alex played well.

UFan
11-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Foo was outstanding. He reminded me of Bodie. Refused to accept defeat as an outcome. I welcome the return of the Forecheck. DeSimone was moved to foreward. Cruice and Dufour and Eli came to play. 60 minute effort. Alex played well.
^this
Alex saved the day a couple of time, I saw a lot of motivation on the ice. A few errors, but nothing out of this world.

Hopefully, something is starting to emerge.
Go Union !!!

Miami Ice
11-13-2015, 06:10 PM
"Reeling" Dutchmen getting no respect in this weekend's picks. Losing to Brown? Unlikely. 5-1 Yale...don't see it. Bennett will light the fire.

rdf8585
11-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Stunning loss, one of the more disappointing ones in recent memory. Some postgame reaction:

Bennett - http://yourlisten.com/GarnetHockeyReport/rick-bennett-postgame-111315

Vecchione - http://yourlisten.com/GarnetHockeyReport/mike-vecchione-postgame-111315

Brown coach Whittett and Nick Lappin (gtg) - http://yourlisten.com/GarnetHockeyReport/brown-postgame-111315

rdf8585
11-14-2015, 01:25 AM
RECAP: Brown rallies for a 3-2 OT win at Union: http://bit.ly/1OJXN7u

rdf8585
11-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Some good Union-related news after a tough night last night - Gostisbehere recalled (http://bit.ly/1YaYuIA) by the Flyers.

Miami Ice
11-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Perhaps "reeling" is appropriate. One rough weekend!

rdf8585
11-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Postgame reaction from Saturday's 2-1 OTL to Yale -

Bennett - https://t.co/J0NPx80YMP

Gingras / Supinski: https://t.co/kFsnAub5YJ

UFan
11-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Had to miss the game on Friday, and most of the saturday game as well... Looks like we're still struggling to put out a 60 minutes effort... I don't care if we're up 1, 2 or 5 goals. If you have the chance to put another one in, do it. I hate teams that stop playing at a point during the game, they end up loosing more often than not.

Anyone has thoughts on the game ?