PDA

View Full Version : Union College: 2015-2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Dutchman
10-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Is it "Alternate Captains" or "Assistant Captains"?

"Alternate or Assistant Captain: The Meaning Of The "A" On The Jersey"

http://octopusthrower.com/2012/07/16/alternate-or-assistant-captain-the-meaning-of-the-a-on-the-jersey/

Teams may designate alternate captains, often erroneously called "assistant captains." Alternate captains wear the letter "A" on their jerseys in the same manner that team captains wear the "C."

"I am going to briefly discuss one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to hockey – the meaning of the “A” on the jersey (you thought I was going to say Samuelsson, didn’t you?). I would say that when watching games, 50% of the time the announcers use the wrong term when discussing the A;"

Dutchman
10-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Any thoughts on lines?
Wilkins - Vec - Supinski line?
Foo - Scarfo - Walker line?
What type of year will Michael Pontarelli have?

UFan
10-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Pontarelli needs to put it in the back of the net. So many missed chances last year, that should have been put away. He is a "Wait and see" for me.

Dutchman
10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Earlier this year at Aggainis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wI06rXUd70

UnionFan4Life
10-05-2015, 07:56 PM
My May lineup prediction :D

Is Brett Supinski coming in the fall?

Scarfo---Vecchione---Supinski
Wilkins---Maier---Foo
Pontarelli---Lichtenwald---Dufour
Cruice---Vidmar---Ammirato

Taylor---Bassard
Gingras---DeSimone
Henry---Light

Alex (I think Alex will start early on, but will be on a short leash)
Young
Kupsky

Not active:
Roy
Hynes
DiPauli
B. Taylor
Krug
Cambell

Captain Prediction
C - Vecchione
A - J. Taylor
A - Wilkins

Post-scrimmage lineup prediction! This looks like a stud freshman class which is a credit to the coaching staff. Flip a coin between Kupsky and Young for the starting spot, both outplayed Alex in my opinion. I would be surprised if a freshman didn't walk out of the locker room first Friday night.

Wilkins---Maier---Foo
Cruice---Vidmar---DiPauli

Taylor---Gingras
Bassard---DeSimone
Henry---Light

Kupsky
Young
Alex

Not active:
Roy
Hynes
Ammirato
B. Taylor
Walker
Krug
Cambell

Dutchman
10-06-2015, 04:20 AM
Post-scrimmage lineup prediction! This looks like a stud freshman class which is a credit to the coaching staff. Flip a coin between Kupsky and Young for the starting spot, both outplayed Alex in my opinion. I would be surprised if a freshman didn't walk out of the locker room first Friday night.

Wilkins---Maier---Foo
Cruice---Vidmar---DiPauli

Taylor---Gingras
Bassard---DeSimone
Henry---Light

Kupsky
Young
Alex

Not active:
Roy
Hynes
Ammirato
B. Taylor
Walker
Krug
Cambell

Last year against Sacred Heart it was 1-1 with less than 2 minutes to go when Ciampini scored and Scarfo added an EN. Alex was in net. Final 3-1. Alex gave up 1 goal in 23 shots. This year Sacred Heart has returned everyone, and is picked to be in the top 4 of the AHA. We don't do well against Connecticut teams.

Against BU in January Alex was also in net, gave up 3 in 33 shots. BU is returning most. I saw BU play against Arcadia. They looked in mid season form. Danny O'Regan will be tough to stop. BU is a high octane scoring machine.

Coaches comments after the scrimmage sounded like he was high in the "Scarfo Line" which for the scrimmage included Foo and Walker. It sounded like for the scrimmage the Vecchione line included Wilkins and Supinski. He sounded very pleased with the freshmen.

mookie1995
10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Hey

Mookie is coming up Saturday. Any help on parking (with an address for the garmin) would be welcome. Also were would one stop for food & drink before the game?

Gracias....

rdf8585
10-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Hey

Mookie is coming up Saturday. Any help on parking (with an address for the garmin) would be welcome. Also were would one stop for food & drink before the game?

Gracias....

Parking can be tough (more people than spots), so your best bets are probably the streets directly behind the rink like Lenox Rd, Avon Rd or Douglas Rd. All of those are pretty close to the back entrance of the rink. There's also a decent sized lot on campus off Nott Street across the road from Avenue B that might be an option.

rdf8585
10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
My preseason picks for Union's MVP, Rookie of the Year and Most Improved player:

http://t.co/0yqWbIeG1b

Who are yours?

Dutchman
10-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Hey

Gracias....

Here is a campus map.

http://www.union.edu/maps/pdfs/visitors-map.pdf

Mesa Rink @Achilles Center is #71 on the map. The parking lot (P) just behind the rink is very small and almost always filled and you can reach it off of Lexox Road. I have found space there if I get there early enough (3-4pm for a 7:00pm game ). Parking on campus is possible but tough to find. The parking lot behind 29/30 sometimes has some slots. Again the key is to get there early enough. Also, the College Park Fields lot at #163 is a five block walk but might have some space. Otherwise try street parking. Lenox Road would be your best bet. Also Avon or Douglas Road. The game is a complete sellout. The facilities are primitive compared to Agganis and lots of the fan base are locals.

The GPS to the main gate is 807 Union Street, Schenectady, New York 12308
https://www.google.com/maps/place/807+Union+St,+Schenectady,+NY+12308/@42.8155649,-73.9306222,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89de6de36e636013:0xa5c6e 76ea8b2b9d7?hl=en

The GPS to Rink is Achilles Center, Squire Whipple Path/Bridge, Schenectady, NY 12308
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frank+L+Messa+Rink/@42.8179764,-73.9248079,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89de6de61a5aaf67:0x42d43 e001bb477c5?hl=en

Achilles Rink  
Arena in New York
The Frank L. Messa Rink at Achilles Center is a 2,225-seat multi-purpose arena in Schenectady, New York. It is home to the Union College Dutchmen ice hockey and Dutchwomen ice hockey teams, members of the ECAC Hockey League. Wikipedia
Address: Achilles Center, Squire Whipple Path/Bridge, Schenectady, NY 12308

Dutchman
10-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Hey

Gracias....

Here is Tripadvisor for "Best Restaurants in Schenectady, NY"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g48572-Schenectady_New_York.html#EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

Other Dutchmen fans will be more knowledgable but (#31) is Katie OByrnes which is a favorite as the owner is a big fan. Good for sandwichs. The Stockade Inn (#30) and the Van Dyck Lounge (#34) are more formal sit down, table cloth, china servings types of places.

Coming from Boston I try and leave early, find a parking spot and then walk to an eatery. Tends to be a bottleneck/queue at the front entrace around the time the puck is dropped but if you have your ticket in hand, you can enter in one of the side doors.

Dutchman
10-06-2015, 03:40 PM
My preseason picks for Union's MVP, Rookie of the Year and Most Improved player:

http://t.co/0yqWbIeG1b

Who are yours?

Good selections ...
"If Pontarelli can stay healthy all year ...."
If Pontarelli can return to form then we have the possible makings of 4 scoring lines.

Dutchman
10-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Cox picks us 5th?
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/10/6/9408085/ecac-hockey-preview-rankings-harvard-yale-quinnipiac-st-lawrence-colgate-clarkson-cornell-union
While I appreciate the assessment, I don't find his arguments compelling.
In losing Ciampini, Novak, Coata, Vasaturo and Bennett, we lose 33% of our scoring (goals) from last year but a lot of the scoring by Ciampini and Novak were clutch goals. We have 11 players from 2013-2014, but only 7 played in most games:
Vech
Taylor
Pontarelli
Lichtenwald,
Wilkins
Gingras
Henry
Defense is still suspect and freshmen make mistakes. It would be great to finish 5th but don't see it happeneing.

Vaportrail
10-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Defense should be good: Brassard played in all games, DeSimone in almost all, Light in most after first 10.

While Ciampini obviously scored, he also gave up several goals with poor coverage. While Vasaturo was an outstanding leader, the fact he/others weren't held accountable on-ice early in the year cost the coaching staff the respect of the team. Bennett has suggested that won't happen this year. If so, team will challenge in ECAC.

MVP: Vecchione or Scarfo
ROY: Supinski, Walker, or Kupsky (though expect Sak will start season)
Most Improved: Pontarelli or Lichtenwald

UFan
10-07-2015, 10:01 AM
MVP : Vecchione
ROY : Kupsky, if he gets to play, or Supinski
Most improved : Foo (Stats wise, I'm with you Vaportrail, it should be Pontarelli or Lichtenwald)

rdf8585
10-07-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what to expect from Lichtenwald this year. He's kind of a wild card. Offensively, he saw his point production fall ~50% last year. His -12 rating was worst on the team. On the plus side, he got better in faceoffs and was the team's second best regular option in the circle behind Vecchione. Should be an interesting year for him at least.

Dutchman
10-07-2015, 06:34 PM
It tells you have far things have come for the ECAC when the Boston Globe pens "How the ECAC hockey teams shape up"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/10/06/ecaccaps/qANNulOq3Sbgl7GkrBX7KM/story.html
A few years back you would have thought from reading the Boston Globe that College hockey only consisted of HE and some Western Schools. I guess maybe it did.

Nice write-up. We are picked 6th. A reminder of our strong finish last year.

6. Union
Last season: 19-18-2
Top returnees: F Mike Vecchione (19-31—50), D Jeff Taylor (4-27—31), F Matt Wilkins (13-15—28).
Top newcomers: F Brett Supinski (Coquitlam Express, BCHL), F Sebastian Vidmar (Lone Star Brahmas, NAHL), G Jake Kupsky (Lone Star Brahmas).
Outlook: After three league crowns and a national title, a downturn was inevitable, yet the Dutchmen swept Cornell at Ithaca in the playoffs and pushed Quinnipiac to the limit. If they can find a goalie, they’ll be back in the chase again.

AnthonySaxe
10-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure what to expect from Lichtenwald this year. He's kind of a wild card. Offensively, he saw his point production fall ~50% last year. His -12 rating was worst on the team. On the plus side, he got better in faceoffs and was the team's second best regular option in the circle behind Vecchione. Should be an interesting year for him at least.

I imagine he'll do as well as his line mates do, and no better. He excelled when he played with Carr (who wouldn't) and has been a disappointment when playing with almost anyone else. His ability to win faceoffs (as with any player) is not really important, even less so when he can't really help the team that much once we get possession. Unless he really improved his legs this summer, I hope one of the freshmen push him for a regular spot at the 3C.

rdf8585
10-08-2015, 02:50 AM
With the graduation of Colin Stevens, Alex Sakellaropoulos is ready to take over as ‪Union‬'s top goalie.

http://bit.ly/1jdPrrx

Dutchman
10-08-2015, 06:42 AM
With the graduation of Colin Stevens, Alex Sakellaropoulos is ready to take over as ‪Union‬'s top goalie.

http://bit.ly/1jdPrrx

Good write-up !!!
Sak also started at Yale and won 3-1 with 28 saves
Sak won at Harvard 5-4 giving up 4 and saving 26
Sak took over for Colin at Quinnipiac after the later had given up 4 goals shutting them out for the final 29 minutes with 14 saves.
Against BU Sak failed to control a rebound and a blast got by him, but the third BU goal was an accidental reflection off of Taylor's stick
Sak's finest hour, IMO, was at Quinnipiac where Colin got pulled after giving up 4 goals in short order and Sak shut down Q the rest of the game blocking 14 shots and allowing the comeback that almost tied it in regulation.

Sak's numbers last year appear to be much better when he started vs coming in off the bench (Q the exception). That would give some hope of improvement this year.

I am sure we will see all three goalies this year. The Freshmen hold great promise.

Our home record was horrible last year. I hope we turn that around, for the sake of the fans.