Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Are you sure Daniels was an injury? Missing one game over two weekends sounds less like an injury and more like some other issue (academic, family issue, disciplinary, etc.)? Don't know either way, just wondering.
    I don't know why Daniels was missing from the lineup. Can't help you there. Not sure why Laing was out either. If it was academic, they would not have returned, that's for sure. They might have just been dealing with a stomach bug or something like that where they were feeling well enough to return after missing a game.

Comment

Total disaster of a weekend. Losing twice in OT by the same score, 2-1. Harvard is headed for second division status if we don't find some goals come January. I think Katey needs to hold one of her intensive mini camps over New Years to get the team's attention and focus. They looked like they slept walked through today's game with no jump or push to their game. No one seems to want to go to the net.

Comment

Happy holidays to everyone. Hope you all have a safe and restful two weeks.

Note to Harvard alums in the Boston area. Angela Ruggiero is registered to attend Harvard's Global Networking Night on Tuesday January 12th at the Harvard Club on Comm Ave. Event begins at 6pm and if you haven't already registered, you might want to do so if you are interested in meeting her. It will be great to see her again in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          About the best thing you can say about today's game is that Harvard won. That's it. RPI played their usual garbage style hockey. They aren't great skaters and lack finishing skill so their game plan is to try and hit Harvard as many times as possible and hope to get away with it. Which of course they did because the officials put their whistles in their pockets for the most part. Like when Haley Mullins took a vicious elbow to the head along the boards with a ref staring at the play and doing nothing. This is what is going to ruin women's hockey. But hey, why should RPI care? If they can get away with it...

That said, Harvard missed some glorious chances to put distance between themselves and the Engineers. Frankly, the game should not have been this close. Karly Heffernan clipped the crossbar, Grace Zarzecki hit the post and we missed several close in opportunities mostly because RPI clogged the middle and played the aforementioned physical style. The Engineers actually got on the board first on the PP in the second period off a scramble in front. Two minutes later, Jessica Harvey standing in front tipped a point shot from Brianna Mastel. The tie lasted until late in the third period when Miye D'Oench took a nice cross pass from Haley Mullins in front and jammed home the winner.

If the officials had the stones to call some of this crap, this nonsense would end. But we'll see more tractor pulls until and when the league gets serious about eliminating this style of play.
          I've been reading through your comments and I have to say that I agree with you. Unless the league gets more serious about eliminating illegal hits, we'll see more of this continue.

For example, this was a video I recorded with my phone from a Harvard game this season.

https://gfycat.com/MerrySpitefulArrowworm

The Harvard player was jarred so hard that she's been out for 2 months now and is still unable to play hockey due to a concussion. Not only was no penalty called on the play, but the actual hit wasn't even reviewed by the NCAA. It's disappointing that the NCAA claims to be doing due diligence in regards to concussions, yet can completely ignore plays like this.

I certainly hope for the future and safety of upcoming players, both the NCAA and the refs at hand will take hits like this one more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasera View Post
            I've been reading through your comments and I have to say that I agree with you. Unless the league gets more serious about eliminating illegal hits, we'll see more of this continue.

For example, this was a video I recorded with my phone from a Harvard game this season.

https://gfycat.com/MerrySpitefulArrowworm

The Harvard player was jarred so hard that she's been out for 2 months now and is still unable to play hockey due to a concussion. Not only was no penalty called on the play, but the actual hit wasn't even reviewed by the NCAA. It's disappointing that the NCAA claims to be doing due diligence in regards to concussions, yet can completely ignore plays like this.

I certainly hope for the future and safety of upcoming players, both the NCAA and the refs at hand will take hits like this one more seriously.
            Unbelievable that hit to the head wasn't called. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the referees in the men's game do a better job of protecting players than they do in the women's. There is no question that such a vicious hit to the head should have resulted in a major plus a game disqualification, then subject to further review by the league and a likely one game suspension for the offender.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Unbelievable that hit to the head wasn't called. ... There is no question that such a vicious hit to the head should have resulted in a major plus a game disqualification, then subject to further review by the league and a likely one game suspension for the offender.
              You're seeing it differently than I. I could see a minor for checking, but that's about it. The Dartmouth player seems to be turning away to pursue the puck. I didn't think she targeted the head. It looked to be more bad timing as the Harvard player's follow through on the shot brought her head down and most of the energy to the contact.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                You're seeing it differently than I. I could see a minor for checking, but that's about it. The Dartmouth player seems to be turning away to pursue the puck. I didn't think she targeted the head. It looked to be more bad timing as the Harvard player's follow through on the shot brought her head down and most of the energy to the contact.
                When I watch it on full screen and then freeze it at the moment of impact I see the Dartmouth player's elbow up high at head level.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

When I watch it on full screen and then freeze it at the moment of impact I see the Dartmouth player's elbow up high at head level.
                  Looks more like shoulder to me but I can see why it is debatable. I see it pretty much like ARM does.

OTOH the game is very fast and there is a lot going on for an ice level ref to see and process. I generally try to give them some leeway despite wishing they would call a closer game. In real time I'm not sure they could make a 'hit to the head' call.

Comment

You must have some nice video editing software, the quality of the vid and the angle makes it impossible for me to agree, although it is likely her arm did hit the players head.

It would be interesting to hear a ref of the women’s college game take on this
                    If it was a check, it is a rather odd one, the defender seems to be stopping, or even stopped when the “hit” is made, in fact it is the offensive player’s momentum after the shot that causes the collision.

It seems to me that is what is evolving in womens hockey, no checking, but a lot of contact, it’s almost like hoops, the defensive players attempt to get position on the offensive player, the offensive player has two choices, change direction to avoid running into the defender, or run into the defender. If they choose the latter, how can you call the defender for checking? it was the offensive player that ran into the defender.

When MN played Bemidji I saw this a lot, and it seems to be happening much more than in the past.

BTW, one of the Harvard players threw a nice punch that missed when they were playing UMD, whining about another teams “rough” play is just sour grapes.

Comment

I agree with ARM. Dartmouth player has come to a full stop and is starting to turn away before any contact occurs.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        I agree with ARM. Dartmouth player has come to a full stop and is starting to turn away before any contact occurs.
                        That video is a clear example of a body check in women's hockey, and should have been called. The Dartmouth player slammed her body into a Harvard player in the act (or just after the act) of shooting the puck.

Comment

• Unfortunately the shooter has her head down the entire way and clearly does not expect any contact, which is the opposite of what she should be expecting. Yes there is no checking in women's hockey but there is contact and anytime you are about to take a shot you should expect that an opponent is going to try their best to get in the way as they try to take away your space and time before you shoot the puck. IMO this is a coaching issue that is a problem in girls'/women's hockey - not enough coaches teach the players to keep their heads up when they have possession of the puck and to expect contact especially when they go to take a shot on goal.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Unfortunately the shooter has her head down the entire way and clearly does not expect any contact, which is the opposite of what she should be expecting. Yes there is no checking in women's hockey but there is contact and anytime you are about to take a shot you should expect that an opponent is going to try their best to get in the way as they try to take away your space and time before you shoot the puck. IMO this is a coaching issue that is a problem in girls'/women's hockey - not enough coaches teach the players to keep their heads up when they have possession of the puck and to expect contact especially when they go to take a shot on goal.
                            First of all, wishing the best for that Harvard player. That's a tough go. Agree with a lot of this. As much as I love the Women's game, the thing that drives me cotton pickin' crazy is that so many play with their heads down. To me it almost goes beyond the coaching. Perhaps there should be checking, to force them to play with their heads up. I really don't know. I think the Dartmouth player got her elbows high, though more as a defensive reaction. (hasn't had any penalties this year.. if I'm not mistaken. Should have picked up 2 minutes elbowing, I think.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, there is still a body checking penalty on the books as a minor infraction. I don't see it called nearly as much as it was ten or fifteen years ago. There are more men officiating the women's game today and perhaps that has something to do with it. All I know is that if these hits are not eliminated pretty soon, some young woman is going to have her life altered in a way that will jeopardize her future.

Any blow to the head should be punishable by a five minute major, a game misconduct and the offending player should be suspended for the next two games. A message needs to be sent that this type of play will not be tolerated in the women's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                                If I'm not mistaken, there is still a body checking penalty on the books as a minor infraction. I don't see it called nearly as much as it was ten or fifteen years ago. There are more men officiating the women's game today and perhaps that has something to do with it. All I know is that if these hits are not eliminated pretty soon, some young woman is going to have her life altered in a way that will jeopardize her future.

Any blow to the head should be punishable by a five minute major, a game misconduct and the offending player should be suspended for the next two games. A message needs to be sent that this type of play will not be tolerated in the women's game.
                                It is definitely getting worse in women's hockey. Saw two separate D3 games last year where a frustrated player turned and punched an opposing player blindside in the head either on the side or from behind - totally cold-cocked them (Lauren Fitzgerald from Trinity and Michele Meggiolaro from Manhattanville - both have now graduated). In the first case, Fitzgerald got a 2 minute minor and the injured player missed two weeks with a concussion. In the second case, Meggiolaro got a 2 minute minor and the injured player missed 2 months with a concussion and now has retired due to accumulated concussions. I do not understand how a referee can watch a player cold-cock another player in the head, leaving them prone on the ice with trainers rushing to attend to them, 10 minute stoppages to aid the injured player, and the player going straight to the locker room, and then call a 2 minute minor. It should be a minimum 5 minute major with a game misconduct and subsequent suspension by the league. It simply should not be tolerated.

The sad part is that the NWHL seems to be heading in the same direction now. "The @CTWhale_NWHL once again ticked the 'W' column after a heated game against @NYRiveters http://nwhl.co/quick-recap-ctw-nyr-6-1/ …" Apparently women fighting will bring in fans just like men's hockey in the 70's. Sad....

Comment

Working...
                                X