PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51

UWisco
07-24-2015, 09:54 PM
what a clustermuck. That explains why Sexton is coming. To bad he is no where near Dougherty's caliber nor is any other dman on the Badger roster. Worst collection of talent on D in over a dozen years.

I'd choose Wittchow and Schulze over Dougherty right now.

Chuck Schwartz
07-24-2015, 09:59 PM
what a clustermuck. That explains why Sexton is coming.

They were likely bringing in a Sexton-type guy regardless of Dougherty's decision. Sexton isn't a Dougherty replacement... They have an offer out on a kid to fill the spot.

WiscDC
07-24-2015, 10:34 PM
I'd choose Wittchow and Schulze over Dougherty right now.

I'd choose Dougherty over no-Dougherty, though.

As for the Sexton thing, I figured that was too soon to be thought of as a replacement.

WiscTJK
07-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Now Dougherty! Just unbelievable right now the state of things.

Chuck, or others in the know, is this a direct result of the state of the program? Seems to me it screams that, but I don't want to be to quick to judge.

WiscDC
07-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Now Dougherty! Just unbelievable right now the state of things.

Chuck, or others in the know, is this a direct result of the state of the program? Seems to me it screams that, but I don't want to be to quick to judge.

Even if it isn't, it is now a part of what has been happening (regardless of the cause of the decision). The team has almost completely flown off the radar of everyone who isn't already a diehard fan, leaving us to try and keep the conversation going (which is extraordinarily difficult, considering how hard it was to remind everyone that the best games in the 2013-14 school year were at the Kohl Center when the ice was exposed).

Regardless of the reason for Dougherty's departure, it's one more factor that will push away future recruits, hinder current performance, and ultimately continue the nosedive in a way I never would've thought possible, even amid the woes of the 2012-13 season.

blackswampboy
07-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Never before have I thought so much about Bowling Green hockey in any particular summer. If Mike Eaves were magically granted Scotty Bowman caliber coaching abilities, he would still need to go, because there's only so much an amazing coach can do when he can't attract recruits. (The magical granting of coaching abilities would be kept secret in this thought experiment.)

we're honored to be thought about, but not sure what this has got to do with the Falcons.
there's no comparison between your current troubles and BG's past woes (fortunately we've now got an amazing coach and are attracting recruits). the good news is that near-death experiences can lead to full recovery. :D
best wishes, and whup those UofM Weasels!

Timothy A
07-26-2015, 10:38 PM
We don't know why Jack left, but it would have been nice for him to have gave the new coaches a chance.

Bonin21
07-27-2015, 12:04 AM
We don't know why Jack left, but it would have been nice for him to have gave the new coaches a chance.
Maybe he would have if Eaves got canned like he should have.

Gurtholfin
07-27-2015, 12:17 AM

The guy's gotta protect his own future as he sees fit.

Considering the circumstances, I have no problem with him bailing if he (and his people/pro team) feels it's the best decision.

This is on the program (Eaves and Alvarez), not the individual kids.

Gandalf the Red
07-27-2015, 09:06 AM
what a clustermuck. That explains why Sexton is coming. To bad he is no where near Dougherty's caliber nor is any other dman on the Badger roster. Worst collection of talent on D in over a dozen years.

The blue line used to be the back bone of this team. While the forwards might not have been high end, we could always count on the blue line. Now......

Happier each day I did not renew my season tickets. I feel bad for the kids actually, because they are going to be playing in front of the smallest crowds in program history (at the KC). They can thank their coach each night.

KaMiGo
07-27-2015, 09:31 AM

And maybe he would have stayed with Schuchuk, none of us know.

Maybe he met with the new coaches and didn't care for their personal style. Maybe they were looking at fundamental changes in how the Badgers play and he didn't want to put the time/effort into learning a new system.

We can all speculate all we want, but none of us know for sure.

WiscTJK
07-27-2015, 11:16 AM
And maybe he would have stayed with Schuchuk, none of us know.

Well we certainly know Shuchuk was in over his head from day one, should never have been hired, and staying with him was not possible for Eaves to remain as coach. I wish he would have stuck with the assistants that he chose and hired, as we would now have a new head coach. Instead he took the chicken **** way out and fired his assistants.

Gandalf the Red
07-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Do any of us really think Jake Dougherty called up Nashville and said to them "get me the hell out of here!" To me, the only logical conclusion is that Nashville (and pretty much everyone else) is losing faith in UW as a place where players can develop as well or better than anywhere else. Even if that is not entirely true, perception is reality, and the perception is that UW is not the place for some prospects to be right now.

I'm actually surprised the Bruins didn't pull Cameron Hughes already too.

I want to be positive, but I find it difficult, so I'm choosing the ignore option instead. Barry has made an art lately of making the "safe" decision that requires the least effort for him. Doesn't matter which program.

Gurtholfin
07-27-2015, 12:28 PM
I want to be positive, but I find it difficult, so I'm choosing the ignore option instead. Barry has made an art lately of making the "safe" decision that requires the least effort for him. Doesn't matter which program.

He's too busy with his role as a consultant for others searching for coaches to spend time on UW's programs.

The Hallucination
07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Re: Dougherty...ALL OF THE EXPLETIVES.

Seriously, I was extremely unhappy with the Opilka departure, and now this. I didn't hear about it til bigus mentioned it since I can really only bear to read about once a week lately. I didn't drop tickets, and if nothing else I got my meet & greet passes and got to further my grandma's Adam Burish obsession, but I find myself in the odd, sad position of not really looking forward to this hockey season. I might have to read back for that email address for the assistant AD contact...

solovsfett
07-27-2015, 01:24 PM
More tough news for the program but if I must say "let's be honest", this program will not be receiving or generating good news until Mike Eaves resigns or is fired.

You can call me anything you want, but I honestly hope UW loses the first 20 games of the season and does so in front of about 2,000-,3000 fans each home game so that Alvarez wakes the **** up and realizes his mistake and dumps Eaves unceremoniously mid-season (that's a dream I know, there's no way he'd get fired until the end of the campaign). Of course, I think BA should follow Eaves out the door without delay but that's for another discussion I guess.

Many of us have said it a million times....But watching this downward spiral with the information we have in-hand is utterly depressing.

2015-2016: what could have been.

Just think for one moment, ONE MOMENT, what the fortunes of UW would be if Don Granato were here instead of Eaves right now.

Timothy A
07-27-2015, 01:32 PM

Agree 100%, but maybe there were some players that might have left had Eaves got canned, especially the incoming guys, who have a lot of promise.

Re: Dougherty...ALL OF THE EXPLETIVES.

Seriously, I was extremely unhappy with the Opilka departure, and now this. I didn't hear about it til bigus mentioned it since I can really only bear to read about once a week lately. I didn't drop tickets, and if nothing else I got my meet & greet passes and got to further my grandma's Adam Burish obsession, but I find myself in the odd, sad position of not really looking forward to this hockey season. I might have to read back for that email address for the assistant AD contact...

[email protected]

Do any of us really think Jake Dougherty called up Nashville and said to them "get me the hell out of here!" To me, the only logical conclusion is that Nashville (and pretty much everyone else) is losing faith in UW as a place where players can develop as well or better than anywhere else. Even if that is not entirely true, perception is reality, and the perception is that UW is not the place for some prospects to be right now.

I don't know, maybe one could make the case that maybe Nashville was relieved to see 2 new coaches whose resume's are infinitely better then the guys who departed.

The minute Eaves hired Rancid, red flags should have gone up with Jason King.

WiscDC
07-27-2015, 02:28 PM
we're honored to be thought about, but not sure what this has got to do with the Falcons.
there's no comparison between your current troubles and BG's past woes (fortunately we've now got an amazing coach and are attracting recruits). the good news is that near-death experiences can lead to full recovery. :D
best wishes, and whup those UofM Weasels!

Wisconsin used to be a powerhouse program. Even after the early '90s, the men's hockey team remained one of the more prominent programs in college hockey. It was a big deal. Even after Badger football and men's basketball became good, it remained a big deal. Lately, fans have become frustrated with the weird recruiting cycles and the downs that come with not enough ups.

However, we're looking at unprecedented lows at this point. This is not a down period like any that has happened since the modern program started. It is possible that we could be entering dark ages that last 10 or 20 years, a complete transformation from what this program was, even 5 years ago. 5 years ago, you could predict some shaky years, but the current state of the program, as well as the direction in which it appears to be headed, seemed nearly impossible. If the program keeps moving in the direction it appears to moving in, it will reach lows that, only 5 years ago, fans would've thought were absolutely impossible. Impossible.

But it's not impossible. This is why I brought up Bowling Green. Just take a look at the Wikipedia entry for Bowling Green Falcons men's ice hockey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_Falcons_men%27s_ice_hockey).

Look at the sidebar. From the mid '70s to 1990, it appears to me that BGSU was an absolute powerhouse program. I wasn't alive then, but I would guess that a decline in the early '90s would be fair to expect, but the drought that followed would seem completely insane, given the state of the program in the '80s. The Falcons were regulars in the NCAA tournament. They won a bunch of conference titles, with 2 Frozen Fours and 1 national championship on top of that. My entire lifetime has taken place since the Falcons last appeared in the NCAA tournament.

Now look at the main body of the article. There is a section titled "Rise to a national powerhouse," followed by a section titled "Falling into the shadows." This looks like a perfect example for what I fear may become of UW hockey, and that's why I brought them up. I don't think it's more likely to happen than not happen, but it does seem like a very real possibility at this point. It's far from impossible.

High-profile players are avoiding UW, fans are losing interest, and nobody is covering the team, so very few fans will gain interest.

Gandalf the Red
07-27-2015, 03:18 PM
I would agree that other players/recruits may have left if Eaves had gotten canned.

But at this point, I would rather have the ship be beached for a short time to inspect the damage and make repairs before returning to the glorious voyage, then having the ship sink to the bottom of the ocean. They don't make cranes big enough to hoist Eaves' ego back out from the depths, even to salvage everything else and start over.

gwhinwi
07-27-2015, 03:26 PM
I would agree that other players/recruits may have left if Eaves had gotten canned.

But at this point, I would rather have the ship be beached for a short time to inspect the damage and make repairs before returning to the glorious voyage, then having the ship sink to the bottom of the ocean. They don't make cranes big enough to hoist Eaves' ego back out from the depths, even to salvage everything else and start over.

The thing that I worry about is that we're all going to have to stop using analogies for a while if Eaves ever gets fired. Won't someone please think of the puppies being trained not to crap on the carpet?