PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51

bucky15
07-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Guess I got a message on the answering machine that had my wife alarmed that I missed season ticket signup....but they were giving me an extension...lol I better hurry or there may be no season tickets left. How does Eaves still have a job? Oh....I know....Barry.

This made me laugh, thanks.

Chuck Schwartz
07-17-2015, 05:08 PM
So you uncovered this after you posted that he was playing in Deutschland? It would have been a nice fact to know when you originally posted it if you knew it then.

No, I planned it this way to make everyone look bad. Give me a break. I guess I could have let you guys **** and moan all night but I figured I'd help out and make a call to find the truth.

UWisco
07-17-2015, 05:09 PM
C'mon, you should know better than this. MZ playing in Germany is just one more cut. I don't a statement from him saying it sucked playing on a ****ty team for a batty coach, the record. Ford's departure, dvorak's decommit, boeser'so decommit, kunin's decommit and on and on.

Gurt is right, the program is in shambles and no amount of burnishing can disguise this. Do you really think these new (and 2nd tier) assistants will magically make kids want to play for Eaves?

And don't put quotes around the term fan. You may not like diverging opinions or maybe you're intolerant but it's exasperating that you seem to feel true fans are those who have Stockholm err Eaves syndrome and applaud like trained seals no matter how the team does, while the people who voice opposition to eaves' destruction of the program are "fans"....

Opilka's decommit.

I understand why everybody is frustrated with the programs state right now but it's absolutely absurd that I have to not look at this fan forum because the whining is too inferiating. The whining and complaing makes no difference so why do it? I actually have tickets for Friday and Saturday now, not because I think the team will do well this year (10 wins plus seems achieveable to me even with what's going on) but because I enjoy hockey with whatever skill set step on the ice. I have to think that any other programs fans have to chuckle at how Badger fans are acting, I know I would.

KaMiGo
07-17-2015, 07:49 PM
And don't put quotes around the term fan. You may not like diverging opinions or maybe you're intolerant but it's exasperating that you seem to feel true fans are those who have Stockholm err Eaves syndrome and applaud like trained seals no matter how the team does, while the people who voice opposition to eaves' destruction of the program are "fans"....
I appreciate your "input" and have no problem engaging in discussions with people who have a different opinion than mine (as long as they are willing to openly discuss, which isn't necessarily true in this forum).
Having said that, I stand by my use of "fans".
There are several people who have routinely mentioned that they will no longer follow the team, that they will spend their time somewhere else, that they will spend their money somewhere else, that they will invest their emotions somewhere else. To me, that is the definition of a "fan".
I consider myself a fan. I may not agree with everything that has happened in the recent past (administration, coaches, players), I may not agree with things that will happen in the future, but I will still be there in section 110 for every game. And yes, I will applaud the team every night, win or lose, good effort or bad, and I will stay until the players are leaving the ice to sign Varsity one more time. That is who I am and how I chose to support the team.
You can define the word however you want to, and I will do the same.

Timothy A
07-17-2015, 08:01 PM
No, I planned it this way to make everyone look bad. Give me a break. I guess I could have let you guys **** and moan all night but I figured I'd help out and make a call to find the truth.

I didn't think you'd troll us....I do feel bad that I jumped to a quick conclusion. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Almington
07-18-2015, 12:15 AM
I appreciate your "input" and have no problem engaging in discussions with people who have a different opinion than mine (as long as they are willing to openly discuss, which isn't necessarily true in this forum).
There are several people who have routinely mentioned that they will no longer follow the team, that they will spend their time somewhere else, that they will spend their money somewhere else, that they will invest their emotions somewhere else. To me, that is the definition of a "fan".
I consider myself a fan. I may not agree with everything that has happened in the recent past (administration, coaches, players), I may not agree with things that will happen in the future, but I will still be there in section 110 for every game. And yes, I will applaud the team every night, win or lose, good effort or bad, and I will stay until the players are leaving the ice to sign Varsity one more time. That is who I am and how I chose to support the team.

You follow the team how you want to and we can follow the team how we want to. You are a fan as long as you care about the program, regardless of how much money you spend on tickets, souvenirs, and badger fund donations.

The fact that we express our displeasure with the status quo is what makes us fans. Personally, I'd rather set my money on fire and put it out by ****ing on it than continue to give it to an athletic department that I don't feel does even an adequate job of handling this program in a way that isn't some mixture of incompetent and neglectful.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just and idiot "fan"

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-18-2015, 07:47 AM
I understand why everybody is frustrated with the programs state right now but it's absolutely absurd that I have to not look at this fan forum because the whining is too inferiating.
In our defense, when was the last time something good happened, or we had any reason to hope that the way things were would ever return (even in part)? It's almost like a slippery slope watching how continuously downhill things have gotten in recent years.

Although it's only rational to assume that things can't get much worse (we aren't in danger of Barry cutting the program... yet) we don't exactly have too many signs of life or any indication that we're getting back on track.

I have to think that any other programs fans have to chuckle at how Badger fans are acting, I know I would.
Maybe they do think we're sad and pathetic, but they're probably just too busy enjoying how useless our program is right now to rub it in.

DoorCtyBadger
07-18-2015, 08:39 AM
How many of you on this board are on the verge of suicide because of 1 hockey coach in the whole hockey world??? How many of you have gone on prozac? Give it a break and move on Eaves is here whether you like it or not and he has at least 2 more seasons left here so buy your tickets get over to the KC and enjoy the greatest sporting event of them all HOCKEY.

KaMiGo
07-18-2015, 08:51 AM
You follow the team how you want to and we can follow the team how we want to. You are a fan as long as you care about the program, regardless of how much money you spend on tickets, souvenirs, and badger fund donations.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just and idiot "fan"

First, I've never called anyone an idiot (at least not on this board). That stems from a poorly word interview with a frustrated coach, who was (I'll admit it ) in over his head and is no longer with the team. People raged about the comment, and that coach is now gone. Can we all agree to let that one go?

Working from my phone right now, I don't have the ability to go back and identify the people or comments that I was referencing (but I certainly can later if people insist), but the point still remains that I hold little respect for people who chose to deal with their displeasure in the current situation by simply swearing off any support for the team. Yeah, there will be decreased attendance and that will lead to decreased revenue, everyone sees that coming. You want to make a big show of your displeasure? Come to every game dressed in black from head to toe and remain completely silent and motionless from the drop of the puck to the final horn, I promise people will notice that. You don't want to spend money on tickets, come to the Kohl Center and just stand outside of the door for every game, people will notice that. Hell, have a petition and get people to sign it as they are going into the game and present that to the administration.
If you are a fan (by my personal definition) you take meaningful action if you want to see change, you don't just **** and moan on a message board and threaten to walk away from the team.

solovsfett
07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
How many of you on this board are on the verge of suicide because of 1 hockey coach in the whole hockey world??? How many of you have gone on prozac? Give it a break and move on Eaves is here whether you like it or not and he has at least 2 more seasons left here so buy your tickets get over to the KC and enjoy the greatest sporting event of them all HOCKEY.

None of us are on prozac, none of us are on the verge of suicide. Conveying opinions, that is all. Those who chose to attend games will have fun I'm sure, those of us who've had season tickets for years and dumped them will use that as what many of us feel are the sole outlet we have that will get Barry's attention.

solovsfett
07-18-2015, 09:39 AM
First, I've never called anyone an idiot (at least not on this board). That stems from a poorly word interview with a frustrated coach, who was (I'll admit it ) in over his head and is no longer with the team. People raged about the comment, and that coach is now gone. Can we all agree to let that one go?

Working from my phone right now, I don't have the ability to go back and identify the people or comments that I was referencing (but I certainly can later if people insist), but the point still remains that I hold little respect for people who chose to deal with their displeasure in the current situation by simply swearing off any support for the team. Yeah, there will be decreased attendance and that will lead to decreased revenue, everyone sees that coming. You want to make a big show of your displeasure? Come to every game dressed in black from head to toe and remain completely silent and motionless from the drop of the puck to the final horn, I promise people will notice that. You don't want to spend money on tickets, come to the Kohl Center and just stand outside of the door for every game, people will notice that. Hell, have a petition and get people to sign it as they are going into the game and present that to the administration.
If you are a fan (by my personal definition) you take meaningful action if you want to see change, you don't just **** and moan on a message board and threaten to walk away from the team.

I'm sorry but going to the games dressed in black is ****ing stupid. The Athletic Department would be laughing "yeah, they don't like Eaves and the fact he's running the team into the ground but look how dumb they are! They continue to spend money on the team, can't be that bad, eh?"

No-one is telling YOU NOT to go to games. Conversely, don't tell myself or others how to voice/express our displeasure, capiche? Some of us are far beyond ****ed off and not firing Eaves after an abysmal 4-26 season is the tip of the iceburg. Trust me this has been building for years and years.

I'm not happy to say I went to a million games from 1985 to 2013 (I used none of our tickets last year, couldn't justify the trip given how poorly they played and how they showed absolutely no improvement over the course of the season) and now I likely won't see a game again until Eaves is gone or they by some *MIRACLE* turn the ship around and climb the mountain and find the question to the answer 42. Trust me it gives me no pleasure to have to take this action but it's the only action I see where the AD will understand the message.

But I'm NOT NOW nor ever will tell YOU how to express yourself, so don't tell me how to express my displeasure.

Gurtholfin
07-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Knock yourself out. When I write something on here, I do so knowing full well that it can be quoted long into the future.

So you don't have to go search though, I no longer have 2 nights of season tickets, some of which I had for nearly 20 years because this program is in shambles and I have better things to spend my money and time on.

This didn't happen overnight or after one bad season. It was a long slow bleed that actually can be traced all the way back to the 06-07 season.

Believe me, NOT paying for tickets is the ONLY message that this AD will hear.

I give a **** how you see me as a "fan" or a fan. If I'm being honest, lemmings who continue to support something (and pay for it) without question make me scratch my head.

You really expect us to show up in black or protest outside? :rolleyes:

markwojo
07-18-2015, 12:09 PM
You can search and find me too. I will not be spending any more of my discretionary income watching an awful on ice product that is good every third year and an actual national contender every 4th (and I suspect we have seen even the end of that under Eaves). Last years on ice product was beyond pathetic with a roster that is an utter embarrassment. That roster had easily a half dozen players and maybe closer to a dozen that would never sniff a Wisconsin roster prior to Eaves arrival (and that includes some pretty ****ty rosters Barney Rubble assembled at the end). If you want to be a "true fan", knock yourself out. There are 4 season tickets dead center ice 12 rows off the glass between the benches that are available for Saturday nights. If you wear black or a bag over your head or scream and yell at Eaves....he'll probably be able to hear you as you are close and the Kohl has become a lifeless morgue under his watch.

aktick
07-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Meaningful action = not spending money on tickets

Comical to read people think anything else would matter to this AD. Alvarez would just laugh his *** off if somebody showed him a picture of a paying fan wearing all black.

And I'm not on record as saying much bad the last couple years...which is in itself sort of an indictment of the state of the program. Badger hockey was #1 for me, above even the Packers and Blackhawks, for my entire life until a year ago. I watched more Badger BB last year than hockey for gods sake!

So add me to the list who won't be attending a game anytime soon. I'll look for you guys in black if there's nothing else on TV. Shouldn't be hard to miss.

IndianaBadger1995
07-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Can someone post a likely lineup for next year? It'd be nice to actually talk hockey on a hockey forum instead of raging at each other because we have an idiot athletic director/coach.

DPlaya
07-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Malone-Rockwood-Besse
Soleway-Hughes-Kunin
Ustaski-Wagner-Johnson
Freytag-McGuire-Ford

Wittchow-Dougherty
Schulze-Linhart
Tischke-Davison

Jurusik
Grunwald

With Malone having been in the USHL 3 years and Kunin playing vs. college competition at the USNTDP, they should be able to slot into the top two lines.

I actually would like to see Wagner play with one of the top two lines as he will go get the puck for other guys. I'd like to see the big guys, Soleway and Ustaski, play with more reckless abandon like Wagner.

Soleway centered some top-tier forwards in the BCHL, I'm really hoping he can be a break out player this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see different guys at forward on the fourth line and/or in Ustaski's spot. I think they are bringing in extra guys to increase competition and maybe for certain skill sets (sounds like Zirbel is good at penalty kills, for example). I would guess several of the forwards will not play and get red-shirted. That will also help even out the classes at forward which everyone has been clamoring for.

MadCityRich
07-19-2015, 01:01 PM
I saw this posted on "the other board". I got a chuckle............

Tiger Woods = Wisconsin Hockey

My how far the mighty have fallen.

Hammy
07-19-2015, 01:56 PM
From an outsiders perspective... blindly financially supporting a team when it is falling well short of its usual standards isn't the way I would want to go. If you keep buying tickets and spending money as usual, why should there be much of any urgency on the AD's part to change things? Although God knows what makes Alvarez tick... I thought he should have cleaned house after the season.

As long as you show passion for your team and talk of what to do to get it to succeed (even if that means criticizing the status quo and deciding not to support it with your hard earned money), you are a fan in my book.

solovsfett
07-19-2015, 02:08 PM
From an outsiders perspective... blindly financially supporting a team when it is falling well short of its usual standards isn't the way I would want to go. If you keep buying tickets and spending money as usual, why should there be much of any urgency on the AD's part to change things? Although God knows what makes Alvarez tick... I thought he should have cleaned house after the season.

As long as you show passion for your team and talk of what to do to get it to succeed (even if that means criticizing the status quo and deciding not to support it with your hard earned money), you are a fan in my book.

This.

XYZ
07-19-2015, 06:00 PM

So you're not so much a "fan," but rather a "lemming." Glad you finally came clean.