PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Knowing how Management personalities can be, I wonder if Brian Elliott said something offhand about how disappointed he is in the direction of the program, some guy overhears it and paraphrases it to a higher up guy, who gets a little panicky and without talking to Elliott or getting context (both of which are often viewed as "wastes of time" by Management types) decides that UW is programa non grata.

That or maybe I've been around sales people too much, and it's making me bigoted towards mangers and their "perception is reality" nonsense.

bucky15
07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
It's funny coz as a Hawks fan, there are parallels...

Once proud franchise (program) with a vibrant fan base brought down by willful negligence and managerial incompetence. The inability to understand how to build a team and coaching staff coupled with an utter disconnect (and seeming disdain) with the formerly loyal fan base.

This will take a long, LONG time to dig out from and the Wisconsin Hockey that we once knew is possibly (likely) gone forever.

So when to we get to draft Kane and Toews?

Rough times ahead indeed. At least the down cycles between the Hawks and Badgers do not overlap.

Chuck Schwartz
07-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Knowing how Management personalities can be, I wonder if Brian Elliott said something offhand about how disappointed he is in the direction of the program, some guy overhears it and paraphrases it to a higher up guy, who gets a little panicky and without talking to Elliott or getting context (both of which are often viewed as "wastes of time" by Management types) decides that UW is programa non grata.

That or maybe I've been around sales people too much, and it's making me bigoted towards mangers and their "perception is reality" nonsense.

I think it's far more likely that the Senior Advisor to the General Manager of the St. Louis Blues Al MacInnis, who has a son that is a prominent star forward for the Kitchener Rangers, got into Opilka's head.

Gurtholfin
07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Rough times ahead indeed. At least the down cycles between the Hawks and Badgers do not overlap.

No doubt. I've got plenty of good (great) hockey to keep me satisfied. Couple that with my kid playing high school and I barely even miss the Badgers. Hate to say that, but it's the truth.

Makes me sad though.

The Packers and Badgers have had a similar penchant to not both be bad at the same time for the past 20 years or so - which has been fun although neither has been bad like the Hawks were or the Badger hockey team currently is.

WiscDC
07-02-2015, 10:56 AM
BA will hopefully be exposed for what he is during the process to replace Bo. People need to forget about him being the football coach and look at what he has done during his current job. His pride and joy program has had 2 coaches leave in the middle of the night during the season in the last 3 years.

Given the current state of the men's basketball program, I don't think it will be too hard of a task to bring in a good coach. In fact, it's easier to be a "good coach" now than it has ever been, because recruiting is easier.

I don't know the entire process of the hiring of Kelly Sheffield, but that was an absolute moon shot of a home run hire.

I'm a guy who applauds/cheers Alvarez at events selectively: If it's as a football coach, applause. If he's doing an AD thing that's more about something else he's presenting to someone, that'll probably be a golf clap. I tend to keep quiet when he's introduced as an AD. Hockey is becoming less and less a difference-maker from other athletic departments (in that it is a third sport that is bigger/better than most school's first.)

WiscDC
07-02-2015, 11:10 AM
This will take a long, LONG time to dig out from and the Wisconsin Hockey that we once knew is possibly (likely) gone forever.

I'm afraid of Wisconsin Hockey following in the footsteps of Bowling Green.

That was a difficult sentence to type.

WiscTJK
07-02-2015, 11:10 AM
What makes this all the more worse is most on this board recognized the state of the program. I still can't believe that the powers in the athletic department didn't see this and make the proper changes.

bucky15
07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
The WIAC is looking for a 6th member. Recruiting is trending to this move.

solovsfett
07-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm afraid of Wisconsin Hockey following in the footsteps of Bowling Green.

That was a difficult sentence to type.

omg...if that's where this ends up...let's face it, UW is closer to following Bowling Green than winning 10 games, let alone 20.

solovsfett
07-02-2015, 11:51 AM
What makes this all the more worse is most on this board recognized the state of the program. I still can't believe that the powers in the athletic department didn't see this and make the proper changes.

They saw it. They just chose to partially ignore it.

I have 0 respect for Barry Alvarez at this point. It was his decision to partially ignore the problem. His, and his alone. He'll have to deal with 3,000-4,000 people showing up to games all of next season and eventually come to an understanding of just how ****ing stupid his decision was.

Either that or he'll pass it off on King and fire both Eaves and King after this coming season's fiasco.

drop_the_puck
07-02-2015, 12:06 PM
At least with Bowling Green they didn't have a 15,000 seat arena that will look **** near empty and top three facilities in the nation that will be absolutely wasted. I've said it before, you have every advantage at Wisconsin outside of the actual playing/coaching hockey aspect. You should never be a bottom 5 program in the nation. expletive, expletive.

WiscTJK
07-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Well I sent another email to Jason King. I don't think it will do any good, but the more that send them the better.

WiscTJK
07-02-2015, 12:14 PM
At least with Bowling Green they didn't have a 15,000 seat arena that will look **** near empty and top three facilities in the nation that will be absolutely wasted. I've said it before, you have every advantage at Wisconsin outside of the actual playing/coaching hockey aspect. You should never be a bottom 5 program in the nation. expletive, expletive.

your absolutely right. We have everything you need to be a top 5 program.....

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-02-2015, 12:56 PM
I think it's far more likely that the Senior Advisor to the General Manager of the St. Louis Blues Al MacInnis, who has a son that is a prominent star forward for the Kitchener Rangers, got into Opilka's head.Yeah, but my version lets me be a sad, bitter, miserable bastard, which suits my mood as far as UW athletics goes.

At least with Bowling Green they didn't have a 15,000 seat arena that will look **** near emptyThey have La Bahn, where we can finally sell out home games again.

Almington
07-02-2015, 01:46 PM
omg...if that's where this ends up...let's face it, UW is closer to following Bowling Green than winning 10 games, let alone 20.

I can't imagine that the rest of the B1G would allow that to happen with the conference needing 6 teams to maintain the autobid.

Barry may not care about the hockey program, but he does care about potentially ****ing off the rest of the conference, particularly UMI and OSU. Even Barry has to realize that it's one thing to push to F-over the non-BIG WCHA and CCHA teams, it's another to stick it to the other 5 BIG athletic departments. (of course I suspect that ND would be admitted as an hockey only member in short order, but that's a whole different issue). Because when the wholesale realignment comes to college athletics, UW cannot afford to be on the outside looking in (That's also a whole separate issue).

Hammy
07-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Barry may not care about the hockey program, but he does care about potentially ****ing off the rest of the conference, particularly UMI and OSU. Even Barry has to realize that it's one thing to push to F-over the non-BIG WCHA and CCHA teams, it's another to stick it to the other 5 BIG athletic departments. (of course I suspect that ND would be admitted as an hockey only member in short order, but that's a whole different issue). Because when the wholesale realignment comes to college athletics, UW cannot afford to be on the outside looking in (That's also a whole separate issue).

I get what you are saying but let's be honest... the B1G really only has two programs that would really consider hockey as important (Minnesota and Michigan... I'll let you decide if you think UW qualifies because it appears like they don't from my perspective). Even Michigan is even somewhat questionable in that equation given that hockey is practically a non-revenue sport for them. I think the other B1G coaches don't want UW to be **** poor because it hurts the overall conference (although maybe a place like Penn State can step up and fill the gap to some extent) but I doubt most of the ADs at other schools pay much attention to it because it isn't a sport that makes their revenue engine hum. If anything, they probably relate more to Alvarez's perspective since he is more of a football/basketball focused guy.

Hammy
07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
They saw it. They just chose to partially ignore it.

I have 0 respect for Barry Alvarez at this point. It was his decision to partially ignore the problem. His, and his alone. He'll have to deal with 3,000-4,000 people showing up to games all of next season and eventually come to an understanding of just how ****ing stupid his decision was.

I can't fathom why Alvarez didn't just start fresh and fire the entire group. Even if the assistants are better, they are going to be fighting a major perception problem when recruiting against top programs for good players. Recruits are going to continually hear about the instability (whether real or perceived) at UW and then measure that against programs with a lot to offer but more stability in the coaching. It's just not a winning formula. You'd think a guy like Alvarez would understand that since he knows what it is like to be recruiting out there. Perception counts for a lot. IMO, keeping Eaves around has simply delayed the rebuilding another few years beyond what it already would have been.

From a Gopher perspective, it is easy to see the situation and take glee in it. At the same time, I also see it from a big picture perspective and a weak UW program doesn't help the conference. At least Penn State seems to be heading into a competitive situation faster than expected and seems committed to building an elite program so that helps fill the gap for UW's miserable state of affairs. Still, it would help all members if UW is on solid footing and competitive.

Chuck Schwartz
07-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I think it's far more likely that the Senior Advisor to the General Manager of the St. Louis Blues Al MacInnis, who has a son that is a prominent star forward for the Kitchener Rangers, got into Opilka's head.

Was told this is 100% accurate. I didn't realize this, but MacInnis is also a minority owner with Kitchener.

Almington
07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I get what you are saying but let's be honest... the B1G really only has two programs that would really consider hockey as important (Minnesota and Michigan... I'll let you decide if you think UW qualifies because it appears like they don't from my perspective). Even Michigan is even somewhat questionable in that equation given that hockey is practically a non-revenue sport for them. I think the other B1G coaches don't want UW to be **** poor because it hurts the overall conference (although maybe a place like Penn State can step up and fill the gap to some extent) but I doubt most of the ADs at other schools pay much attention to it because it isn't a sport that makes their revenue engine hum. If anything, they probably relate more to Alvarez's perspective since he is more of a football/basketball focused guy.

You don't think that if UW just up and announced that they were dropping the program that the AD's wouldn't be ****ed that the conference would be risk of losing the auto-bid to the NCAA tournament? Sure that might be preferable if UW continues to be unable to beat anyone in NC play in the long term, but the short term headache that it would cause because they would have to focus attention and energy on fixing the issue that would be drawn away from their revenue sports. That is why I think they would not be happy with Alvarez, particularly since it was blowing up a program that was responsible for 5-10% of UW's AD revenue relatively recently that most of them would be happy to have.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Hopefully the fans leaving in droves will correct the issue eventually. If not, I don't know what we can do.

Perhaps snarky chants from the fans, directed at Alvarez? Phil Dzick dropping his tickets? A game where 8,000 tickets are sold and 7500 fans show up, but don't scan their tickets and mill around outside the Kohl Center in protest? Blackmail Barry? Burn the KC to the ground and blame Waukesha County separatists?