PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Someone needs to get a hold of the list of applicants and fill us in.

Is this a thing you can file a freedom of information request for?

gwhinwi
05-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Yep. Open records request will have to tell you all of the people that applied for the job. There were a some interesting applications (Bronco Mendenhall) when the Badgers opened up the position the last time for football (even though they had the candidate picked already.)

RedStripes
05-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Yes. Under Wisconsin law, the identities of the "final candidates" for a public position are generally subject to public records requests.

Timothy A
05-05-2015, 08:05 AM
Yep. Open records request will have to tell you all of the people that applied for the job. There were a some interesting applications (Bronco Mendenhall) when the Badgers opened up the position the last time for football (even though they had the candidate picked already.)

Come on Mr. Baggott, earn you pay on this one......If only one of us would have took Chuck's job, we'd have the list already. (edit...I just emailed abaggot@madison.com to prod him along)

Can he still add to the list or was that 2 week window the only window to apply?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Come on Mr. Baggott, earn you pay on this one......If only one of us would have took Chuck's job, we'd have the list already. (edit...I just emailed abaggot@madison.com to prod him along)

Can he still add to the list or was that 2 week window the only window to apply?

I don't suppose any of the hockey writers left behind at B5Q are lurkers here, are they?

gwhinwi
05-05-2015, 09:59 AM
If only one of us would have took Chuck's job, we'd have the list already.

I can barely put together a coherent board post, so I felt that I wasn't fit to apply for Chuck's job.

KaMiGo
05-05-2015, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure that in a case like this they would only release the information after the positions have been offered and accepted.

XYZ
05-05-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that in a case like this they would only release the information after the positions have been offered and accepted.

An open records request would require a Wisconsin state school to release the full list of applicant names. A school can charge a bit for copies, time spent to compile, whatever, but would have to disclose it. Often a simple email to the SID will take care of it, especially if you're on familiar terms with the SID and/or mention you'll file a FOIA request if you must.

Chuck Schwartz
05-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Wisconsin won't release the names until after the coaches are hired. At least the way it's always been handled in the past. I'm sure Baggot has already submitted a request.

Timothy A
05-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Wisconsin won't release the names until after the coaches are hired. At least the way it's always been handled in the past. I'm sure Baggot has already submitted a request.

Andy did respond to me and he did indeed file an application last week. He said he was still waiting.

Wisko McBadgerton
05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
We may very well be disappointed in the end but despite the negativity surrounding the program at the moment, I'm not sure the assistant's job isn't a pretty good opportunity for a lot of candidates. First, there aren't a lot of $130k-$150k coaching jobs in hockey. Which alone is a big thing. Second, if successful in contributing to a turn around, the assistants will receive a good deal of the credit. And if unsuccessful and the whole staff gets axed, the blame isn't going to fall on the assistants at all.
UW seems willing to offer a multi-year contract that would come with a buyout should things go awry. Hard to pocket a year or two of salary all at once for most guys even at the top assistant level. For someone ambitious and confident in their abilities, it seems to me it can be a pretty good opportunity when the worst case is a pretty good payout with little/no risk to reputation, and the best case is you look like a saviour/genius and everybody throws offers at you.

It will be interesting to see who applied. I gotta believe a decision will be coming down pretty soon. At least I hope so. Eaves is in a real bind with needing to fill scholarships and having no staff to sell.

Chuck Schwartz
05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Mike's "recruiting" trip to Canada a few weeks ago may not have been for players.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
05-06-2015, 12:53 PM
That report of him attending a game with Butters gets more ominous by the day...

Timothy A
05-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Mike's "recruiting" trip to Canada a few weeks ago may not have been for players.

I'll take Mario Lemieux and Ray Borque as assistant coaches, with Cujo volunteering as goalie coach. All 3 are bored just sitting around doing nothing.

Badger Booster
05-06-2015, 04:03 PM
That report of him attending a game with Butters gets more ominous by the day...

Man, don't even joke about that. I'd rather they keep an open vacancy for the year.

GoBucky!
05-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Per Baggot "Badgers men's hockey: Mike Eaves to speak to Mark Osiecki about open assistant job"

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-mike-eaves-to-speak-to-mark/article_3afbb72d-7b88-5401-9f3d-4fd9a44e5805.html#ixzz3ZPcvkYNU

"It remains to be seen if those amenities are enough to sway Osiecki, who sought to return to the staff in 2013 — only to see Eaves hire Walsh."

Eaves hired Walsh over bringing Osiecki back??:eek:

Timothy A
05-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-mike-eaves-to-speak-to-mark/article_3afbb72d-7b88-5401-9f3d-4fd9a44e5805.html#ixzz3ZPcvkYNU

"It remains to be seen if those amenities are enough to sway Osiecki, who sought to return to the staff in 2013 only to see Eaves hire Walsh."

If this is true, this is just shows what a crazy idiot Eaves is. Did he not give Oz any credit for the recruiting that paid big dividends to his team? Did he actually think Schuey was recruiting at the level Oz was? OMG this is just ridiculous.

Chuck Schwartz
05-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Per Baggot "Badgers men's hockey: Mike Eaves to speak to Mark Osiecki about open assistant job"

"It remains to be seen if those amenities are enough to sway Osiecki, who sought to return to the staff in 2013 only to see Eaves hire Walsh."

Wow.

WiscTJK
05-06-2015, 10:57 PM
If this is true, this is just shows what a crazy idiot Eaves is. Did he not give Oz any credit for the recruiting that paid big dividends to his team? Did he actually think Schuey was recruiting at the level Oz was? OMG this is just ridiculous.

I don't know what's worse, eaves hiring Walsh over Oz, or the good ole boys in the athletic department that knew this and didn't fire the clown this year. A guy doing coaching seminars or a great recruiter with head coaching experience. Tough call there (rolling eyes).

I just want to scream.....

Gurtholfin
05-06-2015, 11:36 PM
It just keeps getting better...