PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

bucky15
04-10-2015, 04:28 PM
As a father I understand. As a fan of this dark time in the program, I understand. No problem with his reasoning.

More holes to fill, more kids to bring in too early, etc.

With having a kid, maybe he felt another mission to space was just too unsafe.

All in all, can't blame him for looking out for his family. Seemed like a nice person and talented off the ice.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-10-2015, 04:51 PM
He is too old to play in the WHL. Where do you think he will go or is this the end of the road for his hockey career?

This might be a surprise, but they actually have college hockey in Canada.

Great young man, sorry to see him go as I was looking forward to seeing him play next year. He showed flashes of what he could really do a few times this year and the rest of the boys will certainly miss him on the ice and in the locker room. Wish he and his family the very best. Once a Badger, always a Badger, Zully.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
So he's leavin the team, as opposed to signing a pro deal? Am I hearing that right?

bucky15
04-10-2015, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Wisko McBadgerton;6148733]This might be a surprise, but they actually have college hockey in Canada.

QUOTE]

Wow! What a surprise, didn't know that.

Unless you are Joel Ward, then college hockey in Canada is the end of the road.

oldtyme25
04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
So he's leavin the team, as opposed to signing a pro deal? Am I hearing that right?

I doubt with 5 goals and 15 points last year, and ca career stat line of 9 goals and 33 total points in 78 game will garner him a contract.

I wish him the best in the future!

Wisko McBadgerton
04-10-2015, 05:25 PM
Wow! What a surprise, didn't know that.

Unless you are Joel Ward, then college hockey in Canada is the end of the road.

How come everybody's so touchy these days? He may play for fun, which would probably be a change, (Just ask Keegan.) while he finishes his degree. He has some talent and perhaps he will still have an opportunity to play pro hockey in the future, but I guess you have to wonder if that's the life he'll want to live. Not much family time in the pros.

Chuck Schwartz
04-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Yes. I'll have an update with the press release in a bit here but he's returning home to be with his three year old son. He's going to transfer to a college closer to home. Hopefully he can continue his career in CIS hockey.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Yes. I'll have an update with the press release in a bit here but he's returning home to be with his three year old son. He's going to transfer to a college closer to home. Hopefully he can continue his career in CIS hockey.

I doubt with 5 goals and 15 points last year, and ca career stat line of 9 goals and 33 total points in 78 game will garner him a contract.

I wish him the best in the future!
That surprises me. I know it's pretty easy to be more talented than your stats would show if you played for last year's Badgers, but I legitimately felt like he played better than that stat line.

Or maybe I just keep seeing the 'Z' and keep wishing he was Mark Zengerle.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-10-2015, 06:08 PM
That surprises me. I know it's pretty easy to be more talented than your stats would show if you played for last year's Badgers, but I legitimately felt like he played better than that stat line.

He can certainly play some. He was on a point streak coming out of the break and Eaves observed today that he played his best hockey at that time, as his family was in Madison visiting. I really thought he was finally getting it going, but in retrospect it seems clear being away from his son and family weighed heavily on him pretty much his whole time here. Good for him for trying to make a go of it, and good for him for recognizing it just wasn't going to work next year. It's difficult to imagine how hard it is, especially for such a young father, but he stuck it out and didn't bail out on his team during the season just because it was hard. Much respect to him and I've no doubt he has a bright future ahead of him in whatever he decides to pursue.

Gandalf the Red
04-10-2015, 06:08 PM

He never lived up to the hype generated as he was recruited, but very sorry to see him good. I was always waiting for him to break out, but I think he was the kind of player that compliments other talent very well, but isn't the star on his own, and if this years Badgers lacked one thing it was talent to compliment. Wishing him the best on this move.

I have to ask, where are Mike Eaves' sons and maybe he should go spend some time with them too? (sorry couldn't help myself)

Gandalf the Red
04-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Youth was never and will never be a problem. Talent and coaching are the fundamental underpinnings of winning hockey and winning titles. Though Eaves did successfully sell that youth excuse in the past.

Successfully sell it in the past? He sells this excuse 2 out of 4 years during every recruiting "cycle" of unbalanced classes. While other teams win with young players, Eaves sends them to Space Camp to ready for a future mission of winning once every 4 years.

I think Eaves really would be a good politician. He makes countless excuses, takes no responsibility for his shortcoming or failings, tunes out people who are unhappy w/ him (fans vs voters) and is a self absorbed, arrogant dbag. I think BA keeps Eaves around because Eaves reminds BA of himself. It sure isn't Bo Ryan....

altazo
04-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Zulinick is leaving the team.

He can come up to SNC. They have done well with D1 transfers in the past. Their leading goal scorer this season is a young father whose college playing career began at Fairbanks. He could win some games too in the process...

RedStripes
04-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Ugh. Well I understand this because of his son.

Can't get on someone for wanting to be involved with their kid but I don't think you can totally divorce his leaving from the issues surrounding the team. Much easier to leave for a good reason when staying leaves you in the middle of a dumpster fire.

gwhinwi
04-10-2015, 07:46 PM
While other teams win with young players, Eaves sends them to Space Camp to ready for a future mission of winning once every 4 years.

I think Eaves really would be a good politician.

Don't tell Eaves about Space Camp, he'll start fantasizing about playing the Tom Skerritt role of teaching the unprepared kids to do something impossible.

Also, he is a lot like a politician. Every four years he gives you a great bit of build up with a ton of promises, but follows it up with a descent into 3 years of doing next to nothing but getting ready for another run in 4 years.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Can't get on someone for wanting to be involved with their kid but I don't think you can totally divorce his leaving from the issues surrounding the team. Much easier to leave for a good reason when staying leaves you in the middle of a dumpster fire.

I think you're vastly underestimating the character of some of these kids. There's nothing easy about leaving the program or your friends and teammates when they are in a crisis. If they were loaded and didn't need him it would be a much easier decision.

RedStripes
04-10-2015, 08:42 PM
I think you're vastly underestimating the character of some of these kids. There's nothing easy about leaving the program or your friends and teammates when they are in a crisis. If they were loaded and didn't need him it would be a much easier decision.

Very possible as I have never met Morgan. But I think for most people its a lot easier to leave a bad situation than a good one.

Chuck Schwartz
04-10-2015, 09:42 PM
As I briefly mentioned on the blog today this has been building for a long time. I believe a major reason he ended up redshirting his freshman year was because of the birth of Noah. Obviously he was hurt for a good chunk of time, but he could have returned with I'd say 1/3 of the season remaining. I remember going to practice one day and seeing him skate and wondering why on earth he was still listed as out with an injury. But in the end I think it was probably good for him to focus on what was important in his life at the time, which was his family and school. And obviously he's prioritizing those things again. Had to be an incredibly tough decision. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-10-2015, 11:16 PM
If ever there was a right reason to make a decision of any kind, it's for your kid.

WiscTJK
04-10-2015, 11:35 PM
If ever there was a right reason to make a decision of any kind, it's for your kid.

You bet. 100% correct

Timothy A
04-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Best wishes and God's Blessings to Zully. Some day Noah might be a great legacy recruit for UW. :)

Zully embodies a common theme among Eaves' players in that he was never able to extract game performance out of him that matched is talent. Hopefully the new coaches will be able to correct this flaw.