PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Who will be in South Bend?

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Me.

Have hotel reservations. Made them today. Tons of availability at a hotel just 5 miles from the arena. Working on tickets. I think they will become more and more plentiful as the week goes by, too, and, cheaper.

551 miles from my front door to the hotel in South Bend. We're playing the late game. I'm not even leaving, then, until Saturday morning. We can leave at a reasonable hour, even, and still be there in plenty of time.

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm uncertain what I want to do for tickets..sit in the University allotment, or buy from a ND Season ticket holder..

MavsFan19
03-22-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm uncertain what I want to do for tickets..sit in the University allotment, or buy from a ND Season ticket holder..
Me and 3 alumni will be there. we are leaving Friday night and doing an all night road trip to the game as per is our usual custom for traveling to away games. Staying at Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka

I think we are going to go with the University for tickets so we are not on an island by ourselves at the game

anyone know of a close pregame bar to meet up at?

Iwearpurple
03-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Wife and I are going.

Looks like we have already exceeded Priceless' prediction of 10.

MavsFan19
03-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Wife and I are going.

Looks like we have already exceeded Priceless' prediction of 10.

I'd really like to school arrange some type of bus option for games like this

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd really like to school arrange some type of bus option for games like this

I'm working on it..

WeAreNDHockey
03-22-2015, 02:55 PM
I remember the days when UNO was first in the CCHA and a good group of Maverick fans would make their way to the Joyce Center for games. The new place is a little different. Absent all the bitterness of how woefully Notre Dame has coasted and underachieved since moving to the Compton in 2011, it is a pretty nice place. Great views from any seat in the house, easy parking, and maybe for the NCAAs they'll focus on hockey and not all the secondary crap that goes on during Notre Dame games. Any of you who make it to the games should stop by the seats over the home team tunnel. That's where JeffJacksonForPresident (my sister) and I sit. We'll be there (my attendance Saturday is dependent on whether or not the men's basketball team is still playing). I'm guessing we will be among the very few Notre Dame season ticket holders who will be present. When the attendance is announced keep in mind Notre Dame had all season ticket holders purchase tickets with their season ticket strip, so the numbers will likely be extremely inflated. Safe travels to all and good luck to all of the teams. Hope I'm wrong about the crowds.

WeAreNDHockey
03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Me and 3 alumni will be there. we are leaving Friday night and doing an all night road trip to the game as per is our usual custom for traveling to away games. Staying at Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka

I think we are going to go with the University for tickets so we are not on an island by ourselves at the game

anyone know of a close pregame bar to meet up at?

There are a couple of very close options. Legends of Notre Dame is located on the campus just south of the football stadium and west of the ice arena. At the corner of Angela and Eddy Street (Angela borders the ice arena on the south side) is a cluster of places to eat/drink, including a Five Guys and O'Rourks. They are all pleasant enough but I'm not the one to rate eating/drinking establishments. If you are just looking for a place to hang and grab something to eat/drink they'll work just fine.

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
I remember the days when UNO was first in the CCHA and a good group of Maverick fans would make their way to the Joyce Center for games. The new place is a little different. Absent all the bitterness of how woefully Notre Dame has coasted and underachieved since moving to the Compton in 2011, it is a pretty nice place. Great views from any seat in the house, easy parking, and maybe for the NCAAs they'll focus on hockey and not all the secondary crap that goes on during Notre Dame games. Any of you who make it to the games should stop by the seats over the home team tunnel. That's where JeffJacksonForPresident (my sister) and I sit. We'll be there (my attendance Saturday is dependent on whether or not the men's basketball team is still playing). I'm guessing we will be among the very few Notre Dame season ticket holders who will be present. When the attendance is announced keep in mind Notre Dame had all season ticket holders purchase tickets with their season ticket strip, so the numbers will likely be extremely inflated. Safe travels to all and good luck to all of the teams. Hope I'm wrong about the crowds.

Any insight on smart places to stay, eat, drink?

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 03:29 PM

Rumor has it from a local source I trust (the owner/operator of Mavpuck.com) is that the school's allotments are 400 tickets per team.

I'll be on the phone to the UNO ticket office at 8:00 A.M. tomorrow.

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 03:31 PM

If we can get in the **** building I think there will a lot more UNO fans there than you might think. There sure was when we played Michigan in St Louis in 2011. We outnumbered their fans.

Slap Shot
03-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Good luck Mankato!

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Question for everyone, and, I assume it may have been addressed and answered elsewhere, I just have yet to see it yet.

Has the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Hockey Tournament ever before been a team that has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game?

My guess would be yes but I bet it has been a very long time. Certainly, this was true at the very first tourney, obviously, and for awhile thereafter, from time to time.

Perhaps, better put, how long has it been?

I think this is a very great achievement for the Purple Cows as well as for their fans and one they should be rightfully very proud of.

Given who their head coach is, I certainly can't say I'm all that surprised, though.

GrinCDXX
03-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Question for everyone, and, I assume it may have been addressed and answered elsewhere, I just have yet to see it yet.

Has the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Hockey Tournament ever before been a team that has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game?

My guess would be yes but I bet it has been a very long time. Certainly, this was true at the very first tourney, obviously, and for awhile thereafter, from time to time.

Perhaps, better put, how long has it been?

I think this is a very great achievement for the Purple Cows as well as for their fans and one they should be rightfully very proud of.

Given who their head coach is, I certainly can't say I'm all that surprised, though.

Q in 2013 perhaps?

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Q in 2013 perhaps?

I believe you are correct.

I must say, I did not give this one a lot of thought before posing the question.

Anybody come up with an others? I have not researched this at all. I'm actually trying to get my taxes done (Blecchh!) here at my desk.

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 06:35 PM
A few UNO tidbits about it's history of playing the other teams in this regional.

UNO has only played Harvard twice in the history of the program. Both games were at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in December of 1998 and UNO was swept by scores of 4-1 & 4-3.

Not sure if I attended either of those games. I didn't get UNO season tickets until the '99-'00 season and my attendance of games before that was much spottier.

UNO has played the Purple Cows every season of our program's existence, save for last season, '13-'14 (thank you, realignment, for screwing up the only uninterrupted series with another team we had until then) and, it resumed this season, with the two teams splitting a series in Omaha this past October. We have a traveling trophy with them, the "Spirit of the Maverick" (they being the closest D-1 program, distance-wise, to Omaha) and UNO is 14-18-5 against them, all time. Minnesota State Head Coach Mike Hastings is a former UNO assistant (to Dean Blais for 3 seasons, before leaving for the Mankato job) and Hastings is totally, utterly and completely hockey royalty in Omaha, having been the Head Coach of the Omaha Lancers of the USHL from '94-'08, where all he did was become the winningest Coach in the history of the USHL at 529-210-56, never had a losing season and he led the Lancers to 3 Clark Cup titles as the USHL’s play-off champions. He was also named the USHL Coach of the Year three times and, as the team’s general manager, earned league GM-of-the-Year honors five times. If it is our good fortune to get by Harvard in this deal, and they get by RIT, we'll have to work up some hate, somehow, for that one. I dare say the fans of our two schools are pretty friendly, even, since a lot of our co-existence since UNO's inception in '97-'98 (theirs in '96-'97 at D-1) was spent in mutual pseudo-mediocrity.

UNO has played RIT 3 times. All in Omaha. Oddly, the first two games were the weekend before the only 2 games we've ever played against Harvard in '98 and they swept us as well, by scores of 4-2 & 5-3.

Footnote: We stunk in '98-'99, going 11-24-0.

The other game was an appearance in Omaha by RIT in 2010 for the 2nd-to-the-last time we have held the Maverick Stampede, which was a preseason tournament that UNO held from '00-'11. Why we have stopped holding it, I do not know, exactly. UNO defeated RIT 5-3 in the championship game that year, a game that I attended.

blazer777
03-22-2015, 07:46 PM
A few UNO tidbits about it's history of playing the other teams in this regional.

UNO has played RIT 3 times. All in Omaha. Oddly, the first two games were the weekend before the only 2 games we've ever played against Harvard in '98 and they swept us as well, by scores of 4-2 & 5-3.

Footnote: We stunk in '98-'99, going 11-24-0.

The other game was an appearance in Omaha by RIT in 2010 for the 2nd-to-the-last time we have held the Maverick Stampede, which was a preseason tournament that UNO held from '00-'11. Why we have stopped holding it, I do not know, exactly. UNO defeated RIT 5-3 in the championship game that year, a game that I attended.

The Tigers tend to start the season slowly and then kick it into gear near the end. 2010 was their run into the FF so they definitely turned it on later that season. Much appears to be the same this season as the team struggled early on but started winning down the stretch to get into the tourney.

Riz
03-22-2015, 07:49 PM
My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. UNO really isn't playing well lately, and I'm not a huge believer in Mankato. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.

MavsFan19
03-22-2015, 08:04 PM
My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. UNO really isn't playing well lately, and I'm not a huge believer in Mankato. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.

Riz? Have you seen Mankato UNO RIT Harvard play?

I obviously believe MSU can take this regional but I also know better to bet against anyone in a one and done format. I haven't seen RIT or Harvard so I can't say MsuM or UNO is better then them. UNO slumped a bit but blais will have them ready. Should be a great weekend of hockey.