PDA

View Full Version : UML Offseason 2015: It's not rebuilding anymore

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

UMLFan
03-22-2015, 10:44 AM
I'll admit, I wasn't ready for this season to end, mostly because I never saw this season playing out the way it did.

But it's time to start thinking about next year.

Lose three seniors. Two on the back line which are huge. But there's some talent coming in as well. On the defensive side, Goransson, Folin and Berisha will be freshmen in October. For forwards, Sifferlen finally hits campus three years after he originally committed. Along with him as Dmowski, Master, LeClerc and Anderson. I like that forward group a lot, three in particular, but we'll see how that works out.

Have to figure that with 28 currently on the roster and making the adjustments for the grads/frosh, we're not going to have 33. I have a feeling that some of the lesser used guys like Hollman, Mayea and Hough might be leaving the program as well? Next year's seniors include the two transfers, Boyle and Francis, but three year mainstays Colantone, Fallon, White, Chapie, and McGrath as well (6 forwards and one G).

HE will be just as strong next year, if not more so. There's a lot of good talent coming in across the board, even at UMass.

One more note: Three straight years of making it to the HE Final. Three straight years of NCAA Tournament appearances. Records set for most wins in a 4 year span. Major, major, major thank you to Terrance Wallin, Jake Suter and Zack Kamrass for what they did at Lowell. I don't ever forget the players that have represented our school with pride, talent and most of all, academic aptitude. Best of luck Seniors. And thank you again.

UMLDOUG
03-22-2015, 11:12 AM
well said monty!!!

UMLFan
03-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Good article in CHN about Lowell (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/03/22_umass-lowell_proves_its_here.php) proving it's here to stay.

UMLFan
03-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Have to admit, gotten spoiled the last three years. No Lowell hockey this weekend just sucks.

leswp1
03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
With you Monty. It will be very weird to be home instead of trying to figure out how to get out of work and to a game. :(

kevin donnelly
03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm fully in 4th stage of grief and am not ready to accepts facts yet. I know there are good things coming next year, just not ready to admit this season is over. Whah.

Patman
03-23-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm fully in 4th of grief and am not ready to accepts facts yet. I know there are good things coming next year, just not ready to admit this season is over. Whah.

I know I feel all gunned up and ready to take a run to the national title... but the team isn't there

edit: for me, its missing out on the pre-game parties and things like that... that and the frozen four was a blast... I want to do that again... next year?

Nick Papagiorgio
03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
What is UMLs goaltending situation like for next year. Is Boyle the guy? And if so, what is the confidence in him?

Middle Street
03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
What is UMLs goaltending situation like for next year. Is Boyle the guy? And if so, what is the confidence in him?

My assumption is he returns to the team and will compete again for the staring job. He had two freshman backing him up this season. One got hurt at the beginning of the season for a lengthy period of time, the other one (Jeff Smith) did not play well following Northeastern series leading Boyle to secure the job.

Smith was on the central scouting list as a potential late round draft pick at one point but he was never drafted. I think most fans at the beginning of the season thought he might win the job.

I don't think there is a ton of confidence in Boyle however he did get better as the year went on. He struggles with rebound control and covering loose pucks. I don't recall him giving up a ton of goals five hole, but that's what BU went for, and it worked.

They have a new recruit incoming from the USHL, but his numbers aren't all that impressive either. I've got to imagine one of the goalies won't be returning.

UMLFan
03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
They have a new recruit incoming from the USHL, but his numbers aren't all that impressive either. I've got to imagine one of the goalies won't be returning.
The recruit is actually coming in for the 2016/2017 season if I'm not mistaken.

Middle Street
03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
The recruit is actually coming in for the 2016/2017 season if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure you're right. That would make more sense.

walrus
03-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Maybe you guys can straighten this guy out
http://blogs.lowellsun.com/whatsbuggingme/2015/03/23/227/

UMLFan
03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
NESN's Tom Caron would like to see the field expanded (http://nesn.com/2015/03/tom-caron-college-hockey-should-mimic-basketball-expand-tournament/).

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
03-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Maybe you guys can straighten this guy out
http://blogs.lowellsun.com/whatsbuggingme/2015/03/23/227/

People already are. An unfortunate display of ignorance about the qualification process by someone who is supposedly the Sports Editor for the local newspaper.

Have to admit, gotten spoiled the last three years. No Lowell hockey this weekend just sucks.

Your program has had a very good run the last 4 years and expectations have been raised. Bazin is one of the best coaches in college hockey; I expect to see Lowell competing for a spot in the tourney every year as long as he's there.

Patman
03-23-2015, 04:08 PM
NESN's Tom Caron would like to see the field expanded (http://nesn.com/2015/03/tom-caron-college-hockey-should-mimic-basketball-expand-tournament/).

Ugh... no, it has enough teams.

bottomdweller
03-23-2015, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Friend_of_BU_Hockey;6134992]People already are. An unfortunate display of ignorance about the qualification process by someone who is supposedly the Sports Editor for the local newspaper.
QUOTE]

Close game? It could have been close, but Lowell did not play well, and O'Connor robbed all momentum Lowell could have got in the 2nd period with that save on Kamrass' shot.

tape
03-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Tom Caron makes me mad basically any time he opens his mouth. It doesn't help that he cites the irrelevant USCHO poll when referencing tournament selection.

leswp1
03-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Remember the times before the selection process and PWR was well known and were subjective. My memory might be warped but I think they revamped to make it more objective after UML and a few others were passed over/sent to far away places in favor of the anointed teams with bigger names and fan bases. This was moons ago but I still remember the up-roar. At the time I was a lot less knowledgeable (cue up comments on my current knowledge status) but I remember it being a controversy that was discussed at the coaches' meeting in FLA that yr.

boblav1
03-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Tom Caron makes me mad basically any time he opens his mouth. It doesn't help that he cites the irrelevant USCHO poll when referencing tournament selection.
When does he ever close his mouth? He never stops talking.

Gainzo
03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
It was a great, unexpected season. I really thought we would be sitting with UMass & UConn at the bottom of the standings and the season would be over 3 weeks ago. As everyone has mentioned I wanted more after getting to the Hockey East Championship Game for the 3rd season in a row.

I can't say enough about the the players who went all in when Norm was hired; Wetmore, Holmstrom, Ruhwedel, etc. Those guys laid the foundation and we haven't looked back as guys like Kamrass & Suter have put Lowell in the upper echelon of College Hockey.

BTW: We have great students, alumni and fans. I loved every minute I spent at the Garden on Friday and Saturday sitting with the Lowell faithful.