PDA

View Full Version : Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

'Gate Radio
04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Agree with you shabby. Totally wrong that there is no highlighting this on USCHO - one of the major post-season awards. It's a disgrace.

Going back to your question about Murphy, yes, I agree, he needs to keep his brain intact while playing. Too many penalties and he cost the team bigtime with that DQ. But....he has the talent to be a force next year. My hunch is the coaches thought putting the weight of responsibility on his shoulders would straighten him out. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'll take BU 3-1.

Just want to point out that the players vote on the captains, not the coaches.

ColgatePA
04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
So we're giving up a home game against Brown while in Belfast. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. :( Winning the Belpot Trophy would be nice, but not as nice as winning the Cleary Cup.

Does Colgate have any alumni in Northern Ireland? I'm not familiar with our alumni in Ireland, but I may be the closest to Belfast by straight line distance.

I'm actually pretty excited for this game. When I moved over here 6 years ago, I didn't think that I would ever see Colgate play in anything again. My high school came over to Dublin this fall to play American football, and it was a pretty crazy experience. Hopefully this hockey game is just as good.

I haven't posted here in such a long time. I had to reset my password as it was over a decade old:
"Your password is 3745 days old, and has therefore expired."

TchrBill
04-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Welcome back, ColgatePA

At least Brown is losing Lamacchia and Lorito, but we still have N. Lappin to contend with. We need to beat the Bears because the following weekend will be tough. It's a great experience for the players, much like Italy...but you don't see NoDak and BU doing such crazy, global tours in the middle of the season. Whatever happened to the Cape Cod Classic? Colgate can't seem to commit to a reputable tournament, while Cornell gets BU at MSG - again. I'm guessing it all comes down to money and which teams draw the most fans. Shocking.

An article WAS written about Spiro's award on USCHO, but not sure that it made the front page, which is still wrong. It was posted 4/9.

http://www.uscho.com/2015/04/09/colgates-goulakos-epitomizes-what-the-senior-class-award-stands-for/

ColSkate65
04-12-2015, 11:43 AM
At least Brown is losing Lamacchia and Lorito, but we still have N. Lappin to contend with. We need to beat the Bears because the following weekend will be tough. It's a great experience for the players, much like Italy...but you don't see NoDak and BU doing such crazy, global tours in the middle of the season. Whatever happened to the Cape Cod Classic? Colgate can't seem to commit to a reputable tournament, while Cornell gets BU at MSG - again. I'm guessing it all comes down to money and which teams draw the most fans. Shocking.

Just shows a Colgate education is much more than athletics. The players will gain from this trip and while not in our backyard the teams involved are our competitors. The team benefits from keeping the number of off days to a minimum during holiday breaks IMHO, so it's not all bad. Just makes me upset that we lose the Brown game at Starr.

BU/PC game was a thriller, up and down, many changes in momentum. Can't remember an "own goal" like BU had; guess it was a first in an NCAA NC game. Really thought PC peaked at the right time. Hope to see us there next season :)

"Thus endith the college hockey season"........A Providence Friar

red133883
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
As far as Murphy getting the "A", I think it will be good if he can manage his emotions. Maybe having a letter on his jersey will actually force him to do that as well.

I am not a fan of the Northern Ireland games, only because of the potential games the following weekend. Puts us at a huge disadvantage that following weekend. As far as losing a conference game at home it stinks, but there are worse games to lose. I think it was a few years ago that people were talking about us losing the Cornell game to go play in Yankee stadium, I am glad that didn't happen.

sshablak
04-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Did I read somewhere we have Providence home for two games in early October ? GR ?

'Gate Radio
04-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Did I read somewhere we have Providence home for two games in early October ? GR ?

Halloween weekend, final non-conference series before league play. Other NC foes in October include Mercyhurst (x2), Northeastern and RIT. The rest of the non-conference games will be in November (Friendship Four vs Northeastern/Lowell) and January (Catamount Cup w/UVM, LSSU, Brown; Maine [x2])

sshablak
04-16-2015, 06:32 AM
And no Gillies now, I would of liked to see him, oh well, a good thing I guess.

Gate83
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
New post & pics on the new hockey rink. Live cam to follow the construction in the near future!
http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2015/4/16/GEN_0416152603.aspx

FlagDUDE08
04-16-2015, 04:27 PM
New post & pics on the new hockey rink. Live cam to follow the construction in the near future!
http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2015/4/16/GEN_0416152603.aspx

Great to see. I remember having fun seeing the progress on the construction of Pegula Ice Arena, and look forward to the same here, as well as eventaully attending games at the new arena.

CU13
04-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Welcome to Juliano Pagliero (and his wife Kristin), our new Assistant Coach! He played goalie for Niagara University and has coached at Utica College and most recently at Holy Cross. Check out the announcement on the Colgate Athletics website. Go 'Gate!!!!

ColSkate65
04-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Looks like pasta before every game from now on. Good hire! :)

Gotter
04-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Welcome to Juliano Pagliero (and his wife Kristin), our new Assistant Coach! He played goalie for Niagara University and has coached at Utica College and most recently at Holy Cross. Check out the announcement on the Colgate Athletics website. Go 'Gate!!!!Here's the link --> www.uscho.com/2015/04/20/colgate-adds-former-holy-cross-assistant-niagara-goalie-pagliero-to-coaching-staff/

CU13
04-23-2015, 10:19 PM
I am disappointed in the lack of chatter on this thread in regard to our new Assistant Coach. I would love to hear your reactions.

ColSkate65
04-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I am disappointed in the lack of chatter on this thread in regard to our new Assistant Coach. I would love to hear your reactions.

I'm all for Juliano. If DV hand picked him among many candidates, I'm sure DV has confidence that he will do a good job. Having a former goalie fills a gap in the coaching lineup and can only help Charlie and the incoming netminders. His achievements on the ice and coaching seem to fit the Colgate culture. I'm anxious to see how he melds with the players and what he can contribute to next year's team. With Spiro and the other seniors gone, it's going to be challenging to replicate our great season of 2014-15.

red133883
04-28-2015, 10:04 AM
To be honest, I haven't followed HC hockey all that much so I don't know how he actually is. I have confidence in Vaughn to choose the guy he needs, but we will see. As much as a few posters wanted spiro on the bench, he would have been a wrong choice. He is too close to the current team more friend than coach.

As far as the lack of activity I think everyone is in the hangover of the season and it will pick up as we get into the summer (and the rink makes new progress).

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Pagliero is an incredible coach. Fills the void of needing a goalie assistant on staff as well as unbelievable recruiter. Really works hard and has picked up some nice recruits for Holy Cross program.

ColSkate65
05-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Pagliero is an incredible coach. Fills the void of needing a goalie assistant on staff as well as unbelievable recruiter. Really works hard and has picked up some nice recruits for Holy Cross program.

I wasn't too familiar with the HC program. I'm glad to hear this :)

sshablak
05-02-2015, 08:17 AM
In a soldout, absolutely insane Utica Comets playoff game I wound up sitting next to Gary Heenan, the Utica College head coach. Pagliero worked for UC previous to Holy Cross. Heenan couldn't say enough good things about him, he said he's a tremendous recruiter. I have also read he has brought in a very highly touted recruiting class at HC. Looks like a good move for us.

College_Hockey_Fan
05-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear recruiting is a common theme continuing to be mentioned on Pagliero's talent. With the groundbreaking on the new facility it seems the future of the program is on a great path. One question that I've wondered over the last few years since I began watching the team is, how can the university / athletics get more people in the seats?

My wife, who is an alum, and I go into Hamilton at least a couple times each year with our kids. When we don't take the 3.5 hour trip down, I stream many of the games to keep up with the team. Thankfully our Colgate thread also helps keep us closer to what's happening in the Chenango Valley. I was looking over the USHO's attendance stats (http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/2014-2015/) and noticed that Colgate dropped a spot to #50 with the 2014 season. There are some game-time details that we often talk about like; where the pep band or red raider often are when absent from games.

We've had great years as a highly competitive team in the ECAC since I've been following. As a newbie following the team, I'd like to hear if anyone has thoughts on how the new rink's game-time experience or other booster initiatives could help get a crowd in the new place to make a trip in to Hamilton miserable for opposing teams.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and look forward to gaining the date of Cornell weekend.