PDA

View Full Version : Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

drewcu
03-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Twitter is reporting than Baun will sign on direct to an NHL roster and that it will not be the Bruins...no word on what team yet.

Ken Schott retweeted

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 21m21 minutes ago
Looks like Colgate free agent RW Kyle Baun going straight to an NHL roster, per Bruins source. Doesn't sound like it will be Boston's.

sk8tronthepond
03-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Twitter is reporting than Baun will sign on direct to an NHL roster and that it will not be the Bruins...no word on what team yet.

Like I said......;)

red133883
03-25-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm holding out hope until a reporter from the team that he signs with reports it

blemberg
03-25-2015, 07:36 PM
JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!

Bob McKenzieVerified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Colgate's Kyle Baun, sought after UFA, likely to take tonite before deciding where to sign. CHI, DET, CGY, WPG, EDM amongst most interested.

turk181
03-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Looks like it’s the BlackHawks for Baun..... https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/581133708121530368

blemberg
03-26-2015, 12:46 PM
It's too bad when kids leave early! I think a good number of players have regrets about leaving early. Best of luck to Kyle in his future and thanks for the past 3 years, it should have been 4!!!!! Sad to see the Cornwall line destroyed!

Now who is going to step up and take his place??? Any thoughts?

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 43s 44 seconds ago

CHI agrees to terms with Kyle Baun.

red133883
03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
So now that Baun is gone, what does everyone think about next season. This gives me great pause.

My guess is that you move Borkowski to the right wing with the spinks. I know mike is a center, but with the entire offseason Id hope shuffling it up won't be too bad.

I think with the departures of the seniors and Baun, we will still have a good team, but if we get injured, we won't even sniff a home playoff game let alone a bye. This year our depth almost got us to the tournament (still tough that we were bounced like we were) but we will be much more fragile next year

Rainman
03-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Yeesh ... after years of being "immune" to early departures, we're hit with two of them 3 years apart :( and Baun was undrafted too! :mad:

The good news is that we're in a better position roster-wise then we were in 2012 when Chris Wagner decided to leave early. As far as next year goes, we should still have two scoring lines, one anchored by the Spink twins, and another one with Darcy Murphy and Mike Borkowski. Assuming next year's incoming class consists of 3 forwards and 3 defensemen (based on Chris Heisenberg's recruiting list), we would still have 15 forwards and 8 defensemen. However, one of our returning forwards, Julian Fialkow, has yet to play a minute of ice time outside of exhibition games, so we *functionally* have 11 returning forwards and 5 returning defensemen. It will be mix of old and new players, but we should still have the chops to finish in the top half of the ECAC standings. Maybe one of our 2016 recruits arrives a year early, just like when Wagner departed?

sshablak
03-26-2015, 02:32 PM
CHN shows three defensemen and four forwards for next year.

Rainman
03-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Meanwhile, Chris Wagner will play against the Bruins tonight - in Boston! 7 PM on NESN (in New England) and NHL Network (nationally).

I'm going to sign off now until next season. I guess my 2,000th post will have to wait until October.

DaveH
03-26-2015, 04:07 PM
So now that Baun is gone, what does everyone think about next season. This gives me great pause.

My guess is that you move Borkowski to the right wing with the spinks. I know mike is a center, but with the entire offseason Id hope shuffling it up won't be too bad.

I think with the departures of the seniors and Baun, we will still have a good team, but if we get injured, we won't even sniff a home playoff game let alone a bye. This year our depth almost got us to the tournament (still tough that we were bounced like we were) but we will be much more fragile next year

My guess is they would leave Borkowski at center, with Murphy and ? on the wings. Panowyk played some left wing in the playoffs. Don't know what the situation with Black is. Got to have more than 1 line and Borkowski is too good a face off guy to out on a line that's already got a center that does OK on faceoffs. We'll see in the fall.

Best of luck to Kyle, I hope he has a long and good carreer. One thing we know - he'll give it all he's got.

See you in the fall.

ColSkate65
03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Sigh ... the post-season hangover has officially begun for me, and it'll probably last at least a week. It stings to see the season end despite 22 wins, our most since 2004-05. But in another context, we couldn't beat Yale, Quinnipiac, Harvard (3 opportunities!), BU, or Providence. So in a way, we don't deserve to make the NCAA Tournament, even though I really wanted to see us make the Frozen Four this year, it being in Boston and all. But I'll probably still go since it's in my backyard.

Unfortunately, I must classify this season as a "disappointment", since we did not make the NCAA's. But still, any of the Colgate hockey teams from 2006-13 will look at this year's team and say that this was a great season. We suffered injuries to key players and overcame adversity. We even got Mike Borkowski back in the lineup when we thought he was done for the year! The team last night played to the final horn and never quit. But if there was one thing that I could point to that went wrong this weekend, it was our penalty kill. Only 12 total penalty minutes, but 3 power play goals. Maybe the wider sheet of ice made it difficult. But it's no excuse.

It's tough to see this year's seniors go out like this. They have been the most successful graduating class in recent memory. Remember, their freshmen season was the year Austin Smith scored 36 goals! Joe Wilson played on a line with Smith and Chris Wagner that year! Brendan, Brooks, John, Daniel, Joe, and Spiro have all been key contributors to the team. Spiro beat cancer and overcame an injury this season. I agree that I'd love to see him behind the Colgate bench again as a coach

I was going to try to put a wrap on the season from my perspective, but Rainman did such a good job I'll just ditto his thoughts here. Besides, I'm feeling bummed out after getting the bad news about Baun :( Players need to stay the full four years IMHO.

Yes, there is "disappointment" about our season as we didn't reach the Holy Grail. But I cannot but think it was a "successsful" season and a "good" season with 22 wins - especially after looking back at some of the records we've compiled since year 2000. I still don't understand Yale getting into the dance, but it is what it is......backing in is no way to do it!

We just have to be optimistic about next year and see what transpires during the off-season. "Do You Believe In Miracles?"...it just could happen.

TchrBill
03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
The fact that Baun thinks so highly of Colgate and will finish his degree should make us all proud. We have tremendous student-athletes at Colgate. Schools like BC or Minnesota draft multiple players every year, and we're reeling over one! Let's use Baun's departure as another recruiting tool along with our new rink. It's also a testament to Vaughan as being a tremendous coach.

Vaughan recruits well out of Cornwall. A new Kyle will emerge. I think the (healthy) Spink twins have the best in them yet to come. To those going on USCHO hiatus until October, see you then.

Joe McGrath
03-26-2015, 07:10 PM
The fact that Baun thinks so highly of Colgate and will finish his degree should make us all proud. We have tremendous student-athletes at Colgate. Schools like BC or Minnesota draft multiple players every year, and we're reeling over one! Let's use Baun's departure as another recruiting tool along with our new rink. It's also a testament to Vaughan as being a tremendous coach.

Vaughan recruits well out of Cornwall. A new Kyle will emerge. I think the (healthy) Spink twins have the best in them yet to come. To those going on USCHO hiatus until October, see you then.

Exactly. While Baun's departure might "depress" everyone now in the long run it is actually a positive for the program. Here's a young man who came into the program without being drafted and 3 years later through hard work and coaching had numerous NHL teams, I heard as many as 12, bidding for his services.

This will be a definite plus in recruiting

blemberg
03-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Has anyone heard of any assistant coaching rumors??? I assume Don would hire someone sooner rather than later. And, does anyone know where the 3rd Spink is going to play? I see that Tanner Spink wears #13 for Cornwall.

Marmot
03-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Nothing on Tanner Spink committing anywhere but there was an interview in the Utica paper last year where his brothers said they hoped to play with him their senior year . . .

ColSkate65
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
All three teams out of the NCAAs. Maybe the ECAC wasn't quite as potent this year as we thought?

QUAlum2004
03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
All three teams out of the NCAAs. Maybe the ECAC wasn't quite as potent this year as we thought?

Two teams (QU and Yale) lost to #1 seeds with Quinnipiac playing in front of close to 6,000 UND fans with probably 10 QU fans in the house if that. UND to me is also the best team in the tournament. Yale gave everything they had to BU but still couldn't pull it out. Harvard played a really talented UNO squad away from the East. None of the ECAC teams got any breaks due to being 3 and 4 seeds but getting 3 teams in is still impressive.

sshablak
03-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Where is Kyle...don't see him in Blackhawks roster or Rockford(AHL) who played in Utica last night ??

Wicked Slappaahs
03-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Where is Kyle...don't see him in Blackhawks roster or Rockford(AHL) who played in Utica last night ??

He'll burn his first year of his 2 yr entry NHL deal ( the rest of this season) with the Hawks...practicing and he might he might see ice when the Hawks clinch. This is exactly how it played out for FA signees RPIs Haggerty and SLU Carey last season. . Keep in mind the Hawks are deep and also signed UVMs Palliotta - also a big rugged forward and a CHI draft pick.