The Possibility of Expanding The NCAA tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Possibility of Expanding The NCAA tourney

I am sure this has been a topic of discussion before in this forum, however I would like to get some input. Maybe some of you have heard rumors of such an expansion of the current 16 team NCAA bracket. Do you think D-1 hockey could support a larger tournament? In your opinion would it hurt the sport or help the sport? and what number of teams if expanded would you like to see?

Re: The Possibility of Expanding The NCAA tourney

Not expanding... Period.... If anything, it's going back to 12 teams...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

This is so dumb I haven't even heard rumors about this. Think about that for a minute.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by shepmitchell View Post
        I am sure this has been a topic of discussion before in this forum, however I would like to get some input. Maybe some of you have heard rumors of such an expansion of the current 16 team NCAA bracket. Do you think D-1 hockey could support a larger tournament? In your opinion would it hurt the sport or help the sport? and what number of teams if expanded would you like to see?
        The NCAA rules don't allow a sport have more than 25% of their teams make the national tournament. Hockey has an exemption, because we currently have 59 (going to 60 next year). Until the sport adds another dozen schools, more or less, the tournament won't get bigger. And adding that many more schools would be unlikely, I think, even if ASU manages to drag a few more Western schools in.
        Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
        Clarkson 1990

Comment

Never gonna expand.

I also doubt it will contract. A 16-team setup is optimal for locations (5 total, 2 per team in the playoffs), and games per location (3). Also lets all teams play an even number of games (up to 4).
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Never going to happen and it shouldn't for many reasons; One of which that nobody talks about is the nature of the sport. It's even more difficult to predict than the NCAA basketball tournament for a reason. It takes away from what teams did over the course of the regular season to add more teams and one bad bounce and bam, your team is upset. With only one game, it's very difficult to justify any expansion in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

They aim for 25% of the teams making it. It was a stretch to go from 12 to 16; only did it because it was a power of two, i.e. no byes. Call back when college hockey gets to 100 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                The NCAA rules don't allow a sport have more than 25% of their teams make the national tournament. Hockey has an exemption, because we currently have 59 (going to 60 next year). Until the sport adds another dozen schools, more or less, the tournament won't get bigger. And adding that many more schools would be unlikely, I think, even if ASU manages to drag a few more Western schools in.
                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                They aim for 25% of the teams making it. It was a stretch to go from 12 to 16; only did it because it was a power of two, i.e. no byes. Call back when college hockey gets to 100 schools.
                in other words, not in our lifetimes.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  The other reason was to give autobids to the "minor" conferences, so the real effect was to increase from 12 to 14.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                    The other reason was to give autobids to the "minor" conferences, so the real effect was to increase from 12 to 14.
                    At one point in history, conferences received two bids: One for the regular season winner, and one for the playoff winner.

Comment

I think the only way it changes is if it slides back to 8, and the only way that happens is if they give up on regionals and go back to campus sites.

With a couple tweaks (like banning non-1s from hosting regionals), the current system is actually pretty darn good.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We're getting close to 64 schools anyway, so why not just stick with 16.

Comment

Originally posted by shepmitchell View Post
                          This thread was started as a joke, right?

Comment

Want to see some really exciting hockey in the conference tournaments where losing truly means you're done? Then get rid of the at large bids.

It would also end 12 team conferences.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Want to see some really exciting hockey in the conference tournaments where losing truly means you're done? Then get rid of the at large bids.

It would also end 12 team conferences.
                              That's a terrible idea. You'd have RIT in the tournament, but not NoDak?
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X