Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH: What to expect in 2015

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    our Ladies have started slow as well, just as they did last year.....while I'm not one to make excuses, it is only fair to keep in mind that this is just the second year of a totally new system and with due respect to Coach Jones, a new staff....
    Interesting, they just lost to a team of Freshman that have been in their system for a month.

Comment

https://33.media.tumblr.com/cb22ff4a...tiaro2_500.gif
      Last edited by freak; 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM.
      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        Interesting, they just lost to a team of Freshman that have been in their system for a month.
        The difference in that game was superior goaltending for the new team in the conference and weak goaltending at the other end of the ice. The poor goalie for UNH couldn't have been closer to her own goal line on both goals against. If she was at the top of her crease or even a little higher challenging the opponent she might have prevented both goals - the second goal definitely wouldn't have had a chance to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          If she was at the top of her crease or even a little higher challenging the opponent she might have prevented both goals - the second goal definitely wouldn't have had a chance to go in.
          While the goalie could have perhaps done better, the first goal against is on the two D. If two defensemen can't even slow down a single attacker, then why have defensemen. If the goalie comes out further, Voight may have faked and gone backhand and scored anyway.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            While the goalie could have perhaps done better, the first goal against is on the two D. If two defensemen can't even slow down a single attacker, then why have defensemen. If the goalie comes out further, Voight may have faked and gone backhand and scored anyway.
            All that is kind of a given. The goalie is the last line of defense and as such needs to make 3 key saves per game (she made one that prevented it from becoming 3-0). Coming out to cut down the angle is fundamental to that. You never want to give a shooter too much net to see. If you get beat on a deke then so be it but at least you will have done your job in the first place.

Comment

Yes Wilkes both times was caught way to far back in her net but Arm is also right......for me, if you give a goalie the chance to get her game going, she'll play a better game....that was Ashley's first start of the year and she hasn't really had the chance to get her rhythm....same can be said for all the goalies as four games have had 4 goalies start! To Arm's point, he's got the first goal covered....as for the second, I always believe in standing up the player coming in the zone....force her to make the play. If she does, then Mazel Tov but don't just let her dictate the terms of the rush......but that's me. As for Call It's comment, I simply reply with "Hamlen and Bellamy".......nuf said 😉🐶

Comment

Better coaching wasn't the difference in this game although I'd rather play for Coach Hamlen any day of the week. For the most part UNH outplayed Merrimack but I'd give the edge in heart and work ethic to Merrimack. In the end the difference was clearly between the pipes. I'm not sure you can say that's a result of better coaching. A hot / better goalie stole this one.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Better coaching wasn't the difference in this game although I'd rather play for Coach Hamlen any day of the week. For the most part UNH outplayed Merrimack but I'd give the edge in heart and work ethic to Merrimack. In the end the difference was clearly between the pipes. I'm not sure you can say that's a result of better coaching. A hot / better goalie stole this one.
                  I will in no way take away from Merrimack's performance - I saw one of the St. Cloud games, and they impressed me even in a loss with their drive, hustle, and desire, not to mention their puck movement. Yes, their goaltender had a great day, but over the past few years, the Wildcats have been very successful in making the opposing goalie look extraordinary.

UNH did dominate at times, but they have little net presence with clear possession in the O zone, and rarely get second chances, never mind a flurry. True, they are generating a lot of shots, but a lot of them aren't Grade A's, they are breadbasket shots. They squander odd man rushes by either shooting when a pass would have gotten the goaltender moving, or passing when the lead man is almost at the goal line, or when they get jammed, resulting in a turnover or a foot race.

The 'Cats have looked very disjointed this year, and I hope whatever the vision is for a game plan is close to coming into focus. With two tough games this weekend leading into a pretty tough Hockey East run, they can't afford to improve in small increments if they want to be on the ice after February 21.
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Yes Wilkes both times was caught way to far back in her net but Arm is also right......for me, if you give a goalie the chance to get her game going, she'll play a better game....that was Ashley's first start of the year and she hasn't really had the chance to get her rhythm....same can be said for all the goalies as four games have had 4 goalies start! To Arm's point, he's got the first goal covered....as for the second, I always believe in standing up the player coming in the zone....force her to make the play. If she does, then Mazel Tov but don't just let her dictate the terms of the rush......but that's me. As for Call It's comment, I simply reply with "Hamlen and Bellamy".......nuf said ����

I remember Wilkes from a few years back when she was at NAHA...the girl can flat-out play. The team may not be any good but give her a few games and see if I'm not right.

Comment

Heck, just go back to the first round of playoffs last year vs Northeastern.....Vi was hurt so Ashley was called on....if not for Miss Coyne's antics, she would've led UNH to Cape Cod......in other words, she CAN flat out play!

Comment

Well, they weren't shut out.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Two more goals so far today for Curtis. This season would be REALLY ugly without her.
                          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

The one way to make a long road trip shorter is to hit the road with a win.....so while the trip will still be over 3 hours, it should feel like an hour after the Cats earned their first win of the season at UVM, 4-0! It was a nice team win as Vilma shutout the Catamounts, while the defense scored 3 of the goals.....huge congrats go to Carlee Toews, MJ Pelletier, and Kaylee Forster for their career first goals as Wildcats! Captain Carlsen had the other goal......while this is only one win, it shows a young team how good it feels to win.....hopefully it will carry thru the weekend, as BU comes to Lake Whitt on Sunday.......as a side note, I hope that the Wildcat faithful will have a warm welcome for a returning ex-Wildcat in Alexis Crossley, which she richly deserves!

Comment

The one way to make a long road trip shorter is to hit the road with a win.....so while the trip will still be over 3 hours, it should feel like an hour after the Cats earned their first win of the season at UVM, 4-0! It was a nice team win as Vilma shutout the Catamounts, while the defense scored 3 of the goals.....huge congrats go to Carlee Toews, MJ Pelletier, and Kaylee Forster for their career first goals as Wildcats! Captain Carlsen had the other goal......while this is only one win, it shows a young team how good it feels to win.....hopefully it will carry thru the weekend, as BU comes to Lake Whitt on Sunday.......as a side note, I hope that the Wildcat faithful will have a warm welcome for a returning ex-Wildcat in Alexis Crossley, which she richly deserves!
                              Post game adjustment: looks like MJ gets an assist and Devan Taylor the goal on a tip.

Comment

Thanks Hux for the update, but I think for Devan it also is her first career goal as Wildcat! Hopefully many more to come for all....👏👏👏👏

Comment

Working...
                                X