This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    This is incredibly annoying. Everywhere BU goes, the away block of tickets is in a corner, up at the top, etc. At Agganis, the visiting allotment is on the freaking blue line in the middle of the section among season ticket holders and even premium seats. Put them back at the top of freaking 106 or something. In my first year of sitting on the visiting team bench side of the arena, it's really unpleasant to show up and be sitting amongst 100 Michigan fans, or UConn fans, or whoever. It's led to some confrontations in the stands I've seen among other people, and one particularly unsettling interaction for me with a really nasty Northeastern fan. It's not exactly pleasant to pay for a season ticket in a good location then show up and have the section be predominantly opposing fans, some of whom aren't the most friendly people.
    This is because BU can't fill a barn of WWA's size. I think for years JP knew this and didn't want anything bigger, but in the recruitment wars he realized you needed the locker rooms, training, bells and whistles and with that a building that could be paid for.
    Concerts need the size we have now and do much better than the 18 nights BU hockey skates and the embarrassing crowds that come for bball.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: BU 2014-15 season threat III - Jasmine gets to see us 4 more times

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      The story I heard (and that I'm sticking to) is that the general contractor was at fault:

BU wanted the premium seats at the top, but the contractor thought they were at the bottom, along the glass (like the Air Canada Center, I believe). No one bothered to check and only after the seats were being installed was the mistake noticed. In the end BU accepted the contractor's proposal of upgrading all seating with cushions and leaving the wider seats along the glass. In section 103 the first several rows along the glass and behind the visitor bench are wider than the standard seats in most of the arena (I've never double checked the other sections to see if they also have the wider seats along the glass). Those are what all premium seats were supposed to like.

As for the premium seating, it is the upper 4 rows of sections 101, 102, 104, 105, 111, 112, 114, 115 and the upper 6 rows of 103 and 113.

Sean
      I heard a similar story about the ballpark (PacBell?) in which the SF Giants play home games. Only when it was too late, did the Giants realize that the design didn't include bullpens beyond the outfield fences, as mandated by MLB. The Giants needed to obtain a waiver from MLB to have the bullpens along the foul lines. Sounds too crazy to be true, but I've heard this story a couple of times.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        This is incredibly annoying. Everywhere BU goes, the away block of tickets is in a corner, up at the top, etc. At Agganis, the visiting allotment is on the freaking blue line in the middle of the section among season ticket holders and even premium seats. Put them back at the top of freaking 106 or something. In my first year of sitting on the visiting team bench side of the arena, it's really unpleasant to show up and be sitting amongst 100 Michigan fans, or UConn fans, or whoever. It's led to some confrontations in the stands I've seen among other people, and one particularly unsettling interaction for me with a really nasty Northeastern fan. It's not exactly pleasant to pay for a season ticket in a good location then show up and have the section be predominantly opposing fans, some of whom aren't the most friendly people.
        But how do you know who is purchasing a ticket? Unless you are suggesting that premium seats are part of the allotment that BU sends to a visiting teams ticket office? (I can't imagine that is the case.. it seems like the large block of visiting fans is always in 105 and 106).

I would assume that any seat that has not been sold as a season ticket at some point becomes available on ticketmaster or through the box office... in that case there is no way of knowing if the tickets are being sold to a BU fan or opposing fan. How would we ever police this and should we even police it?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          Other benefits are listed as:
          - Pregame meal in club room
          - "VIP" parking
          - Direct elevator from parking to concourse
          - Preferred purchase option for Beanpot and playoff tickets
          - Advanced option to purchase tickets for concerts and other events at Agganis
          - Complimentary souvenirs
          - 20% discount at Barnes and Noble.
          Just to show how out of touch this program is with my segment of the fanbase, alums of the past decade or so:

- Most of us come from work and don't want a pregame meal, and if so, just go to Ts/Sunset.
          - Few of us drive, instead walk/take the T
          - Direct elevator? Wahoo. See above.
          - You can easily get tickets to either of these options through BU or the venue itself
          - Very few appealing events at Agganis for which tickets aren't available, and even still we get presale notices as alums
          - Souvenirs? Some stickers, or cards, or a poster? Ehhh....
          - Alums get a 10% discount already, so this isn't a big plus.

In short, it's just not worth it.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

But how do you know who is purchasing a ticket? Unless you are suggesting that premium seats are part of the allotment that BU sends to a visiting teams ticket office? (I can't imagine that is the case.. it seems like the large block of visiting fans is always in 105 and 106).
            This is exactly what I'm saying, the block of tickets sent to the other team's box office for sale to their fans is primarily in 104. I'm not a premium seat holder, though a few rows behind me are premium seats. Sure, anyone can go on Ticketmaster and buy the seats, but it'd be a lot better for those of us who buy season tickets through BU, premium or not, in a middle section to not be sitting in the middle of the away section.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I would assume that any seat that has not been sold as a season ticket at some point becomes available on ticketmaster or through the box office... in that case there is no way of knowing if the tickets are being sold to a BU fan or opposing fan. How would we ever police this and should we even police it?
              They should have been roped off club seats like you see in the garden (green). Sure you can buy one for the day, but it's not $25, its $125

However.... There is no way that works for a walk up college hockey game.

So they charge the cabin freight and scarlet has to sit with Beavis and Butthead

Comment

This is exactly what I'm saying, the block of tickets sent to the other team's box office for sale to their fans is primarily in 104. I'm not a premium seat holder, though a few rows behind me are premium seats. Sure, anyone can go on Ticketmaster and buy the seats, but it'd be a lot better for those of us who buy season tickets through BU, premium or not, in a middle section to not be sitting in the middle of the away section.
                Do you know that for a fact or taking a guess? The reason I ask is that from sitting on the other side of the arena in 112 it always looks to me as if the biggest concentration visiting fans is in the left side of 105 and the right side side of 106 when looking across at the sections... so unless you somehow know for sure that the primary block they send is in 104, id guess that it is visiting teams fans (who don't purchase through their schools box office) buying empty seats in that section first, because they know they will be closer to the visitors section.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  This is because BU can't fill a barn of WWA's size. I think for years JP knew this and didn't want anything bigger, but in the recruitment wars he realized you needed the locker rooms, training, bells and whistles and with that a building that could be paid for.
                  Concerts need the size we have now and do much better than the 18 nights BU hockey skates and the embarrassing crowds that come for bball.
                  I'm not sure how this relates to the location of the away team ticket allotment. Wouldn't it be advantageous to give tickets that will sell either way to the away fans in a corner section and entice other fans looking online or at the box office to buy single tickets with a better possible seat location? Only in very, very specific circumstances - the overhang at Maine, low side pit at Gutt, can I ever remember myself or anyone I know ever thinking eh, I'm not going to go, that seat location is terrible. Neither of those circumstances apply to the corners at Agganis.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Do you know that for a fact or taking a guess? The reason I ask is that from sitting on the other side of the arena in 112 it always looks to me as if the biggest concentration visiting fans is in the left side of 105 and the right side side of 106 when looking across at the sections... so unless you somehow know for sure that the primary block they send is in 104, id guess that it is visiting teams fans (who don't purchase through their schools box office) buying empty seats in that section first, because they know they will be closer to the visitors section.
                    I have a friend who works in the HAA ticket office, posts here every so often. He's told me that's what they send.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Whitt visitor tix are in the upper corner. Those are the ones we send to the visiting team's box office. If opposing fans purchase through T-master or the Whitt box office they can sit between the blue lines. There were quite a few UCONN fans in sweet seats for the HEA play in round a few weeks back. I've done the same at Tsongas and Matthews where some of the Husky fans were playfully(?) aggressive.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I have a friend who works in the HAA ticket office, posts here every so often. He's told me that's what they send.
                        Interesting.... as mentioned looking at the typical concentration of fans, I would have guessed they were sending the 105/106... but maybe they send all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          The first go-round with the contract was for five years.
                          In the beginning, but I learned that as the opening of HAA got closer they started offering 3 year contracts as well. They also originally offered a seven year contract at a decent discount, but you had to be able and willing to pay for it upfront.

That changed to three for the next renewal and when I renewed again I also did it for three.
                          Renewals were offered for one, two or three years with better discounts the longer the contract. You could also ask for a 5 year contract, but still at the 3 year discount. Last year they offered premium seats at the original varsity level price of $1500 a seat, as long as you also donated $250 to FoH.

What annoys me is not regular season ticket holders sitting in those seats. It's that the arena sells them to opposing teams' fans. I know it's hard to tell when people go online or go up to the ticket window but I thought there was a way to block those rows from being purchased somehow. My friends that had their seats with me did not renew a few years back and they have not sold them yet so it's a crap shoot as to who sits there. I also don't like when they allow SRO people to just sit there after the first 10 minutes when there are several other open seats lower in the bowl.
                          I agree that BU could block out the premium seats from the individual game ticket sales, but as long as anyone can sit anywhere after 10 minutes it really doesn't matter much. Last season (the season before?) BU was selling open premium seats as Scarlet Seats. For $100 you got the seat and a $25 voucher to use on concessions. You also received one parking pass and a gift with each group of tickets you bought.

They've done away with the FOH donation as part of the premium seat. They're also doing away with the buddy seat but what they mean by that is I, as a premium member can't bring in a guest to the Club Room, even if I pay for it. I can keep the regular season ticket or so I've been told and also keep my location. I love my seat location and my name is on the seats so I don't think anyone else should sit there while I still go.
                          The donation to FoH was never in the premium seat contract, but was an informal agreement between BU and Coach Parker that for each seat he would receive $250 at the end of the fiscal year. As mentioned, many premium seat holders stopped donating to FoH directly and it took a financial hit. The original premium seat contract also include a FoH banquet ticket for each seat, which also gave FoH a financial hit, and was dropped from subsequent contracts. BU also wanted to fold FoH into the Premium Seat program, but FoH fought back and in the end BU dropped the idea.

As for bringing a guest into the Club Room, I believe all current contracts allow you to buy a VIP pass for each premium seat "at the sole discretion of the Arena, subject to availability." whether or not you have a FoH companion seat. I've heard that they have had issues with the number of unexpected guests at big games and several options are on the table, including eliminating VIP guest passes.

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-23-2015, 02:24 PM.
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The block of tickets BU sends to a school for the visiting team allotment is totally different than a fan of an opposing team not knowing they can order tickets through their school and just walking up to the Agganis box office or going online to buy. That's what I meant that you can't tell who is purchasing. If they blocked those seats from general public ordering, that would great. I don't spend the money I spend to have a loudmouth BC superfan sit in the seat directly next to me because went online on his own to get a ticket.

And complimentary souvenirs? No, we get a gift. A nice one. This year it was the throwback jersey. They do provide the giveaways that you get when you come in as those of us that take the elevator from the garage don't get them at the turnstiles. I had to politely ask them to make sure we got them. They know now. I have also checked people's tickets that the ushers are supposed to do to make sure the people getting on the elevator are only the ones that are supposed to. Because I'm mean like that.
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 03-23-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Mookie would have had all student in the circle around 108 now. From curve to curve-not split in the two end zones.

Have the other end zone some discount section. Family zone. Squirt / peewee zone. Young cheap alums ($4 tickets if you buy 3 beers ).
                              Visitor sets up high in the two corners in the discount zone.

Do your damdest to move tickets to fill the sides. Deep discount to young alums and staff (more than now).

Mookie also woulda pushed like hell to sign up every alum worldwide for FoH following the 2009 season. Offer $5 dues each of first two years and mail them a car window decal (a good one, not the crap the bookstore bought ). Strike while hot! If BU alums can real are to anything about or school it's hockey (good and unfortunately bad). Have a real program then that works to include the alum and student community.
                              As it is now one could assume all they have going is premium seats to raise money. The survey did away with all FoH levels. Under Jack it felt like you should consider yourself lucky to get a request for money. Shockingly enough it's gotten worse under Quinny

Comment

Interesting.... as mentioned looking at the typical concentration of fans, I would have guessed they were sending the 105/106... but maybe they send all three.
                                In years past they've given them 106, but I remember even over the previous few years they've moved progressively closer to center ice, 105, 104, etc. Look at the highlights of the NU home game, all of their fans are situated in the bottom half of 104, clearly visible on camera. Same for Michigan, UConn, BC, etc. And not randomly strewn about the section, blocks of rows of away fans. So unless they all coordinated buying seats in the exact same place for all of these different games, this is what Agganis is giving their box office.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X