Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Hobey Top-Ten

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._announced.php

Seven forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender are among the 10 finalists for the 2015 Hobey Baker Award, announced today.

Alphabetically, they are: Daniel Ciampini, Union, Jack Eichel, Boston University, Matt Garbowsky, RIT, Zach Hyman, Michigan, Tanner Kero, Michigan Tech, Joey LaLeggia, Denver, Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Mike Reilly, Minnesota, Jimmy Vesey, Harvard, and Cody Wydo, Robert Morris.
    Go Pioneers!

Re: 2015 Hobey Top-Ten

Here's a little background on Matthews Arena where the ceremony will be held. It is the oldest indoor rink still in use in the world (built in 1910). I assume the event will be open to the public but I haven't been able to find anything that confirms this.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ten-plac...-must-see-die/
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Eichel will welcome everyone to come down and see him win.

Mass ave stop off the Orange line (don't flash any valuables in the area
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Seven of the ten still have a chance to reach Boston with their respective teams.

Trivia question; what percentage of Hobey winners are accompanied by their teams at the Frozen Four?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Seven of the ten still have a chance to reach Boston with their respective teams.

Trivia question; what percentage of Hobey winners are accompanied by their teams at the Frozen Four?
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

11/34 didn't = ~32% Therefore 68% of Hobey winners played in the FF.

Hobey Winners didnt play in the Frozen four in: 2012, 2011, 2006, 2003, 1998, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1982

Comment

Don't think there's going to be suspense this year eitheron who wins the award.

Comment

Even though he wouldn't win, Yale's Alex Lyon should have been the goalie chosen.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Here's a link to vote. Second round and you can vote once daily. http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                    Here's a link to vote. Second round and you can vote once daily. http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote
                    The current vote totals are amusing since I don't think they are in any way representative of what the actual order of finish is going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Even though he wouldn't win, Yale's Alex Lyon should have been the goalie chosen.
                      You're cute. Lyon had a record of 17-9-5 or a .629 win percentage, McIntyre put up a record of 27-9-3, .731 win percentage, when 28 of those games were against the conference that got 6 of 8 in the tournament.
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        You're cute. Lyon had a record of 17-9-5 or a .629 win percentage, McIntyre put up a record of 27-9-3, .731 win percentage, when 28 of those games were against the conference that got 6 of 8 in the tournament.
                        Winning percentage is the most useless stat you can throw out there for a goalie. Why don't you take a look at the sv% and gaa of the two......oh wait that shows the other guy with much better numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                          Don't think there's going to be suspense this year eitheron who wins the award.
                          Are you sure? This fellow was voted the best American-born player playing college hockey in New England. Doesn't the guy you were referring to also play in New England?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...ent-ted-donato

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                            Are you sure? This fellow was voted the best American-born player playing college hockey in New England. Doesn't the guy you were referring to also play in New England?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...ent-ted-donato
                            I was a little surprised with this result, but based on my general sense of the Walter Brown award, I am not surprised that an upperclassman won it. Perhaps there is an element of "well we don't want that freshman to take every award this year" at play. Vesey is a great player who has scored some big goals for a tourney team, and who recently hit the 30-goal mark. But as Quinn said, if you asked all 58 herad coaches which player they would take if they could have any one player, it would be unanimous (Quinn didn't use that term, but that was the jist of his comment). And it's not like Eichel has any bad qualities that would push it away. The guy is very humble, always credits his teammates, and has shown that he is very coachable. I can't speak to his performance in the classroom, but I haven't heard of any issues.

Plus, I would not underestimate the perspective that a guy who the Q was drooling over still picked NCAA hockey, and it has all gone swimmingly for him. Winning the Hobey would add to the story and perhaps, just perhaps, could sway future stars to pick the NCAA route.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by NCAAfan500 View Post
                              Winning percentage is the most useless stat you can throw out there for a goalie. Why don't you take a look at the sv% and gaa of the two......oh wait that shows the other guy with much better numbers.
                              And the point I'm making is that his numbers are inflated by playing the 41st toughest schedule, not the 8th. But DESPITE playing the 41st toughest schedule, he still had a worse winning percentage than the guy with the 8th toughest.

Nobody's skirt is blown up when you rack up gaudy #s in a league where the bottom dweller scored 25 goals in 22 conference games and was shut out 7 times and scored 3+ goals once. But Lyon played all 185 minutes against them, so that can't hurt those precious numbers.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X