PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Hobey Top-Ten

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MagnessMan
03-19-2015, 11:35 AM
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/03/19_10_hobey_finalists_announced.php

Seven forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender are among the 10 finalists for the 2015 Hobey Baker Award, announced today.

Alphabetically, they are: Daniel Ciampini, Union, Jack Eichel, Boston University, Matt Garbowsky, RIT, Zach Hyman, Michigan, Tanner Kero, Michigan Tech, Joey LaLeggia, Denver, Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Mike Reilly, Minnesota, Jimmy Vesey, Harvard, and Cody Wydo, Robert Morris.

MagnessMan
03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Here's a little background on Matthews Arena where the ceremony will be held. It is the oldest indoor rink still in use in the world (built in 1910). I assume the event will be open to the public but I haven't been able to find anything that confirms this.

http://thehockeywriters.com/ten-places-every-hockey-fan-must-see-die/

mookie1995
03-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Eichel will welcome everyone to come down and see him win.

Mass ave stop off the Orange line (don't flash any valuables in the area :eek:

Snively65
03-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Seven of the ten still have a chance to reach Boston with their respective teams.

Trivia question; what percentage of Hobey winners are accompanied by their teams at the Frozen Four?

MagnessMan
03-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Seven of the ten still have a chance to reach Boston with their respective teams.

Trivia question; what percentage of Hobey winners are accompanied by their teams at the Frozen Four?

scarlet_sox
03-24-2015, 03:23 AM
11/34 didn't = ~32% Therefore 68% of Hobey winners played in the FF.

Hobey Winners didnt play in the Frozen four in: 2012, 2011, 2006, 2003, 1998, 1996, 1994, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1982

Riz
03-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Don't think there's going to be suspense this year eitheron who wins the award.

LTsatch
03-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Even though he wouldn't win, Yale's Alex Lyon should have been the goalie chosen.

MagnessMan
03-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Here's a link to vote. Second round and you can vote once daily. http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

Red Cows
03-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Here's a link to vote. Second round and you can vote once daily. http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

The current vote totals are amusing since I don't think they are in any way representative of what the actual order of finish is going to be.

SCSU Euro
03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Even though he wouldn't win, Yale's Alex Lyon should have been the goalie chosen.

You're cute. Lyon had a record of 17-9-5 or a .629 win percentage, McIntyre put up a record of 27-9-3, .731 win percentage, when 28 of those games were against the conference that got 6 of 8 in the tournament.

NCAAfan500
03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
You're cute. Lyon had a record of 17-9-5 or a .629 win percentage, McIntyre put up a record of 27-9-3, .731 win percentage, when 28 of those games were against the conference that got 6 of 8 in the tournament.Winning percentage is the most useless stat you can throw out there for a goalie. Why don't you take a look at the sv% and gaa of the two......oh wait that shows the other guy with much better numbers.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Don't think there's going to be suspense this year eitheron who wins the award.
Are you sure? This fellow was voted the best American-born player playing college hockey in New England. Doesn't the guy you were referring to also play in New England?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/3/24/8282843/jimmy-vesey-harvard-63rd-annual-walter-brown-award-ecac-hockey-ncaa-tournament-ted-donato

defkit
03-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Are you sure? This fellow was voted the best American-born player playing college hockey in New England. Doesn't the guy you were referring to also play in New England?

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/3/24/8282843/jimmy-vesey-harvard-63rd-annual-walter-brown-award-ecac-hockey-ncaa-tournament-ted-donato

I was a little surprised with this result, but based on my general sense of the Walter Brown award, I am not surprised that an upperclassman won it. Perhaps there is an element of "well we don't want that freshman to take every award this year" at play. Vesey is a great player who has scored some big goals for a tourney team, and who recently hit the 30-goal mark. But as Quinn said, if you asked all 58 herad coaches which player they would take if they could have any one player, it would be unanimous (Quinn didn't use that term, but that was the jist of his comment). And it's not like Eichel has any bad qualities that would push it away. The guy is very humble, always credits his teammates, and has shown that he is very coachable. I can't speak to his performance in the classroom, but I haven't heard of any issues.

Plus, I would not underestimate the perspective that a guy who the Q was drooling over still picked NCAA hockey, and it has all gone swimmingly for him. Winning the Hobey would add to the story and perhaps, just perhaps, could sway future stars to pick the NCAA route.

SCSU Euro
03-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Winning percentage is the most useless stat you can throw out there for a goalie. Why don't you take a look at the sv% and gaa of the two......oh wait that shows the other guy with much better numbers.

And the point I'm making is that his numbers are inflated by playing the 41st toughest schedule, not the 8th. But DESPITE playing the 41st toughest schedule, he still had a worse winning percentage than the guy with the 8th toughest.

Nobody's skirt is blown up when you rack up gaudy #s in a league where the bottom dweller scored 25 goals in 22 conference games and was shut out 7 times and scored 3+ goals once. But Lyon played all 185 minutes against them, so that can't hurt those precious numbers.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Lyon's contribution is most evident in the team defense ranking of #1, yielding just 1.58 goals per game, and his D1 leading save percentage. His (and thus Yale's) winning percentage is a function of that stellar defense in combination with the team's quite mediocre offense ranking of #38, 2.62 goals per game. Without him in goal, this team would be watching the NCAA tournament on TV.

LTsatch
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
And the point I'm making is that his numbers are inflated by playing the 41st toughest schedule, not the 8th. But DESPITE playing the 41st toughest schedule, he still had a worse winning percentage than the guy with the 8th toughest.

Nobody's skirt is blown up when you rack up gaudy #s in a league where the bottom dweller scored 25 goals in 22 conference games and was shut out 7 times and scored 3+ goals once. But Lyon played all 185 minutes against them, so that can't hurt those precious numbers.

If I'm cute, you must be adorable! So I guess leading the country in shutouts while playing 8 less games than your stud should be ignored as well. Watch Friday, hopefully he stands on his head. Again.

Biddco
03-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Maybe Vesey will win since he won New England's Best Player award over Eichel.

brassbonanza
03-25-2015, 11:32 PM

The same body that awarded that (A group dedicated to football, but I digress) also neglected to look up that Colin Wilson was born in New England and did not even nominate him in 2009. That should tell you all you need to know about The Gridiron Club's validity as an awarding body.

MagnessMan
03-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Glad to see that the thread has heated up a bit. Nothing like some good East v West tensions the week of regionals to get everyone's blood pumping.