X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Hobey Top-Ten

Ha.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I can't say I've seen much BU hockey as well. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player.
      I can't say I've seen too many of your posts. But I'd say it's fairly likely you should've just stopped here. Not sure how you can denote someone you admittedly have barely seen as "very likely" a one-dimensional player.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        I can't say I've seen too many of your posts. But I'd say it's fairly likely you should've just stopped here. Not sure how you can denote someone you admittedly have barely seen as "very likely" a one-dimensional player.
        I posted a similar response on the "Gopher" thread. My Dad would always say, "Consider the source."

Comment

Eichel may be the best college freshman you've seen since Kariya, but we saw a much better forward in Boston just twelve months ago.
          Am I taking Eichel's age/year into consideration when I say I think he is the best player? Sure. Eichel vs Gaudreau at the same age would not be close. And even if you want to argue Gaudreau was better last year than Eichel this year, I would suspect it would be much closer than "much better".
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I can't say I've seen much BU hockey as well. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player. He can score. No knock against him, because scoring in hockey is critical. Very few freshman play 200 foot games. That's why it doesn't surprise me that Vesey got the Walter Brown.
            I saw Eichel in person three times this year and really is as ridiculously good as the hype. I can't believe how fast the kid is and the plays he makes on top of his speed. Ridiculous passing ability. I was obviously paying the most attention in the Hockey East championship game against my Lowell team, and he was making defensive plays deep in the zone, so saying he can't play 200 feet is a ridiculous premise at best. He can single-handedly change a game in seconds.

I thought Johnny Gaudreau was the most ridiculous hockey player I'd ever seen in person, and one season later Eichel totally blew me away.

Comment

I can't say I've seen much BU hockey as well. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player. He can score. No knock against him, because scoring in hockey is critical. Very few freshman play 200 foot games. That's why it doesn't surprise me that Vesey got the Walter Brown.

At the end of the day, we always seem to have top scoring forwards getting the Hobey...with an occasional shut down D sprinkled in. Frankly, we haven't had a D of any type for awhile. Not since Gilroy. As an unbiased observer, I think its got to be Mike Reilly. He integrates with forwards like nobody's business, can instantly make the game 200 feet, and play very advanced D as needed (a serious upgrade to his game from LY). But if scoring is your thing, he's not only the top scoring D in the nation, but he's the top scoring player on a team with the most prolific senior class in hockey (and he's put up more points than Hobey winner Gilroy). You've got to go back 3 years to find a defenseman putting up the points (and four years if Reilly comes up with 2 more). Eichel? Go back to last year and you'll find someone who was several times the Hobey forward. No offense, but Eichel doesn't deserve the Hobey.
              You forgot to take out the "un" before biased. You think a Gopher should win the Hobey and your sig says, "Go Gophers!" And you also realize BU is in your team's regional, right? Wait a second, is this another USCHO inside joke that I don't get? Or is this just tArrogance I keep hearing about? These are both serious questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Ranger View Post
                You forgot to take out the "un" before biased. You think a Gopher should win the Hobey and your sig says, "Go Gophers!" And you also realize BU is in your team's regional, right? Wait a second, is this another USCHO inside joke that I don't get? Or is this just tArrogance I keep hearing about? These are both serious questions.
                Thanks for keeping me honest.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Am I taking Eichel's age/year into consideration when I say I think he is the best player? Sure. Eichel vs Gaudreau at the same age would not be close. And even if you want to argue Gaudreau was better last year than Eichel this year, I would suspect it would be much closer than "much better".
                  Vesey represented 26% of Harvard's pts while Eichel was good for 18% of BUs. The data can make a compelling case for Vesey. Eichel of course has the hype machine.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    Vesey represented 26% of Harvard's pts while Eichel was good for 18% of BUs. The data can make a compelling case for Vesey. Eichel of course has the hype machine.
                    A player shouldn't be penalized for having better teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      That's why there is a thread like this. Hard to separate out how much of a player's ability is based on teammates, and how much of the teammates ability is based on playing next to said player......?

By the way, I don't remember watching Bobby Orr in his prime, but I suspect he wasn't great on faceoffs so was overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                        By that same thought, should a player not be penalized for having worse teammates, or playing in a weak conference?

I only saw 1 BU game this year and while Eichel was fast, I wasn't that impressed with him. Maybe he was having an off night, or maybe it was so early in the season that he hadn't hit his stride yet.

I'm admittedly biased, so I think Zach Hyman should win. 4 year senior, team leader, had an amazing year, 2 way player, great student, children's book author (because, obviously, the most succesful author should win the Hobey Baker).
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

I can't say I've seen much BU hockey as well. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player
                          Do you have literally anything to base this on?

I will grant that he doesn't usually have to play much defense since when he's on the ice, his team is usually camped out in the offensive zone dominating play. But "someone is good at offense" does not imply that they are not good defensively. Saying as much with 0 evidence to support it makes you look silly.

I would laugh for weeks if Eichel didn't win the Hobey because BU fans would have a meltdown, but let's be real: it's a slam dunk. Eichel should absolutely, 100% win the Hobey. He has been absurdly dominant and has been the by far #1 reason why his team - which was horrible last year - is one of the 2 or 3 best in the entire country right now. #1 in assists, #5 in goals, #1 in points per game, #1 in power play points, #1 in plus/minus, and hell, FWIW, he's blocked more shots than Vesey and Hyman, too. If someone else wins, it's because a lot of voters will have spent far too much time trying to convince themselves of reason why someone else should win just for the sake of it.
                          Last edited by joegrav; 03-27-2015, 09:18 AM.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post

I would laugh for weeks if Eichel didn't win the Hobey because BU fans would have a meltdown, but let's be real: it's a slam dunk. Eichel should absolutely, 100% win the Hobey. He has been absurdly dominant and has been the by far #1 reason why his team - which was horrible last year - is one of the 2 or 3 best in the entire country right now. #1 in assists, #5 in goals, #1 in points per game, #1 in power play points, #1 in plus/minus, and hell, FWIW, he's blocked more shots than Vesey and Hyman, too. If someone else wins, it's because a lot of voters will have spent far too much time trying to convince themselves of reason why someone else should win just for the sake of it.
                            +1
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

At the end of the day, we always seem to have top scoring forwards getting the Hobey...with an occasional shut down D sprinkled in. Frankly, we haven't had a D of any type for awhile. Not since Gilroy. As an unbiased observer, I think its got to be Mike Reilly. He integrates with forwards like nobody's business, can instantly make the game 200 feet, and play very advanced D as needed (a serious upgrade to his game from LY). But if scoring is your thing, he's not only the top scoring D in the nation, but he's the top scoring player on a team with the most prolific senior class in hockey (and he's put up more points than Hobey winner Gilroy). You've got to go back 3 years to find a defenseman putting up the points (and four years if Reilly comes up with 2 more). Eichel? Go back to last year and you'll find someone who was several times the Hobey forward. No offense, but Eichel doesn't deserve the Hobey.
                              Reilly scored a heck of a goal there in the first period... On his own goalie.
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                                Do you have literally anything to base this on?

I will grant that he doesn't usually have to play much defense since when he's on the ice, his team is usually camped out in the offensive zone dominating play. But "someone is good at offense" does not imply that they are not good defensively. Saying as much with 0 evidence to support it makes you look silly.

we will just expect him to win it next season
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X