X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Rumor has it a wrecking ball is finally headed for the Lower Quad. Afraid to see what kind of monstrosity they put there.
    There's a boatload of new construction / renovation about to get underway on the UNH campus, much of it in line with the most recent Master Plan (2012) that's viewable in its entirety on the UNH website. Capital projects that will be getting underway soon are summarized here: [http://www.unh.edu/facilities/unh-ca...s-fy-2015-2020] with full-color renderings, and include: renovation (and a new addition) to Hamilton Smith Hall; expansion of Holloway Commons; a 2-story addition to the Hamel Rec Center (formerly Snively Arena) that will replace much of the existing WPA-era outdoor pool (which will itself be rebuilt in the reduced footprint between the the new HRC addition and the Alumni Center); along with the ongoing expansion / rebuild of Cowell Stadium. Demolition of the three Lower Quad dorms is not part of the *current* construction schedule, but is included as part of several options under consideration for a new Center for the Arts to (eventually) supplant existing PCAC. Engelhardt (nearest lot C) would be demolished first as part of Phase I, followed later by Hunter and Gibbs (my old undergraduate dorm) in later phased expansion(s). Maps and renderings are available here: [http://www.unh.edu/sites/www.unh.edu...orumslides.pdf] ... Comments from concerned townies here: [http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll..._01/150229527/] ...

Wondering what's going to happen on the ATO site. The old Kappa Sig site (new dining hall) was definitely WAY out of scale.
    The ATO site is NOT part of the UNH campus, and is wholly within the Town of Durham; any new construction there will have to meet Town building specs. IMHO Holloway Commons is indeed much too large for its location; when it was all but complete and I first crested the hill coming into town - and saw that it completely blocked the view of T-Hall - I cried a little inside. I doubt this would've been allowed to happen under the leadership of the former Head of Facilities Planning, but when Victor Aziz retired much of his admired (at least by me) notions re: architectural design in harmony with the campus as a whole (see, for example, the Dimond Library expansion, renovations to Conant and Murkland Halls, renovation / expansion of James Hall, replacement of DeMerritt Hall, etc. planned under his watch) were seemingly retired along with him ...

The shocker for me this last time up were the new apartments on 155A. Those went up in about as long as it took me to type this, I think.
    I haven't seen those personally yet, but I've heard some grumblings from old friends who still live close by. Time marches on, I guess, but it's a shame that so much of the small-town Durham feel is seemingly being lost ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      IF UNH gets by BU then UML is toastl Sorry, I know you love UML!! Actually, I've got UVM over UML! SOG is irrelevant at this point!
      Ha, ha, ha, e.cat! So, then the Terriers would end up a 2 seed in Manchvegas, so we would need to beat them a third time, but not need to face them in the FF. Too funny!

Comment

Re: Prediction time

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        IF UNH gets by BU then UML is toastl Sorry, I know you love UML!! Actually, I've got UVM over UML! SOG is irrelevant at this point!
        I wasn't referring to the on going debate on this thread. Even if playing our best D of the year, to beat BU Tirone will have to make a (((lot))) of saves, many will have to be high quality.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          I wasn't referring to the on going debate on this thread. Even if playing our best D of the year, to beat BU Tirone will have to make a (((lot))) of saves, many will have to be high quality.
          And without flopping!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
            And without flopping!
            or leaving the crease for extended romps. Regan-esque heart palpitations.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Ha, ha, ha, e.cat! So, then the Terriers would end up a 2 seed in Manchvegas, so we would need to beat them a third time, but not need to face them in the FF. Too funny!

We're in it to win it baby;-)
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                True, which means BU will have a lot of SOG;-) Which as we all know is irrelevant at this point!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

"UNH Eliminates Providence, Advances to Hockey East Semifinals"
                  Includes video review of goals and key plays.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                    There's a boatload of new construction / renovation about to get underway on the UNH campus, much of it in line with the most recent Master Plan (2012) that's viewable in its entirety on the UNH website. Capital projects that will be getting underway soon are summarized here: [http://www.unh.edu/facilities/unh-ca...s-fy-2015-2020] with full-color renderings, and include: renovation (and a new addition) to Hamilton Smith Hall; expansion of Holloway Commons; a 2-story addition to the Hamel Rec Center (formerly Snively Arena) that will replace much of the existing WPA-era outdoor pool (which will itself be rebuilt in the reduced footprint between the the new HRC addition and the Alumni Center); along with the ongoing expansion / rebuild of Cowell Stadium. Demolition of the three Lower Quad dorms is not part of the *current* construction schedule, but is included as part of several options under consideration for a new Center for the Arts to (eventually) supplant existing PCAC. Engelhardt (nearest lot C) would be demolished first as part of Phase I, followed later by Hunter and Gibbs (my old undergraduate dorm) in later phased expansion(s). Maps and renderings are available here: [http://www.unh.edu/sites/www.unh.edu...orumslides.pdf] ... Comments from concerned townies here: [http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll..._01/150229527/] ...

The ATO site is NOT part of the UNH campus, and is wholly within the Town of Durham; any new construction there will have to meet Town building specs. IMHO Holloway Commons is indeed much too large for its location; when it was all but complete and I first crested the hill coming into town - and saw that it completely blocked the view of T-Hall - I cried a little inside. I doubt this would've been allowed to happen under the leadership of the former Head of Facilities Planning, but when Victor Aziz retired much of his admired (at least by me) notions re: architectural design in harmony with the campus as a whole (see, for example, the Dimond Library expansion, renovations to Conant and Murkland Halls, renovation / expansion of James Hall, replacement of DeMerritt Hall, etc. planned under his watch) were seemingly retired along with him ...

I haven't seen those personally yet, but I've heard some grumblings from old friends who still live close by. Time marches on, I guess, but it's a shame that so much of the small-town Durham feel is seemingly being lost ...

Actually UNH did purchase the ATO site and took it down (http://www.unh.edu/news/releases/201...provements.cfm). The plan is to use the space in conjunction with the town. Rumors are hotel and conference center but nothing has been decided yet.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      "UNH Eliminates Providence, Advances to Hockey East Semifinals"
                      Includes video review of goals and key plays.
                      Love the final moments after the celly starts and Jon G slowly skates by the huddle...priceless! Have tons of respect for him of course and know he will have a great NHL career in front of him but that...was worth the price of admission. Awesome overview of the weekend Mike thanks so much!!

The boys have arrived in Boston and are getting ready to put it all on the line. Yea the task is huge but we (or at least I will) will look back on this season and say it was a success. Floppy goalie and all ☺️the 'Cats are playing great hockey and who knows... Go 'Cats!!!
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-19-2015, 02:36 PM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Listening to all the talk about how Durham construction has/is ruining the " feel of Old Durham"......take a drive around Portsmouth and you'll see the destruction of " the old Portsmouth"!!
                        Progress, so they say.....
                        And I'll back the thought that first and foremost, Lake Whitt must get a video board!!!! Greg, remember when the Friends walked thru the Whitt construction, and when asked about what plans were there for a 4 sided video board, we were told that it would follow the next year after construction! I know that next year when UNH hosts the women's FF, it'll be embarassing to have the western teams visit, when they can build separate facilities, and I'm talking whole arenas here, for their women's programs! C'mon man......

Comment

Welp here we go it's game day folks!!! The absolute test of where we have been, where we are, and, where we will be next! Good luck 'Cats!!!! Hoping to catch up with those of you going at some point...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Welp here we go it's game day folks!!! The absolute test of where we have been, where we are, and, where we will be next! Good luck 'Cats!!!! Hoping to catch up with those of you going at some point...
                            I do not do texts, so please send me am email with a heads up about our between period rendezvous, Ref.

So glad that we did not need to revive our version of the Fire Mike Eaves thread this year. Hire Umile!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                              Listening to all the talk about how Durham construction has/is ruining the " feel of Old Durham"......take a drive around Portsmouth and you'll see the destruction of " the old Portsmouth"!!
                              Progress, so they say.....
                              I'm ambivalent about what's going on in Durham recently. There's always been a student housing shortage at UNH, so it was inevitable that eventually someone would do something to address it. I'll reserve judgment until I see the finished items. But regardless of what goes up ... it will take some doing to come up with anything remotely approaching Stoke Hall in the "this just doesn't fit" category.

As for Portsmouth ... what's gone up in the last decade or so has either replaced largely vacant lots, and more recently Portwalk has replaced the ugliest, least used "mall" in the history of mankind (my wife used to work in a business office that occupied 80% of the so-called "Parade Mall" when it finally closed), and what's on the books across the street is renovation work to another office building, AND another project(s) being built in a vacant parcel near the Mill Pond. With the rapid commercial development on the Seacoast over the last generation, the Portsmouth-Pease-UNH synergy (did I just use that word? ) has driven most of that development ... yet most of the older historic buildings around Portsmouth are still standing. Even the long-awaited new parking garage is set for the edge of town near the old rail terminus. I think Portsmouth is doing just fine, given the totality of the circumstances.

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                              And I'll back the thought that first and foremost, Lake Whitt must get a video board!!!! Greg, remember when the Friends walked thru the Whitt construction, and when asked about what plans were there for a 4 sided video board, we were told that it would follow the next year after construction! I know that next year when UNH hosts the women's FF, it'll be embarassing to have the western teams visit, when they can build separate facilities, and I'm talking whole arenas here, for their women's programs! C'mon man......
                              I feel like "UNH Contrarian of the Year" today, but although a video board would be nice, I can live without it.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                So glad that we did not need to revive our version of the Fire Mike Eaves thread this year. Hire Umile!
                                Fair weather fan! (I'm just teasing...) Let's see what you are saying by Sunday...

Comment

Working...
                                X