PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51

Hokydad
06-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I love the people on here clamoring for a coach with experience as head coach. Imagine if Maine insisted on a coach with HC experience when it hired Shawn Walsh or Union insisting on one when it hired Nate Leaman? Sure, if a Nate Leaman is out there at a ECAC Hockey school, he could be great hire at UNH…

However, I also think there are some good young assistants who would bring a ton of energy and do an outstanding job… Jerry Keefe, Billy Riga, Steve Greeley, Albie O'Connell, Greg Brown, Joe Dumais, Ben Barr, etc. come to mind.

Ben Guite Is an up and comer

HockeyRef
06-10-2015, 05:52 PM
UNH will play at Union College on October 24th:

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2015/06/dutchmen-to-open-season-on-oct-9.html?m=1

Road trip!!

wildcatdc
06-10-2015, 05:55 PM
I am obviously not Greg, but I have thought for the past couple of years that the assistant AHA coach in Bridgeport would make a good successor to Umile. The guy was one of my all-time fav players at UNH and had a couple of good seasons in the NHL,

You had me confused with the combo of AHA and Bridgeport - your Bentley blood is betraying you! Once I figured it out, I like that idea. Was a Boguniecki fan as well.

Chuck Murray
06-10-2015, 06:36 PM
I love the people on here clamoring for a coach with experience as head coach. Imagine if Maine insisted on a coach with HC experience when it hired Shawn Walsh or Union insisting on one when it hired Nate Leaman?

... or for that matter if UNH had insisted on it when they hired Dick Umile - previous HC experience only at the HS level, although with Coach Kullen's precarious health situation, Coach Umile did have kind of a "head start" in the UNH job before it was officially his.

To be fair to the poster(s) who raised the issue though, let's be fair - there was not "clamoring" on this issue - there was only revisiting of what BS35+2 had said would be his process if/when he were in position to hire Coach Umile's replacement. And that was in the context of claims on Twitter that Coach Souza had basically been designated the "successor in waiting" (AND was Umile's nephew) as part of the hire. Some of us found (and continue to find) the accuracy of these reports questionable - at least until proven otherwise.

As far as hoky's suggestion of Ben Guite ... I have no doubt he's an "up and comer", but once upon a time he was on my $h!t list for something he did/said against UNH (forget the details over the passage of time), and he is definitely from the Walshy coaching tree. For those reasons alone, WIS cannot endorse his candidacy for the UNH job - whatever job - whenever it might become available. Sorry.

NCAA watcher
06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
As far as hoky's suggestion of Ben Guite ... I have no doubt he's an "up and comer", but once upon a time he was on my $h!t list for something he did/said against UNH (forget the details over the passage of time), and he is definitely from the Walshy coaching tree. For those reasons alone, WIS cannot endorse his candidacy for the UNH job - whatever job - whenever it might become available. Sorry.

Agree. Nearly paralyzing Mark Mowers with a charge right in our corner of the rink. Knocked out an taken off ice on backboard.

e.cat
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM

I third that motion. No need to even bring it to a vote, assuming WIS Nation is a democracy of course?!!?? Hoky obviously isn't aware of important UNH factoids. TVR just got props from Eddie Olczyk and Doc Emerick. Love it!

Dan
06-10-2015, 07:38 PM

Ben Guite is a thug who almost killed Mark Mowers!

EDIT: Should have finished the thread first - I stand with the rest of you...

Hokydad
06-10-2015, 07:41 PM
And will be a head coach before almost every single person mentioned, and a high profile program

Hokydad
06-10-2015, 07:54 PM
I'd wait to see how that uninspiring recruit list shapes up before calling him an up and comer. Other than Wahlstrom and the two Newfies who may never show up the classes are lacking skill.

Opinions vary there
I think they are building a fantastic pipeline. Almond will be a tough road win

e.cat
06-10-2015, 08:04 PM
EFFINGWOODS (WIS) - Inspired by real-life events taking place in the shadowy underworld known as Hockey East ... WIS Productions in tandem with the mind of N. Don Shamalamadingdong, proudly present this Summer's must-see blockbuster, coming soon to obscure Croatian-language cable TV outlets virtually dotted across the backwaters of North America ...

An obscure well-traveled assistant coach finally lands a coveted job with his alma mater ... but a vindictive former boss, his willing media accomplice, and the emergence of strange crop circles deep within Breakheart Reservation combine to lead to the discovery of a family mystery protected by a secret hockey society for two decades - which could shake the foundations of human civilization (not to mention UNH Men's Hockey). :eek: Starring Joe Pesce and Coach Dick Umile, Ray Liotta as Coach Mike Souza, Sean Penn as Coach Luce Canaan, Jack Nicholson as Commish Bertagna, and Marty "Peaches" Scarano as himself in a riveting cameo ... be the first (and likely only) kid on your block to catch the unforgettable and regrettable epic that is ...

The Umile Code

Rated I for Immature audiences

Breaking news; Caitlyn B. Jenner from the Broken Crank Reservation has courageously accepted a leadership role in getting this off the ground. His/her kids must be very proud!!

HockeyRef
06-10-2015, 08:07 PM

Where does this non fav candidate coach now? Suppose I could look it up... Fosters Daily Dem posted the story today pretty much using the Courant info...called Souza the "eventual" replacement for a coach U...

Oh....UMaine. ''nuff said 😚

Snively65
06-10-2015, 08:12 PM
You had me confused with the combo of AHA and Bridgeport - your Bentley blood is betraying you! Once I figured it out, I like that idea. Was a Boguniecki fan as well.

Oops, sorry about the confusion; yes, AHL. He scored the final goal in Snively, right?

Hoping that TvR gets more ice time in the second and third; Duncan Keith played almost 11 minutes in the first; yikes! Do or die for the Blackhawks. I am watching in a bar with no sound, so missing the commentary. On the other screen, the Sox continue to dig their hole deeper.

HockeyRef
06-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Oops, sorry about the confusion; yes, AHL. He scored the final goal in Snively, right?

Hoping that TvR gets more ice time in the second and third; Duncan Keith played almost 11 minutes in the first; yikes! Do or die for the Blackhawks. I am watching in a bar with no sound, so missing the commentary. On the other screen, the Sox continue to dig their hole deeper.

Hawks are playing so tentative and look stiff... Shoot the puck!!! Well here we go 2nd.

Chuck Murray
06-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Correct-amundo, against BC in double OT in the '94 HE quarterfinals. Assisted nicely by Timmy Murray, who got a name check on here from my pop the other night. It would also be the last-ever game for BC head coach Steve "Count" Cedorchuck, who was at the center of some of my favorite years in BC Men's Hockey's long and illustrious history. If only he could have stayed on board a few more years (decades even) ...

boblav1
06-10-2015, 10:40 PM
It's not a foregone conclusion that Ryczek will commit to Providence. But even if he does, there will be several reasons that his parents and he believe it's a good fit for him.

From twitter:

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver
'98 Sioux City d-man Jake Ryczek on campus at Providence College today, I hear. Decommitted from @UNHHockey last week.

Snively65
06-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Correct-amundo, against BC in double OT in the '94 HE quarterfinals. Assisted nicely by Timmy Murray, who got a name check on here from my pop the other night. It would also be the last-ever game for BC head coach Steve "Count" Cedorchuck, who was at the center of some of my favorite years in BC Men's Hockey's long and illustrious history. If only he could have stayed on board a few more years (decades even) ...

I loved many of those 30 Snively years, although I missed a lot of games between 1972 and 1981 when I was far away.

So, Red Berenson just completed his 31st season as head coach of the Wolverines, after 19 seasons in the NHL, along with other post-college experience (he is 75 now). What other current Div 1 coaches have significant experience playing at the pro level, say at least equivalent of a full season in the NHL, such as Eric Boguniecki has? It seems to me that recruits might be impressed by that pro experience in a head coach, especially for the top end kids who see a career in hockey as a worthy goal, too.

bomberhockey
06-11-2015, 04:42 AM
And who said he's HC in waiting? Is this speculation?
Where's that leave Stewie? Probably took a pay cut to come here. Wonder how much Marty had juggle the books to get Souza? Does this move UNH out of second to last and last place for assistant coaches?

HockeyRef
06-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Where's that leave Stewie? Probably took a pay cut to come here. Wonder how much Marty had juggle the books to get Souza? Does this move UNH out of second to last and last place for assistant coaches?

You got me! With so much talk yesterday that Souza is the 'heir apparent' one has to wonder. Like most here I'm curious how UNH will deal with all of that scuttlebutt. Im doubting they will. At least one thing we know for sure is that Mike Souza is NOT...Dick Umile's nephew. Whew. Glad we got that cleared up..:p bet Umile got a kick out of that one!

Snively65
06-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Hawks are playing so tentative and look stiff... Shoot the puck!!! Well here we go 2nd.

The top four D-men for the Blackhawks understandably looked really tired toward the end of their win last night, with Timonen and TvR getting less than 5 and 7 minutes of ice time. Timonen did take a 2-minor and TvR was on the ice for the Lightning lone goal. But, now they get nearly three days rest before starting over again in Florida on Saturday night. What a fantastic experience for our TvR.

Greg A
06-11-2015, 09:55 AM
... or for that matter if UNH had insisted on it when they hired Dick Umile - previous HC experience only at the HS level, although with Coach Kullen's precarious health situation, Coach Umile did have kind of a "head start" in the UNH job before it was officially his.

To be fair to the poster(s) who raised the issue though, let's be fair - there was not "clamoring" on this issue - there was only revisiting of what BS35+2 had said would be his process if/when he were in position to hire Coach Umile's replacement. And that was in the context of claims on Twitter that Coach Souza had basically been designated the "successor in waiting" (AND was Umile's nephew) as part of the hire. Some of us found (and continue to find) the accuracy of these reports questionable - at least until proven otherwise.

Because UNH didn't hire a D! head coach after Kullen passed that is a proper analogy for now? Does anybody remember what a low profile UNH Hockey had in the late 80's. Between Charlie Holt's last year as coach and the three years Kullen was at the helm before passing, their record was 49-88-9. They finished dead last in Hockey East in the first three years of the league. Would any D1 coach in his right mind have taken the job, especially at the kind of money that UNH would be offering and with the kind of facilities the school offered back then? At the time UNH was fortunate to bring in 2 or 3 assistants who began to right ship after it strayed drastically off course. Umile happened to be the right person at the right time and, I think we all agree, he took advantage of his opportunity.

Today, things are a heck of a lot different. UNH's national profile, while not exalted as it was 10-15 years ago, is a lot better than it was 25 years ago. On top of that, we have a decent size arena and good off ice facilities compared to back then. Marty Scarano is the one who said he would only hire a coach with prior D1 experience. He told me that some 10-12 years ago and, I suppose, outlooks can change over time. But has UNH fallen that far off the map hockey wise that the thought of fulfilling that promise is so much no longer valid that we are left hiring someone, albeit a UNH grad, a decent person and presumably, a hard worker, with a resume like Souza's?

Given what I think are logical questions, I have to say that the more I have thought about this the last couple of days (and, believe me, it has not been on mind constantly. I am no longer that obsessive), I am beginning to think the rumors will turn out to be true. My thinking is that, if it was a straight deal of moving from UConn to UNH with no other caveats, then the announcement would have been made last week. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe that the two sides are ironing out the kinks for a long term deal, for both Umile and Souza. Still mind boggling to me, but I have this gut feeling that it is going to happen.