X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    OK one more... we hit Sully's and Halftime before and after just about every C's game. When we beat the Lakers in '84 me and my half dozen to 15,000+ friends, were partying in the streets. Guys I knew who didn't have tickets or go to the game were there. No fires, trashed cop cars, just frivolity. Whenever we needed a beer we'd walk into Sully's and order "12 Buds, 12 Bud Lights", they'd hand us a case and out the door we'd walk.

BTW, had I run into a plastered Cash back then, my instinct would have been to steer clear.
    Without a doubt. And Frosty was Orr's baby sitter in Bobby's rookie year. They lived in a house overlooking the beach in Nahant. Bobby is the same age as me and I heard more than one story of girls being invited to parties there. In his autobiography he alludes to this a bit but not much.

Comment

The best old renovated I've been in is Yost.

Turning back to the present, does anyone seriously think we beat BU this weekend? I would not be shocked given our recent play, but I would be surprised.
      When St. John's Prep beat undefeated Springfield Cathedral (with 6 D1 recruits) in the Super 8, the local hockey writer called it the second Miracle on Ice. If UNH beats BU on Friday, that will be third.

Comment

Positive or negative monstrosity? Did they install a really high quality monster size screen? It is all about quality for me. I'd rather be without than with a low quality screen.
        It is not to scale in that Schneider is a small building with a low ceiling and this hi def baby was very big. I'd say it was about the same size as the one at Agganis. Picture quality was very, very good. But gotta can the music. 10 x worse than the Whit. PC pep band hardly played at all.

Comment

Turning back to the present, does anyone seriously think we beat BU this weekend? I would not be shocked given our recent play, but I would be surprised.
          Speaking of turning back .... how about we turn back to the "old days" and every time the other team's best scorer is on the ice we have our most tenacious defensive player (a forward) on the ice, shadowing him, getting in his way, jawing at him, irritating him :-) .... might make it interesting. How else are you going to reduce the influence of #9?

BU & UNH minus #9 are suspiciously even. BU is the prohibitive favorite .... get us into the 3rd period, in a close game, and the house money we are playing with might just get BU playing not to lose ....... kind of like UNH did for so many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
            Actually Chuck, the Arena was built for boxing, not hockey. That's why you can't see half the ice from the back rows of the balcony except in the end zone. And you may not have been to either one but the best new arenas for hockey, no surprise, are in Minnesota with the Xcel Center and Mariucci.
            Gotta disagree on the purpose of the Arena, Greg. It WAS built primarily for hockey and other "ice sports" (see link below). But yeah, because boxing was arguably the biggest spectator sport in America (definitely the biggest indoor sport) at the time the Arena opened, it was better known nationally for some of the bouts it hosted ( ... not that I was there, mind you ).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/sp...rena.html?_r=0

I've been to the Xcel Center for the 2002 Frozen Four, and agree 100% it's the best NHL facility I've ever seen. Haven't been to Mariucci Arena though, but I'll take your word for it.

Originally posted by sonar View Post
            I cannot express how much I would enjoy (and yes benefit from) getting the buzz back. Reading the posts the last few weeks can only be described as a "walk back in time." I am actually looking forward to the weekend. However, my experience is akin to being on a three person rope team that is ascending a route that skirts a large crevasse .... been there done that. I'll take the experience and be larger as a function of it .... however, the summit looks more and more to be further away.

I'm all "growed up" now and the NCAA summit is less important to me .... but it still tugs at my thoughts.
            Right there with you, sonar. "Tugs at my thoughts" is a poignant description that mirrors my own feelings. Wish I'd thought of that one myself. Well put, sir.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Prediction time

Friday night's final score: UNH 3 BU 2. Correale nets the game-winner.

... and then UMass Lowell does a three-peat the next evening.

Comment

Speaking of turning back .... how about we turn back to the "old days" and every time the other team's best scorer is on the ice we have our most tenacious defensive player (a forward) on the ice, shadowing him, getting in his way, jawing at him, irritating him :-) .... might make it interesting. How else are you going to reduce the influence of #9?
                "What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play... again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game." Seriously, the old school tactic that might work is lure him into a fight > DQ.

BU & UNH minus #9 are suspiciously even. BU is the prohibitive favorite .... get us into the 3rd period, in a close game, and the house money we are playing with might just get BU playing not to lose ....... kind of like UNH did for so many years.
                Not sure about this. If you match the lines and pick players to start a team, the first 4 or 5 forwards would be from BU. The first defenseman would be from BU, but then maybe some 'cats. Tirone has a case for being the goal tender. As for the 3rd period, BU owns it as we've experienced.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Re: Prediction time

Originally posted by chuck murray View Post
                  friday night's final score: Unh 3 bu 2. correale nets the game-winner.

... And then umass lowell does a three-peat the next evening.
                  sog?
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

sog?
                    No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

IF UNH gets by BU then UML is toastl Sorry, I know you love UML!! Actually, I've got UVM over UML! SOG is irrelevant at this point!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

http://www.joshgibney.com/elind.jpg
                        Cool to see former Wildcat Eric Lind behind the bench for the Connecticut Oilers of the EHL tonight in Hudson in game one of the league's championship series.

I haven't posted an image on here in a few years, it would seem, it won't let me post just the image for some reason...
                        Last edited by Gibber; 03-18-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Hey Ya know what if we get that far....it will be amazing no matter what the outcome! We are already oloser than we ever dreamed we would be this season! Maybe the Hockey Gods have something up their sleeve guess we'll find out! Go 'Cats!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Well then you can eat them because I'm sure there is no real meat in those hot dogs.
                            Good point; I really set myself up for that one.

Good to see this thread taking off! Took me a few minutes to scroll through the last two pages of nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                              When St. John's Prep beat undefeated Springfield Cathedral (with 6 D1 recruits) in the Super 8, the local hockey writer called it the second Miracle on Ice. If UNH beats BU on Friday, that will be third.
                              No doubt it's a monumental task...and we'll take that Miracle 😉. Go 'Cats!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                                http://www.joshgibney.com/elind.jpg
                                Cool to see former Wildcat Eric Lind behind the bench for the Connecticut Oilers of the EHL tonight in Hudson in game one of the league's championship series.
                                Yes; very cool ... Any guesses as to the nature of the big signet ring (with a prominent blue stone) he's wearing on his right hand? Is it hockey-related (as player or coach from a prior championship he's won?) or perhaps his UNH graduation ring? Just curious 'tis all ...

Comment

Working...
                                X