This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Hey let's ditch our jerseys for opening day and all wear...pink. 'Cats have had them in the past and would love to get one. Maybe we'll get on the new 'tron
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I'm in. "Lets go pink!".

The point is we are blue and white. The Sox are red and blue. Pink is a blatant marketing cash grab. In the Sox case it appealed to a crowd that didn't know much about the game of baseball.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        The article by Breanne Mellen, an editor at SB Nation's Arctic Ice Hockey, raised my awareness that some female hockey fans view the term "pink hats" unfavorably:

"Women and Hockey, Pink Hats and Equality" from thehockeywriters.com

I completely agree with Greg that one goal of the new video boards is to sell more tickets and put more "fannies in the seats". If that means more "casual" hockey fans at the Whittemore Center, so be it. All of us were casual hockey fans one upon a time.
        For about a day. The next day I was reading Orr On Ice and banning my brother's friend from re-entering the TV room if the Bruins had scored while he was taking a bathroom break.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          I'm in. "Lets go pink!".

The point is we are blue and white.
          ..... and thankfully the athletic teams haven't been "required" to use the new royal blue that has become the official blue seen all over campus .... kind of looks like Walmart is having a sale as you drive through campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
            ..... and thankfully the athletic teams haven't been "required" to use the new royal blue that has become the official blue seen all over campus .... kind of looks like Walmart is having a sale as you drive through campus.
            Perhaps a Walmart superstore will be replacing the barns and greenhouses just west of the RR tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              ... and you saved that little morsel until right at the end. You sly dog. Hope springs eternal.
              Chuck, I'm a golfer (at least I try to be), not a fisherman (although I love to eat fish)

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                Ugh am soooo not a fan of that blue....
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Good points. I don't attend as many games anymore because, frankly, it gets annoying to have people get up fifty times a game to get food, go to the bathroom etc etc. In the "old days" we would go to watch the game, period. At the Hockey East tournament this year, there were two people in front of me that took selfies and were on Facebook on their phones all night. They never even looked at the ice once. Unfortunately, organizations need revenue. They are going to create an environment where there are even more of what are, to us "hard-core" fans, annoyances. I stopped going to Bruins and Celtics games because it was constant noise end to end. From the minute the whistle blows until play resumes, your eardrums get blown out. It's a function of immediate gratification and zero attention spans that this has become "necessary." So we are just going to have to put up with it because we're not going back to "The Way We Were." But I agree that the "pink hat" reference is not intended to be gender specific and is not aimed at "women." It's a generic reference to the "non hard core" fan.
                  +1

You got my point exactly. I went to a Celtics game the first year the FleetCenter opened. Have never been back. My last Bruins game there was over a decade ago. I understand and accept the fact that the dumbing down of the sporting experience is a reality nowadays. Doesn't mean I have to endorse it or support it. And I'm sure the B's and the C's don't miss me. There are more than enough people who have no problem with their intelligence being insulted that will purchase the seats instead.

My UNH hockey experiences date to a time when if you stood behind the goal at the far end you couldn't even see the game clock. Believe it or not, I can remember the goaltenders telling us how much time was left on occasion. (Back when there was chain link fence not glass.) Didn't matter to me. I was there for the action on the ice. That is still the only reason I go, not for all the other foolishness. I'd rather watch a championship caliber team play at Jacksons Landing than a mediocre one play in a facility with all the bells and whistles. But just as I accept the realities of today's sport I also accept that I am a dinosaur. And like the Bruins and Celtics, I'm sure that UNH hockey doesn't miss my diminishing attendance at its games.
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an old foggie, I remember the old days when we used to have to suffer with wooden bleachers. It was so bad the fans had to create their own noise by stomping on them. Thankfully, with the advent of better technology, the fans no longer have to make noise and can just sit back and let the sound system do it for them.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Looks like TvR just got recalled up to Chicago.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                        Chuck, I'm a golfer (at least I try to be), not a fisherman (although I love to eat fish)
                        Just hoping we haven't seen the last of Walt Borisenok's largesse, and maybe he can land us a real *whopper* after Coach Umile retires.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          At the risk of sounding like an old foggie, I remember the old days when we used to have to suffer with wooden bleachers. It was so bad the fans had to create their own noise by stomping on them. Thankfully, with the advent of better technology, the fans no longer have to make noise and can just sit back and let the sound system do it for them.
                          At the risk of sounding like a cynic, the fans made plenty of noise in a state of the art arena in the late 90's and early 00's....

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            +1

You got my point exactly. I went to a Celtics game the first year the FleetCenter opened. Have never been back. My last Bruins game there was over a decade ago. I understand and accept the fact that the dumbing down of the sporting experience is a reality nowadays. Doesn't mean I have to endorse it or support it. And I'm sure the B's and the C's don't miss me. There are more than enough people who have no problem with their intelligence being insulted that will purchase the seats instead.

My UNH hockey experiences date to a time when if you stood behind the goal at the far end you couldn't even see the game clock. Believe it or not, I can remember the goaltenders telling us how much time was left on occasion. (Back when there was chain link fence not glass.) Didn't matter to me. I was there for the action on the ice. That is still the only reason I go, not for all the other foolishness. I'd rather watch a championship caliber team play at Jacksons Landing than a mediocre one play in a facility with all the bells and whistles. But just as I accept the realities of today's sport I also accept that I am a dinosaur. And like the Bruins and Celtics, I'm sure that UNH hockey doesn't miss my diminishing attendance at its games.
                            So I take it you don't sit in the stands pounding on your iphone either!

I think you're in the minority on this one Felger. The days of the chain linked fence at lively Snively are long gone. Those were the good ole days for sure though. I remember going to the Whit for the first time and there wasn't even a center ice scoreboard. Not for nuthin', but my UVM friends who went there for the first time also mockingly told me "It's a nice arena but the there is no center ice scoreboard." What do they know though??
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              So I take it you don't sit in the stands pounding on your iphone either!

I think you're in the minority on this one Felger. The days of the chain linked fence at lively Snively are long gone. Those were the good ole days for sure though. I remember going to the Whit for the first time and there wasn't even a center ice scoreboard. Not for nuthin', but my UVM friends who went there for the first time also mockingly told me "It's a nice arena but the there is no center ice scoreboard." What do they know though??
                              Oh, I know I'm in the minority on this one. Hence the term dinosaur. Being in the minority not always a bad thing. 49 states voted for Richard Nixon. 20 months later what happened?

But I digress.

Honestly, I'm happy for all the "fans" who are thrilled with this news. I've just never understood all the wasted time, energy and brain cells over a jumbotron. I go for the action on the ice. Period. There is only one thing I care about adding to the rafters at the Whitt, and it sure ain't a friggin jumbotron.

BTW, UNH hockey fans are all over the place on this issue. The current AD has taken plenty of heat on this thread and others, perhaps deservedly so. Yet, I've heard little complaining that in the press release he refers to using the new screens for marketing and promotional opportunities. Likewise, many of these same fans whine about spending money on facilities across the street on a more successful program. They do so under the guise of worrying about the fiscal stability of the athletic department, though I would contend that much of the consternation is jealousy. However I've seen no similar mocking of the attempt to raise money to put up the sacred jumbotron.

Flame away. I'm sure the negative rep is coming way.
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I too have fond memories of watching the action through the chain link fence at the swimming pool end of Snively Arena. But I also think I understand the modern athlete. As I said in my article back in December, 2011, watch any hockey game, pro or college, and pay attention to what the players are doing on the bench after a goal, near-goal, or controversial play. They are looking up at the center ice jumbotron to watch the video replay. Watching video to prepare for games and for feedback on what he or she is doing correctly or incorrectly is ingrained in these young hockey players. That is why the addition of a jumbotron at center ice at the Whittemore Center is necessary. Young recruits and college players want to have that as an integral part of their college career.

Most fans do the same thing whether they are at home watching on their LED, big-screen TV or are in the arena. For better or worse (I think better) we have been trained to watch video replays to confirm what we think we saw in real time.

Am I looking forward to watching fans kiss or dance on the video boards? Of course not. But that is a minor annoyance - it bugs me more when the neighbor's dog craps on my lawn (a la Mr. Wilson).

As for sitting on my hands and letting the video boards do the cheering for me - that's just silly. The enthusiastic student fans are not going to go mute. The pep band isn't going to pack up their instruments and go home. I'm not going to stop cheering when I see an outstanding individual effort or team play.

One last observation. When the TV coverage scans the crowd at the TD Garden during a Bruins game, or any other NHL venue, I see an ocean of enthusiastic fans loving the atmosphere and cheering for their team. It's what hockey fans do in 2015, just like we did in 1975.

Watching the Rangers-Lightening game reminds me - I hope the Whittemore Center jumbotron and/or video board shows the live action on the ice. There aren't many seats in any arena where one can see every square inch of the ice.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 05-22-2015, 08:16 PM.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X