X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Some here probably would categorize Mike Borisenok as a classic plugger, from earlier in this thread. And, I still consider this term in a favorable light, as after playing in only 11 games with a goal and an assist during his freshman year in 2008-09, he did not miss another game, so 124 games total. Although Mike did not have the scoring touch, with only 19 goals and 30 assists overall, he always played hard, with his 5'8" frame, usually on the lower lines, and was a co-captain his senior year. He was tied with three others for ninth in scoring 12 points his senior year, when UNH got knocked out of the HEA by BU in the first round, and did not make the NCAAs with their 15-18-3 record. So, I think that it is really cool that Mike and his family have made this gift to UNH; obviously they were very happy with his experience as a Wildcat, and Umile and Marty must be very pleased.
    he was always a little sparkplug that give it all every shift. Good to see him and the family give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Some here probably would categorize Mike Borisenok as a classic plugger, from earlier in this thread. And, I still consider this term in a favorable light, as after playing in only 11 games with a goal and an assist during his freshman year in 2008-09, he did not miss another game, so 124 games total. Although Mike did not have the scoring touch, with only 19 goals and 30 assists overall, he always played hard, with his 5'8" frame, usually on the lower lines, and was a co-captain his senior year. He was tied with three others for ninth in scoring 12 points his senior year, when UNH got knocked out of the HEA by BU in the first round, and did not make the NCAAs with their 15-18-3 record. So, I think that it is really cool that Mike and his family have made this gift to UNH; obviously they were very happy with his experience as a Wildcat, and Umile and Marty must be very pleased.
      Cool!! Wow, former player giving back...and, I like that phrase... AND am soo psyched to see the new boards in place!!! Can do without the dance/kiss cams tho..
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
        he was always a little sparkplug that give it all every shift.
        Excellent description, Nifty.

I remember Mike's blog entry on our need for a jumbotron, but forgot how long ago it was, December 2011. His blog post inspired me at the time to post a spin off from the last song that Janis Joplin ever recorded, Mecedes Benz, on October 1st 1970, three days before she died. Something like "Oh, Lord, won't you buy us a fancy scoreboard. All our friends have jumbotrons, we must make amends."

Comment

Been putting off changing my expired password until this news popped thru on my email. Figured there would be huzzahs all around!!!

Would he have been a "sparkplugger", then?
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
            Been putting off changing my expired password until this news popped thru on my email. Figured there would be huzzahs all around!!!

Would he have been a "sparkplugger", then?
            Hey wildcatdc nice to see Ya! Now you have an excuse to come to some games and see our new addition...Now let's see the schedule please and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Happy news for the pink hats out there
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                Happy news for the pink hats out there
                Hopefully we implement the new technology with dignity and class, avoiding the incessant overwhelming audio and video sensory assault that has become the norm.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

When my daughter attends games at the Whittemore Center, she wears her white UNH home jersey with the number and name of her favorite UNH player embroidered on the back. If she could find a pink UNH hockey hat to purchase, she'd probably buy one and wear it with pride. I hope that UNH hockey fans would be welcoming to any girl or woman who wants to enjoy a game at the Whitt regardless of their level of knowledge about the game of hockey.

"Women and Hockey, Pink Hats and Equality" from thehockeywriters.com
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I hope that UNH hockey fans would be welcoming to any girl or woman who wants to enjoy a game at the Whitt regardless of their level of knowledge about the game of hockey.
                    +100. I echo this sentiment for Northeastern as well, and also the hockey community as a whole. Well said CHC.
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

When my daughter attends games at the Whittemore Center, she wears her white UNH home jersey with the number and name of her favorite UNH player embroidered on the back. If she could find a pink UNH hockey hat to purchase, she'd probably buy one and wear it with pride. I hope that UNH hockey fans would be welcoming to any girl or woman who wants to enjoy a game at the Whitt regardless of their level of knowledge about the game of hockey.

I believe the "pink hat" reference is a metaphor which began, at least in these parts, during the 2003 Red Sox season and escalated over the next few years when the popularity of the Sox out of control (not so much anymore). UNH had a metaphorical pink hat era from the late '90's through 2004 or so. This was in the days of the season ticket waiting lists and the Varsity Club. With both teams there was this sense that Fenway and the Whit were the places to be and this brought in plenty of casual fans, some of whom (at least in the Sox case) were female and wore pink caps. Don't see much of that anymore at Fenway and I have never seen it at the Whit. At this point neither the Sox nor UNH can look askance anyone who plunks down their money and sticks their fanny in a seat, pink hat or not.

I also want to mention the Borisenok donation to the center ice scoreboard. Mike's dad, Walt, is one of the most well rounded and knowledgable hockey parents I have ever met at UNH. Walt is a real savvy guy, and his son is a chip off the old block. How many UNH Hockey players, regardless of talent level, graduate and forego hockey immediately? I remember Brad Flashians, and there are no doubt others, but Mike Borisenok is one of them. I remember his senior year there was an article about the business he had started while still playing hockey. His dad is pretty successful in his own right and he mentioned to me more than once what a great fit UNH was for his son, both athletically and academically. So I wasn't floored when I saw the Borisenok name as part of the donor list for the scoreboard. As an aside, Walt Borisenok is pretty close friends with Nate Leaman, the Providence coach. I didn't see him at the Garden, but I have no doubt he was there, reveling in the success of his fishing pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                        I believe the "pink hat" reference is a metaphor which began, at least in these parts, during the 2003 Red Sox season and escalated over the next few years when the popularity of the Sox was out of control
                        Good points. I don't attend as many games anymore because, frankly, it gets annoying to have people get up fifty times a game to get food, go to the bathroom etc etc. In the "old days" we would go to watch the game, period. At the Hockey East tournament this year, there were two people in front of me that took selfies and were on Facebook on their phones all night. They never even looked at the ice once. Unfortunately, organizations need revenue. They are going to create an environment where there are even more of what are, to us "hard-core" fans, annoyances. I stopped going to Bruins and Celtics games because it was constant noise end to end. From the minute the whistle blows until play resumes, your eardrums get blown out. It's a function of immediate gratification and zero attention spans that this has become "necessary." So we are just going to have to put up with it because we're not going back to "The Way We Were." But I agree that the "pink hat" reference is not intended to be gender specific and is not aimed at "women." It's a generic reference to the "non hard core" fan.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          But I agree that the "pink hat" reference is not intended to be gender specific and is not aimed at "women." It's a generic reference to the "non hard core" fan.
                          The article by Breanne Mellen, an editor at SB Nation's Arctic Ice Hockey, raised my awareness that some female hockey fans view the term "pink hats" unfavorably:

I completely agree with Greg that one goal of the new video boards is to sell more tickets and put more "fannies in the seats". If that means more "casual" hockey fans at the Whittemore Center, so be it. All of us were casual hockey fans one upon a time.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post

What an amazing article and perspective of the female fan/ writer thanks for sharing! Sat next to Joffery Lupl! I still have a lot to learn about the nuances of the sport and can only lol about a few of my early hockey experiences as I pondered things like "wow the coach must not approve of the players out there coz they change them out so often" sighhhhh . (Circa 2007 first UNH game v CC)

Thanks to many of you and my own education I've come a long way...still am learning more about strategy but I get the basics and can recognize most fouls.

I'd buy a pink hat in a minute truth be told...if it had a UNH Wildcat symbol on it... �� but that doesn't make me any less a fan or student of the game!!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                              I believe the "pink hat" reference is a metaphor which began, at least in these parts, during the 2003 Red Sox season and escalated over the next few years when the popularity of the Sox out of control (not so much anymore). UNH had a metaphorical pink hat era from the late '90's through 2004 or so. This was in the days of the season ticket waiting lists and the Varsity Club. With both teams there was this sense that Fenway and the Whit were the places to be and this brought in plenty of casual fans, some of whom (at least in the Sox case) were female and wore pink caps. Don't see much of that anymore at Fenway and I have never seen it at the Whit. At this point neither the Sox nor UNH can look askance anyone who plunks down their money and sticks their fanny in a seat, pink hat or not.

I also want to mention the Borisenok donation to the center ice scoreboard. Mike's dad, Walt, is one of the most well rounded and knowledgable hockey parents I have ever met at UNH. Walt is a real savvy guy, and his son is a chip off the old block. How many UNH Hockey players, regardless of talent level, graduate and forego hockey immediately? I remember Brad Flashians, and there are no doubt others, but Mike Borisenok is one of them. I remember his senior year there was an article about the business he had started while still playing hockey. His dad is pretty successful in his own right and he mentioned to me more than once what a great fit UNH was for his son, both athletically and academically. So I wasn't floored when I saw the Borisenok name as part of the donor list for the scoreboard. As an aside, Walt Borisenok is pretty close friends with Nate Leaman, the Providence coach. I didn't see him at the Garden, but I have no doubt he was there, reveling in the success of his fishing pal.
                              ... and you saved that little morsel until right at the end. You sly dog. Hope springs eternal.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Stoked about the new Jumbotron. Never wore a a "pink hat" but used to wear pink Izod golf shirts and pink buttton down shirts back in the day!!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X