X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    But, back to the coming year's senior class. How about "goal-scoring-challenged players" instead of "talentless pluggers"?
    I've always been partial to "3rd & 4th line grunts" myself ...

let the verbal bloodbath begin!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

But, Yandle scored all 25 of his goals as a D-man, so that leaves only Leach's 2 goals for the forwards in that upcoming senior class. However, who knows how many more goals that senior class would have had coming in, if Ed Caron had stayed for his junior and senior years, after finding the back of the net five times his sophomore year?

Comment

Whoaaa, I cannot agree that our PP is pathetic, not last year anyway. We were fifth best in Hockey East, and 2% points better than the National Champions, besides beating them 3 out of 5 games, lest we forget. :-)

But, back to the coming year's senior class. How about "goal-scoring-challenged players" instead of "talentless pluggers"? A little research reveals the last time that an incoming senior class had fewer than 33 goals was in 2005-2006. That senior class included D-man Brian Yandle, who racked up 23 goals his first three seasons, and Andrew Leach, who scored 2 goals his freshmen year, and that was it, for a total of 27 goals.

Just trying to keep things edgy here. :-)
        Easily the least likeable team in recent history. We have a lot to look forward to this coming season.
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Whoaaa, I cannot agree that our PP is pathetic, not last year anyway. We were fifth best in Hockey East, and 2% points better than the National Champions, besides beating them 3 out of 5 games, lest we forget. :-)

But, back to the coming year's senior class. How about "goal-scoring-challenged players" instead of "talentless pluggers"? A little research reveals the last time that an incoming senior class had fewer than 33 goals was in 2005-2006. That senior class included D-man Brian Yandle, who racked up 23 goals his first three seasons, and Andrew Leach, who scored 2 goals his freshmen year, and that was it, for a total of 27 goals.

Just trying to keep things edgy here. :-)
          Edgy...love it! Thanks for the education on our PP! And for a time out PK was right up there as well...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Easily the least likeable team in recent history. We have a lot to look forward to this coming season.
            Agreed...hopefully people stay healthy and talent is implemented from the get go 😉
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

interesting- masonius was just drafted in the ushl draft
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

We were fifth best in Hockey East, and 2% points better than the National Champions, besides beating them 3 out of 5 games, lest we forget. :-)
                SOG is WAY MORE meaningful than that!
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Killing time at the dentist's office, when better to jump back into this mess ...

Last year, on one or more occasions, one or more of these seniors sat as healthy scratches. I have no reason not to suspect the same could happen next year, EXCEPT, somebody put letters on their sweaters. The odds are now much higher that they are going to play even when (perhaps) more talented guys are available. It's that simple, and I don't think this constitutes attacking anyone.
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Don't forget about the "muckers" and "instigators"!!

Better to instigate than retaliate!! Right??
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Edgy...love it! Thanks for the education on our PP! And for a time out PK was right up there as well...
                      Yeah, our PK really tailed off, ending with 7th in Hockey East.

Looking ahead to Chuck's review of his "over/under" projections last September; I know that we ended up just short of the magical 3.0 goals per game at 2.98, but we posted a 2.73 GA, so decent differential there, despite all of those one-goal losses the first half of the season.

Comment

Joseph Masonius is still planning on coming to UNH in September, 2015.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

so, reading between the lines, there must be a different reason that may cause him to play in the USHL.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Last spring, both the Ontario Hockey League and the United States Hockey League drafted Warren Foegele even though he had every intention on coming to UNH in Fall 2014.
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                              Killing time at the dentist's office, when better to jump back into this mess ...

Last year, on one or more occasions, one or more of these seniors sat as healthy scratches. I have no reason not to suspect the same could happen next year, EXCEPT, somebody put letters on their sweaters. The odds are now much higher that they are going to play even when (perhaps) more talented guys are available. It's that simple, and I don't think this constitutes attacking anyone.
                              Hey good to see Ya! That is a very fair assessment and will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Here's hoping they have big breakout years...😉
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                Precisely. Players with letters on their sweaters - especially the "C" - rarely if ever are healthy scratches.

Which is presumably why Coach Umile has to have the final check-off in this process.

For sake of comparison ... Max Gaudreault and Dan Correale (alternate captains) are hovering at around 90-100 games apiece over their first three years at UNH, while Collin MacDonald comes in at roughly half that figure, barely even getting out on the ice (once?) for UNH in their biggest games during his first three seasons. Of the leadership team, only Correale can lay claim to being a steady regular over his last two seasons, and routinely dressing in UNH's biggest games during his time in Durham. Which frankly is why I expected him to get the "C" for next season. After the 2015/2016 leadership team-in-waiting, there are also guys like Kyle Smith and Harry Quast who have each played in roughly 70 games during their time at UNH. Jamie Hill - a fellow classmate but a virtual redshirt as a frosh - has played 33 games in the last two seasons, which puts him on pace for roughly 50 games in 3 years. And I'm guessing no one on here or beyond is expecting him to get the nod as the 2016/2017 UNH Men's Hockey captain.

One of the BC posters previously put forth the case of Matt Price, captain of the 2009/2010 BC Eagles. Certainly a low profile selection on a stacked (but young) roster, Price had already played 106 games through the end of his junior year, and been part of a D-1 champion earlier in his career at The Heights. So the comparison intended to support MacDonald's selection really falls short of the mark, other than to reinforce the concept that your star(s) don't necessarily have to be the ones with the letters on their sweaters (I agree 100%).

Just a very curious leadership decision by UNH for next season, in so many ways.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X