PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51

Chuck Murray
06-06-2015, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=HockeyRef;6168163]The thing that made UNH so good during the late 90's to mid 00 stretch was that the top players (Krog, Haydar, Saviano, Collins, Gare, Mikflikier, Hemingway, etc...) Were not NHL players, they were great College hockey players who fit the college style well and were properly recruited. No one here will tell me that the would prefer to have JVR (Who was the #2 overall NHL draft pick and now a US olympian) during his time at UNH over those other guys. Simply because as soon as JVR came in you knew he was going to be a 1 or 2 year player and he did too. It seemed like he didn't even try sometimes when he was on the ice. Where a talented group of seniors who have spent years at a school, mostly undrafted and not knowing that they have a legitimate shot at moving on to NHL may give it their all and try just a bit harder than their opposition. And probably also are a couple years older, their bodies are more developed and they are more experience.

Good points (especially the last ones). You should never underestimate the importance of motivation on athletic success, or success in any setting actually. "Work beats talent unless talent works" is something I've always believed in. And I dislike using the word "luck" in describing any championship team. It's disrespectful of a great accomplishment, and just reflects poorly on whomever raises it (sour grapes, etc.). For me ... "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

Talent is a wonderful thing, but if it's NOT harnessed AND motivated, it will only ever get you so far ...

HockeyRef
06-07-2015, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=UNHJourney34;6168192]

Good points (especially the last ones). You should never underestimate the importance of motivation on athletic success, or success in any setting actually. "Work beats talent unless talent works" is something I've always believed in. And I dislike using the word "luck" in describing any championship team. It's disrespectful of a great accomplishment, and just reflects poorly on whomever raises it (sour grapes, etc.). For me ... "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

Talent is a wonderful thing, but if it's NOT harnessed AND motivated, it will only ever get you so far ...

Hey Chuck absolutely have to agree with your sentiments. I hope I didn't give the impression that PC and Union were "lucky" and geeze, how did those two teams win when... kind of impression. I think it's fantastic that they won their titles, and I know that Union just blew the doors off anyone in their way. They were a driven, motivated team there is no doubt about that. I'd also agree that the PC/BU matchup was a goal tenders battle. Sure it could've gone either way. I'm just happy that it was won by a HE team, truth be told... When I coached field hockey teams I told my girls "the only place where the word success comes before work...is in the dictionary. Now get on the endline." (sprint time) :D One thing for sure, talk is sure cheap. Coaching kids today is such a different animal, or so I've been told (been out of it awhile) but I do officiate a ton of games. I know things are different; kids are far more coddled, etc. But the teams who win, and win it all, work at it.

ps...I don't know much about Union's Rick Bennett or PC's Nate Leaman, but they both seem like they push their teams...gotta come from the top. I don't care who your assistants are.

NCAA watcher
06-07-2015, 05:47 PM
* I still think those who are assuming Coach Umile only has a 2-3 year shelf life remaining right now are being premature. If things are trending positive in these next two seasons - and to recap, I'll say for simplicity sake that the last three seasons have been a time where we'll look back and classify it as "treading water" at the low point of Umile's tenure - I'm positive the "lifetime contract" will see him coach into his 70's. He wouldn't be the first, and I doubt he'd be the last. Now if despite some of the changes we've seen over the last couple of seasons, the program continues to languish at its present level ... yeah, I think that would probably convince everyone (Umile included) that his time is up, and it's time for a change.

* If (and I say when) Coach Umile turns things around these next two seasons, and then coaches into his 70's, I will be the first on my block to say that Coach Umile will outlast BS35+2+whatever in their respective UNH positions. :) :)

The more I reflect on Ryczek's decommitment, the more ****ing its subtext about the state of the program. Here is a player that clearly had no connection to the head coach, so that upon the change in his one connection to UNH (Borek) he goes elsewhere. I just stated that as a fact in the last couple of days, but today it dawned on me just how telling that is about the limited role/appeal Umile has in getting a commitment from a recruit. Would a York recruit leave BC because Scott Paluch left for Bowling Green or Cavanaugh left for U.Conn? Normally in college sports we see recruits leave when the HC leaves.
It underscores the lack of connection between the HC and the recruits, which may explain the difficulties faced (and continuing forward) in recruiting kids who want to feel wanted (or at least a HC who knows their name).

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. What are the main reasons you chose UNH?
Jake Ryczek: Thank you. I’m very excited and so is my family. I chose UNH because the first time I was on campus it just felt right. UNH has a great coaching staff, I felt my game fit their hockey style and UNH is a great academic school for me.

I guess we know now which one was the attraction, and which one was irrelevant.

Chuck Murray
06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
The more I reflect on Ryczek's decommitment, the more ****ing its subtext about the state of the program. Here is a player that clearly had no connection to the head coach, so that upon the change in his one connection to UNH (Borek) he goes elsewhere. I just stated that as a fact in the last couple of days, but today it dawned on me just how telling that is about the limited role/appeal Umile has in getting a commitment from a recruit. Would a York recruit leave BC because Scott Paluch left for Bowling Green or Cavanaugh left for U.Conn? Normally in college sports we see recruits leave when the HC leaves.
It underscores the lack of connection between the HC and the recruits, which may explain the difficulties faced (and continuing forward) in recruiting kids who want to feel wanted (or at least a HC who knows their name).

Fair points. Right now, Men's Hockey at BC and UNH live in different universes. Wasn't always the case ...

HockeyRef
06-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Fair points. Right now, Men's Hockey at BC and UNH live in different universes. Wasn't always the case ...

Q for those of you in the know when a recruit de-commits is there a follow up done to find out why? Do other colleges face the same thing? Has UNH experienced an inordinate amount of de-commits? Guess part of me wants to think UNH is comparable in such things to other programs. Apparently this player feels they will get a better deal elsewhere.

Something to pay attention to...

C-H-C
06-07-2015, 07:04 PM
In April, Thomas Aldworth - the 4th leading goal scorer in the BCHL (37 goals) and 195th North American skater on the NHL CSS Final Draft Rankings - decommitted from Providence and committed to Quinnipiac.

Liam Blackburn was seriously considering Merrimack, in part, because of what he thought of Coach Glenn Stewart, then ultimately committed to UNH after Stewart left Merrimack and replaced Coach Tortorella at UNH.

Decommitments are not unusual and happen for a variety of reasons.

I point this out not because I think everything the UNH coaches do is laudable. I point it out because I'm not looking to hang every undesirable event around Coach Umile's neck. He's likely to be the UNH head coach for another 1-3 years. Constantly b*tching about it is not going to change that reality.

Until all the circumstances surrounding Ryczek's (who is 17 years old) and his parents' decision to decommit from UNH are made public (if they ever are), no one knows why it happened. Could it have been because of his and, particularly, his parents' trust and positive relationship with Coach Borek? Certainly.

The hiring of Mike Souza, Josh Ciocco, or some other former UNH player to replace Coach Borek, along with Coach Stewart's hiring last summer, accomplishes what some have been clamoring for - young coaches with professional hockey experience who can relate to young players and sell their alma mater.

sonar
06-07-2015, 07:07 PM
It underscores the lack of connection between the HC and the recruits, which may explain the difficulties faced (and continuing forward) in recruiting kids who want to feel wanted (or at least a HC who knows their name). I guess we know now which one was the attraction, and which one was irrelevant.

This all makes sense to me .... especially when a curmudgeon friend said a few years ago .... "You know this whole coaching thing reminds me of an "Imperial Presidency" ....

NCAA watcher
06-07-2015, 07:12 PM
In April, Thomas Aldworth - the 4th leading goal scorer in the BCHL (37 goals) and 195th North American skater on the NHL CSS Final Draft Rankings - decommitted from Providence and committed to Quinnipiac.
Was decommitted. Along with Ted Hart, Terrence Amorosa and Dylan mcLaughlin, Dylan Wells (to make room for Gillies).

Leaman is fairly ruthless in cutting scholarships to kids who don't develop. That is in contrast with UNH which is very good about honoring promises, even if they push the kids back. That alone is one unseemly part of Providence's upgrade, not being hampered by a lot of money in 3rd and 4th liners.

C-H-C
06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Was decommitted. Along with Ted Hart, Terrence Amorosa and Dylan mcLaughlin, Dylan Wells (to make room for Gillies).

Leaman is fairly ruthless in cutting scholarships to kids who don't develop. That is in contrast with UNH which is very good about honoring promises, even if they push the kids back. That alone is one unseemly part of Providence's upgrade, not being hampered by a lot of money in 3rd and 4th liners.

An opinion.

Others would argue that scoring 37 goals, including 4 game-winners, plus 4 more in the BCHL playoffs represents development.

From what I've heard, some UNH fans might be surprised by the relatively low amount of scholarship money UNH has committed to "3rd and 4th liners".

HockeyRef
06-07-2015, 07:22 PM

Liam Blackburn was seriously considering Merrimack, in part, because of what he thought of Coach Glenn Stewart, then ultimately committed to UNH after Stewart left Merrimack and replaced Coach Tortorella at UNH.

Decommitments are not unusual and happen for a variety of reasons.

I point this out not because I think everything the UNH coaches do is laudable. I point it out because I'm not looking to hang every undesirable event around Coach Umile's neck. He's likely to be the UNH head coach for another 1-3 years. Constantly b*tching about it is not going to change that reality.

Until all the circumstances surrounding Ryczek's (who is 17 years old) and his parents' decision to decommit from UNH are made public (if they ever are), no one knows why it happened. Could it have been because of his and, particularly, his parents' trust and positive relationship with Coach Borek? Certainly.

The hiring of Mike Souza, Josh Ciocco, or some other former UNH player to replace Coach Borek, along with Coach Stewart's hiring last summer, accomplishes what some have been clamoring for - young coaches with professional hockey experience who can relate to young players and sell their alma mater.

Thanks for pointing these things out Mike. It's too convenient to point to one consistent factor. And the Blackburn story you mention is the one I alluded to in another post FWIW...

What kid wouldn't want to join a team like PC with their recent accomplishment? Seems like a no brainer to me...

C-H-C
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks for pointing these things out Mike. It's too convenient to point to one consistent factor. And the Blackburn story you mention is the one I alluded to in another post FWIW...

What kid wouldn't want to join a team like PC with their recent accomplishment? Seems like a no brainer to me...

It's not a foregone conclusion that Ryczek will commit to Providence. But even if he does, there will be several reasons that his parents and he believe it's a good fit for him.

HockeyRef
06-07-2015, 07:31 PM
It's not a foregone conclusion that Ryczek will commit to Providence. But even if he does, there will be several reasons that his parents and he believe it's a good fit for him.

Well then I stand corrected I was under the impression he had committed to PC...just like the impression I have that Souza is coming to UNH...

Greg A
06-08-2015, 09:50 AM
An opinion.

Others would argue that scoring 37 goals, including 4 game-winners, plus 4 more in the BCHL playoffs represents development.

From what I've heard, some UNH fans might be surprised by the relatively low amount of scholarship money UNH has committed to "3rd and 4th liners".

We all know that there are 18 scholarships available. We also know that at any given time, there are 24 or 25 kids on the roster. Unless things have changed remarkably over the last few years, plenty of kids come on 3 for 4 or 2 for 4 deals. And in some cases, scholarship money is not be available until a kid is a senior. Unlike 12-15 years ago, I feel UNH is walking a finer line with recruits these days. They have not been to a FF in 12 years, and in 3 of the last 4 years they didn't even make the tournament. Most would agree that they have been backsliding gradually. They don't have the cache that they had when McCloskey was here and in Borek's early years. As a result, you would think their recruiting philosophy should change. Offering kids a year earlier than other schools might, giving a kid a full boat or a 3 for 4 when other schools might be more cautious. The point I am trying to make is that, if they want to get better, UNH has to break out of the recruiting box they are in.

I also want to address the role Umile takes in the recruiting process. At different times years ago, both McCloskey and Lassonde told me that the coach was the closer. That once a player had winnowed his choices down to include UNH, Umile's job was to meet with the player and the parents and seal the deal. I can't imagine that he is as aloof as Watcher seems to portray. With this Rykcek kid, could it be that when he saw Borek moving to Providence, his hope is to move with him? Or to take a more sinister view, could Borek have been offered the job by Leaman contingent on him brining the Rykcek kid with him? The latter seems to go against the chummy protocol that most Hockey East coaches have adhered to over the years. But, as we know, it really isn't an old boys club anymore. Maybe Leaman is cut from a different cloth?

To me, the overriding thrust based on events of the last week is that this is the biggest change in UNH Hockey since McCloskey left. I look at it as an opportunity for the program to re-energize itself, tweak their recruiting philosophy, and get back in the game competively. Can only hope that this comes to pass.

C-H-C
06-08-2015, 10:24 AM
With this Ryczek kid, could it be that when he saw Borek moving to Providence, his hope is to move with him? Or to take a more sinister view, could Borek have been offered the job by Leaman contingent on him brining the Rykcek kid with him? The latter seems to go against the chummy protocol that most Hockey East coaches have adhered to over the years. But, as we know, it really isn't an old boys club anymore. Maybe Leaman is cut from a different cloth?

Don't know if this is Leaman's style but it is not Coach Borek's style.

Greg A
06-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't know if this is Leaman's style but it is not Coach Borek's style.

I get that. Just speculating.

Chuck Murray
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Just speculating.

Seems to be a lot of that going on - albeit for very good reasons (with uncanny accuracy to date).

Speaking of which ... when is the Souza press release due? :confused: ;)

603Wildcats
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Rumor is that DeSmith was transferring to Michigan but is now looking elsewhere

Hokydad
06-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Dylan Wells and Jon Gillies played together a year. He left because he had no chance of ever playing. He ended up going D 3.
PC has 6 D coming back and a kid from US Natl team coming this year. Following year, they need at least 2 or 3. Kid they pushed out another year in ushl is not getting it done. That is a spot they need for sure. If kid committed to UNH thru Borek, and the rumors floating about HC, why wouldn't he leave. Gentlemens agreement? true but things change. Think NU would have liked it if they pushed their sr goalie to back burner and had Gillies last 3 years. Throw him and Gaudreau on that team, we are talking deep NCAA runs.

HockeyRef
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Seems to be a lot of that going on - albeit for very good reasons (with uncanny accuracy to date).

Speaking of which ... when is the Souza press release due? :confused: ;)

Dang don't even think UNH has announced Borek has left, or have they? On another note, here's hoping TvR gets in game 3 tonight!! Have to check my Twitter feed...

EDIT: Yup! looks like he's in, paired with Duncan Keith...woot!!!

HHound
06-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Think NU would have liked it if they pushed their sr goalie to back burner and had Gillies last 3 years. Throw him and Gaudreau on that team, we are talking deep NCAA runs.

Please don't remind us.:( And take our AD, Please!:mad: