X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Ok so been thinking about the past few posts as I've soaked up the Fla sun...and am heading home to hopefully better weather than I left. Deleted my last post coz it dawned on me that I don't have to skate on both sides of the ice and it's no secret where my loyalties lie. I'm one of those 'new' posters who apparently don't have much to say anyway so here goes...
    Please explain to me how calling players like our current Senior class "talentless pluggers" isn't belittling them? I mean heck this is just a message board where one can say whatever you want so have at it but please...don't say comments like that aren't of a belittling nature!
    Oh and when one of our graduating Seniors was called a "wiff" if I have that right...
    Post whatever you like but at least get real about what you post. Or follow a team who's got it all together. End of rant. Have at it.
    You may call it belittling I call it realistic evaluation of the talent on the ice based on current and past performance. If you are looking for hockey talent you need players that can put the puck on another players tape, put the puck in the net with a hard accurate shot and have the ability to read plays. If there is not demonstrable levels of these primary skills the player is likely a lessor talent, a plugger. As a certain football coach used to point out, at a certain point you are what your record says you are.

These players are not kids, they are men that have chosen to be in the public eye. My guess is any of them that read this stuff realize what it is and the laugh at it or ignore it.

I am a long time supporter of this program. But at the end of the day I chose not to spend time with blue & white glasses.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
      You may call it belittling I call it realistic evaluation of the talent on the ice based on current and past performance. If you are looking for hockey talent you need players that can put the puck on another players tape, put the puck in the net with a hard accurate shot and have the ability to read plays. If there is not demonstrable levels of these primary skills the player is likely a lessor talent, a plugger. As a certain football coach used to point out, at a certain point you are what your record says you are.

These players are not kids, they are men that have chosen to be in the public eye. My guess is any of them that read this stuff realize what it is and the laugh at it or ignore it.

I am a long time supporter of this program. But at the end of the day I chose not to spend time with blue & white glasses.
      Hey JB your points are very well taken. I want and expect the same as you at the end of the day and fully understand despite my cheerleader tendencies what the stakes are here. Believe me we are investing a lot of time and funds to follow this team and want them to succeed too. There is just a level of decorum that I personally adhere to but that doesn't mean that I don't get riled up at games (never mind the drive home 😳 like last years UML UMass or the gulp UMaine home game) Am enjoying the experience and if my glasses tend toward the blue and white tint well so be it...😉
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I cannot remember who used the term "talentless plugger," but I do not consider the word plugger derogatory or belittling. To me a plugger is a hard-working, blue collar, lunch box kind of player. In hockey terms, that may mean a player who has a lot of energy, plays hurt, goes into the corners and the other dirty areas, and in general shows up and plays hard every night. Talentless, on the other hand, in hockey terms, means cannot score goals, which to me is the primary objective of the game. From a talent standpoint, this year's seniors have not shown that they can score goals (33 total for the six players over the past three years). So, I think that the term talentless pluggers is a pretty accurate description of this year's seniors. Terms such as lazy, lacking heart, no desire, does not show up ready to play, etc., would be belittling, and these are not terms that have been used, from what I can recall. Part of the reason that I love watching hockey more than any other sport is that I am in awe of people who can skate AND handle the puck with a stick, pass the puck tape to tape, back check, forecheck, and score goals if possible. The talent that we see on the ice, in my view, is directly determined by the coaching staff, from good recruiting to good teaching in practice.
        Last edited by Snively65; 05-03-2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Ok so been thinking about the past few posts as I've soaked up the Fla sun...and am heading home to hopefully better weather than I left. Deleted my last post coz it dawned on me that I don't have to skate on both sides of the ice and it's no secret where my loyalties lie. I'm one of those 'new' posters who apparently don't have much to say anyway so here goes...
          Please explain to me how calling players like our current Senior class "talentless pluggers" isn't belittling them? I mean heck this is just a message board where one can say whatever you want so have at it but please...don't say comments like that aren't of a belittling nature!
          Oh and when one of our graduating Seniors was called a "wiff" if I have that right...
          Post whatever you like but at least get real about what you post. Or follow a team who's got it all together. End of rant. Have at it.
          You sayin' the 'cats don't have it together?
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I cannot remember who used the term "talentless plugger," but I do not consider the word plugger derogatory or belittling. To me a plugger is a hard-working, blue collar, lunch box kind of player. In hockey terms, that may mean a player who has a lot of energy, plays hurt, goes into the corners and the other dirty areas, and in general shows up and plays hard every night. Talentless, on the other hand, in hockey terms, means cannot score score goals, which to me is the primary objective of the the game. From a talent standpoint, this year's seniors have not that shown that they can score goals (33 total for the six players over the past three years). So, I think that the term talentless pluggers is a pretty accurate description of this year's seniors. Terms such as lazy, lacking heart, no desire, does not show up ready to play, etc., would be belittling, and these are not terms that have been used, from what I can recall. Part of the reason that I love watching hockey more than any other sport is that I am in awe of people who can skate AND handle the puck with a stick, pass the puck tape to tape, back check, forecheck, and score goals if possible. The talent that we see on the ice, in my view, is directly determined by the coaching staff, from good recruiting to good teaching in practice.
            Agreed on plugger, not on talentless.

First off, I think we all agree that we are talking about players on the ice not the people they are in society and that at this level they are open to criticism. When a (non-UNH) football receiver drops a pass, a (non-UNH) hockey player misses an open net, I often scream "Cut him!" at the TV. I jokingly mean from the team, not college or the human race.

Next, talentless. From thefreedictionary.com:

talentless - devoid of talent; not gifted

If used to mean "not gifted" it's one thing, essentially a plugger. Used to mean "devoid of talent" is another. Using the first definition, no player on any college hockey roster is talentless, especially relative to other college hockey players. Even compared to the best in the NHL they are not talentless. Much less talented, sure, but not talentless. They can skate, maybe not fast or quickly. They can pass and shoot, maybe not accurately. Anyone who has ever skated on a pond with a stick and puck knows they have (((some))) talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
              You sayin' the 'cats don't have it together?
              Nope. Guess I was inferring that if people are so unhappy with the current state of affairs they could choose to follow a team who, in their estimations (is that a word) do. But whatever. As far as terms used to describe the team we all have our way at looking at things. Appreciate the convo on the topic. Next.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-03-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Nope. Guess I was inferring that if people are so unhappy with the current state of affairs they could choose to follow a team who, in their estimations (is that a word) do. But whatever. As far as terms used to describe the team we all have our way at looking at things.
                = just messin' with ya! Enjoy the lovely spring day.

Comment

= just messin' with ya! Enjoy the lovely spring day.
                  Well hey at least I returned to all of the snow finally out of my back yard and only 30 or so school days left life is good!!! ☺️ Party on. Grateful it's Sunday and I have a day to recoup. I have bigger fish to fry for example have they named that Royal Baby yet?!? Inquiring minds...wanna know.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-03-2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Nope. Guess I was inferring that if people are so unhappy with the current state of affairs they could choose to follow a team who, in their estimations (is that a word) do. But whatever. As far as terms used to describe the team we all have our way at looking at things. Appreciate the convo on the topic. Next.
                    What, do you think we are (or should be) fair-weather fans? This is NOT Bandwagon Nation. #UNH4life
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Agreed on plugger, not on talentless.

First off, I think we all agree that we are talking about players on the ice not the people they are in society and that at this level they are open to criticism. When a (non-UNH) football receiver drops a pass, a (non-UNH) hockey player misses an open net, I often scream "Cut him!" at the TV. I jokingly mean from the team, not college or the human race.

Next, talentless. From thefreedictionary.com:

talentless - devoid of talent; not gifted

If used to mean "not gifted" it's one thing, essentially a plugger. Used to mean "devoid of talent" is another. Using the first definition, no player on any college hockey roster is talentless, especially relative to other college hockey players. Even compared to the best in the NHL they are not talentless. Much less talented, sure, but not talentless. They can skate, maybe not fast or quickly. They can pass and shoot, maybe not accurately. Anyone who has ever skated on a pond with a stick and puck knows they have (((some))) talent.
                      Ok, I am fine substituting less talented for talentless; I was going with the term that was used earlier. And, I originally qualified the term as only applying to hockey in my post, for the very reasons you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        What, do you think we are (or should be) fair-weather fans? This is NOT Bandwagon Nation. #UNH4life
                        Heck no! I'd be very disappointed in you if that happened...I've been accused of that myself once and it was, in a word, devastating.

Comment

Heck no! I'd be very disappointed in you if that happened...I've been accused of that myself once and it was, in a word, devastating.
                          May I suggest the following concerning what you may be running into with respect to reactions from other posters (including silently me until now) ......

When one takes a position of "being on the side of the angels" .... then it renders others as being not as "caring" ....

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                            May I suggest the following concerning what you may be running into with respect to reactions from other posters (including silently me until now) ......

When one takes a position of "being on the side of the angels" .... then it renders others as being not as "caring" ....
                            "I may be on the side of angels but don't think for one minute that I am one of them ." 😉

Thanks. I don't view my fellow posters as an uncaring lot au contrair I know many here do care about this team very much. That being said on occassion I have issues with the way things and players are discussed but that's my thing. I do not believe this team is above commentary as I have said. There's work to be done on many fronts . I am not blind to those facts.

Not that I have to or should have to qualify my post that started this convo I wanted to give UNH 1932's post support (not that they need it). Sometimes it seems like anyone who speaks up favorably to the team or defends the team is "clueless" or "doesn't get it". But I can handle my cheerleader moniker so no worries. I mean heck you saw the Pom pom it does exist haha!

I am not going to apologize that I find terms like "talented less pluggers" disrespectful. Nope that's how I feel it's no different than that poster who said it right to say it. Now if you want to say our PP is pathetic well sure I would agree on occasion that it is !! 😳

I realize I took a risk in my post. I've learned so much here about the team and its past and hope to continue to do so. Appreciate the wisdom and insight from many of you here.

Over and out... Note to self : maybe things are better left unsaid. Moving on.
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I realize I took a risk in my post.
                              Nothing wrong with that. Wish folks would do it more often, actually. This place is always better when there is an honest - not contrived - edge to the dialogue.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

I am not going to apologize that I find terms like "talented less pluggers" disrespectful. Nope that's how I feel it's no different than that poster who said it right to say it. Now if you want to say our PP is pathetic well sure I would agree on occasion that it is !! 😳
                                Whoaaa, I cannot agree that our PP is pathetic, not last year anyway. We were fifth best in Hockey East, and 2% points better than the National Champions, besides beating them 3 out of 5 games, lest we forget. :-)

But, back to the coming year's senior class. How about "goal-scoring-challenged players" instead of "talentless pluggers"? A little research reveals the last time that an incoming senior class had fewer than 33 goals was in 2005-2006. That senior class included D-man Brian Yandle, who racked up 23 goals his first three seasons, and Andrew Leach, who scored 2 goals his freshmen year, and that was it, for a total of 27 goals.

Just trying to keep things edgy here. :-)
                                Last edited by Snively65; 05-05-2015, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X