This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Speaking of which ... has NICC been *invited* out of our league yet, and if not, what's the wait?
    Have to wait one more year until Arizona State can join the NCHC.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Mike Souza promoted to associate head coach at UConn

Mike Ayers at BC

Ciocco at Alaska-Anchorage, correct?

Have Umile retire and bring in all three together

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Mike Souza promoted to associate head coach at UConn

Mike Ayers at BC

Ciocco at Alaska-Anchorage, correct?

Have Umile retire and bring in all three together
        If they go the alum route, I'm thinking Glenn Stewart might have a leg up on the top job at this point.

I'd still like to see Foley get a shot at UNH someday, and it would be nice to see Ayers back too.

Souza will be interesting. He's the closest right now to a top job, and depending upon the timing of when the UNH job opens up, and how well he is doing down at Storrs, it could boil down to Souza vs. Stewart.

IF they do go the alum route.

Otherwise, it's wide open. Maybe we can kick Coach Umile upstairs to take BS35+2's job??
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          If they go the alum route, I'm thinking Glenn Stewart might have a leg up on the top job at this point.

I'd still like to see Foley get a shot at UNH someday, and it would be nice to see Ayers back too.

Souza will be interesting. He's the closest right now to a top job, and depending upon the timing of when the UNH job opens up, and how well he is doing down at Storrs, it could boil down to Souza vs. Stewart.

Otherwise, it's wide open. Maybe we can kick Coach Umile upstairs to take BS35+2's job??

Souza is doing well. Cant though imagine the list will not include some very high end guys. Wouldn't see either of these two getting the job, think Lowell/PC

Great job to walk into as guy who does finally win it all will be a hero.

Just think if they had the brains to get guys like Vechionne

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I think you are correct, HR, need to win OOC games, regardless of PWR. Last season, UNH record against this year's OOC teams was 3-7-1, which if repeated will not lead to a NCAA post-season. In the past, I have argued that our OOC opponents were too good, which led to UNH losing most of those games, so i will continue to make that argument. There are plenty of HEA teams with higher PWR than UNH, so need to win those, too.
            Reasonable minds can differ, and obviously there is no right or wrong answer. However I find that line of thinking to be a bit counterintuitive.

The goal of all those associated with the program is to win a national championship, yet we need a softer schedule? Maybe I'm old school but I believe that to be the best you have to beat the best. Just don't see the logic in dumbing down the schedule. (I know its fashionable to bash the current state of the UNH athletic department, but putting all that aside the program can use all the revenue it can get, and only the sycophants/footie pajama wearing types are going to pony up money to watch those Division 1 imposters.)

The fact of the matter is that if UNH wants to get back to the NCAAs the path is easy: get better and win more games. Again, I'm in the minority, but I hate the current system, where nearly 30 percent of the Division 1 teams make the tourney. We make fun of Hockey East for its "swing til you hit" post season structure, but the national tourney isn't all that much better. IMHO, no deserving team has missed the NCAA ice hockey tournament. If you don't make it its because you ain't good enough. Its that simple.

Your last point about PWR and HE is spot on. Lets not forget that with the changes in the league there are now five fewer games against HE opponents. Even in the so-called "down years" a couple games against BC, BU, etc would probably help the pairwise. So the cream puff schedule is a double whammy.

Then again, maybe one of the marketing gurus in the Field House can sell the naming rights for the non-conference schedule to Hostess Cupcakes.
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Please just keep Umile OFF the selection committee .... otherwise you will get your wish on Foley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                Then again, maybe one of the marketing gurus in the Field House can sell the naming rights for the non-conference schedule to Hostess Cupcakes.
                I thought Hostess was bought out and renamed? But, I get the point, although as I noted above, we were 3-7-1 against some of these cupcakes last year, and we are losing a lot of scoring to graduation this coming year. At this point, I think that wins against bad teams would be more helpful than losses against good teams, but of course losses against bad teams would be, ah, really bad.

My guess is that half of these 12 OOC games are essentially "contractual" (Maine (2), Michigan State (2), Dartmouth, and Union). Of the others, UVM has not been a cupcake the past few years, especially for UNH, and neither has been St Lawrence, assuming that their frosh goalie is still there? Unfortunately, Clarkson comes as a travel package deal with St Lawrence. RPI had an awful PWR last year, but managed to beat us. So, that leaves the two "imposter" AHA teams, although Bentley had a better PWR than UNH for most of last season until the final three weeks when UNH caught some fire and the Falcons flew south.

Another observation about the OOC schedule for next year is that it will contain costs, with probably eight of the 12 games at home, and only one long road trip to East Lansing (no road trip to NICC this year, which should please Agent 29). Maybe BS35+2 can use these cost savings as a down payment for a jumbotron?

Comment

2015-16
                  So.Eiserman -- So. Poturalski - Jr.Kelleher
                  So.Foegele -- So.McNicholas - Sr.Correale
                  Sr.Smith---Fr.Blackburn -- Fr.Vela
                  So.Salvaggio -- Fr.Nazarian --Sr.Gaudreault
                  Fr.Kalinowski -- Sr.Hill -- Sr.MacDonald
                  Jr.Bourque - Fr.Miller --Fr.Cefalu
                  D
                  Jr.Cleland -- Fr.Masonius
                  Jr.Maller --- So.Marks
                  So.Furgele -- Sr.Quast
                  So.Chanter --So.Boyd

2016-17
                  Jr.Eiserman - Jr. Poturalski - Sr.Kelleher
                  Jr.Foegele -- So.Blackburn -- So.Vela
                  So.Nazarian--Jr.McNicholas - Fr.Grasso
                  Jr.Salvaggio -- Fr.BVR --Fr.C.Kelleher
                  So.Kalinowski --Fr.Fregona-- So.Miller
                  Sr.Bourque -- So.Cefalu

D
                  Sr.Cleland -- So.Masonius
                  Sr.Maller --- Jr.Marks
                  Jr.Furgele -- Jr.Chanter
                  Jr.Boyd -- Fr.Darcy
                  Fr.Nonis

2017-18
                  Sr. Eiserman - Sr. Poturalski -- Jr.Vela
                  Sr.Foegele -- Jr.Blackburn - Jr.Nazarian
                  So.BVR--Sr.McNicholas -- So.C.Kelleher
                  Sr.Salvaggio --So.Grasso -- So.Fregona
                  Jr.Kalinowski - Fr.Cipollone -- Fr.J.O'Neill
                  Jr.Cefalu---Jr.Miller -- Fr.A.O'Neill

D
                  Fr.Ryczek -- Jr.Masonius
                  Fr. _______--- Sr.Marks
                  Sr.Furgele -- Sr.Chanter
                  Sr.Boyd -- So.Darcy
                  So.Nonis

2018-19
                  Sr.Nazarian -- Sr.Blackburn - Sr.Vela
                  Jr.BVR- Jr.C.Kelleher--Jr.Fregona
                  Fr.Farabee-- So.J.O'Neill --Jr.Grasso
                  Fr.____ -So.Cipollone-- Fr.Esposito
                  Sr.Kalinowski--Sr.Miller -- So.A.O'Neill
                  Sr.Cefalu-

D
                  So.Ryczek -- Sr.Masonius
                  So. _______--- Fr.____
                  Jr.Darcy---- Fr._____
                  Fr.______ ---Jr.Nonis
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

'Watcher I like the pairings and team alignments, thanks for putting that together. I'm assuming that you are putting the best out front but that we all recognize Coach has a penchant for playing his older boys initially...sure hope that those Seniors (and I believe there is great talent there, despite what most think here ) realize that those newbies are just a few skates away as they get their D1 legs under them! UNH cannot afford to be figuring it out come January and I know there's always a lot of flux. Gotta get back into the NCAA limelight in the next two seasons for the program's sake..

Felger agree that playing more HE games would be beneficial to the PW; Coach U lamented this fact a couple of seasons ago when that all changed. Looks like with the current schedule that UNH has no choice but to be dominant in HE to make it into a position to compete NCAA wise. And, WIN those OOC games, even Bently, sorry Snively65!!! Should be an interesting year and I've cleared my officiating schedule already. Gonna lose money so it better be worth it, HA! Let the games begin...
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      'Watcher I like the pairings and team alignments, thanks for putting that together. I'm assuming that you are putting the best out front but that we all recognize Coach has a penchant for playing his older boys initially...sure hope that those Seniors (and I believe there is great talent there, despite what most think here ) realize that those newbies are just a few skates away as they get their D1 legs under them! UNH cannot afford to be figuring it out come January and I know there's always a lot of flux. Gotta get back into the NCAA limelight in the next two seasons for the program's sake..

Felger agree that playing more HE games would be beneficial to the PW; Coach U lamented this fact a couple of seasons ago when that all changed. Looks like with the current schedule that UNH has no choice but to be dominant in HE to make it into a position to compete NCAA wise. And, WIN those OOC games, even Bently, sorry Snively65!!! Should be an interesting year and I've cleared my officiating schedule already. Gonna lose money so it better be worth it, HA! Let the games begin...
                      Hill will play

If Hill didnt play in any games in 12/13 couldnt he play 2 more years?
                      Last edited by Hokydad; 04-25-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        Hill will play

Yes - for the purposes of hockey, Jamie Hill is in the same class as Kelleher, Cleland, Maller, and Bourque.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

and if unh doesnt use he can go play anywhere with no wait as grad exception

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Hill will play

I would agree with that and believe Dan C will as well...Fun fact! Today we find out who's gonna lead the team as tonight is the hockey banquet!!! Here are my guesses:
                            Dan C or Harry Q Capt
                            Ty K and Matius (sp) C get the A's...
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              I think you are correct, HR, need to win OOC games, regardless of PWR. Last season, UNH record against this year's OOC teams was 3-7-1, which if repeated will not lead to a NCAA post-season. In the past, I have argued that our OOC opponents were too good, which led to UNH losing most of those games, so i will continue to make that argument. There are plenty of HEA teams with higher PWR than UNH, so need to win those, too.

UNH 29t PWR
                              AIC 59
                              St Lawrence 21t
                              Clarkson 44
                              Union 28 (0-1 last year)
                              Mich State 31t (1-1)
                              RPI 46 (0-1)
                              Bentley 41
                              Maine 42t (1-3)
                              Dartmouth 21t (0-0-1)
                              UVM 20 (1-1)
                              What a lackluster OOC schedule. But I will tell you I see a couple of guaranteed losses here. UNH never plays well against St. Lawrence, home or away. The only salvation is that Joe Marsh has retired so, maybe without a former Wildcat at their helm, there is a chance St. Lawrence may not be as motivated. Another one is RPI. Despite how miserable they played this past season, or in season's past, UNH never has an easy time with them. Then there is Union, with the return of Vecchione. Oh wait, he never played at UNH. And four games vs. HE opponents. Is this the end result of league expansion, playing more games against league opponents? If so, time to rejigger the schedule, perhaps with two divisions of six teams each. Play teams in your division three times, in the other division twice. That gives you 27 league games, just like HE had before, leaving only 7 OOC games to schedule. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                                What a lackluster OOC schedule. But I will tell you I see a couple of guaranteed losses here. UNH never plays well against St. Lawrence, home or away. The only salvation is that Joe Marsh has retired so, maybe without a former Wildcat at their helm, there is a chance St. Lawrence may not be as motivated. Another one is RPI. Despite how miserable they played this past season, or in season's past, UNH never has an easy time with them. Then there is Union, with the return of Vecchione. Oh wait, he never played at UNH. And four games vs. HE opponents. Is this the end result of league expansion, playing more games against league opponents? If so, time to rejigger the schedule, perhaps with two divisions of six teams each. Play teams in your division three times, in the other division twice. That gives you 27 league games, just like HE had before, leaving only 7 OOC games to schedule. Thoughts?
                                I think for UNH a couple more years from expansion we will like OOC schedules. It happened fairly quickly and some OOC schedules are setup years in advance. There really wasn't much time to get it all figured out.

That list wouldn't be that bad if it was the old 7 games - Clarkson, St. Law, Dartmouth, RPI, Union, 2x Michigan St. Feels familiar to early 2000's.
                                Last edited by JB; 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X