This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

If we can only get the buzz back for UNH Hockey, fill up the seats regularly, and generate a waiting list like a decade ago, can we start the "Add a balcony to The Whitt" discussions again? I miss those ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      I love that Agganis was built with the bowl as steep as building code would allow. My understanding is that was a Parker thing and if it was he was absolutely right, hockey is best when the bowl is steep and the fans are on top of the game.
      The story I heard and am sticking with is Parker wanted a modern Matthews with no obstructed seats. The cost for an arena including a no support poles balcony was too much so they went with steep.
      Last edited by Darius; 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        If we can only get the buzz back for UNH Hockey, fill up the seats regularly, and generate a waiting list like a decade ago, can we start the "Add a balcony to The Whitt" discussions again? I miss those ...
        Right after the "Add a quality video screen to The Whitt" discussions. Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I do not disagree about Jeremy Jacobs always being a hotdog salesman (I think that is where the majority of profits lie in all of these sports facilities), but John Henry is the majority owner of the Red Sox by a huge margin (maybe not quite 50%, but close?), and in 2006 spent millions rebuilding a mansion in Boston (I am assuming that he lives there at least some of the time).
          And your point is? That John Henry is super rich, has a trophy wife who is so young that, at Lynnfield HS, she was a year ahead of the daughter of a friend of mine, and that he has the bucks to tear down one mansion and build another? Never a fan of conspicuous consumption, which Henry does in spades (remember he had the yacht) but the point is that he, Werner, and Lucchino hired people to improve the park and improve the immediate area surrounding the park. This commitment was good for the Sox, good for the fans, and good for the City of Boston. Jacobs, on the other hand, never had a vision beyond squeezing every last dime out the Garden until it was literally falling apart. Just think what the Garden area would look like now if Jacobs had something on his mind besides making a buck. The Bruins might have won a couple of Cups, the Garden would have been palatable until a new one was built, and the Causeway St. area would not be as rundown as it is, even today.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
            Just think what the Garden area would look like now if Jacobs had something on his mind besides making a buck. The Bruins might have won a couple of Cups, the Garden would have been palatable until a new one was built, and the Causeway St. area would not be as rundown as it is, even today.
            The really sad part is Causeway St. doesn't seem so run down anymore... which tells you how bad it used to be.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Right after the "Add a quality video screen to The Whitt" discussions. Get in line.
              The screen is the big thing for me, especially after seeing the monstrosity that PC has. Unfortunately it ain't going to happen now that King Football has made its way to Durham. No money for improvements at the Whit unless some big shot, hopefully not like Tyco's Dennis Kozlowski, ponies up the money.

Comment

"The Buzz" ..... If only .........

I cannot express how much I would enjoy (and yes benefit from) getting the buzz back. Reading the posts the last few weeks can only be described as a "walk back in time." I am actually looking forward to the weekend. However, my experience is akin to being on a three person rope team that is ascending a route that skirts a large crevasse .... been there done that. I'll take the experience and be larger as a function of it .... however, the summit looks more and more to be further away.

I'm all "growed up" now and the NCAA summit is less important to me .... but it still tugs at my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  The really sad part is Causeway St. doesn't seem so run down anymore... which tells you how bad it used to be.
                  But it is. If you are standing on the Garden side of the street and look across, it still looks pretty tired an worn. The Haven, which was a real derelict bar back in the day, is gone, but the Penalty Box and Half Time Pizza remain and they were there back in the Bobby Orr/John Havlicek days. I know folks are entitled to make a living but this area is one of the more frequented by out-of-towners. It should be better.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                    "The Buzz" ..... If only .........

I cannot express how much I would enjoy (and yes benefit from) getting the buzz back. Reading the posts the last few weeks can only be described as a "walk back in time." I am actually looking forward to the weekend. However, my experience is akin to being on a three person rope team that is ascending a route that skirts a large crevasse .... been there done that. I'll take the experience and be larger as a function of it .... however, the summit looks more and more to be further away.

I'm all "growed up" now and the NCAA summit is less important to me .... but it still tugs at my thoughts.
                    NCAA championship still means a lot to me, not saying it doesn't to you. The ironic thing is that if UNH does get rejuvenated, I think they have a better opportunity to win. The overall level of play in college is nowhere what it was 15 years ago, one hit wonders seem to be copping banners the last few years (Yale and Union) so, in the immortal words of Curt Schilling, "who not us." Now, is it going to happen on Umile's watch? Personally, I would love to see HIM behind the bench when we win, he deserves it. But I am realistic enough to think it might take another individual to put us over the hump. But I do think it is possible, not immediately, but sooner rather than way later.

Comment

And your point is? That John Henry is super rich, has a trophy wife who is so young that, at Lynnfield HS, she was a year ahead of the daughter of a friend of mine, and that he has the bucks to tear down one mansion and build another? Never a fan of conspicuous consumption, which Henry does in spades (remember he had the yacht) but the point is that he, Werner, and Lucchino hired people to improve the park and improve the immediate area surrounding the park. This commitment was good for the Sox, good for the fans, and good for the City of Boston. Jacobs, on the other hand, never had a vision beyond squeezing every last dime out the Garden until it was literally falling apart. Just think what the Garden area would look like now if Jacobs had something on his mind besides making a buck. The Bruins might have won a couple of Cups, the Garden would have been palatable until a new one was built, and the Causeway St. area would not be as rundown as it is, even today.
                      Fenway and the area was updated, renovated, was good for the fans, Sox, etc. AND Henry is making a buck. I wish Jacobs could have managed a Fenway style update for the old Garden. Probably not his fault given what he had to work with, but still.

Ironic the thread title and current discussion topic, eh? It gets me thinking of another story when a buddy and I did some serious pre-gaming before a HEA final. I think it was 1993. Exiting Sully's, a neon Liqour sign called to us like a beacon so we entered the Garden with contraband. Memories are a bit hazy, but I recall a puck landing in my friends lap. Seemed funny at the time.
                      Last edited by Darius; 03-18-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

It was a dump, but I would take the old place back in a minute over the replacement building. If Agganis somehow added a balcony, it would be about as close as a modern building could come to the old place. It is no surprise my two favorite buildings in HE are Mathews and Agganis. Like the Garden, they were built primarily for hockey, and it shows.
                        Actually Chuck, the Arena was built for boxing, not hockey. That's why you can't see half the ice from the back rows of the balcony except in the end zone. And you may not have been to either one but the best new arenas for hockey, no surprise, are in Minnesota with the Xcel Center and Mariucci.

Comment

The screen is the big thing for me, especially after seeing the monstrosity that PC has. Unfortunately it ain't going to happen now that King Football has made its way to Durham. No money for improvements at the Whit unless some big shot, hopefully not like Tyco's Dennis Kozlowski, ponies up the money.
                          Positive or negative monstrosity? Did they install a really high quality monster size screen? It is all about quality for me. I'd rather be without than with a low quality screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Fenway and the area was updated, renovated, was good for the fans, Sox, etc. AND Henry is making a buck. I wish Jacobs could have managed a Fenway style update for the old Garden. Probably not his fault given what he had to work with, but still.

Ironic the thread title and current discussion topic, eh? It gets me thinking of another story when a buddy and I did some serious pre-gaming before a HEA final. I think it was 1993. Exiting Sully's, a neon Liqour sign called to us like a beacon so we entered the Garden with contraband. Memories are a bit hazy, but I recall a puck landing in my friends lap. Seemed funny at the time.
                            Sully's was our watering hole back in the day. One night a bunch of us got there early before a concert, must have been around 4. We walk in and standing at the end of the bar are Wayne Cashman and John Frosty Forristal (he was the B's equipment guy in their glory days) getting plastered on 16 oz Knickerbockers. I remember Cash wearing this hideous patched leather jacket. Back then hockey players really knew how to dress. Sully's is still pretty good, especially with the fake butcher block which is a real nice touch.

Comment

Actually Chuck, the Arena was built for boxing, not hockey. That's why you can't see half the ice from the back rows of the balcony except in the end zone. And you may not have been to either one but the best new arenas for hockey, no surprise, are in Minnesota with the Xcel Center and Mariucci.
                              The best old renovated I've been in is Yost.

Turning back to the present, does anyone seriously think we beat BU this weekend? I would not be shocked given our recent play, but I would be surprised.
                              Last edited by Darius; 03-18-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Sully's was our watering hole back in the day. One night a bunch of us got there early before a concert, must have been around 4. We walk in and standing at the end of the bar are Wayne Cashman and John Frosty Forristal (he was the B's equipment guy in their glory days) getting plastered on 16 oz Knickerbockers. I remember Cash wearing this hideous patched leather jacket. Back then hockey players really knew how to dress. Sully's is still pretty good, especially with the fake butcher block which is a real nice touch.
                                OK one more... we hit Sully's and Halftime before and after just about every C's game. When we beat the Lakers in '84 me and my half dozen to 15,000+ friends, were partying in the streets. Guys I knew who didn't have tickets or go to the game were there. No fires, trashed cop cars, just frivolity. Whenever we needed a beer we'd walk into Sully's and order "12 Buds, 12 Bud Lights", they'd hand us a case and out the door we'd walk.

BTW, had I run into a plastered Cash back then, my instinct would have been to steer clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X