PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Felger
05-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Hahaha bring it...I'll even put on my pink hat while shaking my finger at those two...:D

Did any of you happen to hear the woman from West Roxbury yesterday? The one that said she would punch Felger in the face if she ever ran into him on the street? HockeyRef was the first thing that came to my mind, and I must confess was part of the inspiration for my idea.:cool:

JB
05-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Did any of you happen to hear the woman from West Roxbury yesterday? The one that said she would punch Felger in the face if she ever ran into him on the street? HockeyRef was the first thing that came to my mind, and I must confess was part of the inspiration for my idea.:cool:

I was working from home, can't get 98.5 to come in so had the tv on. Stepped into the room when it was going on, there faces were priceless, they were really enjoying her take.

NCAA watcher
05-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately Kawaguchi didn't hear about the scoreboard in time.

Snively65
05-30-2015, 11:32 AM

Absolutely, Felger, which is what led me to reply as I did here, that along with "squeaky Mazz." A Friday "Mad Murray" rant will be an excellent way to conclude your show each week. :-)

C-H-C
05-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately Kawaguchi didn't hear about the scoreboard in time.

So a 5'8" forward who scored 17 fewer points than Liam Blackburn in the BCHL last season and was drafted 153th overall in the 2015 USHL draft commits to the National Champion and you see that as proof that a jumbotron won't help UNH's ability to recruit top prospects? That's a bit of a stretch.

NCAA watcher
05-30-2015, 02:50 PM
So a 5'8" forward who scored 17 fewer points than Liam Blackburn in the BCHL last season and was drafted 153th overall in the 2015 USHL draft commits to the National Champion and you see that as proof that a jumbotron won't help UNH's ability to recruit top prospects? That's a bit of a stretch.

Or, as one could look at it, scored 11 more goals and 13 more points in their comparable age 17 seasons (Or 16 more points than Grayson Downing in his age 17 season) ;) Sort of kid UNH always used to get over Providence, but winning an NC with a young coach will reverse that pretty quick -- Jumbletron or no jumbletron.

C-H-C
05-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Or, as one could look at it, scored 11 more goals and 13 more points in their comparable age 17 seasons (Or 16 more points than Grayson Downing in his age 17 season) ;) Sort of kid UNH always used to get over Providence, but winning an NC with a young coach will reverse that pretty quick -- Jumbletron or no jumbletron.

Kawaguchi is going to Providence in the 2016-17 season. UNH will be losing four forwards to graduation at the end of the 2015-16 season - MacDonald, Correale, Smith, and Gaudreault (Hill has two more years of eligibility). At the start of the 2016-17 season, UNH will have 13 returning forwards - Foegele, Hill, Salvaggio, McNicholas, Eiserman, Kelleher, Poturalski, Bourque, Nazarian, Vela, Kalinowski, Miller and Cefalu. There are three UNH recruits who play forward and will be coming to Durham in the Fall of 2016 - Liam Blackburn, Brendan van Riemsdyk, and Patrick Grasso. That gets the 2016-17 squad up to 16 forwards. In addition, there is a chance either Charlie Kelleher, Joey Cipollone, Justin Fregona, or Aaron O'Neill will come in the Fall of 2016. With 16 or 17 UNH forwards on the 2016-17 team, I don't see where there was any room for Kawaguchi.

When Liam Blackburn verbally committed to UNH out of the BCHL, you were quick to credit Glenn Stewart's recruiting abilities. Do you believe that Stewart went hard after Kawaguchi, even though there was no room for him in 2016.

Felger
05-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Kawaguchi is going to Providence in the 2016-17 season. UNH will be losing four forwards to graduation at the end of the 2015-16 season - MacDonald, Correale, Smith, and Gaudreault (Hill has two more years of eligibility). At the start of the 2016-17 season, UNH will have 13 returning forwards - Foegele, Hill, Salvaggio, McNicholas, Eiserman, Kelleher, Poturalski, Bourque, Nazarian, Vela, Kalinowski, Miller and Cefalu. There are three UNH recruits who play forward and will be coming to Durham in the Fall of 2016 - Liam Blackburn, Brendan van Riemsdyk, and Patrick Grasso. That gets the 2016-17 squad up to 16 forwards. In addition, there is a chance either Charlie Kelleher, Joey Cipollone, Justin Fregona, or Aaron O'Neill will come in the Fall of 2016. With 16 or 17 UNH forwards on the 2016-17 team, I don't see where there was any room for Kawaguchi.

When Liam Blackburn verbally committed to UNH out of the BCHL, you were quick to credit Glenn Stewart's recruiting abilities. Do you believe that Stewart went hard after Kawaguchi, even though there was no room for him in 2016.

Certainly not when you are holding spots for such high end talent that has combined for six career points in 53 career games.

Has Lou Gorman risen from the dead and taken over UNH hockey recruiting?

C-H-C
05-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Question for UNH hockey fans who regularly attend games at the Whittemore Center and catch the occasional game at other Hockey East venues. With the addition of a center-ice jumbotron and new video scoreboard at the end of the arena, can you name some Hockey East and/or ECAC arenas that offer a more up-to-date game experience than the Whitt? I think the Agganis Arena is the gold standard and the TD Bank Sports Center at Quinnipiac is very impressive. But beyond those, which college hockey program in the Northeast will have a more state-of-the-art, playing facility than UNH?

A couple years ago, Josh Ciocco - former UNH captain and current University of Alaska Anchorage assistant coach and lead recruiter - came on this thread and described the importance of up-to-date facilities in recruiting talented players. Since he's the only poster that I know of who actually makes a living recruiting hockey players, I think his opinion has a lot of credibility.

Snively65
05-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Has Lou Gorman risen from the dead and taken over UNH hockey recruiting?

I was thinking the same thing, Felger: "Where would we play ______?" Lou Gorman, 1990 (yikes, 25,years ago). Great trivia question for this thread: name the all-star center fielder for whom Lou could not find a spot on the Sox roster.

C-H-C, I remember those posts from Josh Ciocco a couple of years ago; perhaps BS35+2 remembers also?

HockeyRef
05-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Question for UNH hockey fans who regularly attend games at the Whittemore Center and catch the occasional game at other Hockey East venues. With the addition of a center-ice jumbotron and new video scoreboard at the end of the arena, can you name some Hockey East and/or ECAC arenas that offer a more up-to-date game experience than the Whitt? I think the Agganis Arena is the gold standard and the TD Bank Sports Center at Quinnipiac is very impressive. But beyond those, which college hockey program in the Northeast will have a more state-of-the-art, playing facility than UNH?

A couple years ago, Josh Ciocco - former UNH captain and current University of Alaska Anchorage assistant coach and lead recruiter - came on this thread and described the importance of up-to-date facilities in recruiting talented players. Since he's the only poster that I know of who actually makes a living recruiting hockey players, I think his opinion has a lot of credibility.

After going to just about every HE venue this season (and some last, 'course, didn't go to ND :p ) I know where I'm NOT going back...just as soon watch it on TV. Enjoyed Matthews for the old style feel it had, love, love Agganis, UML is nice, I could go on. You'd expect me to say that I love it at the Whitt and yes, you would be right! Sure it's dated at , what, 20 plus years but it's still a great arena. Hoping we stay away from the blaring music that plagues a few places (some music is fine of course) and the new video boards are used well. I know some don't agree but the 'tron, seals the deal.

mookie1995
05-30-2015, 08:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Felger: "Where would we play ______?" Lou Gorman, 1990 (yikes, 25,years ago). Great trivia question for this thread: name the all-star center fielder for whom Lou could not find a spot on the Sox roster.

C-H-C, I remember those posts from Josh Ciocco a couple of years ago; perhaps BS35+2 remembers also?
That would be willie mcgee:p

Snively65
05-30-2015, 08:44 PM
That would be willie mcgee:p

Excellent, Mookie! Some of us country bumpkins up here in Cow Hampsha follow Boston's pro sports teams, too. :-)

Felger
05-30-2015, 09:08 PM

I think the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "facilities." While to the overwhelming majority of readers of this board - fans - facilities may be all about the game day experience, "facilities" probably means something much different to a potential player. It has been quite a while since I chewed the fat with any current Wildcat, but when I did back in the halcyon days of the late 90's I got to spend some time down in the bowels of the Whitt and the subject of facilities came up. Even then, when the building was just a few years old, I was told how much nicer, for the players at least, the arenas out west were, with far more amenities than in Durham.

It is important to remember that for fans the "facility" is simply about the two or three hours a week one spends there while taking in a game. But for players the facility has much broader meaning. It is a place they likely spend the majority of their time for at least six months of the year, and those couple or three hours of game time each week are merely a fraction of the overall time spent in the facility.

Perhaps you have found another question you can pose to the recruits you interview.

Chuck Murray
05-30-2015, 09:27 PM

Yay, the facility is going to look a little more modern when we see it next in October. I'm happy for those for whom these additional little gadgets will make their lives happier - fans and/or players. UNH has now officially "re-arranged the deck chairs on Titanic", and all should be blue skies and smooth sailing for the Men's Hockey program now (and let's not forget the Women's FF, which likely forced the issue, so let's give them credit here) from here on out. Let's just hope the captains of the ship utilize their mega-experiences and know-hows to navigate around those pesky icebergs. :eek:

Yes, it's his opinion. And it's also a potential handy-dandy excuse - blame everything else when Prospect A opts to go somewhere else instead of Your Place. Because if you get your guy(s) then you've done a great job. And if someone else gets your guy(s), well, then it couldn't be you and/or your boss - it's that darn pesky outdated facility without jumbotrons, replay boards, no separate player lounges, substandard carpeting in the locker room, no wifi, weight room is smelly and has peeling paint, etc. ad nauseum. Blah blah blah blah.

I'll give BS35+2 credit for this much ... he's certainly nibbling around the edges of the program these last couple of seasons, with tweaks to the staff and now to the facility. Almost like a gradual process of elimination ... next off-season's "nibble" could be fascinating ... :eek:

Felger
05-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Yes, it's his opinion. And it's also a potential handy-dandy excuse - blame everything else when Prospect A opts to go somewhere else instead of Your Place. Because if you get your guy(s) then you've done a great job. And if someone else gets your guy(s), well, then it couldn't be you and/or your boss - it's that darn pesky outdated facility without jumbotrons, replay boards, no separate player lounges, substandard carpeting in the locker room, no wifi, weight room is smelly and has peeling paint, etc. ad nauseum. Blah blah blah blah.

So glad you mentioned this aspect Chuck. The facilities argument rings a bit hollow when you look at the success of the program across the street.

Snively65
05-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Interesting to see if he gets in game 7...can't be any worse for the wear I suppose and given what the Hawks have to use for the bottom D pairs heck, bring in TvR if he's ready!!!

Blackhawks seemed to be fine with mostly two D-man pairs in their convincing 5-3 win over the Ducks in game 7 tonight, so I doubt TvR will be given the opportunity to get injured again in the Cup finals. But, good that he is practicing with the team, as these veterans know what it takes to win in the postseason. Really glad that an original six team got to the finals.

HockeyRef
05-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Blackhawks seemed to be fine with mostly two D-man pairs in their convincing 5-3 win over the Ducks in game 7 tonight, so I doubt TvR will be given the opportunity to get injured again in the Cup finals. But, good that he is practicing with the team, as these veterans know what it takes to win in the postseason. Really glad that an original six team got to the finals.

This is pretty cool; has any UNH alum ever been on a team that went to the SC Finals? Even if he doesn't skate he'd still get a ring, am I correct? You know, things like rings are very important to us pink hats haha :eek: Wonder how that convo will go around the vR fam... ;) Here's hoping JvR is next in line...

HockeyRef
05-31-2015, 10:24 AM
So glad you mentioned this aspect Chuck. The facilities argument rings a bit hollow when you look at the success of the program across the street.

I'm glad the football team has had the success they've had; am planning on going to a game or two this season. And yep, that new stadium is deserving and will make a difference to potential recruits. Still, have to say, the men's hockey team has had equal success, maybe not in recent years in the w/l column...but we've managed to make it to the Garden the past 2 years to the surprise of many. Back to the NCAA's, tho...is the next step. Thinking that's a couple of seasons away but you never know. Here's hoping....

ps FWIW dept not sure a facility is the 'be all and end all' to recruiting success (not that anyone here has said that). UNH is going to lose out every time to a kid like Eichel who wants the Boston experience, the Bean Pot, etc. jumbo trons or none. We do ok I think... ;)

pps...WHEN is our schedule coming out???

Snively65
05-31-2015, 12:26 PM
TvR will not get a ring unless the Blackhawks can beat the Lightning, of course. But, they sure looked good last night. I was really disappointed in the 'original six' Rangers.

Not sure when HEA schedules come out, but now that the OOC games and four games with Maine are scheduled, you can pretty much guess the remaining HEA games, home and away, based on the past few years.