This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
    The new Garden opened in 1994. In that 20+ years the Jacobs family has done jack to spruce up the area. Contrast the state of Causeway Street, which could be a great boulevard with great choices for food and drink, with the area around Fenway Park. Now some say that John Henry et al have overrun the area but the expansion of business on Brookline Ave., Boylston St., and Lansdowne St. since Henry took over in 2002 (that's 13 years) is nothing short of amazing. The Fens used to be dark and dingy just like the area around the Garden, full of old warehouses, cheap bars, gas stations and parking lots. Causeway and the general Garden area is still rundown. If you stand at the Flying Bobby statue and look across the street, you can tell how dingy the area still is. Taking down the elevated should have been a catalyst for immediate improvements, with the major landowner in the area, Jeremy Jacobs, taking the lead.Now, like Henry, he couldn't and wouldn't want to do alone, but he could have and should have been a major investor. And as far as the nothing area in front of the new Garden, he's owned that since he bought the old Garden in the '70's. Frankly he should be embarrassed that he's done nothing with the parcel until now. Jacobs has always had the reputation as a cheap owner (only the salary cap era has saved the Bruins) and nothing says it more than the conditions around his neighborhood. Once a hot dog salesman, always a hot dog salesman.
    At least in part a consequence of out-of-town ownership, I think.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      At least in part a consequence of out-of-town ownership, I think.
      John Henry and Tom Werner were out of towners as well, Werner still is. But when they bought the Sox they looked for ways to maximize their investment beyond the product on the field. In the 13 years they have owned the team, the park and the area surrounding Fenway has improved dramatically. On the other hand, Jacobs bought the Garden and the Bruins in, I think, 1975. In the almost 20 years after that he did little to improve the Garden let alone the general area surrounding it. I had season tickets to the Celtics from 1981-1993 and I can give you countless examples of what a dump the place was. When Jacobs finally decided to build the new Garden (a vanilla arena if there ever was one), he not only did not encourage development in the Causeway St. area in general, but he did nothing to develop the huge parcel of land where the old Garden was. The man had and has zero vision.

Anecdotally, I have one memory of Jacobs that gives you the measure of the man. At the speech making before the Bruins parade in 2011 he got up on the podium and, after giving Cam Neely for some unknown reason a gratuitous shot on how he never won a Cup (thanks, btw, to Jacobs' parsimonious ways), he proceeded to talk about the advice he got from the other Boston owners in advance of the parade. Except that, save Kraft, he couldn't remember the names of these owners, including Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck who is the major tenant in his building. Like I said, once a hot dog salesman, always a hot dog salesman. Hopefully his son Charlie, who whiffed the first time he was put out in public, will be do a better job.

Comment

John Henry and Tom Werner were out of towners as well, Werner still is. But when they bought the Sox they looked for ways to maximize their investment beyond the product on the field. In the 13 years they have owned the team, the park and the area surrounding Fenway has improved dramatically. On the other hand, Jacobs bought the Garden and the Bruins in, I think, 1975. In the almost 20 years after that he did little to improve the Garden let alone the general area surrounding it. I had season tickets to the Celtics from 1981-1993 and I can give you countless examples of what a dump the place was. When Jacobs finally decided to build the new Garden (a vanilla arena if there ever was one), he not only did not encourage development in the Causeway St. area in general, but he did nothing to develop the huge parcel of land where the old Garden was. The man had and has zero vision.

Anecdotally, I have one memory of Jacobs that gives you the measure of the man. At the speech making before the Bruins parade in 2011 he got up on the podium and, after giving Cam Neely for some unknown reason a gratuitous shot on how he never won a Cup (thanks, btw, to Jacobs' parsimonious ways), he proceeded to talk about the advice he got from the other Boston owners in advance of the parade. Except that, save Kraft, he couldn't remember the names of these owners, including Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck who is the major tenant in his building. Like I said, once a hot dog salesman, always a hot dog salesman. Hopefully his son Charlie, who whiffed the first time he was put out in public, will be do a better job.
        but it was OUR dump!
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
          Having watched most of the year online and TV, the stands never were more than 2/3 full but a couple of times....tickets could be had for $11....we're talking UNH hockey here! So well done Umi, Scott, and Stewy!! Enjoy the journey.....
          They might have had a ticket deal here or there, but don't think tickets have been consistently available at $11 (?)
          I've made 7 home games this season, which is the least # for me since the 2000 season. Part of the reason is that I have trouble justifying spending ~$20 a ticket when we're struggling when I was paying almost the same when we were regularly contending for a national championship. The other part is 'get off my lawn you d@mn kids', I just worked all day and I'm tired - much easier to flip on WBIN.
          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-18-2015, 10:17 AM.
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            but it was OUR dump!
            Agree that there is nothing like the sight lines if you were sitting first row of the balcony in the corners. It was the ultimate hockey viewing seat. But everything else about the place reeked of the '50's - cigarette smoke all over the place, guys puking in the mens room, fights up in the third balcony. It could be a rough place to be, especially on fight night (Thursday, in the stands) at Bruins games. I'll tell one story. When I had Celtics tickets, there was a loud speaker right above were our seats were. Early in one of the seasons the sound coming out of it was completely distorted and loud. One of my seatmates stuffed some newspaper in the speaker to blunt the sound. And there it stayed for the entire season.

Comment

I do not disagree about Jeremy Jacobs always being a hotdog salesman (I think that is where the majority of profits lie in all of these sports facilities), but John Henry is the majority owner of the Red Sox by a huge margin (maybe not quite 50%, but close?), and in 2006 spent millions rebuilding a mansion in Boston (I am assuming that he lives there at least some of the time).

Comment

Not a big fan of what has transpired in Durham. No thought of the scale of buildings either on Main St., Madbury Rd or the general area.
                +2

Of course, you could argue UNH started it with The Mills. Rumor has it a wrecking ball is finally headed for the lower quad. Afraid to see what kind of monstrosity they put there.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  Okay. Got my tix. Club 37, row B, seats 14 & 15.

For those who don't know, you can call the Whitt at 603-862-4000 for tix!
                  Snooze, I lose; tickets from the Whitt are sold out.

So, I picked up a ticket for seat 14, row 17, Loge 12. I will try to arrive in time for part of the UVM-UML game, and buy Jeremy Jacobs' hot dogs for supper (just kidding, I am a vegetarian). We can keep in touch via electronic devices about mid-period rendezvous.

Comment

Agree that there is nothing like the sight lines if you were sitting first row of the balcony in the corners. It was the ultimate hockey viewing seat. But everything else about the place reeked of the '50's - cigarette smoke all over the place, guys puking in the mens room, fights up in the third balcony. It could be a rough place to be, especially on fight night (Thursday, in the stands) at Bruins games. I'll tell one story. When I had Celtics tickets, there was a loud speaker right above were our seats were. Early in one of the seasons the sound coming out of it was completely distorted and loud. One of my seatmates stuffed some newspaper in the speaker to blunt the sound. And there it stayed for the entire season.
                    Here's another. I had C's tix at the same time. The row behind us had 3 - 4 seats, room for an additional 1 or 2. A SRO season ticket holder found (smuggled?) a folding chair, set it up and sat behind us. After each game he folded the chair and placed it on top of the (definitely not AC) duct just behind him. He did this for years.

I have many great sport and concert memories in that building. People sneaking in fire doors, different stair configurations in each of the four building corners, fights in the stands/ice/court, bringing towels to 90 plus degree playoff games. It was literally a rat (one brushed my foot) infested crap hole, but I'd take it back in a heart beat. One had to be a FAN to be in the building and opposing teams loathed playing there.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I hope the HEA all-rookie selections motivate a couple of our frosh just that little bit extra this weekend. (Not that they need it!!)
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

So, I picked up a ticket for seat 14, row 17, Loge 12. I will try to arrive in time for part of the UVM-UML game, and buy Jeremy Jacobs' hot dogs for supper (just kidding, I am a vegetarian). We can keep in touch via electronic devices about mid-period rendezvous.
                        Sorry about that 65 but you are in anyway!! I will communicate with Ref at the game so we can meet up. I've got her number and will text her. No death rods(hot dogs!) for me either except on the 4th of July
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          +2

Of course, you could argue UNH started it with The Mills. Rumor has it a wrecking ball is finally headed for the lower quad. Afraid to see what kind of monstrosity they put there.
                          Wondering what's going to happen on the ATO site. The old Kappa Sig site (new dining hall) was definitely WAY out of scale.

I'm a little biased about PTP, I will admit. I think it's a great addition. The fact that Stoke is across the street helps with scale, I suppose.

The shocker for me this last time up were the new apartments on 155A. Those went up in about as long as it took me to type this, I think.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Well then you can eat them because I'm sure there is no real meat in those hot dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              I have many great sport and concert memories in that building. People sneaking in fire doors, different stair configurations in each of the four building corners, fights in the stands/ice/court, bringing towels to 90 plus degree playoff games. It was literally a rat (one brushed my foot) infested crap hole, but I'd take it back in a heart beat. One had to be a FAN to be in the building and opposing teams loathed playing there.
                              Totally agree, Darius. The closest old-barn vibe we can still enjoy is Mathews (Boston) Arena over on St. Botolph St., home of the Northeastern Huskies - which is actually an older building, and housed the Bruins before work on the original Garden was finished. When the WHA made its debut in the early '70's ('72/'73?) the "New England Whalers" played most of their games at the Arena, as back then the Bruins' AHL affiliate (Boston Braves) also played their home games at the Garden. The Whalers did play some home games in the Garden during their two seasons in Boston - which would've been interesting, considering the fact the Bruins (pre-Jacobs) still owned the Garden, and there was hardly a "Welcome Wagon" approach being taken by the NHL to the new WHA and its roster-raiding and salary-escalating ways.

But to show just how big hockey was in Boston back in the era of Bobby Orr and the "Big Bad Bruins", the Garden was being used by three (3) separate pro hockey teams for their games for two seasons, until the Whalers moved to Hartford/Springfield in '74/'75. The Braves set AHL attendance records during their first season in Boston ('71/'72) that apparently stood for decades, but they disbanded a year after the Whalers left. Keep in mind ... during the winters, the old Garden was also hosting a full slate of Celtics' games, plus the Beanpot and ECAC tournaments, assorted college and high school hoops and hockey tournaments AND the old ice skating shows that used to make the rounds back then (pre-Disney on Ice stuff). Throw in long stays by the circus and being a prime concert venue during the summer months (pre-Centrum, Great Woods, etc.) and it was a busy, busy building with very little down time for repairs.

That's not to defend Jacobs OR the previous owners (mostly the Adams family in my youth), but with a limited window of June thru September (playoff seasons didn't run past May in those days) and no shortage of demand for the facility on a year-round basis, you can almost understand the thinking of keeping the place running, making money, and not worrying too much about renovations.

It was a dump, but I would take the old place back in a minute over the replacement building. If Agganis somehow added a balcony, it would be about as close as a modern building could come to the old place. It is no surprise my two favorite buildings in HE are Mathews and Agganis. Like the Garden, they were built primarily for hockey, and it shows.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                It was a dump, but I would take the old place back in a minute over the replacement building. If Agganis somehow added a balcony, it would be about as close as a modern building could come to the old place. It is no surprise my two favorite buildings in HE are Mathews and Agganis. Like the Garden, they were built primarily for hockey, and it shows.
                                I love that Agganis was built with the bowl as steep as building code would allow. My understanding is that was a Parker thing and if it was he was absolutely right, hockey is best when the bowl is steep and the fans are on top of the game.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X