This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Hakstol was not at the helm in 2000. Umile has twice as many FF wins as Hakstol does.

That said, I think Blasi is the more apt comparison
    Thanks, Felger. Hire Unile!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      No. Hakstol has been at the helm since 2004-2005. He has been to the NCAA Tournament every season, and will make his 7th appearance at the Frozen Four on Thursday (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015). He has an overall record of 1-6 at the Frozen Four. He has yet to win a national title.

FWIW, Umile beat Hakstol in their only NCAA Tournament meeting in 2009 (the infamous game where UNH scored with less than a second to knot it up, and then the Wildcats won in OT).

You mean this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5THX7td0rU

Wishing the Sioux well in the FF...pulling for ya..admire your GK's story and would love to see him get the Hobey!!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-05-2015, 09:05 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
        Saw Clarkson mentioned on the schedules thread, but that's all so far.

Unrelated subject, but is Blasi or Hakstol the new Umile?
        And, besides Dartmouth and possibly St Lawrence, we also have two OOC games with Maine in Portland and Manchvegas. So, that accounts for five of the 12.

I am rooting for PC to beat BU for the NC. This FF will be BUs 22nd and Nodak's 21st, only topped by Michigan and BC (24 each) and tied by Minny (21), I think.

EDIT: Clarkson, St Lawrence, and Union are listed for one game visits to Lake Whitt on the schedules thread. So, with Dartmouth and two extra with Maine, that would make six of 12 OOC games lined up.
        Last edited by Snively65; 04-07-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
          Hakstol was not at the helm in 2000. Umile has twice as many FF wins as Hakstol does.

That said, I think Blasi is the more apt comparison
          Agreed. Can you imagine the outcry IF Coach Blasi takes over when Coach Umile retires?
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Agreed. Can you imagine the outcry IF Coach Blasi takes over when Coach Umile retires?
            Not likely to happen at least not for the next oh, 8 years or so...coz he (Blasi) signed a new 10 year contract in 2013. Sounds like a lifer to me 'Course, stranger things have happened...

How 'bout those Sox today!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              How 'bout those Sox today!!
              Only 161 more to go to an undefeated season! Who said "Wait 'till next year?"

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Only 161 more to go to an undefeated season! Who said "Wait 'till next year?"
                All four pro Beantown teams have won the last game that they have played. Not counting the Revolution, as not sure about them.

Comment

Grayson Downing gets his first pro point on an assist in the first period of his game tonight (Iowa Wild v Texas Stars) AFTER he puts one off the post! Also gives great between periods interview about his new digs and gives UNH years big props. Was asked who he favored in the FF he says "it's hard to say I mean, we beat three of the four".
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Grayson Downing gets his first pro point on an assist in the first period of his game tonight (Iowa Wild v Texas Stars) AFTER he puts one off the post! Also gives great between periods interview about his new digs and gives UNH years big props. Was asked who he favored in the FF he says "it's hard to say I mean, we beat three of the four".
                    Good for Grayson.

I suppose he could have said that his team beat Proviced three times this season.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      It sounds like the kid had a great experience (and developed a quick wit) at UNH. Good luck to him. We won't miss him and his linemates at Matthews next year. They really had it together by the season's end.
                      Also glad to not see the usual heavy volume of "Fire Umile" posts. He's given you a well regarded, competitive program that is fun to watch and easy to root for.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                        Also glad to not see the usual heavy volume of "Fire Umile" posts. He's given you a well regarded, competitive program that is fun to watch and easy to root for.
                        I am critical of the programs issues, believe they should be trying to fix those issues and sometimes it doesn't look like they even identify the issues. In that regard (old dog new tricks) I am not sure the program can move forward until it moves on. However I am not a "Fire Umile" guy, it is my be careful what you wish for thinking. Umile may not ever get over the top, I sure hope he does, but you have to remember UNH could become ... one of the long list of teams just barely existing.

For every Norm Bazin there are how many Ben Smith, Paul Pooley, George Roll, Brian McCutcheon, the 30 years of Michigan Tech coaches between MacInnes and now maybe Pearson...
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                          I am critical of the programs issues, believe they should be trying to fix those issues and sometimes it doesn't look like they even identify the issues. In that regard (old dog new tricks) I am not sure the program can move forward until it moves on. However I am not a "Fire Umile" guy, it is my be careful what you wish for thinking. Umile may not ever get over the top, I sure hope he does, but you have to remember UNH could become ... one of the long list of teams just barely existing.
                          For every Norm Bazin there are how many Ben Smith, Paul Pooley, George Roll, Brian McCutcheon, the 30 years of Michigan Tech coaches between MacInnes and now maybe Pearson...
                          JB with all due respect and I do recognize that you are obviously knowledgeable regarding the game etc but I have a real hard time believing that UNH will become a team that barely exists....!!! That is a pretty bold statement when we have decent talent (ok prob year could be a lot like this year) . You say things won't change til it moves along...please clarify "it".
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

JB with all due respect and I do recognize that you are obviously knowledgeable regarding the game etc but I have a real hard time believing that UNH will become a team that barely exists....!!! That is a pretty bold statement when we have decent talent (ok prob year could be a lot like this year) . You say things won't change til it moves along...please clarify "it".
                            Go look up Michigan Tech's history see their dominance and what they have been for the last 30 years.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

...please clarify "it".
                              It is The program. Moving on would be from the old dog I am not sure can or is willing to learn the new tricks I am pretty sure are needed to take that last step.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

I put myself in the same, "careful what you wish for" camp as well. A Wisco fan on their thread, made an astute comment that nothing kills recruiting like a coach on the "hot seat." I think he is right. It would be great to see Umile get over the hump but he wouldn't have much of a chance without the "groceries!" Admittedly, he has had the "groceries" in the past and didn't get over the hump and therein lies the rub!!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X