PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Dan
04-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Regarding Eichel, I saw him enough this year to know that he needs to improve defensively. Let's just say that Claude Julien would have worries about him. So, question. Does he stay or does he go? Since there is precedent for #2 picks staying (Toews and JVR) in college it might not be a slam dunk. I guess it comes down to how big the bonus is.

Both JVR and Toews had excellent NCAA freshmen seasons, averaging NEARLY one point per game. Eichel was much closer to TWO points per game. He may decide to stay because he loves BU and he loves college - but there is no way the team that drafts him will not do everything they can to get/convince/push him into the pros ASAP. He is ready to move on, with a good chance to slide right onto an NHL roster. 98.5% chance - he gone...

Snively65
04-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Both JVR and Toews had excellent NCAA freshmen seasons, averaging NEARLY one point per game. Eichel was much closer to TWO points per game. He may decide to stay because he loves BU and he loves college - but there is no way the team that drafts him will not do everything they can to get/convince/push him into the pros ASAP. He is ready to move on, with a good chance to slide right onto an NHL roster. 98.5% chance - he gone...

Sabres will have 20% chance of nabbing the first pick this Saturday, with Connor McDavid ranked no.1 , Jack Eichel no. 2, and Noah Hanifan at BC no. 3. Coyotes probably will have second worst record for 13.5% chance at the first pick. Bruins at no. 14 will have 1% chance for the first pick, according to Sporting News.

I have no idea whether either Eichel or Hanifan would leave after freshman year, although I agree that the pressure will be on them, as those bottom feeder NHL teams need all the help that they can get.

McDavid and Eichel are being compared to Taylor Hall and Tyler Sequin in the 2010 NHL draft.

chickod
04-14-2015, 11:10 AM
McDavid and Eichel are being compared to Taylor Hall and Tyler Sequin in the 2010 NHL draft.

Well that would make sense...after all, Seguin can't play defense, right? Who needs goals? That's what they're saying about Eichel, too. :) Guess we don't have to wonder where Schiarelli stands on him...

Snively65
04-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Well that would make sense...after all, Seguin can't play defense, right? Who needs goals? That's what they're saying about Eichel, too. :) Guess we don't have to wonder where Schiarelli stands on him...

Oh, I think that if the no. 2 pick fell all the way to the B's, Chiarelli would pick Eichel, and then trade him for some big tough guys who can play Claude's "system." Oops, thread drift here, my bad.

chickod
04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh, I think that if the no. 2 pick fell all the way to the B's, Chiarelli would pick Eichel, and then trade him for some big tough guys who can play Claude's "system." Oops, thread drift here, my bad.

I hear you, though (unfortunately I agree) :)

Greg A
04-14-2015, 12:52 PM
If O'Connor were in a UNH jersey for the past 3 years, you guys would have been putting up Hobey campaigns for him. Basically, he is like BU's version of Mike Ayers, the only difference being one couldn't stop a beach ball in the 3rd period of the NCAA title game and the other caught the ball the threw it into his own net. :D

Ayers beat BU five straight times in five different arenas, including the HE final and regional final in 2003. I think he shut them out in both of those games. I also remember Ayers as a first or second team all-american. I don't think O'Connor reached those heights. And come to think of it, I don't remember Matti what's his face reaching them either.

chickod
04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Ayers beat BU five straight times in five different arenas, including the HE final and regional final in 2003. I think he shut them out in both of those games.

Yes. 1-0 in HE final
3-0 at Centrum

Nick Papagiorgio
04-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Ayers beat BU five straight times in five different arenas, including the HE final and regional final in 2003. I think he shut them out in both of those games. I also remember Ayers as a first or second team all-american. I don't think O'Connor reached those heights. And come to think of it, I don't remember Matti what's his face reaching them either.

Cool story. And all 3 have no rings.

Greg A
04-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Cool story. And all 3 have no rings.

Oh, so that is the point of your rant, that Ayers has no rings? You should make yourself more clear when you post, since your first point implied that Ayers was a crap goalie, no better than O'Connor. It has been pointed out that he shutout BU in two consecutive championship games, was an all-american and, despite being a bum in your eyes, is now coaching the goalies at BC. Just want to make sure we get our facts straight.

chickod
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Oh, so that is the point of your rant, that Ayers has no rings? You should <b>get a life</b>

fyp :)

Nick Papagiorgio
04-14-2015, 01:46 PM
No the point originally was that it is foolish to say Quinn "missed an important piece of the puzzle" with goaltender recruiting by your very own Chuck Murray and if O'Connor had been in a UNH jersey he would be a god there just like Touchdown Mikey. I'm sorry you are too dumb to figure that out.

Junior seasons:
Mike Ayers .926%, 2.18 GAA, HE title, crapped pants in 3rd period of national title game.
Matt O'Connor .927%, 2.18 GAA, HE title, crapped pants in 3rd period of national title game.

Christ, these two could be twins separated at birth, but clearly they aren't because of some arbitrary voting process for All-Americans goes to show the huge difference between these two.

You're welcome. :D

Go enjoy your hillbilly logic in peace.

chickod
04-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry you are too dumb to figure that out. Go enjoy your hillbilly logic in peace.

He is probably too smart to even respond to you, but I'll take the bait. Because, after all, it's only a minute or so of typing. I don't understand people that have to denigrate others to make themselves feel good (or is "better" the more appropriate word?). If this is how you get your rocks off, it's pretty sad...

P.S. I know I can't change the world, but it makes <b><I>me</I></b> feel better at least...

Nifty16
04-14-2015, 02:51 PM
It must be the off season all the trolls are out today

Hope everyone has a nice day :)

C-H-C
04-14-2015, 04:10 PM
@MarkDivver: Leaman thanks admission dept.: 'We had to use a crowbar a few times.'

WildShawn
04-14-2015, 04:26 PM
No the point originally was that it is foolish to say Quinn "missed an important piece of the puzzle" with goaltender recruiting by your very own Chuck Murray and if O'Connor had been in a UNH jersey he would be a god there just like Touchdown Mikey. I'm sorry you are too dumb to figure that out.

Junior seasons:
Mike Ayers .926%, 2.18 GAA, HE title, crapped pants in 3rd period of national title game.
Matt O'Connor .927%, 2.18 GAA, HE title, crapped pants in 3rd period of national title game.

Christ, these two could be twins separated at birth, but clearly they aren't because of some arbitrary voting process for All-Americans goes to show the huge difference between these two.

difference being, Minnesota was the best team in the country, and head and shoulders above UNH, had it not been for Ayers and his 40 saves through 2 periods when it was 1-1, the game would have been long over. Providence was the last team in the tournament and an underdog. From memory, didn't Ayers only give up two goals in the third, and two ENGs? As brutal as that was, the better team won that game....

That is ancient history, I'm more concerned with the present and how long it will take UNH to get back to a team contending for even a league title...

HockeyRef
04-14-2015, 05:23 PM
@MarkDivver: Leaman thanks admission dept.: 'We had to use a crowbar a few times.'

Sigh. Doubt that happens for us...we are an "educational institution first and foremost". (A phrase I've read on numerous occasions by the AD) Words to live by, and play by...:rolleyes:
'Course, I have no clue what happens behind closed doors with the compliance office....

HockeyRef
04-14-2015, 05:24 PM
It must be the off season all the trolls are out today

Hope everyone has a nice day :)

And how. Ugh. :p

Snively65
04-14-2015, 08:04 PM
difference being, Minnesota was the best team in the country, and head and shoulders above UNH, had it not been for Ayers and his 40 saves through 2 periods when it was 1-1, the game would have been long over. Providence was the last team in the tournament and an underdog. From memory, didn't Ayers only give up two goals in the third, and two ENGs? As brutal as that was, the better team won that game....

That is ancient history, I'm more concerned with the present and how long it will take UNH to get back to a team contending for even a league title...

I agree, Nick the Troll's comparison would only make sense if Weber, the Gophs' equivalent to O'Connor, had choked and UNH pulled off the upset win for the NC. Ayers played great in that game, and so did UNH, holding off Thomas Vanek until his goal and assist in a couple of short minutes midway through the third. And, yes, the final two Goph goals by Tallackson were a PP and EN. Not having Lanny Gare really hurt, I think, as he and Ayers were the heart and soul of that team.

Scott
04-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Junior seasons:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

e.cat
04-16-2015, 06:00 AM
That's a lot of verbiage to excuse what happened. I'll start off by saying that UNH lost the NCAA semifinals to Wisconsin in overtime on the face off play (by Mike Eaves btw) so whatever argument you were making there has not relevance. But to say that the ECAC "almost always" selected the runnerup is incorrect. They "always" selected the runnerup. The only time the runner up didn't go was Clarkson, I think in the late 60's but that was their choice not the ECAC's. I sat with a bunch of BU fans at JW Hills before the Friday regionals in Manchester. They brought up the issue of what they called "the min-game", not me. They went on about how BU deserved to go in 1978 because they were better than PC and proved it by winning it all. My rejoinder was to ask them about the 1974 UNH team, which entered the ECAC playoffs #1 in the country. Of course they had no memory of that team but I reminded them that it wound up losing in OT to RPI, mostly because their All-American goalie Cap Raeder was injured and barely played in the game. I don't recall the ECAC saying, well UNH is clearly better than this team or that team, let's have them play a play-in game. Well, that's different, they said. Sure was. One team was BU, the other was UNH. You know, I wasn't rooting against BU on Saturday night. I was glad that it was a HE final. But I wasn't sad when they lost either. Just a bit down because PC got their title before UNH, that's all.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_ECAC_Hockey_Men's_Ice_Hockey_Tournament

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_NCAA_Division_I_Men%27s_Ice_Hockey_Tournament #Bracket

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_ECAC_Hockey_Men%27s_Ice_Hockey_Tournament

Those were the days, eh?