PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

HockeyRef
04-09-2015, 07:40 AM
I put myself in the same, "careful what you wish for" camp as well. A Wisco fan on their thread, made an astute comment that nothing kills recruiting like a coach on the "hot seat." I think he is right. It would be great to see Umile get over the hump but he wouldn't have much of a chance without the "groceries!" Admittedly, he has had the "groceries" in the past and didn't get over the hump and therein lies the rub!!

All valid points, to be sure...and being still the newbie with such a short past with the program (although I know / have heard the story) I've learned there is so much that goes into a successful program, from the AD alllll the way down to the coaches and players. Bring on Oct...ha!

Felger
04-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Go look up Michigan Tech's history see their dominance and what they have been for the last 30 years.

Could also have used Lake State as an example, and we all know there is a connection between the two programs

Dan
04-09-2015, 08:53 AM
As a life-long UNH fan and a Miami alum, the parallels between the programs at UNH and Miami are astounding. I've always thought Miami was a carbon copy of UNH's lastest run, just 10 or so years later. They play the same style, the both have/had new arena's, alumni coaches, really strong runs from down turns in their programs, same heartbreaking NCAA title-game loss...

As far as Blasi (who is a young Umile in a lot of ways) is concerned, he is a few good years away from a Umile-like life-long contract (perhaps, deservedly so). He is beloved in Oxford (I love the guy) and not going anywhere. Both schools should have staying power with what they have to offer. Hopefully, UNH can get back on track and Miami can avoid the bump in the road...

sonar
04-09-2015, 11:00 AM
PROVISO: (None of the following should be construed as a reflection on the current players and I hope they are given the tools that they will need to lead the team into a new era. I appreciate their skills.)

A few days ago I noticed one of my grandkids picking at a newly formed scar on his arm – a recent cut. Of course in the knowledgeable way of all grandfathers I said, “Probably best not to pick at that.”

As I prepare to watch the 2015 Frozen Four I happened to read on the Hockey East website -- the history of HE teams in the NCAA Tournament. I saw that UNH has a .375 (15-25) tournament record all-time, and a .437 (14-18) record since 1985. It does appear that their won-lost record is not among the leaders when compared to other HE teams. Of course, there are other teams in other conferences that rival the UNH tournament record. I also go back far enough (1969) to recall that UNH recorded something less than .400 in the ECAC tournament, with almost 20 appearances, and won one tournament.

UNH has played a lot of NCAA tournament games and since it is hard to get into the tournament that is a laudable achievement. As praiseworthy as the participation achievement is I can’t help but recall the following -- As the NC championship game versus Maine ended - my friend turned to me and said, “UNH really needed that game.” Almost twenty years later those words ring even more true.

These tournament records and many other subjects have been discussed on this thread for many years. Some of the analyses have been detailed and very insightful. Some contained historical perspective and others contained the views of fans new to the saga that is UNH Hockey. Some of it has been a rehash of old viewpoints, and some related to where does UNH go from here. Hypotheses concerning who or what is to blame have been discussed, and discussed, and discussed.

In the final analyses, I can say that there have been moments of great joy in watching UNH Hockey over the years. It is also observable that a considerable amount of scar tissue has accumulated and those scars now greatly influence the fan relationship to UNH Hockey. Wounds of any kind can only be reduced by change and the tincture of time. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy college hockey, today's Frozen Four, and I will continue to wonder.

It all brings me back to what my grandson said about my comment, concerning not picking at his scab. He said, “It’s hard not to.”

C-H-C
04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Former UNH star Stevie Moses has signed a 1 million dollar contract with the Nashville Predators for next season. It is a one-way contract so he earns the million dollars regardless of whether he plays for the Predators or their AHL affiliate:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/preds-sign-khl-scoring-sensation-moses-one-year-1m/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=3576288&utm_source=TW%20%40NHLonNBCSports&utm_tags=srm%5Bhockey%2Carticle%5D

JB
04-09-2015, 12:25 PM
A few days ago I noticed one of my grandkids picking at a newly formed scar on his arm – a recent cut. Of course in the knowledgeable way of all grandfathers I said, “Probably best not to pick at that.”

It all brings me back to what my grandson said about my comment, concerning not picking at his scab. He said, “It’s hard not to.”

Very nice post.

I look at the UNH NCAA performance and I see one common denominator, Coach Holt. While Coach Holt was an offensive innovator and a brilliant hockey mind his teams and those of his coaching tree in Durham have all had a similar issue on the big stage. I am not sure exactly why.

My hypothesis is UNH has had "players coaches" not X&O guys. On offense there seems to be a desire to let the creativity of the player drive the offense more than a system. However depending on the talent, the stage and the opponent a structured attack might be the better option. There also is a feeling that "dirty" goals don't count. Problem is in playoff hockey it is the dirty goals that win. In the 98-99 season how many of Haydar's goals were because he was at the net, I remember quiet a few backdoor rebound goals for arguably the best UNH team ever. I believe it is why UNH never seems to shoot low hard to the center ice on the goalie with a man looking for a rebound on the other side on a 2-1. Instead if the pass can't be made it always seem to be looking for a corner - most maddeningly "always" high glove. Same X&O issue is the current PP looking like it doesn't really have a plan - because it may not. The players coach probably isn't going to have the true discipline that carries a team through a rough stretch in a game.

However that players coach is going to care deeply about the players. Build life long relationships that matter to those players. Probably is going build/educate/nurture better men then the one that came in the door.

Just an observational theory.

Snively65
04-09-2015, 05:31 PM
The team that we beat three times this season is now up 1-0 in game 1 at the Garden.

Edit: make that 2-0.

C-H-C
04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
The team that we beat three times this season is now up 1-0 in game 1 at the Garden.

And UNO looks like the team UNH beat 6-2 on New Year's Eve in Omaha.

Snively65
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Arrrggghhh!

New Hampshire 'Cats Fan
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Former UNH star Stevie Moses has signed a 1 million dollar contract with the Nashville Predators for next season. It is a one-way contract so he earns the million dollars regardless of whether he plays for the Predators or their AHL affiliate:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/preds-sign-khl-scoring-sensation-moses-one-year-1m/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=3576288&utm_source=TW%20%40NHLonNBCSports&utm_tags=srm%5Bhockey%2Carticle%5D

Awesome! Hopefully, I can see Moses in action at a Predators game.

e.cat
04-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Arrrggghhh!

Credit to PC making it to the Championship game but the wudda, cudda, shudda is baffling!!!!

C-H-C
04-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Notice what every player on the bench is looking at after a key play? That's right - the Jumbotron. These guys were raised in the digital video era and want to see replays; just like virtually every fan.

HockeyRef
04-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Arrrggghhh!

Double Argghhh

HockeyRef
04-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Credit to PC making it to the Championship game but the wudda, cudda, shudda is baffling!!!!

Wanna elaborate 😉 ?!? Sigh...

NCAA watcher
04-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Notice what every player on the bench is looking at after a key play? That's right - the Jumbotron. These guys were raised in the digital video era and want to see replays; just like virtually every fan.

No, I was too busy noticing that every coach and assistant has hair, non-grey. Sadly, even the gold standard of class - York- is losing recruiting battles to the young Turk.

Chuck, I may have to adjust my horizon.
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?110184-The-Fallacy-of-HE-quot-Supremacy-quot-BC-The-Seven-Dwarfs-and-The-Least-of-the-East&p=5956321&viewfull=1#post5956321

Snively65
04-09-2015, 09:45 PM

And, we stayed within a goal of BU at the Garden for almost 54 minutes a month ago, unlike Nodak, which has been down 4-1 since midway through the second.

C-H-C
04-09-2015, 09:58 PM
It's my understanding that Eichel committed to play for Coach Parker (who has more than a trace of grey hair).

Snively65
04-09-2015, 10:13 PM
No, I was too busy noticing that every coach and assistant has hair, non-grey. Sadly, even the gold standard of class - York- is losing recruiting battles to the young Turk.

Chuck, I may have to adjust my horizon.
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?110184-The-Fallacy-of-HE-quot-Supremacy-quot-BC-The-Seven-Dwarfs-and-The-Least-of-the-East&p=5956321&viewfull=1#post5956321

Ha, ha, ha! Chuck's "Fallacy of Hockey East Supremacy" thread! Great timing!

But, Eichel is a Calipari-style one-and-done player, right?

Felger
04-10-2015, 05:42 AM

And, we stayed within a goal of BU at the Garden for almost 54 minutes a month ago, unlike Nodak, which has been down 4-1 since midway through the second.

Channeling Dan Duquette, eh Snively?

More days in first place, more days in first place, more days in first place

HockeyRef
04-10-2015, 05:50 AM
It's my understanding that Eichel committed to play for Coach Parker (who has more than a trace of grey hair).

The Man (Parker) said it himself before the game in a quickie interview...."when I recruited him"..."knew he'd be a top notch player with a bright NHL future" ...which, I hope is sooner, than later ;) Glad I color my hair. God knows what my students would think...:rolleyes: