X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by smitre View Post
    Regarding Pesce, there is a school of thought that anyone turning pro in hockey, basketball, etc. can maximize their career salary by coming out early even if it means a lower initial contract. Each year earlier they turn pro brings them that much closer to their bigger free agent contract down the road and an additional year of earning pro money at the end of their career.

Obviously there is the risk of stunting development (which could also happen by staying in school another year) or getting stuck in the wrong pro organization.
    My take on Pesce is that he used his three years at UNH to develop not only his game but to improve his physicality. Remember, he came in as a scrawny 17 year old. You could tell right away that he had good instincts but through a combination of things it really wasn't until this year that he looked the part of a top two college defenseman. I suppose he could have opted to stay his senior year but my guess is he thinks it's time to go all in as a professional hockey player, learn his craft and establish himself as a big leaguer. More training, more ice time in the pros is probably the smart choice. And getting paid isn't bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      I've read that as well Chuck, but it doesn't seem grounded in the real world. If that were the case why would anyone sign after their junior year? Yet each year we see juniors from all over college hockey signing contracts within days, sometime literally within hours after their team's season are over. Can't believe if there really was leverage to waiting, potential or otherwise, that agents, er sorry "advisors," would be allowing thse kids to sign.

As for Pesce, I guess UNH fans should be lamenting the fact that he did all those press conferences/media availabilities rather than chatting with Mike Paliotta
      'splain yourself please...thanks! As for Mike...he's about to don a Blackhawks jersey...was on the ice for their optional skate...
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Friars and Gillies going to FF, but we are better.

Comment

Reading the posts on Pesce....back in the day, Jay Miller was offered a contract from Toronto, but he stayed for his senior year, where he injured his shoulder and leg and basically lost out.....he went to Boston where he fought his way out of the AHL after many years to have a fine career....Ask Gordie Clark, who led the AHL in scoring for some 5 years but was never brought up....Has Darren Haydar suffered by being in the "minors"? And yet we all know of countless players who signed out of school, to the basic two-way contract, never to see the "Apple".....it's easy to Monday morning opine.....best of luck to Pesce!
          How about them Friars.....UNH should walk tall having played BU and Providi as well as they did....nice that 2 HE schools with no BC..... )

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
            Reading the posts on Pesce....back in the day, Jay Miller was offered a contract from Toronto, but he stayed for his senior year, where he injured his shoulder and leg and basically lost out.....he went to Boston where he fought his way out of the AHL after many years to have a fine career....Ask Gordie Clark, who led the AHL in scoring for some 5 years but was never brought up....Has Darren Haydar suffered by being in the "minors"? And yet we all know of countless players who signed out of school, to the basic two-way contract, never to see the "Apple".....it's easy to Monday morning opine.....best of luck to Pesce!
            How about them Friars.....UNH should walk tall having played BU and Providi as well as they did....nice that 2 HE schools with no BC..... )
            Well we will / can take some solace and be proud of the fact that if UNO wins over RIT we can say we beat 3 out 4 FF teams...FWIW dept!! Onward HE teams!!
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Hi, did anyone miss me, not that it really matters, but I've been out here. Very impressive finish to the season by UNH, I'm sure the players had much to do with it. I did notice, however, that two teams who are among the traditionally successful in HE are still playing, and both have young, new coaches. I'm not sure that this isn't a coincidence.
              "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
              Larry David

Comment

• Originally posted by billb View Post
                Hi, did anyone miss me, not that it really matters, but I've been out here. Very impressive finish to the season by UNH, I'm sure the players had much to do with it. I did notice, however, that two teams who are among the traditionally successful in HE are still playing, and both have young, new coaches. I'm not sure that this isn't a coincidence.
                It is a coincidence, at least this season. One team has the probable Hoby winner, the other a great goalie. Our team and coach beat both of these teams and coaches late in the season.

Comment

GOAL TENDING, GOAL TENDING, GOAL TENDING . These last 4 teams all have great goalies ( all goalies are good at this level) . What does UNH now posses one Tirone , we will get their at least once in the next three years even with our 1/4 century coach .

Comment

I'll be rooting for either BU or Providence to win it all. More so for Providence simply because they have not won it. If Providence does win it all, then I will be even more convinced that the sun, the moon and the stars just don't want to line up for UNH and never will!!!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      I'll be rooting for either BU or Providence to win it all. More so for Providence simply because they have not won it. If Providence does win it all, then I will be even more convinced that the sun, the moon and the stars just don't want to line up for UNH and never will!!!
                      Same here, e.cat, except for your last sentence, which I would interpret just the opposite, as in our time will come, although not sure how soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Same here, e.cat, except for your last sentence, which I would interpret just the opposite, as in our time will come, although not sure how soon.
                        In my lifetime would be good Snively65😆
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

From Men’s Hockey: Umile Reflects on 25 years by Parker Wheeler:

“I’ve got a few more years left, I’m getting my contract and then I’ll make my decision,” Coach Umile said. “Hopefully a couple more years here, but I still feel like I’m as excited on the bench every season as I was 20 years ago.”

“He has enough gas in the tank. He’s hungry and has plenty of energy,” UNH athletic director Marty Scarano said. “I know when he’s ready and can’t give it 100 percent anymore he will let us know.”
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            Always thrilled when my coach's response as to continuing at age 66 is that he has his contract.
                            And when my AD says the coach can keep his job as long as
                            He gives 100%.

Well, move the championship building plan back another 5 years.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

From "Men’s Hockey: Tyler Kelleher, Wildcats Look Ahead to the Future" in The New Hampshire:

“We’re going to lose some of our top guys, but we definitely have a lot of talent on this team,” Kelleher said. “I think all of our guys are capable of stepping in for us. I really believe any of them could perform.”

"It feels good that our coaches believed in me and had trust in me,” Kelleher said. “I think coach Umile gave me the opportunity this year and hopefully I can get stronger over the offseason and come back better next year.”
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

As Umile enters his 26th season as head coach, it raises the question of how much longer the Umile era will last. But Umile knows he still has some time.

“I’ve got a few more years left, I’m getting my contract and then I’ll make my decision,” he said. “Hopefully a couple more years here, but I still feel like I’m as excited on the bench every season as I was 20 years ago.”

With so much success and consistency, Umile essentially has his job until he is ready to step away.

It was nice of Coach Umile to publicly create plausible deniability for the existence of a lifetime contract.

“He has enough gas in the tank. He’s hungry and has plenty of energy,” UNH athletic director Marty Scarano said. “I know when he’s ready and can’t give it 100 percent anymore he will let us know."

BS35+goingon 2 pipes in with a predictably complacent take on things. Why can't you be my boss?

“I like to think of myself as a ‘players’ coach.’” Umile said. “I don’t consider myself some guru of x’s and o’s.”

Lfetime contracts let you be pretty darned honest about your strengths and ... uh, not-so-strengths.

As long as he can get his players to perform, I'm on board. I honestly don't think we have a choice anyway. But I can't help but wonder what folks outside the program might make of today's "admissions". Maybe Coach isn't worried about the quality of would-be recruits beyond those currently in the pipeline to UNH for the next 2-3 seasons, because he's not planning to stay until he's 70?

UNH Hockey: .500 And Proud ... Who Says Complacency Is a Bad Thing??
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X