X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I couldn't say for sure, because I feel as if these deals are often kept under wraps (or maybe I just don't hear about it), but Carolina also signed top-American goalie prospect Alex Nedeljkovic yesterday and he received the same $277,500 bonus and $70,000 AHL contract...

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

That puts Pesce in pretty good prospect company. Worst case scenario it gives him a pretty good beginners' savings account, the ability to afford to come back to school and a chance to live out his childhood dream - can't turn that down...
    Agree, good for Pesce in following the dream. You're right these deals are often kept under wraps. I haven't seen a thing about what Downing or Willows got or other UNH guys over the years. Thanks for posting the link on Pesce's deal though Dan.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Correale (senior) will get the "C", and (hopefully) Kelleher will get an "A".
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Kinda agree pretty sweet deal for Pesce but isn't $277,500 a very low signing bonus? Also, am I correct in saying that he will only receive $70,000 if he is not brought up?
        A two way deal with an AHL salary of $70,000 is the standard contract I believe. Sorry to see him go as he was just coming into his own. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
          A two way deal with an AHL salary of $70,000 is the standard contract I believe.
          I think you're correct, Greg. And I agree with ref - the signing bonus is nothing eye-popping either.

Hope for his sake he does better than most of the previous UNH'ers who've left a year early ...

Comment

RIT flabberghasts another fan base; downs top seed Mankato.
            Last edited by C-H-C; 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I think you're correct, Greg. And I agree with ref - the signing bonus is nothing eye-popping either.

Hope for his sake he does better than most of the previous UNH'ers who've left a year early ...
              What the hey, even if he does not get beyond the AHA, in a couple or three years he can use his $70k/year to come back and finish his degree, as someone else noted above. Gotta go for it, I say. No downside that I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                A two way deal with an AHL salary of $70,000 is the standard contract I believe. Sorry to see him go as he was just coming into his own. Best of luck to him.
                Ya sorry to see him go too. $70m, meh! $277,500, meh! Geoff Koch's (Exeter, Michigan National Champion) Grandfather told me he turned down a $700,000 signing bonus with Nashville back in the 90's! Guess the $$$ have dried up post recession!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  Ya sorry to see him go too. $70m, meh! $277,500, meh! Geoff Koch's (Exeter, Michigan National Champion) Grandfather told me he turned down a $700,000 signing bonus with Nashville back in the 90's! Guess the $$$ have dried up post recession!
                  The AHL $ and bonus are not spectacular. Carolina owns his rights so he must not have much leverage (?), but one would think he'd command more after a good Senior year. The NHL $ are obviously better, but unlikely he makes that.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    The AHL $ and bonus are not spectacular. Carolina owns his rights so he must not have much leverage (?), but one would think he'd command more after a good Senior year. The NHL $ are obviously better, but unlikely he makes that.
                    Ya. I agree!

Comment

Based on some other posters' insights, leverage *could* have come at the end of next season, and if he had a strong senior season, it could have forced Carolina to pony up at something more than an entry level deal, lest they had lost his rights after Summer 2016.

Some kids are risk averse, and some have the confidence to let it ride in hopes of a better deal. In real world terms, Pesce's deal gives him a healthy down payment on nice house (with enough left over to let him finish school) with the after-taxes (and after agent) bonus proceeds, and a living wage in the AHL. Good for him. But if he can parlay things into an NHL career, it will have been a very smart decision. If not ... then at least hopefully he saves his money, and has a Plan B in place. He's a 3rd round draft pick, so it could go either way. We'll see ...

Comment

A lot of former Div 1 players continue to play hockey in Europe, some for lengthy stretches; does anyone know what kinds of salaries are paid over there?

Comment

Hey hockey enthusiasts! For those in the know, when do we findout who's coming on board for next year for sure? Hopefully our remaining D men are getting the message that somebody's going to have to step up big time to fill the Pesce shoes. (if that's even possible) Don't think we are going to be in as dire shape D wise as maybe we were coming into this season with the GK thingie...thoughts on that?

On another note, that BU/UND semi FF is going to be quite the game. They grow 'em big out there BU hope you're ready...and that GK McIntyre is a big wall. After watching the two BU Regional games have to say when they are on, they're on (third period in Durham anyone?). Hard to pic who wins this one...And how 'bout those Friars haha.
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

The signing period for the National Letter of Intent begins on April 15th.

http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...letter-of.html
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Regarding Pesce, there is a school of thought that anyone turning pro in hockey, basketball, etc. can maximize their career salary by coming out early even if it means a lower initial contract. Each year earlier they turn pro brings them that much closer to their bigger free agent contract down the road and an additional year of earning pro money at the end of their career.

Obviously there is the risk of stunting development (which could also happen by staying in school another year) or getting stuck in the wrong pro organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Based on some other posters' insights, leverage *could* have come at the end of next season, and if he had a strong senior season, it could have forced Carolina to pony up at something more than an entry level deal, lest they had lost his rights after Summer 2016.
                                I've read that as well Chuck, but it doesn't seem grounded in the real world. If that were the case why would anyone sign after their junior year? Yet each year we see juniors from all over college hockey signing contracts within days, sometime literally within hours after their team's season are over. Can't believe if there really was leverage to waiting, potential or otherwise, that agents, er sorry "advisors," would be allowing thse kids to sign.

As for Pesce, I guess UNH fans should be lamenting the fact that he did all those press conferences/media availabilities rather than chatting with Mike Paliotta
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X