X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by JB View Post
    What do you do if the games run late?

I never take the train because I fear OT and missing the end of the game. I just park at Wellington and take the T in to the Garden.
    You're right JB, that is a concern. Wellington Station would work for me too and eliminate that concern. Based on the QF's OT wouldn't surprise me!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Hey chickod. I think you are right that it might work for a lot of UNH fans but I'm not entirely sure about the extent of that. In my case for example, I'm taking the Downeaster out of Wells, Me. at 1:30pm to North Station. Then I'll probably head over to the Fours. Easy breezy! Last year I did the same thing and it worked like a charm. No driving, no parking, no hassle. The train stopped in Durham, Dover, Exeter and somewhere else and picked up UNH fans all along the way. It was great. But, ya, the late game probably works for a lot of UNH fans what with work and all. BTW, I used to take the B&M out of Natick to Boston back in the day. It was great except for those HHH days in the dog days of summer when the AC was broken down in which case I would sweat my ba11s off!!
      I hear you! Although the Downeaster (my sister who lives in Dover takes it into Cambridge frequently) is MUCH more reliable than the MBTA / MBRC / Keolis excuse for a "train." So that's less of a risk. Not having the AC is bad enough, but the past year they have been not on schedule and frequently breaking down. Plus, they are so overcrowded now that people are standing in the aisles more than you would imagine. Not fun!!! But it IS a good point about Wellington. The first game may be 0-0 in the 5th OT. Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        I never take the train because I fear OT and missing the end of the game. I just park at Wellington and take the T in to the Garden.
        That's always been my approach, JB. The T eventually stops running (used to be @ 1:00 a.m.??), but I figure you can always get a cab from North Station to Medford if necessary, and it's a lot less expensive than a cab from North Station to NH.

Or there's always the option of "sleeping in" at the Garden, like they did after the first round of the '78 Beanpot. Can only imagine how much *fun* that would have been in the old building, what with the rodent issues, etc.

I always remember my first trip to the Beanpot was for the '79 Finals (BU beat BC with several future "Miracle on Ice" US Olympians skating that evening) the following February, and then a month later we went back to see UNH beat Dartmouth in the ECAC Finals. That was my senior year in HS. Good times.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          But it IS a good point about Wellington. The first game may be 0-0 in the 5th OT. Ha ha
          Wasn't it 2008 when UNH gacked up a 3 goal lead and lost to BC in the early game, with multiple OT's? Took the whole family for that one ... and suffice to say we didn't stick around for the nightcap.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Wasn't it 2008 when UNH gacked up a 3 goal lead and lost to BC in the early game, with multiple OT's? Took the whole family for that one ... and suffice to say we didn't stick around for the nightcap.
            Yes...and the BU/Vermont game didn't start until around 11:00 p.m. if I recall. We got smoked and it was almost as if nobody cared (or was awake). Even one of the longtime BU diehards who was sitting in front of me left after the 1st period (although I didn't know at the time that she had cancer and actually passed away shortly after). So, yeah, that definitely justifies your train phobia!!

Comment

That's always been my approach, JB. The T eventually stops running (used to be @ 1:00 a.m.??), but I figure you can always get a cab from North Station to Medford if necessary, and it's a lot less expensive than a cab from North Station to NH.

Or there's always the option of "sleeping in" at the Garden, like they did after the first round of the '78 Beanpot. Can only imagine how much *fun* that would have been in the old building, what with the rodent issues, etc.

I always remember my first trip to the Beanpot was for the '79 Finals (BU beat BC with several future "Miracle on Ice" US Olympians skating that evening) the following February, and then a month later we went back to see UNH beat Dartmouth in the ECAC Finals. That was my senior year in HS. Good times.
              First of all, I would say that given the recent issues with the T and the commuter rail, issues that only exacerbate historical failures that both have had in the 50 years I have been riding them (less frequently now), one is taking a risk in relying on them to commute you from and to NH. Easy for me to say that driving is the better option since I live 20 minutes from the Garden by car. But driving is the best option given the relatively low cost of gas, the tolls, and that there are cheaper places to park than those right near the Garden. Last thing you want to do is either miss an overtime because you have to catch the last train out or, worse, watch the overtime and, indeed, miss the last train.

Chuck, I was at the '78 Beanpot. Weather forecasting back then wasn't anywhere near what it is now but the reports we had were dire. But regardless, I drove in from Lynn, parked under the Central Artery (remember that) and met my wife inside the lobby at North Station. We watched the first game and part of the second before we decided it was time to leave. It was a bit of an adventure getting home but, as luck would have it, we turned into our street and there in front of us was a plow making its way. We barely got into the driveway where the car sat for the next week. There were folks who wound up staying at the Garden for a night but, fortunately, we weren't among them.
              Last edited by Greg A; 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                First of all, I would say that given the recent issues with the T and the commuter rail, issues that only exacerbate historical failures that both have had in the 50 years I have been riding them (less frequently now), one is taking a risk in relying on them to commute you from and to NH. Easy for me to say that driving is the better option since I live 20 minutes from the Garden by car. But driving is the best option given the relatively low cost of gas, the tolls, and that there are cheaper places to park than those right near the Garden. Last thing you want to do is either miss an overtime because you have to catch the last train out or, worse, watch the overtime and, indeed, miss the last train.
                One of the old USCHO posters (still with us, but not active here or at The Whitt) always used to make contingency plans, and took the commuter rail in to the games, but had me as a fall-back in case the late game (usually UNH) ran past the final train departure to NH. He never had to cash in that insurance policy, but it's funny to see how we've all dealt with the logistics of getting in and out of town.

Chuck, I was at the '78 Beanpot. Weather forecasting back then wasn't anywhere near what it is now but the reports we had were dire. But regardless, I drove in from Lynn, parked under the Central Artery (remember that) and met my wife inside the lobby at North Station. We watched the first game and part of the second before we decided it was time to leave. It was a bit of an adventure getting home but, as luck would have it, we turned into our street and there in front of us was a plow making its way. We barely got into the driveway where the car sat for the next week. There were folks who wound up staying at the Garden for a night but, fortunately, we weren't among them.
                Sounds like you lucked out (or made a really good call) on when to leave, Greg. But yeah, I do remember the old neighborhood around the old Garden/North Station. Always felt like an extended cave at street level, what with the overhead trains up and down Causeway Street (including the Orange Line elevated until they moved that underground) and the nearby Central Artery. All of that is gone now, with the Green Line elevated the last to go, which makes the area much cleaner and brighter.

But I'm surprised it's been close to 20 years now, and they still haven't done anything with the large parcel in front of the TD Garden where the old Garden used to stand. I know they had development plans back when it first opened, and maybe that stuff got put on hold after 9/11/2001 for security purposes (and later due to the economic downturn), but with the recent uptick in commercial building all around the city (and across the river), you gotta think that will change before the decade is out.

Comment

But I'm surprised it's been close to 20 years now, and they still haven't done anything with the large parcel in front of the TD Garden where the old Garden used to stand. I know they had development plans back when it first opened, and maybe that stuff got put on hold after 9/11/2001 for security purposes (and later due to the economic downturn), but with the recent uptick in commercial building all around the city (and across the river), you gotta think that will change before the decade is out.
                  I think I heard that there's a big proposal going to the Boston Redevelopment Association that is using that parcel. It was two towers but after some community feedback, changed to one. Couldn't immediately find a link to it.
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuck Murray;6127756 But I'm surprised it's been close to 20 years now, and they still haven't done anything with the large parcel in front of the TD Garden where the old Garden used to stand. I know they had development plans back when it first opened, and maybe that stuff got put on hold after 9/11/2001 for security purposes (and later due to the economic downturn), but with the recent uptick in commercial building all around the city (and across the river), you gotta think that will change before the decade is out.[/QUOTE]

The new Garden opened in 1994. In that 20+ years the Jacobs family has done jack to spruce up the area. Contrast the state of Causeway Street, which could be a great boulevard with great choices for food and drink, with the area around Fenway Park. Now some say that John Henry et al have overrun the area but the expansion of business on Brookline Ave., Boylston St., and Lansdowne St. since Henry took over in 2002 (that's 13 years) is nothing short of amazing. The Fens used to be dark and dingy just like the area around the Garden, full of old warehouses, cheap bars, gas stations and parking lots. Causeway and the general Garden area is still rundown. If you stand at the Flying Bobby statue and look across the street, you can tell how dingy the area still is. Taking down the elevated should have been a catalyst for immediate improvements, with the major landowner in the area, Jeremy Jacobs, taking the lead.Now, like Henry, he couldn't and wouldn't want to do alone, but he could have and should have been a major investor. And as far as the nothing area in front of the new Garden, he's owned that since he bought the old Garden in the '70's. Frankly he should be embarrassed that he's done nothing with the parcel until now. Jacobs has always had the reputation as a cheap owner (only the salary cap era has saved the Bruins) and nothing says it more than the conditions around his neighborhood. Once a hot dog salesman, always a hot dog salesman.

Comment

I hear you! Although the Downeaster (my sister who lives in Dover takes it into Cambridge frequently) is MUCH more reliable than the MBTA / MBRC / Keolis excuse for a "train." So that's less of a risk. Not having the AC is bad enough, but the past year they have been not on schedule and frequently breaking down. Plus, they are so overcrowded now that people are standing in the aisles more than you would imagine. Not fun!!! But it IS a good point about Wellington. The first game may be 0-0 in the 5th OT. Ha ha
                      The T's a mess, the train is going to leave the station without me if games go into OT. I'm so confused!!! Actually, I like JB's solution. I'm going to head to Wellington and take my chances with that after rethinking the OT possibilities. Tell Eichel to take it easy on us will ya?
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Tell Eichel to take it easy on us will ya?
                        Let me think....nah

Comment

The new Garden opened in 1994. In that 20+ years the Jacobs family has done jack to spruce up the area. Contrast the state of Causeway Street, which could be a great boulevard with great choices for food and drink, with the area around Fenway Park. Now some say that John Henry et al have overrun the area but the expansion of business on Brookline Ave., Boylston St., and Lansdowne St. since Henry took over in 2002 (that's 13 years) is nothing short of amazing. The Fens used to be dark and dingy just like the area around the Garden, full of old warehouses, cheap bars, gas stations and parking lots. Causeway and the general Garden area is still rundown. If you stand at the Flying Bobby statue and look across the street, you can tell how dingy the area still is. Taking down the elevated should have been a catalyst for immediate improvements, with the major landowner in the area, Jeremy Jacobs, taking the lead. Now, like Henry, he couldn't and wouldn't want to do alone, but he could have and should have been a major investor. And as far as the nothing area in front of the new Garden, he's owned that since he bought the old Garden in the '70's. Frankly he should be embarrassed that he's done nothing with the parcel until now. Jacobs has always had the reputation as a cheap owner (only the salary cap era has saved the Bruins) and nothing says it more than the conditions around his neighborhood. Once a hot dog salesman, always a hot dog salesman.
                          Agreed. There's so much development going on now (and on the books in the near future) all around the extended West End neighborhood, but within a tight radius of the Jacobs' landmark property ... nothing.

Heck, there's more development going on right now in downtown Durham than around the Garden.

Comment

Agreed. There's so much development going on now (and on the books in the near future) all around the extended West End neighborhood, but within a tight radius of the Jacobs' landmark property ... nothing.

Heck, there's more development going on right now in downtown Durham than around the Garden.
                            Not a big fan of what has transpired in Durham. No thought of the scale of buildings either on Main St., Madbury Rd or the general area. UNH is not unique in this but schools are now headed toward off loading student housing responsibilities to private developers. My daughter lives in Ithaca and the same thing is happening out there, the construction of buildings totally out of character with what made the town attractive in the first place.

Comment

Yes...and the BU/Vermont game didn't start until around 11:00 p.m. if I recall. We got smoked and it was almost as if nobody cared (or was awake). Even one of the longtime BU diehards who was sitting in front of me left after the 1st period (although I didn't know at the time that she had cancer and actually passed away shortly after). So, yeah, that definitely justifies your train phobia!!
                              I think it was a 2-1 final score (maybe 3-1 with an ENG). BU had a 1-0, lead, then UNH scored twice in quick succession -- a Brett Bennett special.
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                                I think it was a 2-1 final score (maybe 3-1 with an ENG). BU had a 1-0, lead, then UNH scored twice in quick succession -- a Brett Bennett special.
                                Yes, 3-1. But it was one of those games where you could just feel that they could have played 10 periods and we just weren't going to win...you know what I mean? I remember going to that Beanpot consolation game against Harvard in what, 2010? The game against UVM was as dead of an atmosphere as that. Plus, everyone was either emotionally drained from that wild BC/UNH or ready to fall asleep (in fact, there were people in the stands with young children that WERE asleep). Just a dreadful night. So, yes, I can understand those who prefer the first game for that reason. I'm just saying that if your team plays first and loses, then it's not a very fun night for the 2nd game.

Comment

Working...
                                X