Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Re: Pesce
    UVM's (Senior) Paliotta signs with Blackhawks
    http://sbnation.com/e/8061260?utm_ca...source=twitter
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Actually he's going to be 67 next season, do I have that right? No matter...I'm thinking he wants to see where this team goes but to be honest..I'm speculating two years max for him..and I think that has been echoed here before. Not worth getting on a 'retirement watch' ask Michigan. Proud of the work he and his staff did this season...that's enough for me. For now. Fast forward to next season, this time of year, hoping we are in a Regional..
      Just to be clear, I think that Umile's next best chance for getting his team back to the NCAAs is three years from now, when he is 69 and this year's freshmen are seniors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Just to be clear, I think that Umile's next best chance for getting his team back to the NCAAs is three years from now, when he is 69 and this year's freshmen are seniors.
        Just getting in or chance at a deep run?
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
          Just getting in or chance at a deep run?
          I am thinking both, IF we see a couple or three more recruiting classes similar to this year's, which certainly looks promising to me from what C-H-C has been posting on the recruits thread this past year. I am really optimistic that we have turned that corner. We could even make a deep run in two years when Kelleher is a senior.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I am thinking both, IF we see a couple or three more recruiting classes similar to this year's, which certainly looks promising to me from what C-H-C has been posting on the recruits thread this past year. I am really optimistic that we have turned that corner. We could even make a deep run in two years when Kelleher is a senior.
            I don't see any reason why they couldn't sneak in next year, so long as the players continue to develop like they did at the tail end of last season. I'm sure one or two of the seniors will step up, as did Thrush this past season (and even Camper towards the end), and the rest of the younger guys will be better prepared to hit the ground (ice?) running (skating?) in October.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              At this point with recruiting baked in three years in advance, we know the players who will finish out Umile's career. The issue is at what point the 99s and 00s get an idea of who they would play for.

Re: Pesce
              The skinny on Pesce please? Property of Carolina, they have to sign him by August or he is a free agent. Question, does he look at Carolina, a floundering organization located in a town where hockey is third or fourth on the totem pole behind college hoops, pro football and most likely college football. Does Carolina love him enough to make a good offer or do they see a kid who needs more development. If Pesce sees Carolina as not a good option, he will wait and sign with someone else. If he sees Carolina as a real opportunity, then he will sign with them. Either way, based on his second half performance, I think he is ready for the next step and will leave. Hope not, but that's the reality, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                The skinny on Pesce please? Property of Carolina, they have to sign him by August or he is a free agent. Question, does he look at Carolina, a floundering organization located in a town where hockey is third or fourth on the totem pole behind college hoops, pro football and most likely college football. Does Carolina love him enough to make a good offer or do they see a kid who needs more development. If Pesce sees Carolina as not a good option, he will wait and sign with someone else. If he sees Carolina as a real opportunity, then he will sign with them. Either way, based on his second half performance, I think he is ready for the next step and will leave. Hope not, but that's the reality, don't you think?
                Carolina has until August 2016 - a year and a half from now - to sign Pesce. Mike Paliotta, a UVM defenseman who, like Pesce, was drafted in the 3rd round (2011 by Chicago in his case), chose to play his senior season at Vermont. He was their captain. He just signed a contract with the Blackhawks.

No doubt, the Blackhawks wanted to sign Paliotta last March/April at the end of his junior season. They were hungry enough for defensemen that they signed free agent Trevor van Riemsdyk. Paliotta did not accept the offer and returned to Vermont to lead his team. One year goes by and now the Blackhawks really wanted to sign Paliotta before he became a free agent this August. One can imagine that the Blackhawks offered Paliotta at least the same amount of money (probably more) to sign yesterday as they did a year ago. By returning to Vermont, Paliotta improved his leverage in the bargaining process.

The quote from Red Berenson came from a series of tweets by Jason Rubinstein yesterday. Coach Berenson was not pleased that one of his stars, Andrew Copp, left early. Copp, a junior at Michigan and 4th round pick of Winnipeg, chose to leave Ann Arbor and sign with the Jets. Copp centered Michigan's first line and was their third leading scorer with 14 goals and 17 assists.
                http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/...-winnipeg-jets

Berenson also said:
                "I gave him all the reasons he should stay. It’s not a rush. It’s an emotional thing. It was a tough three days the way he explained it. He thinks the opportunity is exceptional, but they tell you all those things and you believe them. I just wish he would stay and do it right — graduate with your teammates and classmates. Take this team to another level. We lost to a senior-laden Minnesota team. Well, how about a senior-laden Michigan team? I just told Andrew that I hope he makes it and plays in the NHL next year because I will feel sick if he is playing in the minors and giving up his senior year at Michigan to play in the American Hockey League.”
                Since he hasn't signed yet, nobody knows whether Brett Pesce will leave UNH early or return for his senior season. It's quite possible that Brett doesn't know for sure. He and his advisors will weigh all the options, including the factors that Coach Berenson articulated, and Brett will decide what's best for him.
                Last edited by C-H-C; 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Welp am heading off to the Regionals...and a weekend of lax officiating to boot. Maybe see a few UNH fans down there hey it could happen! Go 'BU???? Sigh...
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Love the discussion of the pros and cons of Pesce leaving/staying. Enlightening.

I have a gut feeling (nothing else) he will stay. He is young, healthy, and (as Greg points out) Carolina is hardly a glamorous NHL destination - especially in contrast with Paliotta and Chicago. But ANY destination can get a whole lot more glamorous if there is a contract with lots of zeros in it. And I don't think Pesce can expect or command that kind of cash at this stage of his career. With another season under his belt, he is still only 21 and has the breadth of the entire NHL (or even beyond?) to entertain offers from.

And that is all moot if Carolina loves him and makes him a rich young man. I'm just not convinced that's going to happen though, but we'll probably find out sooner than later IF he is leaving.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

FWIW, the "Hurricanes Prospects Discussion" thread on the Hockey's Future Board doesn't mention Brett Pesce very much other than to speculate that Carolina probably will offer him a contract. Posters mention lack of forward prospects in the Carolina system.

Comment

Thirty minutes away from three days of the best TV viewing of the college hockey season ....

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          Thirty minutes away from three days of the best TV viewing of the college hockey season ....
                          Dan Parkhurst is the play-by-play announcer for the BU-Yale game on ESPNU right now.

Comment

Looks like pesce has signed according to Carolina Twitter feed

Comment

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=760095
                              Best of luck to him. Hope he sees more NHL ice time than AHL next season.

This increases the chances that Nick Nonis enrolls next fall. He and Joseph Masonius would be the two freshman defensemen.
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=760095
                                Best of luck to him. Hope he sees more NHL ice time than AHL next season.
                                Yes...wishing him well. There goes the neighborhood!
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X