This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    JB.... The Wednesday noon rule actually started, at least partially, as a result of me getting arrested outside Snively the night of a PC game in 1991. There were about 100 fans waiting to get in with our athletic passes, when the door folks came out to tell us that they athletic department had sold out the same to the general public. I and 3 fraternity brothers ended up being the last men standing, arguing the principle of the athletic pass, and were eventually given the choice to disperse or be arrested. For whatever reason, I decided this was my last chance on a college campus to be part of civil disobedience (what a rebel - ha!), and chose to be arrested.

In any event, I was booked on a misdemeanor, which ultimately was pled down to a violation and I got off with a $25 fine.

The point is, it made the front page of the New Hampshire the next morning, and while the university actually had the right to do what they did at the time of my arrest, they ultimately changed the rule to give the students a mid-week deadline.

Tried to hide the arrest from my folks, but the daughter of the AD at Bishop Guertin (where I went to school), was a fellow UNH'er and passed it along to her mom, who then mailed it to me.

I found the article a few weeks back when I was packing to move to a new home in DC. In one of my trips back to the States (and after my better half and I get moved), I will post a pic of the article. Now can someone explain to me how to do that?

Speaking of BG, at least I got one hockey championship out of this season. Go 'Cards!!!
    I agree with Ref, great story, DC. Looking forward to seeing photo and article.

But, on to another topic: next year's team. Can the incoming frosh make up for the loss of Downing, Willows, Thrush, Camper, and maybe Pesce, as apparently this year's frosh did for last year's graduating seniors? Need to look for last year's senior class numbers. More important for the next two years, as we have two very weak ascending senior classes, even more so next year if Pesce leaves.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

RSA 178:22 (u)
      (u) sports/entertainment complex.
      (1) the commission may issue a cocktail lounge license to the owner of a sports/entertainment complex, or any operator or designee contracting with the owner of the complex. Such license shall allow the sale or service of liquor and beverage in any clearly defined areas approved by the commission. Liquor and beverage shall be sold only at such times as a fee is charged for admission to an event at the sports/entertainment complex. liquor and beverage shall not be sold or consumed in stadium or skybox seating at any intercollegiate or interscholastic event. the provisions of rsa 178:22, ii shall not apply to this license.
      http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...178/178-22.htm

Reading this, there is seemingly nothing stopping the Whitt from having a beer garden type setup if we had a function room or other controlled area attached to the concourse like Tsongas Center does. Shame that it would be too friggin cold in January out at the Whitt's old smoking exit to do it. There would also be nothing stopping the Whitt from putting their own safeguard in place; for example both the TD Garden and Agganis Arena require you be 25 years of age if you have an out of state driver's license. And the convenience store in downtown Durham won't sell to under [enter arbitrary age here, 30?] without two forms of ID.
      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-24-2015, 06:13 AM.
      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

As you guys know, almost every other arena has such an area, if not for beer and liquor but so that friends groups can get together between periods....for UNH the Alumni Center, for obvious reasons doesn't work here.....probably the ROI isn't great enough for the expenditure.....

Comment

House budget writers begin finalizing their plan:
          http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...0621/150329682

"The committee also approved reducing the funding for the University System of New Hampshire by $13.4 million from Hassan’s recommendation, and the Community College System of New Hampshire by $5.2 million... although there is less money for higher education than Hassan proposed, both systems will receive more funding in the coming biennium than in the current two-year plan."
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Twitter rumor mill has Grayson D about to sign a pro contract...
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I agree with Ref, great story, DC. Looking forward to seeing photo and article.

But, on to another topic: next year's team. Can the incoming frosh make up for the loss of Downing, Willows, Thrush, Camper, and maybe Pesce, as apparently this year's frosh did for last year's graduating seniors? Need to look for last year's senior class numbers. More important for the next two years, as we have two very weak ascending senior classes, even more so next year if Pesce leaves.
              Good question as replacing that line will be tough (maybe as tough as replacing Goumas Sorkin Willows the year before). Even tho it took the better part of the season a top line did emerge that was comparable. I don't have a read on next year's Frosh...but we do have the TK line and McNicholas and Salvaggio are looking to advance obviously. Not so sure one can totally write off the Seniors like MacDonald, Gaudreault and hey even Jamie Hill entirely. Not to mention Dan
              Correalle who spent a few games in the top line. Alot can happen over the summer..

I'm looking for more from Eiserman and Foegele personally and Marcus Vela had a great season (yes?). Thinking it's the D that has me more concerned esp if Pesce splits but not as concerned as this year with our GK stuff (which worked out well). BvR...will he come and what will he bring to the ice is intriguing as well.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

ICYMI the UNH v BU replay is on NESN right now 3:30 fist period play almost over..
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Yup Grayson Downing is close to making a decision regarding the Minnesota Wild! Congrats Grayson D!

Comment

"UNH Senior Grayson Downing Very Likely To Sign With Minnesota Wild"

It's now official:

"Update: UNH Senior Grayson Downing Signs With Minnesota Wild"
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 03-24-2015, 09:52 PM.
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Very exciting for Grayson...wish him the best! Wonder who's next...?

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        As you guys know, almost every other arena has such an area, if not for beer and liquor but so that friends groups can get together between periods....for UNH the Alumni Center, for obvious reasons doesn't work here.....probably the ROI isn't great enough for the expenditure.....
                        I bet it would...and if they would allow season tix holders to park there for a few games and then have some kind of reception, I know a few peeps who would be there! I do believe there are receptions of some kind upstairs in the Whitt for Center Ice members of the FOMH but not sure if that's an every game kind of thing where you can indeed get a brewski.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          I bet it would...and if they would allow season tix holders to park there for a few games and then have some kind of reception, I know a few peeps who would be there! I do believe there are receptions of some kind upstairs in the Whitt for Center Ice members of the FOMH but not sure if that's an every game kind of thing where you can indeed get a brewski.
                          Alcohol is served in the large reception area upstairs separated by solid wall behind the box suites (different from Tsongas, which is on the same level as the main seating), but as noted above, alcohol is not allowed in the box suites, which are obviously open to the rink for viewing (hey, cannot have people in the suites pouring beer from their glasses down to the students anxiously holding out their empty cups below, like grabbing for the chits dropped from the blimp).
                          Last edited by Snively65; 03-25-2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Very exciting for Grayson...wish him the best! Wonder who's next...?
                            Maybe Poturalski in three years?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Alcohol is served in the large reception area upstairs separated by solid wall behind the box suites (different from Tsongas, which is on the same level as the main seating), but as noted above, alcohol is not allowed in the box suites, which are obviously open to the rink for viewing (hey, cannot have people in the suites pouring beer from there glasses down to the students anxiously holding out their empty cups below, like grabbing for the chits dropped from the blimp).
                              Would make that between periods "student shower" promotion much more interesting.
                              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM.
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X