X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Kinda a sore spot, as a few years ago when Merrimack knocked us out of the Hockey East tourney at the Garden, someone at Mac knew someone at the Garden that allowed them to blare the Chicago Black Hawks goal song whenever their team scored. How humiliating!
    Not as humiliating as having 13,000 at the Garden one week and only a few hundred at the Verizon Wireless for the NCAA's the next. How quickly the wheels fell off the Merrimack bandwagon that year...
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Kinda a sore spot, as a few years ago when Merrimack knocked us out of the Hockey East tourney at the Garden, someone at Mac knew someone at the Garden that allowed them to blare the Chicago Black Hawks goal song whenever their team scored. How humiliating!
      UGH...and people who know me best know how much I HATE that goal song...double UGH.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Question noticed at the Garden when a team would score there was no goal horn...is that a HE rule for a neutral site or do they want to keep the celly' down to a min to move the game along? Just curious....
        I HATE that goal horn...where did that start anyway? Chicago Stadium? I remember in the 70s the Slapshot movie had a goal "buzzer." I remember thinking, this is made up for Hollywood...I had never heard any "buzzer." It was a red light and a whistle, period. But they have to embellish everything. So then the "horn" evolved from that. Yuck! The constant non-stop "noise" at these arenas is so annoying It's like there is zero attention span so they have to "entertain" you every second. At Hockey East last weekend the girl in front of me never even looked at the ice ONCE...she was on her phone on Facebook all night. (and that's probably the reason I made the comment about the "dead" atmosphere...how can anyone get excited when nobody is actually watching the game?) That's the end of my rant...

EDIT: I hope Scarlet doesn't see this because I'm sure I'll get chastised again for "complaining." Opinions are not welcome...
        Last edited by chickod; 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/hockey-east-blo...#ixzz3VDgtnKzV

New Hampshire finished the season at the level of an NCAA tournament team. Yes, the Wildcats dug themselves a deep hole in the first half of the season, but over the second half they proved themselves to be on par with teams getting the invite to the big dance. In that time, UNH counted five wins against NCAA tournament-bound teams, including a quarterfinal series win over Providence.
          And although the Wildcats fell to eventual champion BU on Friday, they acquited themselves very well indeed.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

NCAA Single Session Tickets Now Available:
            http://www.ticketmaster.com/venueart...72020_25235179

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              I HATE that goal horn...where did that start anyway? Chicago Stadium? I remember in the 70s the Slapshot movie had a goal "buzzer." I remember thinking, this is made up for Hollywood...I had never heard any "buzzer." It was a red light and a whistle, period. But they have to embellish everything. So then the "horn" evolved from that. Yuck! The constant non-stop "noise" at these arenas is so annoying It's like there is zero attention span so they have to "entertain" you every second. At Hockey East last weekend the girl in front of me never even looked at the ice ONCE...she was on her phone on Facebook all night. (and that's probably the reason I made the comment about the "dead" atmosphere...how can anyone get excited when nobody is actually watching the game?) That's the end of my rant...
              Totally agree. It's one of the reasons why I really couldn't care less about getting a video screen(s) at The Whitt. I understand the arguments for selling the facility, being able to show replays, etc. But at The Garden, I noticed they use the center ice video screens to show the ongoing on-ice action as well. Why would they want to do that?? If I wanted to watch the game on the video screen, I could have stayed home, saved $100 on the pair of tickets (and another $50 on transportation and concessions), invited a few friends over, and at least matched the *atmosphere* at the live event.

So many teams/programs have spent so much time and effort trying to attract the casual fans, they've sterilized the live experience for the rest of us. The problem with "casual" fans is that (shockingly) ... they are casual, and they will come and go. Your hardcore fans will be there, come thick or thin. Cater to THEM. AND cater to the students. The other stuff will fall into place.

UNH has spent a decade (plus?) catering to the casual fans at The Whitt. How's that been working?

Something for the Apathetic - oops, err ... Athletic Director's office to consider ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                ...at The Garden, I noticed they use the center ice video screens to show the ongoing on-ice action as well. Why would they want to do that??
                I think because sometimes (we happened to have great seats) you can't see some of the action either in the corners or down the opposite end, especially if you're sitting down low on the end.

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                So many teams/programs have spent so much time and effort trying to attract the casual fans, they've sterilized the live experience for the rest of us. The problem with "casual" fans is that (shockingly) ... they are casual, and they will come and go. Your hardcore fans will be there, come thick or thin. Cater to THEM. AND cater to the students. The other stuff will fall into place.
                I agree. But "their" argument would be (as everything else) a revenue-based one. They need every seat they can get filled. $$$ drives every decision. There aren't enough hard-core fans to support what they are looking to do (or pay for). They need the "pink hats," so we have to accept it. It's just hard for me personally to understand why someone would pay (fill in price here) to sit there, talk all night to the person next to you and not watch the game, or get up and down 50 times to get food. But they're simply products of today's world. They weren't around when we used to go to the dingy Garden (or Fenway) and were perfectly happy to listen to John Kiley play the organ, or Sherm Feller announce "Leading off for the Red Sox, #1, Joe Foy. Third Base. Foy." I know I will be accused of being a crusty old fart, but, as they say, you're most comfortable with what you grew up with. What's hard to accept for us is perfectly normal for them. I'm not constantly one of those "those were the good 'ole days people, but in a lot of ways I still am.
                Last edited by chickod; 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Went to a F-cats game last summer. Music blaring between EVERY PITCH. Baseball lends itself to in game analysis conversation more than any sport plus we are IN A PARK fer chrissakes!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Went to a F-cats game last summer. Music blaring between EVERY PITCH. Baseball lends itself to in game analysis conversation more than any sport plus we are IN A PARK fer chrissakes!
                    +1000

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      I think because sometimes (we happened to have great seats) you can't see some of the action either in the corners or down the opposite end, especially if you're sitting down low on the end.

I agree. But "their" argument would be (as everything else) a revenue-based one. They need every seat they can get filled. $$$ drives every decision. There aren't enough hard-core fans to support what they are looking to do (or pay for). They need the "pink hats," so we have to accept it. It's just hard for me personally to understand why someone would pay (fill in price here) to sit there, talk all night to the person next to you and not watch the game, or get up and down 50 times to get food. But they're simply products of today's world. They weren't around when we used to go to the dingy Garden (or Fenway) and were perfectly happy to listen to John Kiley play the organ, or Sherm Feller announce "Leading off for the Red Sox, #1, Joe Foy. Third Base. Foy." I know I will be accused of being a crusty old fart, but, as they say, you're most comfortable with what you grew up with. What's hard to accept for us is perfectly normal for them. I'm not constantly one of those "those were the good 'ole days people, but in a lot of ways I still am.
                      My seat for the UNH-BU was on the redline, so no problem with sight lines from there, but I found myself frequently nodding up slightly at the center ice scoreboard to check the time remaining on penalties, and the almighty SOG, of course. Downside was the aisle seat, from which I had to stand up and step into the aisle several times during each period to let people out. A lot of these folks were glued to their smart phones the entire game.

But, Fenway is much worse. In years past, I would take in several games per season with a friend who has had held two primo right field box seats for over 20 years. Problem is that they are aisle seats, so we need to stand up and step into the aisle to let people out between every half inning, so at least 17 times, and sometimes more each game. Last year was my first no show at Fenway in over a decade, and I did not miss it at all. Game is now way too boring for me watching the pitcher step off the mound and the batters step out of the box dozens of times every inning.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

But, Fenway is much worse.
                        I had season tickets from 1988-99. When I first got my seats (and these were FABULOUS seats...Box 116...1st base line looking right down the 3rd base line toward the wall) they were $16.50. When I gave them up, they were $48. And now I think they're double that. And we were right over the exit ramp, meaning we weren't affected by the big concourse...we could see over that - just put our coats on the railing, put our feet up and watch. Never had to stand up for anybody. But...I couldn't justify getting home at 1:00 a.m. after every night game. I got married in 1994 and my wife and I went for five years before we just realized that it was ridiculous and preventing us from having a life.

Comment

If memory serves, my C's tix went from $8 > $73 over a dozen years.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            In the case of UNH Hockey, I'm not sure I agree with the need to chase casual "pink hats", chickod. We now have the benefit of hindsight to look back at how things have played out over the last 20 years at The Whitt with Men's Hockey to test some of the theories and preconceptions. And I'm convinced UNH has been extremely short-sighted in its overall marketing approach, especially over the last decade-plus. Of course, that time coincides almost entirely with the reign of the marketing pseudo-genius that is BS35+goingon2. Let's look back and see how things have unfolded ...

* You gotta start with the opening of The Whitt in late '95. They built the place at roughly double the capacity of the existing arena (Snively) and towards the end of the Snively era, they were pretty much filling every seat (or close) fairly regularly. The program was definitely on the rise competitively at the time, but they still had quite a ways to go to get to the top of Hockey East, not to mention making an imprint on the national scene. But the excitement (and fan support) was there in the late Snively years, and they carried it over in the year where they spent a full year away from Durham.

* Now for maybe THE most overlooked decision ever made to grow the UNH fanbase statewide ... in the '94/'95 season, UNH played a full season of home games at JFK Coliseum in Manchester. Smaller than even Snively, but smack dab in the middle of the biggest city in the State of NH. Most of the Durham diehards did the travel for that season, but the program also had a fabulous opportunity to market to what was then a fallow, underserved hockey market in the center of the state (Manchester/Concord/Nashua). Which then led to ...

* The Whittemore Center opens in late '95. In the offseason that year, UNH had concerns about whether they could fill the facility they'd just finished building. In the pre-Internet "dark ages" of print media, UNH was very active in running print and media ads for ticket packages to (most notably) the Boston area college hockey fans (i.e. BU, BC, NU and I believe Harvard as well). I thought it was visionary when the school built such a big building to begin with, and the ad campaigns almost seemed defensive to a degree, as if they were second-guessing the decison to build so big. But there was no need to worry, as the ticket sales ensured most of the seats were sold that season, and going forwards there were no weird out-of-state marketing efforts. I have to believe the buzz that came with the new building, the number of die-hards in the area AND the new fans they tapped into by playing that season at JFK all worked to fill that building in '95/'96 (BTW a rare losing season on the ice) AND the numerous full-capacity seasons that followed.

* The program continued to steadily build through the coming seasons, leading to the first trip to the Frozen Four in '98 and the first trip to the FF Finals in '99 of the Umile era. This was all pre-BS35, the program was hot AND facility was regularly filled. Home games were regularly on TV, whether it be NHPTV or other outlets. The radio network was probably at its apex as well. The legendary "waiting list" for the right to buy season tickets was steadily growing. The Internet had also arrived in earnest. UNH may not have been the most tech-savvy or marketing-savvy program at the time, but they were making great decisions, and revenue was not in short supply. And you could have discussions about the viability of adding a balcony to The Whitt without drawing strange "are you nuts?" glances.

* Amidst the amazing momentum that was going on around the UNH Men's Hockey program, events began to unfold that would change the hockey landscape around the program. Between the two build-ups to two consecutive Frozen Four trips ('98/'99 and then '02/'03), UNH AD Judy Ray was replaced by the current AD (who back then was only BSalmost25). Coach Umile's future had been solidified by the former in one of her last acts, which (like it or not) would produce the program's final two FF appearances. In the meantime, the Manchester hockey market was being transformed by the construction of the VWA and the arrival of the AHL's Manchester Monarchs, which both hit the ground running in 2001. UNH - selling out The Whitt regularly, and coming up with new and inventive ways to soak the season-ticket holding diehards - sat back and shrugged their institutional shoulders. "Solutions" were to *modernize* the look of the uniforms, tinker with the musical playlist, and try to enhance the "family atmosphere" at The Whitt (i.e. catering to casual fans).

* For NH hockey fans arguably these were the glory years, with UNH, the Monarchs, and not too far away the Lowell Lock Monsters all catering to the southern NH hockey market. And UNH fans who struggled to get home game tickets could travel less than an hour to see HE road games in Lowell, North Andover and the Greater Boston area. You don't get any more die-hard or hardcore than going on the road to follow your team. The UNH traveling contigent was legendary in its numbers in these years, literally turning road games in Lowell and at Merrimack into home games, and matching (if not exceeding) the much more local BU and BC contingents when it came to the HE Tourney at the then-Fleet Center.

* At first, UNH would pack out the VWA for annual games with Dartmouth in January, but as time passed, UNH grew satisfied with managing the "waiting list" and plugging in new season ticket holders in place of old-timers who were increasingly annoyed with the latest schemes to reach into their wallet, rather than to reward their dedication. Satisfaction turned into complacency, which seeped into the program as the 2003 FF Finals became smaller and more distant in the rear-view window. The atmosphere at The Whitt was increasingly sterile, and while revenue was no doubt steady, the rot was setting in below the surface.

* As the first decade of the century played out, UNH teams were still competitive on the ice, but not quite up to the levels of teams earlier in the Umile era. There were some recruiting issues that seemed relatively minor, but the UNH admin (who'd ridden happily on the coattails of Men's Hockey as the primary emissary for the school's PR/publicity needs) decided now would be a good time to make things more difficult for the program to maintain previous competitive standards. Well-known postseason shortcomings were taking their toll on the fanbase, and the "waiting list" gradually disappeared, while empty seats at The Whitt eventually took their place. A decade's worth of pandering to "casual fans" would not be able to stem the tide. The "buzz" was gone, and the momentum was going in the wrong direction. Again, the UNH AD's office shrugged, gradually and increasingly turning its gaze towards the Football program.

So here we are now. On the ice, arguably UNH is finally beginning to turn the tide, and to some degree, there seems to be the start of a favorable "buzz" of anticipation and expectation around the program for the first time in awhile. Off the ice though ... nothing I can see has changed. The complacency is astounding. And the opportunity is definitely there to win back fans, not the least with the looming departure of the Monarchs, to be replaced by a goon-league level team. We've asked some tough questions of Coach Umile over the recent seasons, and I think he's come through that process (at least in my mind) with renewed credibility.

Now it's time to ask equally tough questions of those people to whom Coach Umile reports. And burying their collective heads in the new toy that is the West Stadium project may have some validity, but it's a poor excuse for ignoring the program that put your school on the map in the first place. A generation ago, Men's Hockey was the transformational force that led UNH into a bold new era. Now on the doorstep of another transformational era, Hockey is being allowed to flounder without the necessary support of the folks at the very top of the food chain. Complacency towards the hockey program has already seen one highly respected head coach frozen out of his job opportunistically in the aftermath of a questionable *incident* last season. The head coach on the other side of the program now has to be wondering if the AD's strategy towards his future is to wait for an opportune time to arrange for his departure.

Just sayin' ... over to you, BS35+goingon2, time to show us your stuff.
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Veering off topic to the right, it is NH biennial budget time again. This year is looking like a repeat of 4 years ago. HHS and especially DOT funding is taking a beating. Some Republicans are actually proposing gasoline tax hikes. Yeah, Republicans, that's how bad it is. I've not read or heard about USNH cuts, the tuition freeze offer may be one of the U system's finest plays ever. If USNH funding is cut and it plays out as it did 4 years ago, all departments including athletics will have some expenses to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                If memory serves, my C's tix went from $8 > $73 over a dozen years.
                                I had C's tickets from Bird's second year (1980-81) until the last year of the Garden (1993) in the stadium seats sorta behind the net. In that time they went fron $8.50 (can you imagine paying $8.50 to see Larry Bird, etc.!) to $29. I held on to see what my view would cost at the new Garden (it was $60) and what $29 would get me (last row in the balcony center court). Gave them up more because the Celts were going nowhere and no one, not even my wife, wanted to go anymore. It took another 15 years before they won, and in the process the game was devalued by too much one-on-one isolationmoves on the court and too much entertainment, other than the actual game, off it. I don't regret my decision one bit since it actually dovetailed with the resurgence of the Wildcats. My love of hoops, especially the pros, has gone way down. Hardly even watch anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X