So.Salvaggio--Sr.Gaudreault--Fr.BVR
    Sr.Hill --Fr.Kalinowski --Fr.Miller
    Jr.Bourque

Sr.Pesce--Fr.Masonius
    Jr.Cleland--So.Furgele
    Jr.Maller -- So.Marks
    Sr.Quast--So.Chanter
    So.Boyd
    I am not sure if you see one big line. It seems UNH does better when the lines have a dirty work player, see Thrush & Correale this year. Even in 98-99 it was Haydar who was good in dirty areas. I think you will see a Correale or Gaudreault on the first two lines. Or maybe a second line of Foegele, Blackburn, Eiserman. Eiserman is good at making space and dirty work, so can Blackburn and Foegele do the playmaking.

That setup also helps flow in zone. Umile like many coaches wants centers defensively responsible. So how do you really forecheck? You put Thrush on a wing. Defensively responsible winger, so if Downing goes in Thrush hangs back instead. So 3 man forecheck and defensive support.

Also lightens the load on your best centers a times. One of the keys to the year end run was finding that mix to allow Downing and Poturalski to be your best playmakers and I think the defensive responsibility of that wing helped too.
    Last edited by JB; 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
      I am not sure if you see one big line. It seems UNH does better when the lines have a dirty work player, see Thrush & Correale this year. Even in 98-99 it was Haydar who was good in dirty areas. I think you will see a Correale or Gaudreault on the first two lines. Or maybe a second line of Foegele, Blackburn, Eiserman. Eiserman is good at making space and dirty work, so can Blackburn and Foegele do the playmaking.

That setup also helps flow in zone. Umile like many coaches wants centers defensively responsible. So how do you really forecheck? You put Thrush on a wing. Defensively responsible winger, so if Downing goes in Thrush hangs back instead. So 3 man forecheck and defensive support.

Also lightens the load on your best centers a times. One of the keys to the year end run was finding that mix to allow Downing and Poturalski to be your best playmakers and I think the defensive responsibility of that wing helped too.
      Agree. Having a third "checking line" with all your best defensive forwards doesn't always make sense.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by JB View Post
        I am not sure if you see one big line. It seems UNH does better when the lines have a dirty work player, see Thrush & Correale this year. Even in 98-99 it was Haydar who was good in dirty areas.
        I always thought of Souza as the 'dirty work' grinder of that top line in 98-99
        Though, Krog was one of the best defensive forwards on that team, if I remember correctly, or maybe, they just had the puck all of the time, so they never had to worry about defense?

Comment

Here are our final offense numbers by classes.
          Sr 50 G + 55 A =103 Pts
          Jr 19 G + 47 A = 66 Pts
          So 24 G + 38 A = 62 Pts
          Fr 26 G + 65 A = 91 Pts

Goalie comparison:
          Tirone Clark
          Games 20 21
          Wins 14 5
          Losses 6 13
          GA 43 58
          Mins 1205 1187
          GAA 2.14 2.93
          SO 2 0
          SV 520 489
          SV% 0.924 0.894

Team missed 3.00 GPG by one goal, with 119 goals in 40 games, for 2.98 GPG, 19th in Div 1. So, we were under on Chuck's pre-season break point. We were also 2.73 goals against us, 36th in Div 1. So, we were under on that break point, despite our young D men and goalies. We were also 39th on PP, with only 16.56% success rate. So, bottom line is that offense was our weak link, and with 30% leaving next year (not counting Pesce), need another freshman class that can find the back of the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Thanks for the insight on the Pesce outlook, 'Watcher and C-H-C. I guess we'll see how much Carolina likes him during the offseason (probably sooner rather than later), and whether any offer is sufficient to lure Pesce to leave UNH and bypass his FA options after next season. The latter issue could be more important to Pesce than the former ... meaning if he returns to UNH for his senior season, it could be at least as much a matter of convenience for his long-term pro negotiating leverage than for any *loyalty* to the program.

That's not to underplay or discount the importance of the loyalty Pesce feels towards the program and his teammates. But if Carolina makes Pesce an "offer he can't refuse" his time in Durham will be over. If they don't, then it may be in his best interests to park his pro career for another year (and as pointed out, he is a young kid and will only be 21 after next season) and then review his options at that point, when he may have more leverage to entertain other bids. It also occurs to me that if Carolina isn't willing to pay him what he needs to leave early, they may trade his rights to someone else who will.

I'd be shocked if he hasn't already told Coach Umile what his plans are, and given a frank assessment of his outlook, since that might impact on decisions UNH would need to make to replace him IF he leaves ... so my guess is we'll find out the answer soon (before the banquet), especially if Carolina wants him to get some end-of-season AHL time (and possibly even an NHL "cup of coffee") under his belt to help prepare Pesce and their organization's plans for the season ahead.
            Have no clue of course what Brett and Coach U have discussed but remember that TvR's departure was a complete surprise to Coach U...still can hear him saying he didn't see it coming in a season ending interview (and no disrespect meant to TVR) And think that most of us were too...thinking his season ending injury would somehow keep him in Durham for his Sr. year. Was just wishful thinking on our part (or at least mine)

But those kids have got to go and do their thing. ND lost Vince H today two years ahead. This I have learned in my short tenure as a fan.. Goes with the territory so if Pesce leaves will wish him well!! But...hoping he stays!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

As I said earlier,,it's great to have Wildcat Nation's blood moving again! Like Chuck alluded too, I also hope that Umi and Coach Witt will get some support from Administration....I love Seano to death but UNH is a hockey school, not a football school! At best, it can be both but that takes equal commitment!!
              While the "Nation" is active here on the thread, consider supporting both hockey programs next year, eh....accept the women's game for itself, not the men's game and you'll grow to enjoy it....that way you'll have double the fun during the seasons.....cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Here are our final offense numbers by classes.
                Sr 50 G + 55 A =103 Pts
                Jr 19 G + 47 A = 66 Pts
                So 24 G + 38 A = 62 Pts
                Fr 26 G + 65 A = 91 Pts

Goalie comparison:
                Tirone Clark
                Games 20 21
                Wins 14 5
                Losses 6 13
                GA 43 58
                Mins 1205 1187
                GAA 2.14 2.93
                SO 2 0
                SV 520 489
                SV% 0.924 0.894

Team missed 3.00 GPG by one goal, with 119 goals in 40 games, for 2.98 GPG, 19th in Div 1. So, we were under on Chuck's pre-season break point. We were also 2.73 goals against us, 36th in Div 1. So, we were under on that break point, despite our young D men and goalies. We were also 39th on PP, with only 16.56% success rate. So, bottom line is that offense was our weak link, and with 30% leaving next year (not counting Pesce), need another freshman class that can find the back of the net.
                Interesting analysis Snively65!! And all along we thought our D was the weakest link... Of course that kind of goes back into the early to mid point of the season)excluding two of our Maine games and say our UNO game) where we scored 5 plus goals...Yep looking for some goal scorers and a couple of nifty 2 way defenseman (see...am learning new terms haha) Maybe Marsonius and Vela come in and learn real quick..Salvaggio and McNicholas find the spark early...Annddd that power play...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  As I said earlier,,it's great to have Wildcat Nation's blood moving again! Like Chuck alluded too, I also hope that Umi and Coach Witt will get some support from Administration....I love Seano to death but UNH is a hockey school, not a football school! At best, it can be both but that takes equal commitment!!
                  While the "Nation" is active here on the thread, consider supporting both hockey programs next year, eh....accept the women's game for itself, not the men's game and you'll grow to enjoy it....that way you'll have double the fun during the seasons.....cheers!
                  Hey Zoofer that is on my list to bring the Pom poms over to the women's game! Watched some of the NCAA / HE games and am impressed! Of course with UNH hosting next year's Frozen Four that is reason enough to check it out. Anyone got a spare video board or extra 'Tron they aren't using? Sigh....
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                    I always thought of Souza as the 'dirty work' grinder of that top line in 98-99
                    Though, Krog was one of the best defensive forwards on that team, if I remember correctly, or maybe, they just had the puck all of the time, so they never had to worry about defense?
                    Haydar was always hanging around the net and was slippery on the walls. Souza did wall work too. As for defence Krog was one of those guys in college that once he had the puck he rarely gave it up before he wanted.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Haydar was always hanging around the net and was slippery on the walls. Souza did wall work too. As for defence Krog was one of those guys in college that once he had the puck he rarely gave it up before he wanted.
                      Those were the days

Comment

Downing all Tourney team. Well deserved

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          You are right, technically he'd have to wait to August 15th, but as a practical matter, its the off season. So, much like the MLB "exlusive period" of the first 10 days of the offseason, virtually all players who have gone that far will go to free agency to see what else is out there.
                          To avoid being in that situation, NHL teams lock their college picks up after their junior year.
                          It is my understanding that the reason why teams grab players up after their junior year is not because of concerns that "virtually all players that have gone that far go to free agency" but because in a lot of cases it comes down to the age of the player. Sometimes you have players like Pesce or Eichel who come in so young that they aren't draft eligible until after their freshman year. It doesn't happen very often (like JVR who came in as a true freshman but still was drafted before his freshman year). But for players who started college hockey young enough where they aren't draft eligible until after their freshman year have the opportunity to play all 3 remaining college years without their respective NHL team losing it's rights. Now that doesn't mean he will stay, Johnny Gaudreau was drafted after his freshman year and Calgary decided to bring him in early. But it also leaves open the possibility that Carolina may not be forced into trying to sign Pesce now, as they are not handcuffed into doing it this offseason.

Comment

Wahhhhhh can't help but pout about not being part of the NCAA post season fun. Rant over.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH in the field is not a requirement for attending the VWA regional. C'mon down and see some great games. Go Terriers!
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                UNH in the field is not a requirement for attending the VWA regional. C'mon down and see some great games. Go Terriers!
                                Yeah I know...but it would be more fun if they were! Am considering it but can't make the first one on Friday and wonder if you can buy a single game tix for Saturday.. Normally you have to buy a two day pass as I recall back in 2013 my inaugural season as a fan!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X