PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence Skating Saints Lake Placid Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

critsports
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
I completely agree. I was there and had no problem finding parking within easy walking distance. Depending on when you tried to park, you may have had to take a shuttle bus, but I'm sure that system is well developed and implemented. Placid is a small town that's hosted many, many large international events. They know how to do it, while keeping their small village ambiance. And they did it well last night. Everywhere I walked it was team colors and discussions, and that was a real neat thing to experience, an entire village focused on one thing. For the flyers, may I suggest Saranac Lake airport.

Regarding the game, Colgate was the better team last night. Their speed and pressure created opportunities, kept us from getting into any kind of flow, made us pay dearly for mistakes. They just always seemed to be wherever we wanted to go, and they shut down lanes ferociously.

The better team except for the last 2 minutes of regulation and most of the OT. When SLU came out with the empty net, they played like a team possessed. There was no doubt, the game was going to be tied soon. Bayreuther shot 2 lasers at the goal, one that went in, and took care of the problem. They kept the pressure on until the end or regulation and came close to lightening striking twice, but just missed. I thought we were dominating OT and playing our best hockey of the game, until we let one mistake in a defensive corner cascade uncontrollably with the result----

Although I could not make it in person this year.....I too love the fact the tournament is there. Certainly it is an advantage for teams like ours....but, the whole town, the charm, the history, the ambience and the biggest thing to me is during that tournament it is OUR TOWN. It is ALL ECAC Hockey. My fondest memory there was us beating RPI in the finals in 2000. During the consolation game the Colgate and Cornell bands were having a battle back and forth, the stands were basically full even in the upper level, the place buzzed and the town itself just speaks to hockey. Yes a long drive but worth it.

I agree with most everything you wrote. Watching on TV the announcers kept commenting that Colgate was disrupting SLU's game and not allowing easy entry into the attacking zone. They kept standing us up at the Blue Line and not letting us carry the puck easily through the neutral zone. The other stat no one else mentioned is the fact we got killed on face offs. I think it was something like 46 Gate, 29 us. So, all too often regardless of zone that meant Colgate started off in control of the puck.

hockeyplayer1015
03-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Going in another direction-

I think that this result, while disappointing, probably means nobody will be leaving early to sign deals. We can guess there are at least 3 who could be (are?) drawing interest, but in my mind, with tasting Lake Placid and knowing just how close they are, they'll be back next year to make another run.

I'd love a Frozen Four run next season, seeing how it's in my back yard ;)

saintsdad
03-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Colgate was disrupting SLU's game and not allowing easy entry into the attacking zone. They kept standing us up at the Blue Line and not letting us carry the puck easily through the neutral zone. That plus Coach Carvel's quote perfectly describe what I saw.

As far as face-offs, my daughter (who's a great hockey fan and very knowledgeable) was very frustrated by the difference too. I'm a great believer in that stat, but didn't get the impression it made a big difference last night, though I can't really explain why. Maybe because we just couldn't do much with the puck when we had it.

Looking back, it seemed when Colgate had the puck, I was waiting for them to score. When we had it, I was waiting for us to lose it. We scrapped, and kept ourselves in, but for the most part, it just didn't feel right and it wasn't pretty at all.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Coming from someone who has been at every single tournament championship weekend that SLU has been in, including multiple in Albany and yup, I am here this year, I can tell you that you are totally off on this one! Maybe it's a case of apples to oranges, but their hasn't been a single parking problem that I have encountered and it just feel more like an event here than it ever did in Albany. Fans were around everywhere. I met and had great conversations with fans from each team in the lobby of our resort and walking up the street. Even the "SLU, SLU, SLU" chants breaking out in the lobby was a great thing to see ... Did it ever occur to anyone else that the few I see mentioning Albany over Lake Placid are the fans from far away that have to "fly" in to watch the game ... Don't think we don't get the real reason why you want it to be in Albany, we are not dumb! ;):p

The drive wasn't bad. It's not necessary to fly in from NH. I didn't go to the tourneys in 1999, 2000 and 2001. I've hated LP every since 1988 when we got robbed in that building. I think the ECAC made a mistake moving it back. There are some positives, but the big negative is that the Olympic sheet really threw off the teams. There is too much ice to cover in the defensive zone and that is exactly how we lost. Harvard was able to beat Q-Pac because when Q-Pac gained the zone they just stood around. Colgate moved well off the puck and it's too easy to an open guy when the ice is half as wide as it is long. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to play all season on 200 x 85 only to play for your championship on 200 x 100. Further, the lines for the bathrooms were long. Lines for concessions were long. I never found some of the people I was looking for like Shawn Fensel. I hate Albany too. I think they should move it to the Verizon Center in Manchester, NH. It's 10 miles away from me, a brand new beautiful building, easy access by car or by air. It's little stuff that annoyed me. I asked for tickets on the aisle. They sold me tickets by the rail to the zamboni entrance. The black netting at the ends was very hard to see through. Moreover, it is idiotic that they canceled the consolation game. I am not about to drive 4.5 hours to watch a single screwing by ECAC's finest officials again. I missed half the first period of the Harvard game driving around looking for a parking space. Every time the cops directed me to a different lot that lot was full. You have a school bus shuttle to a remote lot but not a single sign telling you how often / late the busses ran? Even playing JV games in that building against Northwood doesn't bring back good memories. It's a far frigging cry from playing in the old Boston Garden in front of 13000. I found it easier to find people in Albany. Sincerely, I am not sure I would go back based on that experience. I hated them having the award ceremony for that on the ice. Since when is that not done at a banquet the night before? Cripes I remember riding to Boston with Clarkson's Jarmo Kekalainen and Pierre McGuire for the Award's banquet on Thursday night. Has anyone else been to the Hockey East tourney? Talk about night and day!!!

As for the game and players, Horn had some great plays in the offensive end of the ice. I was actually a bit shocked to see him at minus 3. Sullivan was good and the commentators got it right. That was a penalty on Colgate and they give it to us to get a 5x3. Joke call. Not to mention, although I didn't have the angle I don't believe Tommy Thompson made contact with the head to get the first penalty in that 3 penalty series.

Of course I love this team and am proud of them as an alum. I think highly of Hurley and Carvy. But I am ****ed about the result and I don't want to hear about next year. One thing I learned from 1988 and even 2000 is it is really fricking hard to get back to the pinnacle. Q-Tip is a very young team like us. They lose less in fact. Harvard was supposed to lose some guys but several are applying for another year. We may well be at the top next year, but it sure is **** is not going to be easy and honestly I thought last night was our time. We did not play as well as we had been playing in any facet of the game. No underclassman are going to be stalked with a pro contract based on that performance.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone else that the few I see mentioning Albany over Lake Placid are the fans from far away that have to "fly" in to watch the game ... Don't think we don't get the real reason why you want it to be in Albany, we are not dumb! ;):p It has occurred to me why some of you like it in LP. We aren't dumb either. Not sure where you stayed but I was at the Courtyard by Marriott and it felt more like a funeral. The SLU support was great but how many are sticking around to watch what I expect to be a blowout tonight. It felt a lot like 1988 to me in that I couldn't wait to get out of there after losing. Still, as I said, my biggest issue is all year this team practices and plays games knowing how to shut down lanes forecheck and breakout of a standard size rink. I had a heart attack every time Colgate had the puck in our end because we had no idea how to defend on big ice like that. Colgate did better at that and beat us with four completely gassed d-men.

Muskieman
03-21-2015, 06:07 PM
To come back three times from one-goal deficits sums up our season perfectly; a team that never quit and hustled/worked its butts off. Congratulations to the coaches, players, and especially to the seniors for providing a season to remember. I can't think of one game the entire season where the effort wasn't there. Great things lie ahead and I guarantee we will look back and realize that this team provided the impetus for even better things that are coming our way.

Thank you, SAINTS!

Kepler
03-21-2015, 07:28 PM
To come back three times from one-goal deficits sums up our season perfectly; a team that never quit and hustled/worked its butts off. Congratulations to the coaches, players, and especially to the seniors for providing a season to remember. I can't think of one game the entire season where the effort wasn't there. Great things lie ahead and I guarantee we will look back and realize that this team provided the impetus for even better things that are coming our way.

Thank you, SAINTS!

This non-SLU fan really respected what the Saints did this year. Great job by your guys and good luck to all the Saints fans next year. Except Wally. ;)

saintsdad
03-21-2015, 08:57 PM
The drive wasn't bad. It's not necessary to fly in from NH. I didn't go to the tourneys in 1999, 2000 and 2001. I've hated LP every since 1988 when we got robbed in that building. I think the ECAC made a mistake moving it back. There are some positives, but the big negative is that the Olympic sheet really threw off the teams. There is too much ice to cover in the defensive zone and that is exactly how we lost. Harvard was able to beat Q-Pac because when Q-Pac gained the zone they just stood around. Colgate moved well off the puck and it's too easy to an open guy when the ice is half as wide as it is long. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to play all season on 200 x 85 only to play for your championship on 200 x 100. Further, the lines for the bathrooms were long. Lines for concessions were long. I never found some of the people I was looking for like Shawn Fensel. I hate Albany too. I think they should move it to the Verizon Center in Manchester, NH. It's 10 miles away from me, a brand new beautiful building, easy access by car or by air. It's little stuff that annoyed me. I asked for tickets on the aisle. They sold me tickets by the rail to the zamboni entrance. The black netting at the ends was very hard to see through. Moreover, it is idiotic that they canceled the consolation game. I am not about to drive 4.5 hours to watch a single screwing by ECAC's finest officials again. I missed half the first period of the Harvard game driving around looking for a parking space. Every time the cops directed me to a different lot that lot was full. You have a school bus shuttle to a remote lot but not a single sign telling you how often / late the busses ran? Even playing JV games in that building against Northwood doesn't bring back good memories. It's a far frigging cry from playing in the old Boston Garden in front of 13000. I found it easier to find people in Albany. Sincerely, I am not sure I would go back based on that experience. I hated them having the award ceremony for that on the ice. Since when is that not done at a banquet the night before? Cripes I remember riding to Boston with Clarkson's Jarmo Kekalainen and Pierre McGuire for the Award's banquet on Thursday night. Has anyone else been to the Hockey East tourney? Talk about night and day!!!

As for the game and players, Horn had some great plays in the offensive end of the ice. I was actually a bit shocked to see him at minus 3. Sullivan was good and the commentators got it right. That was a penalty on Colgate and they give it to us to get a 5x3. Joke call. Not to mention, although I didn't have the angle I don't believe Tommy Thompson made contact with the head to get the first penalty in that 3 penalty series.

Of course I love this team and am proud of them as an alum. I think highly of Hurley and Carvy. But I am ****ed about the result and I don't want to hear about next year. One thing I learned from 1988 and even 2000 is it is really fricking hard to get back to the pinnacle. Q-Tip is a very young team like us. They lose less in fact. Harvard was supposed to lose some guys but several are applying for another year. We may well be at the top next year, but it sure is **** is not going to be easy and honestly I thought last night was our time. We did not play as well as we had been playing in any facet of the game. No underclassman are going to be stalked with a pro contract based on that performance.

I know this may come across as overly harsh, but:
Colgate played on the same ice as we did and hadn't played on big ice since the beginning of the season. It's a non-issue as far as results go.
We found parking in a lot on Main St. at 4:00. I saw Shawn Fensel talking with George Hughes and Jordan Dewey as we walked to the arena. Along the way we stopped several times and saw animated talks among team garbed spectators. How convenient you want the tournament moved to an arena 10 miles from your home.
You're mixing complaints about Lake Placid, ECAC, ORDA, and the refs. Frankly, you just don't seem to have found anything you liked over the weekend.
These are student athletes playing a game. It is not the defining moment of their lives. They will go through the stages of grief but move on. How about we celebrate their success, instead of bemoaning and constantly reliving their near-misses, both yesterday and on April 2, 1988?

Special thank yous to Messrs Bruckel, Doherty, Hughes, and Martin. You achieved things that no one-no one-thought you could. You're the players who bridged the Marsh to Carvel eras and you brought great success to the school and joy to your fans through some tough times. Hold your head up high and revel in your successes.

Muskieman sums it up well-thank you!

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 11:15 PM
I know this will sound sarcastic, but:
Colgate played on the same ice as we did and hadn't played on big ice since the beginning of the season. It's a non-issue as far as results go.
We found parking in a lot on Main St. at 4:00. I saw Shawn Fensel talking with George Hughes and Jordan Dewey as we walked to the arena. Along the way we stopped several times and saw animated talks among team garbed spectators. How convenient you want the tournament moved to an arena 10 miles from your home.
You're mixing complaints about Lake Placid, ECAC, ORDA, and the refs. Frankly, you just don't seem to have found anything to your liking over the weekend.
These are student athletes playing a game. It is not the defining moment of their lives. They will go through the stages of grief but move on. How about we celebrate their success, instead of bemoaning and constantly reliving their near-misses, both yesterday and on April 2, 1988?

Yeah, and how convenient that you want it in the one rink closest to Malone that seats more than 3000 and isn't in Canada!! I don't need your lecture about what it is like for these players or the players in 1988. If you think it was a non-issue as far as the results go then you have said enough to know you don't know what you are talking about. Oh, and it's really too bad that veteran Colgate team gained no experience playing on the Olympic sheet for 8 periods last year or they might have won tonight. I am sure you are right, all that extra space in the defensive zone had nothing to do with Borkowski being wide open in the high slot in OT against the 3rd best defensive team in the country. Great thing they canceled the consolation game too, as there is no way a win against Q-Pac wouldn't have helped us. Yes, that may sound like sarcasm too. It's intentional. The pizza from Bazzo's late night was really good though so it wasn't all bad.

hockeyplayer1015
03-22-2015, 02:28 AM
The consolation game not happening does not matter. We needed the auto bid, and QU was a lock after yesterday's results.

If you can't enjoy Lake Placid for the fantastic environment of the ENTIRE TOWN, not to mention the hockey history and just magical feel it has... Well, you probably won't enjoy many places.

Per reports of the ECAC writers there, SLU fans did stick around for the championship, and why not? They got to see another pretty darn good hockey game, even if it may not have been between the teams they hoped to see.

As to the parking woes, I have been able to find parking relatively easily during the Ironman in Lake Placid, which is a much larger event than the ECAC tournament.

saintsdad
03-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Yeah, and how convenient that you want it in the one rink closest to Malone that seats more than 3000 and isn't in Canada!!
Unlike you and NH, I didn't say that. I apologize if that's the impression I gave. I was simply defending Lake Placid from what I think is unfair criticism. Sorry for the confusion.

Saints#1
03-22-2015, 12:20 PM
You're mixing complaints about Lake Placid, ECAC, ORDA, and the refs. Frankly, you just don't seem to have found anything you liked over the weekend.

Special thank yous to Messrs Bruckel, Doherty, Hughes, and Martin. You achieved things that no one-no one-thought you could. You're the players who bridged the Marsh to Carvel eras and you brought great success to the school and joy to your fans through some tough times. Hold your head up high and revel in your successes.

I was going to reply with something similar but you beat me to it! ;) ... I completely agree 100%! Lake Placid is where this tournament is and belongs and that's the way it is. Sorry 'bout it!

TchrBill
03-22-2015, 12:53 PM

It's not harsh. Tough reading comments by one particular fan on this thread that Colgate is not classy, that (he) does not like the way Colgate plays (acceptable opinion), that LP was basically awful, and that the refs blew the game for SLU, so screw the ECAC and attendance by not paying to go see Colgate and Harvard in the final since SLUs fans won't be there anyway? Ouch.

MarkEagleUSA
03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
The SLU support was great but how many are sticking around to watch what I expect to be a blowout tonight.There were a ton of SLU fans at the championship game... maybe even more than Colgate had. Of course, they weren't nearly as vocal as they were Friday but they were there. I think the majority of them were rooting along with the 3 Harvard fans. ;)

Got 6, Want More
03-22-2015, 05:50 PM
The consolation game not happening does not matter. We needed the auto bid, and QU was a lock after yesterday's results.

If you can't enjoy Lake Placid for the fantastic environment of the ENTIRE TOWN, not to mention the hockey history and just magical feel it has... Well, you probably won't enjoy many places.

Per reports of the ECAC writers there, SLU fans did stick around for the championship, and why not? They got to see another pretty darn good hockey game, even if it may not have been between the teams they hoped to see.

As to the parking woes, I have been able to find parking relatively easily during the Ironman in Lake Placid, which is a much larger event than the ECAC tournament.

You guys are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Compared to what we had in Boston through 1992 everything has been a joke. The hotel I stayed in LP had a large amount of people check out early on Saturday because as the hotel manager said "everyone said they only came to see their team"!! Why would I want to watch Harvard vs. Colgate when the result was a foregone conclusion?? Attendance was down from Friday night to Saturday! Attendance was less than the last year in Albany! What's wrong with this picture? NCHC 3rd place - 11,500 fans. Hockey East championship 13,000 plus. ECAC championship 4900! If that was accurate! If not for SLU fans in town because SLU made it to LP, it might have been more like 2500!

Saints#1
03-22-2015, 06:08 PM
You guys are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Compared to what we had in Boston through 1992 everything has been a joke. The hotel I stayed in LP had a large amount of people check out early on Saturday because as the hotel manager said "everyone said they only came to see their team"!! Why would I want to watch Harvard vs. Colgate when the result was a foregone conclusion?? Attendance was down from Friday night to Saturday! Attendance was less than the last year in Albany! What's wrong with this picture? NCHC 3rd place - 11,500 fans. Hockey East championship 13,000 plus. ECAC championship 4900! If that was accurate! If not for SLU fans in town because SLU made it to LP, it might have been more like 2500!

Yes, but see therein lies the problem, you are entitled to your opinion yes, but you don't have a clue when to stop. You're now on here carrying on with fans of your own favorite team who you are supposed to have comradery with. It makes you look awful! As for your opinions on Lake Placid, well that's just fine. It's obvious you have some personal and honestly borderline creepy (i.e. as you mentioned since 1988) vendetta against the place. Get over it! Your opinion, while is allowed to be stated of course, isn't one that anyone should even acknowledge because of the source stating it. You're already on three or four threads just recently arguing with fans from almost every team. At one point in these threads I have heard you mention over half the teams in the league and why you dislike/hate/don't respect them. It just makes you look like someone who is a constant whiner and complainer and it certainly doesn't make you appear to be anyone who should be taken seriously ... Rant over!!!

MarkEagleUSA
03-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Why would I want to watch Harvard vs. Colgate when the result was a foregone conclusion??That game was far from a foregone conclusion. Colgate was in it until the final minute.

Attendance was down from Friday night to Saturday!While this may be true, there was still a very decent crowd last night. The arena wasn't dead by any means.

Attendance was less than the last year in Albany! What's wrong with this picture? Don't blame the fans, or the schools involved. The league isn't doing their part in promoting this. While I was there in person, I have a problem being the only conference that wasn't televised mainstream in HD. The online option was a joke too... Fridays overtime wasn't streamed as the coverage ended at the conclusion of the 3rd.

While I somewhat agree about the Olympic sheet, it is the same for all teams and they know that going in. Lake Placid is the best of the 3 locations I've been to for championship weekend. My only negative is the distance, but the atmosphere in that town makes up for the long drive (4-1/2 hrs for me).

Got 6, Want More
03-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes, but see therein lies the problem, you are entitled to your opinion yes, but you don't have a clue when to stop. You're now on here carrying on with fans of your own favorite team who you are supposed to have comradery with. It makes you look awful! As for your opinions on Lake Placid, well that's just fine. It's obvious you have some personal and honestly borderline creepy (i.e. as you mentioned since 1988) vendetta against the place. Get over it! Your opinion, while is allowed to be stated of course, isn't one that anyone should even acknowledge because of the source stating it. You're already on three or four threads just recently arguing with fans from almost every team. At one point in these threads I have heard you mention over half the teams in the league and why you dislike/hate/don't respect them. It just makes you look like someone who is a constant whiner and complainer and it certainly doesn't make you appear to be anyone who should be taken seriously ... Rant over!!!

Seriously? Get over yourself!!!!!

You don't want to hear my opinions then put me on ignore. You want to make yourself look like a hypocrite, I'll go find the post where you were saying how awesome it is you only have a 45 minute drive from Plattsburgh! I am not on here trying to please you. Too bad if you don't like my opinion that presenting ROTY in the ice before the game when every other league has a banquet! How did guys like Cole Bardreau and Rob O'Gara get their awards?? Will call in the Albany league office? How many of you guys carping in me have been to the championship when it was in Boston? Or to another league championship like the old WCHA or HEA? I have, and we have some serious work to do to improve ours. As Carvy said, we get the kids who don't need the limelight. Well, considering our semifinal games were supposed to be televised and apparently weren't as people were watching the on streaming video, and the place was probably a third empty, that's not very good! As for the town, I didn't find it to be as good as Albany.

How many of you bought your tickets and went last year when SLU wasn't in it,?? I saw a few RPI fans, one Clarkson fan, and none from most other schools! If it's such an awesome environment why wouldn't you go?

Brandon as for the consolation game, two of the last three times it mattered. If the top 4 seeds go, it's the last chance to boost your PWR to get into the tourney! Why wouldn't you play a consolation???

Go ahead, defend the Mickey Mouse league management. That's the way to show your support for a program that was on the cusp of an at large bid. Next why don't some of you guys tell us how awesome the officiating was that Colgate deserved no more than 2 minors in that game (one of which gave us a crucial goal) and all the icing wave offs were great calls!! It sure is entertaining. Also, it'd be great to hear how Yale deserves an at large over us when we beat them twice, have a better league record, had a win over Miami that is more valuable than their win over Vermont?

Maybe I'll just discontinue my support of Saints Hockey and guys that ended up at SLU because of me like Joe Day, Casey Parenteau and Travis Vermuelen can end up somewhere else! If I take much more of your condescending bull**** about how I am creepy for not having opinion different than yours maybe I won't continue to support a program so a bunch of you can have a short commute to the championship game!

Take into consideration a few other things like I paid $250 a night for my hotel in LP. Last time I was in Albany is was less than half that. Yeah, who would want to make it more affordable and accessible?

Compared to being in Boston the league has fallen way off which is sad for a league that has some of the most storied programs and the last 2 NCAA champs. It's great you guys are all good with that!

Got 6, Want More
03-22-2015, 07:44 PM
That game was far from a foregone conclusion. Colgate was in it until the final minute.

While this may be true, there was still a very decent crowd last night. The arena wasn't dead by any means.

Don't blame the fans, or the schools involved. The league isn't doing their part in promoting this. While I was there in person, I have a problem being the only conference that wasn't televised mainstream in HD. The online option was a joke too... Fridays overtime wasn't streamed as the coverage ended at the conclusion of the 3rd.

While I somewhat agree about the Olympic sheet, it is the same for all teams and they know that going in. Lake Placid is the best of the 3 locations I've been to for championship weekend. My only negative is the distance, but the atmosphere in that town makes up for the long drive (4-1/2 hrs for me).

The game was a foregone conclusion from my point of view. The only way Harvard loses to Colgate is if half the team had food poisoning. I watched Colgate play at Harvard with half of Harvards stars out and it was a mismatch.

One additional point, I don't think the Big 10 is going to be thrilled with their tourney either, really sorry attendance in Detroit! I'll bet anyone that they'll make changes to address that!

I guess that's one of the funny parts about this. I've had long discussions with Joe Marsh in the past on a lot of these topics and, other than him hating Albany and preferring LP, he had a lot of the same opinions as me. I guess he was creepy and a whiner too??

LTsatch
03-22-2015, 07:48 PM
I'll say it again, Yale got in because they beat Harvard four times.