PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence Skating Saints Lake Placid Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

FireKnight
03-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Fox 372 (Atlantic) via Time Warner (Rochester) has both games for monthly charge of $8.99 which pro rated comes out to some 60 cents for both nights if you cancel ASAP
Unfortunately on screen pic is not full size. Plus you miss the astute observations of our own Greg and Wally

Thanks for the information. None of the Fox College Sports channels are showing anything on Directv. I guess it's more beneficial to show nothing than the ECAC Championship. Good luck to the Saints tonight. It would be nice to see a North Country team making some waves.

ColSkate65
03-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Looking forward to a great game with you guys to see who faces Haavad...:)

LTsatch
03-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the information. None of the Fox College Sports channels are showing anything on Directv. I guess it's more beneficial to show nothing than the ECAC Championship. Good luck to the Saints tonight. It would be nice to see a North Country team making some waves.

I am a directv subscriber in the New Haven area and was able to watch the QU game with the Foxsportsgo app on the computer for free. A few hoops to jump through to register, but a great feed. Going to watch SLU tonight as well.

FireKnight
03-20-2015, 07:22 PM
I am a directv subscriber in the New Haven area and was able to watch the QU game with the Foxsportsgo app on the computer for free. A few hoops to jump through to register, but a great feed. Going to watch SLU tonight as well.

That's the best news I've heard all day! Thank you so much! Let's go Saints!

LTsatch
03-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Great season! Tough loss in a very tough league within the top six teams. ECAC ate it's young this year.

Got 6, Want More
03-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Proud of the Saints! Great year for a young team! Some of our young guys were the best players on the ice tonight. Keep your heads high. Guaranteed none of the saints are as sick as me of losing in OT in that building as they weren't alive in 88.

As for the game...I'm bitter! Colgate has some extremely tenacious forwards but they aren't the cleanest. Goulakos' return didn't last long as he was gone in the first with an ankle injury. I'm at the point the ECAC officiating makes me want to hurl.

Saints#1
03-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Proud of the Saints! Great year for a young team! Some of our young guys were the best players on the ice tonight. Keep your heads high. Guaranteed none of the saints are as sick as me of losing in OT in that building as they weren't alive in 88.

As for the game...I'm bitter! Colgate has some extremely tenacious forwards but they aren't the cleanest. Goulakos' return didn't last long as he was gone in the first with an ankle injury. I'm at the point the ECAC officiating makes me want to hurl.

That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen ... Literally! That's a shame for the ECAC championship weekend!!

As for the Saints, they have nothing to be ashamed of. They overachieved, they played hard, they accomplished a lot and had a very successful season for such a young team. They will be back next year, even stronger than they were this year ... Way to go Saints!!!

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 12:24 AM
That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen ... Literally! That's a shame for the ECAC championship weekend!!

As for the Saints, they have nothing to be ashamed of. They overachieved, they played hard, they accomplished a lot and had a very successful season for such a young team. They will be back next year, even stronger than they were this year ... Way to go Saints!!!

I agree it was dreadful officiating, but unfortunately I can't distinguish dreadful from the worst anymore...they are all so close! I know this, it was not fairly officiated! ECAC management is so brutal, attendance will be awful tomorrow. No way I would pay to watch those teams! Serves the ECAC right! Saints come out in droves to watch another OT screw job by incompetent refs!

No consolation game just put the two biggest fan bases in their cars headed home tomorrow! I'm not sure I'll come back to LP!

LTsatch
03-21-2015, 12:39 AM
I agree it was dreadful officiating, but unfortunately I can't distinguish dreadful from the worst anymore...they are all so close! I know this, it was not fairly officiated! ECAC management is so brutal, attendance will be awful tomorrow. No way I would pay to watch those teams! Serves the ECAC right! Saints come out in droves to watch another OT screw job by incompetent refs!

No consolation game just put the two biggest fan bases in their cars headed home tomorrow! I'm not sure I'll come back to LP! Result aside, can you honestly say that you did not have a good time in Lake Placid? Did you enjoy a nice time with like minded SLU fans before the game? If you drove there and back in one day from NH then I would understand. Imagine being a western teams fan with thousands of miles to the tourney. We are lucky.

hockeyplayer1015
03-21-2015, 02:37 AM
Was pretty heartbroken to wake up and see an OT loss. I was really feeling good this afternoon about our chances.

What a fun season though. This stings, but the future is very, very bright. Buckle up everybody, it's going to be a fun ride the next few years anyways.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Result aside, can you honestly say that you did not have a good time in Lake Placid? Did you enjoy a nice time with like minded SLU fans before the game? If you drove there and back in one day from NH then I would understand. Imagine being a western teams fan with thousands of miles to the tourney. We are lucky.

I found it disorganized, no parking, no fans around before Harvard game. I hate to say it, Albany was better...and, every team looked lost on the big sheet but us and QU more so.

TimU
03-21-2015, 08:22 AM
That really was a tough loss. I thought Hayton didn't quite look like himself last night. I feel like the first and third goals are pucks he normally stops. And the officiating truly was atrocious. The icing calls were flat-out ridiculous, and there appeared to be some badly missed offside calls as well. The hooking penalty on Sullivan was an absolute joke.

All that said . . . SLU was an overtime goal away from playing in the championship game. I sure didn't predict that in October, and I would've signed up for it in a heartbeat. Not only that, but they played really well in the OT. This season was an unqualified success, and we seem to be poised for a good run over the next few years. And Colgate played well. They were sharper and better in the first period. They are fast and they skated hard all night. Finn was excellent. If they hadn't played a very strong game we would have won. But they did. Great effort, great game, great season Saints. This is a team that you just can't help but like, win or lose. I can't wait for next year.

vicb
03-21-2015, 08:53 AM
I found it disorganized, no parking, no fans around before Harvard game. I hate to say it, Albany was better.........

Bingo!!! Albany!!!

Harp 34
03-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Great game to watch, tough ending to stomach. Colgate's a very ouick team with good defense, I wouldn't be surprised if they win ECAC's and make the frozen 4 in the NCAA's. Saints exceeded expectations this year and made it a very enjoyable season to watch. Congrats to Coach Carvel, good luck and thanks to the seniors for a fine season. The future looks bright, can't wait for next year.

ColSkate65
03-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Great game with you guys last night. You are a fast and dominating team, just came up a hair short. Neither team deserved to lose that game. You have your brightest days ahead of you. You are stocked with young talent and should be at the top of the league next year...and for years to come. Coach Carvel has put together a good program in a hurry.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 10:33 AM
That really was a tough loss. I thought Hayton didn't quite look like himself last night. I feel like the first and third goals are pucks he normally stops. And the officiating truly was atrocious. The icing calls were flat-out ridiculous, and there appeared to be some badly missed offside calls as well. The hooking penalty on Sullivan was an absolute joke.

All that said . . . SLU was an overtime goal away from playing in the championship game. I sure didn't predict that in October, and I would've signed up for it in a heartbeat. Not only that, but they played really well in the OT. This season was an unqualified success, and we seem to be poised for a good run over the next few years. And Colgate played well. They were sharper and better in the first period. They are fast and they skated hard all night. Finn was excellent. If they hadn't played a very strong game we would have won. But they did. Great effort, great game, great season Saints. This is a team that you just can't help but like, win or lose. I can't wait for next year.

I can't be quite as positive. After watching Hughes get smoked from behind by Finn as Colgate was clearing the zone, and Doherty getting hooked behind the play making him look like Bobby Orr's famous goal, I think officiating had a material outcome on the game. Yeah, we got away with 2 that should have been called, but I lost count of the holdings, stick infractions and interference calls that were blatant. You can't disenfrachise s team like that. Colgate had 4 (FOUR) 4!!!!!! Penalty minutes. What a joke. They buried their chances. Their second goal was sick! Vaughner had them well prepared and the clogged up the slot, neutral zone and transitioned well...as I said they have very tenacious forwards. But I can't get past the way SLU gets screwed come tourney time by Stewies Bozos! All they are missing is red noses and oversize skates.

One thing I knew was right is Sullivan saying if Colgate scored three they were in good shape and we were in trouble. When they got the third that was a big deal. I thought Horn was God then the box score said he was minus three. As was Sweetman which is shocking. I think we had better chances and should have won and maybe would have if officiating wasn't so bad. I'll be shocked if Harvard doesn't thrash them tonight...especially with them only playing 4 d-men. Bottom line, we deserved a better fate this year and now maybe two teams that SLU went 4-0 against with a combined score of 15-3 get into the tourney ahead of us. Grrrrrrrrer!

Harp 34
03-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Sullivan picking us to win was a bad omen lol.

Saints#1
03-21-2015, 11:55 AM
I found it disorganized, no parking, no fans around before Harvard game. I hate to say it, Albany was better...and, every team looked lost on the big sheet but us and QU more so.

Coming from someone who has been at every single tournament championship weekend that SLU has been in, including multiple in Albany and yup, I am here this year, I can tell you that you are totally off on this one! Maybe it's a case of apples to oranges, but their hasn't been a single parking problem that I have encountered and it just feel more like an event here than it ever did in Albany. Fans were around everywhere. I met and had great conversations with fans from each team in the lobby of our resort and walking up the street. Even the "SLU, SLU, SLU" chants breaking out in the lobby was a great thing to see ... Did it ever occur to anyone else that the few I see mentioning Albany over Lake Placid are the fans from far away that have to "fly" in to watch the game ... Don't think we don't get the real reason why you want it to be in Albany, we are not dumb! ;):p

critsports
03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Great season Saints and staff.
Disappointment yes.....but when we look back on the year it was such a fun, entertaining and surprising one. This team never gave up, always played hard and played the way the game is supposed to be played.
Got to watch the game on TV (after a frantic search). Overall the broadcast was a boon to SLU hockey. The announcers talked mostly about us....had great shots of SLU signs and fans.......and, what could be better than having Joe Marsh get interviewed and have him cracking everyone up with his "Skeleton" comment, among others. I think Coach Carvel summed it up pretty well (and who would know better than him?).......we didn't play our best, but we played well. Hayton I am sure would like to have two of those goals back. On the first one he was favoring the near post and perhaps his positioning was off a tad and that opened up that far side of the net. Third goal definitely never should have happened. Having said that though....were it not for him, our record would likely have been reversed or worse and we would be staring at a 20 loss season instead of a 20 win season.

The future looks bright. From what I hear we have some talent coming in that can move the puck and have a lot of speed. As Coach said you can replace talent but you can't replace heart. Bruckel, Hughes, Doherty and Martin have a lot of heart, leadership and character. They will be missed and remembered as important Saints teammates.

Can't really comment much on the officiating. Seems there are a lot of comments in that regard. On TV you only see what the camera is showing, so I'm sure those in attendance saw a lot more than we did on TV. I did think the call on Sullivan was a joke and as the broadcast went to a commercial, the announcers had called the penalty on Colgate only to come back from the commercial break and say it was on Sullivan instead.

One can argue it never should have reached overtime...but, once there both sides had equal chances to win and we certainly carried the play in OT. All it takes is one shot in OT and unfortunately it wasn't ours that went in although we had the better of the chances up to that game ending goal.

Again, Congrats to the team and coaches for a wonderful and entertaining season. I too can't wait for next season. This year we were underdogs but next year's team will have to play and contend with expectations whereas this year we had none.

saintsdad
03-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Coming from someone who has been at every single tournament championship weekend that SLU has been in, including multiple in Albany and yup, I am here this year, I can tell you that you are totally off on this one! Maybe it's a case of apples to oranges, but their hasn't been a single parking problem that I have encountered and it just feel more like an event here than it ever did in Albany. Fans were around everywhere. I met and had great conversations with fans from each team in the lobby of our resort and walking up the street. Even the "SLU, SLU, SLU" chants breaking out in the lobby was a great thing to see ... Did it ever occur to anyone else that the few I see mentioning Albany over Lake Placid are the fans from far away that have to "fly" in to watch the game ... Don't think we don't get the real reason why you want it to be in Albany, we are not dumb! ;):p

I completely agree. I was there and had no problem finding parking within easy walking distance. Depending on when you tried to park, you may have had to take a shuttle bus, but I'm sure that system is well developed and implemented. Placid is a small town that's hosted many, many large international events. They know how to do it, while keeping their small village ambiance. And they did it well last night. Everywhere I walked it was team colors and discussions, and that was a real neat thing to experience, an entire village focused on one thing. For the flyers, may I suggest Saranac Lake airport.

Regarding the game, Colgate was the better team last night. Their speed and pressure created opportunities, kept us from getting into any kind of flow, made us pay dearly for mistakes. They just always seemed to be wherever we wanted to go, and they shut down lanes ferociously.

The better team except for the last 2 minutes of regulation and most of the OT. When SLU came out with the empty net, they played like a team possessed. There was no doubt, the game was going to be tied soon. Bayreuther shot 2 lasers at the goal, one that went in, and took care of the problem. They kept the pressure on until the end or regulation and came close to lightening striking twice, but just missed. I thought we were dominating OT and playing our best hockey of the game, until we let one mistake in a defensive corner cascade uncontrollably with the result----

You could see the break downs developing and getting worse. As the fan next to me observed, when that happened, you knew it was going to end badly. As Coach Carvel said, "They made us pay when we made mistakes in our game."

I also believe Hayton normally would have stopped the 1st and 3rd goals. Actually, watching him take a lot of time to get up after one scrum in front of the net made me think that maybe he's not 100% physically (as someone hypothesized late in the previous thread.) I also think we had long spans of time when we simply looked real flat, like we were just going through the motions. Tired maybe? That is a big sheet of ice.

I hate to point fingers at players, but there was one line that had a bad night and had members on the ice for the 1st 3 goals. I cringed whenever they hit the ice. Not 15 seconds after I mentioned to my neighboring fan that that line scared me, they cost us a goal. I think the refs had some issues, but I think it went both ways. And there's no way to blame them for the Keystone Kop act we did that led to our too many men on the ice penalty. Killing that series of penalties took a bit of heart and when we did, I thought we'd rallied our psyches and would go home with a W.

And an odd observation. Although the award is was earned and deserved, I wonder how much it hurt us to have Hayton receive his Rookie of the Year award right after the team introductions. If I'm Colgate watching this, I'm thinking, "Rookie of the Year? We'll see about that." More motivation for them?

It was wonderful seeing the size and hearing the volume of our rooting section. Colgate's was big and raucous, so the fans lent lots of energy for large parts of the game. And that was a blast. But, sorry Raiders, we won that match up. :)

But------I went home a happy man. I had a chance to root for my team in Lake Placid-one of only 4 fan bases that can say that. Pretty sweet for a team that was picked 10, 11, or 12. Throughout out the year, they were like the little engine that could-and they did. A bunch of kids who were told by the press and fans that they weren't supposed to win, but kept winning. If this is the type of team we have to look forward to, I can't wait for next year and the year after, and the year after, and the year after....

Thanks guys and thanks Coach Carvel-what a ride!!!!