PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence Skating Saints Lake Placid Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

Ivan Lennon
10-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Very impressed by strength of our opponents to date - e.g., Merrimack, M of O and PSU
Our 2nd game performances bode well for an NCAA bid one way or another

In the ECAC, save for Q Pac - and arguably one or two others - I can't imagine us facing more formidable teams

Current goalie tandem reminds me (nostalgically) of our 2 All Americas of the early 1960's - Richie Broadbelt and Bob Perani

hockeyplayer1015
10-31-2015, 02:34 PM
In the ECAC, save for Q Pac - and arguably one or two others - I can't imagine us facing more formidable teams

On paper, you're probably correct. But in ECAC play, as we'be seen time and again, every game is a battle. Even lowly Princeton. If you come out with your B game, it may not be enough. A night of the other goalie playing well could be the difference.

Clarkson has looked better than I expected, RPI has been streaky, but has a win over BC to their credit. Union beat BU. Harvard has some very high end talent, can they finally put the pieces together? Yale should be very tough as well.

Simply put, the Saints should be a favorite for a bye. But a slow start or inconsistent effort can quickly have them fighting just for home ice come March.

Muskieman
10-31-2015, 03:43 PM
Beautiful arena, and very classy, friendly, and passionate fans. I still like Appleton more, though, because the fans can sit closer to the ice.

As for the games, I added a few comments on FB and will add some comments here. On Thursday, we were flat out awful and Brey saved our butts. He put on an absolute goaltending clinic. We had a bird's-eye view of where the Saints came off the ice and "Carvy did not look happy. He shouldn't have been happy. On Friday, we looked like a completely different team and played extremely well. Save for some biased officiating in my view, it was more like a 6-2 game. The Saints busted their butts from start to finish and deserved to win. Most impressive was the third period where we were dominant and it paid off. It was nice to see our PP score a couple at PSU and, while it was only one game, learn that Brey is very good (and poised).

All in all, a great road trip by the Saints. 3 points (although Brey stole" one of them) was quite impressive. It was well worth the long trip to be there and I look forward to us playing PSU again (I think next yr. at Appleton).

Thanks to Al, Don, Eric, Pat, and Tayt for repeatedly helping me to get around down there. Those are 5 great guys!

TimU
10-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Should someone start a new thread for this season?

saintsdad
11-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game, but from LiveStats, it looked to be a nail biter for sure. Was worried for almost 2 periods, then the dam broke. Thanks to Messr's Sullivan and Sweetman for 3 point nights, and 10 other players for point contributions.

FWIW, I'd vote yes, start a new thread. Let's start anew, move forward, and leave all the bad memories and feelings and hurtful words where they belong-in the past.

Saints#1
11-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Let's start anew, move forward, and leave all the bad memories and feelings and hurtful words where they belong-in the past.

Agree 100%!

Saints#1
11-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game, but from LiveStats, it looked to be a nail biter for sure. Was worried for almost 2 periods, then the **** broke. Thanks to Messr's Sullivan and Sweetman for 3 point nights, and 10 other players for point contributions.

FWIW, I'd vote yes, start a new thread. Let's start anew, move forward, and leave all the bad memories and feelings and hurtful words where they belong-in the past.

As for the game, it was nice to see the offense come into their own tonight. We skated hard and fast, were passed the puck well and we finished our chances, which is always good to see. Hayton needs to work on the high glove side issue, but other than that I think only positives should be taken away from tonight's game (save for the absolutely atrocious refs!). Let's do it all again tomorrow night boys.

critsports
11-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Just awful, awful, awful. Hope those two points don't come back to haunt us down the line this season. Very sloppy turnovers led to at least 3 of RPI's 4 goals. And, we didn't get a big stop when we needed one tonight. I love this team......but we are not deserving of our ranking if we are capable of playing that poorly. This team has such potential. Some nights it shows.........but other nights like tonight, we show just how overconfident and sloppy we play. Gotta ramp it up and play a lot better with Clarkson coming up.

saintsdad
11-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Just awful, awful, awful. Hope those two points don't come back to haunt us down the line this season. Very sloppy turnovers led to at least 3 of RPI's 4 goals. And, we didn't get a big stop when we needed one tonight. I love this team......but we are not deserving of our ranking if we are capable of playing that poorly. This team has such potential. Some nights it shows.........but other nights like tonight, we show just how overconfident and sloppy we play. Gotta ramp it up and play a lot better with Clarkson coming up.The first game I've been to all year, and I agree with every word you've written. Sloppy and overconfident-you are correct, and I'd add overhandling the puck. Other than a long stretch of the 2nd period, we looked lost out there. All our goals were really pretty, but the skill that went into them was just far too rare tonight. None of our PP's looked very good, but the final PP we had, late in the third, was as bad a PP as I've seen in a long time. We also regularly left Hayton's stick side wide open so he had to defend it all by himself. And that resulted in the game winner and contributed to one other goal since the scorer was just hanging out on that side with no one paying any attention to him.
Give Hayton credit, though many are criticizing him, he stopped a couple one on one breaks and a few uncontested, dead on shots. He may not have had high quantity, but he did have some good quality.
The big difference I see from last year is they're not playing with the joyous abandon of a bunch of unsung kids. But they're young, they will recover, and this loss may do them some good by helping them lose the overconfidence.
Credit to our freshman-Pritchard and Ederer kept the crowd happy. Smolcynski's goal was a work of art.
Credit also to RPI. It often looked like there were more them on the ice than there were of us; they just swarmed us and kept us from getting any rhythm. They bent, but did not break. And their freshman goalie did a bang up job in his first start-nice show young man (unfortunately, against us.)
Lots to work on this week, so we can demonstrate our potential next week. Look out Clarkson-here we come.