PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence Skating Saints Lake Placid Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

hockeyplayer1015
10-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Well a tough one for the Saints tonight. Boy was that a fast game.........under two hours and still that quick with all those penalties!!!! Not being there in person but watching on the Internet we have to rely on Wally and Greg and the quotes from the coach after the game to paint a better picture..........but it sure sounded like a lot of the penalties called were bogus.
I think we are going to have to put out an ABP or MIA bulletin for our offense. Last two games yielded only one goal. Then again.....a lot of credit has to go to Miami as they effectively closed off shooting lanes very quickly and I don't think we had but a few shots that were uncontested. The PP was particularly problematic. We just did not get open shots on goal.
I saw earlier in the day the the USCHO writer picked us to sweep the weekend. Myself I was hoping for a split. That's still possible but I have the feeling that Miami got the monkey off their backs and will come out flying Saturday night and we appear to have the pressure back on us to salvage a split. Hope the boys can pull one out on Saturday. Go Saints.

At work, so couldn't watch, but 1-0 loss on a PPG? Meh, it happens.

Our PP is certainly struggling right now, but that's going to work itself out. I have faith it won't operate at a 4% or so clip all season. Miami is going to be a solid team this year, in possibly the strongest league again. Salvaging a split would be a fine result, one I'm guessing we all would be satisfied with.

I'll agree that from what I read online, it sounded like Just Another ECAC Reffing Night. Interpret that as you wish.

GoldenBear
10-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Was at the game last night...they just were completely off. Came out flat, didn't show any life till the final 5 minutes of the game (didn't help that was the quietest I've heard Appleton since the mid-80's). Worse puck handling I've seen in a long time, the mini mites house league this morning at Appleton will have better puck handling than the Saints last night. Shooting selection was brutal, shot glove side high the entire game and the Miami goalie just ate it all up with ease. Reffing was as always just horrible towards both teams. Saints defenseman takes a slap shot from the point, Miami forward steps in front of it and blocks it with his stick...stick breaks on deflection, MacDonald calls Saints defenseman for slashing cause Miami player stick broke. 35 years of watching and playing hockey and that easily ranks in the top 5 worse calls I have ever seen.

On the plus size I don't think the Saints could have played much worse and they only lost 1-0 to a very good team. Just need to forget last night and come out flying tonight and the Saints will be just fine. Couple small adjustments tonight like working the puck low and in the slot on the power play instead of from the point and shooting stick side instead of glove side.

Ivan Lennon
10-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Unable to deal w/ game stress of M of O tying goal I elected to view Gate vs RIT on T/W cable
Returning to find Larries up by 2

Worked like a charm

Congrats to Coach Tosh who, w/ another soccer victory, will garner Liberty League playoff home field advantage

Muskieman
10-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Great job by the Saints tonight. That was a gut-check win, with incredible poise after Miami scored two quick ones in the 3rd. My gut, no pun intended, says that both SLU & Miami will be in the NCAA's in March.

I hope to see many of you at Penn State. That is going to be a fun trip.

critsports
10-24-2015, 09:37 PM
A nice win by the Saints tonight. They had to make it a little harder than it should have been though. I was feeling pretty comfy with that 4-1 lead and then the refs got in the way again. Whammo it was 4-3.
Do you think Woody will be taking a ribbing for that play??? I'll bet they won't soon let him forget that one! Thank goodness we didn't need that one!!!

A much better overall effort by everyone tonight. We controlled the play for long periods of time in the first and the second. We were in control in the third until those penalties and Miami came alive.........nice composure though to settle things down when it got to be 4-3. Breathing a sigh of relief as for a moment I was really afraid that one was going to slip away.

critsports
10-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Saw this on the Penn State site. It shows the SOG in each game Penn State has had so far this year. Granted their competition hasn't been as great....but, it looks like they like to shoot the puck.

Yep, looks like they're sticking with their offensive philosophy of Just Shoot, Baby.

45, 36, 39, 57, and 44 SOG thus far

lugnut92
10-26-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm doing the KRACH-based final standings again. Here's the thread (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113818-ECAC-Projected-Standings-2015-16). Come have a look, and talk about it. Thanks!

hockeyplayer1015
10-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Saw this on the Penn State site. It shows the SOG in each game Penn State has had so far this year. Granted their competition hasn't been as great....but, it looks like they like to shoot the puck.

Yep, looks like they're sticking with their offensive philosophy of Just Shoot, Baby.

I believe they led the nation in SOG/game last year.

joecct
10-26-2015, 03:38 PM

Or they had a goalie friendly shot counter.

TimU
10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Joe, you're such a cynic.

joecct
10-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Joe, you're such a cynic.

When my son was playing, he saw it all the time. Tufts was famous. If it was close, it was a shot.

FlagDUDE08
10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Or they think you tally shots in hockey the same way you do in soccer: counting the off target shots, so goals + saves != shots.

Spaceman
10-28-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm looking forward to making the trek to Penn State this week to watch the Saints. It's going to be a lot of driving, but it should be a fun trip!

vicb
10-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Only 2 days + ~6 hours to get your picks in. Remember Friday at 7PM is the cutoff.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113424-ECAC-Pick-The-Standings-Contest-2015-2016&p=6214478#post6214478

hockeyplayer1015
10-28-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm looking forward to making the trek to Penn State this week to watch the Saints. It's going to be a lot of driving, but it should be a fun trip!

I'm certainly jealous, Tayt. I'll be hoping to watch Thursday night's game from just a bit south of UAH territory.

vicb
10-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Less than 12 hours to go to get your picks in. 7PM tonight is the deadline.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?113424-ECAC-Pick-The-Standings-Contest-2015-2016

critsports
10-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Come on Tayt.........your a sports reporter? You were at the game. Where's your update. I did not get to listen or watch as I was helping to host a "work event" at Gillette Stadium last night. We (Hyundai are the official car sponsor of the NFL) and we had an awesome tailgate event for some of our dealers.

Reading all the comments and game summaries as a long time Saints fan I can't hide nor express my disappointment over that effort. Carvy's quote in the game summary perfectly summarizes up my feelings. "The bottom line is Art Brey played unbelievably and saved us from a disgraceful evening."

If you can't get up for playing a new team....in one of the most beautiful buildings...... in front of a packed house....then what the hell can you get up for?? I certainly hope they come out with more vigor, enthusiasm and attention to the defensive side of the game than they did last night. Effort wins games....not reputation.

hockeyplayer1015
10-31-2015, 03:32 AM
So, after the first month, the Saints have navigated their schedule about how I would have predicted. Maybe the Merrimack game looked bad, but they just beat BU in Lawler, so I'm feeling better about that loss. And they truly haven't played great hockey for probably 30-40% of it.

Hayton is continuing his solid play, PK is doing great, still getting offense from just about everywhere. PP fared a bit better this weekend, hopefully that keeps trending upward.

5 pretty big games coming up to kick off league play.

critsports
10-31-2015, 11:30 AM
So, after the first month, the Saints have navigated their schedule about how I would have predicted. Maybe the Merrimack game looked bad, but they just beat BU in Lawler, so I'm feeling better about that loss. And they truly haven't played great hockey for probably 30-40% of it.

Hayton is continuing his solid play, PK is doing great, still getting offense from just about everywhere. PP fared a bit better this weekend, hopefully that keeps trending upward.

5 pretty big games coming up to kick off league play.

So Brandon..........should we declare this thread dead? Can't believe how little posting goes on these days. I agree with you. Having seen the Merrimack game in person they have a talented team.
I did get to watch the game on line last night. Pretty impressive arena, fans, everything about the program at PSU is impressive. It won't be long before they are one of the top teams in the country particularly with Gadowsky as coach. It is amazing how quickly that program has gotten off the ground with the sellouts and following they have.
As for the Saints the start is a good one for the most part. My only cause for concern is the pattern of not coming out with our best effort on one night and them ramping it up the next night realizing the previous nights effort was not good enough. If that pattern continues it will cost us games. Now that we are in conference we can't afford those lackluster "just good enough" nights. Need to accumulate all those points from here on in.

hockeyplayer1015
10-31-2015, 02:06 PM
So Brandon..........should we declare this thread dead? Can't believe how little posting goes on these days. I agree with you. Having seen the Merrimack game in person they have a talented team.
I did get to watch the game on line last night. Pretty impressive arena, fans, everything about the program at PSU is impressive. It won't be long before they are one of the top teams in the country particularly with Gadowsky as coach. It is amazing how quickly that program has gotten off the ground with the sellouts and following they have.
As for the Saints the start is a good one for the most part. My only cause for concern is the pattern of not coming out with our best effort on one night and them ramping it up the next night realizing the previous nights effort was not good enough. If that pattern continues it will cost us games. Now that we are in conference we can't afford those lackluster "just good enough" nights. Need to accumulate all those points from here on in.

I hesitate to call it dead, at least I'm still going to continue coming here. Be it for our own little inclusive group, or banter with other fan bases. I see enough reason to utilize both this and the Facebook group.

I'm honestly glad to see the addition of hockey at PSU to be trending towards a successful venture. It's nice that they (well, Mr. Pegula) have made a true commitment to creating a strong program. It will be a road map for future teams to use for any further expansion.

I feel confident that the pattern of not coming to play every night will be worked out sooner rather than later. The vast majority of our lineup knows what it took last year in league play. Carvel won't accept it, either.